Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2247307 - 03/16/14 04:14 AM New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY!
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon

Steinway has purchased the rights to Wayne Stahnke's Live-Performance LX playback system and will be installing them at their factory! This is quite an historic moment for several reasons....Steinway is back in the player piano business after a 70 year hiatus (Duo-Art), and Wayne Stahnke will leave a remarkable and indelible legacy as the pioneer for the modern solenoid player piano!

I had been hearing rumors over the last few months that this was in the works. Back in May, 2007, when I received the very first LX on the market, I posted here that I thought the LX system was the best 'retro-fitable' playback system out there. Now it has evolved even beyond that. I don't think I will be selling my M&H RBB!

I really look forward to listening on my piano, to the artists that Steinway will acquire for their new LX recordings! Along with the basic LX, Steinway will also have Wayne's new LX recording system that will probably have close to, if not, a complete 100% accuracy recording capability, and a soft-pedal shift mechanism, just like a live pianist.

Congratulations Wayne Stahnke and Steinway! Wow! smile

Edited by Grandpianoman (03/16/14 04:15 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2247311 - 03/16/14 04:22 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
Very exciting news!

#2247313 - 03/16/14 05:10 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
John Paulson said he bought Steinway & Sons because he wanted a Steinway with a factory fitted player to add to his collection of four Steinways.

He has increased his potential market greatly at a stroke. There are many more people who can afford a Steinway who can't plan than who can.

I wonder if he realised that all along.

#2247387 - 03/16/14 10:39 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
MiguelAngel07 Offline

I assume that the LX System will still be available as a retrofit option for any other pianos. Any word on this?

#2247392 - 03/16/14 11:00 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: MiguelAngel07]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I wouldn't assume continued availability as a retrofit-Steinway may find exclusivity an advantage. Yamaha does with discklavier.

#2247460 - 03/16/14 01:11 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: MiguelAngel07]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: MiguelAngel07
I assume that the LX System will still be available as a retrofit option for any other pianos. Any word on this?
The system will only be available for retrofit for a short time until the existing stock runs out.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2247483 - 03/16/14 01:43 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
David, Las Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Wow, Very good news to hear Steinway will be upgrading their previous systems to the LX. I hope Wayne has benefitted from this news as his system has the best reproduced performance I've ever heard and can only enhance the quality of tones and tonal nuances that the Steinway piano is known for. The trap work for me was a bit of an exploration on each installation so I'm sure Steinway will engineer the pedal systems with factory precision.

Good news indeed!
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

#2247498 - 03/16/14 02:10 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
iObsessed Offline

Loc: US
Interestingly, I read somewhere that Steinway rolled off the first Steinway-Aeolian Duo-Arts in March a century ago. That's quite something to note, but I don't like this acquisition. I don't want Steinway mass-installing these player systems into their pianos, or else they will become Yamaha, although Bosendorfer has had CEUS for a long time. Either way, I really hope that not only does Steinway "keep a certain distance" from the LX, but also that they allow these systems to be purchased regardless of the piano's make. In other words, I want them to let the LX stand something like the QRS systems, not the exclusive Disklavier to Yamaha.

#2247742 - 03/17/14 02:17 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: iObsessed]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: iObsessed
I don't want Steinway mass-installing these player systems into their pianos, or else they will become Yamaha

What's wrong with that?

#2247753 - 03/17/14 03:02 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I think this is a smart move for Steinway, for obvious reasons. However, I hope that it remains available as a retrofit to other pianos. There is nothing else like it. Perhaps some of our members who are currently LX installers will comment.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2247976 - 03/17/14 03:59 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: beethoven986]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: beethoven986
.. I hope that it remains available as a retrofit to other pianos.....
Nope. It will be a Steinway exclusive. Once the retro-fit kits in stock are sold out, that will be it for non-Steinway factory installs.
Buy now or hold your peace forever... wink

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2248002 - 03/17/14 05:03 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Supply]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Supply
Nope. It will be a Steinway exclusive. Once the retro-fit kits in stock are sold out, that will be it for non-Steinway factory installs.

That... sucks. Lol.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2248006 - 03/17/14 05:13 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: beethoven986]
JohnSprung Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By: Supply

That... sucks. Lol.

Isn't it also a dumb business mistake? They're just giving away the retrofit market to competitors.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2248035 - 03/17/14 06:19 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
As a matter of interest, what is the source of this news?

#2248059 - 03/17/14 07:06 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
iObsessed Offline

Loc: US
Oh by the way, will the LX work with upright pianos? I really hope there's a variant for uprights.

#2248061 - 03/17/14 07:13 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
I can confirm the news, having talked with Wayne last week. I called to order a couple kits, and think that I bought the last one. He said that they will only be factory installed on Steinways now. I inquired about the shift pedal solenoid, and he said that they were no longer available. So, apparently that was part of the Steinway deal.

#2248066 - 03/17/14 07:32 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: iObsessed]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: iObsessed
Oh by the way, will the LX work with upright pianos? I really hope there's a variant for uprights.

The LX could be installed on uprights. But, it's a mute point if they are no longer available. I think that it's a great move for Steinway, and I hope that Wayne made out well on the deal. Personally, I don't like it because I will now longer have LX's to sell. But I doubt they were flying off the shelves as retrofit kits. I found them tough to sell due to price. It's a great system, but I wasn't able to sell many.

#2248262 - 03/18/14 08:55 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: JohnSprung]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: JohnSprung

Isn't it also a dumb business mistake? They're just giving away the retrofit market to competitors.

Not at all. This is SOP (standard operating procedure)for Steinway for many decades. They will have a few design features changed, come up with a beautifully marketable name, disconnect Wayne with the product in their marketing, bump up the price by many thousands, and sell to Steinway buyers in the same chic that Essex and Boston pianos are sold.

This is par for the course. It actually would not surprise me if Wayne could sell his own systems in the future under another name and company. We'll see.

Good move Steinway.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2248320 - 03/18/14 11:20 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Rich Galassini]
MiguelAngel07 Offline

Rich Galassini's post makes perfect sense to me. Let's hope that he is right and that some form of Wayne's LX system will eventually be available again as a retrofit.

#2248325 - 03/18/14 11:48 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I keep thinking of the example of the Lyngdorf stereo systems. A little word manipulation and anything is possible. After all, the LXii System may appear shortly.

It will be interesting to see if it will be available on Boston, Essex, and Lang Lang, too.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2248347 - 03/18/14 12:12 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

I expect you are right, Rich. Hopefully, the current LX's will be able to play whatever music Steinway produces. If not, there is plenty of music currently available.

#2248568 - 03/18/14 07:47 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Rich Galassini]
JohnSprung Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
This is par for the course. It actually would not surprise me if Wayne could sell his own systems in the future under another name and company. We'll see.

I guess it depends on the duration of the non-comp clause....

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2248649 - 03/18/14 10:26 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
court_lannom Offline

Live Performance LX retrofit kits will be available through a select group of five installers (fortunately, I am one) located in the west, central, east and southern parts of the continental U.S.

#2248740 - 03/19/14 06:16 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: court_lannom]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: court_lannom
Live Performance LX retrofit kits will be available through a select group of five installers (fortunately, I am one) located in the west, central, east and southern parts of the continental U.S.

Thank you for that Court. This is a pleasant surprise to me as Steinway has always sought to buy exclusivity when they went into an agreement like this one.

The publicity (and hopefully development) of the LX by Steinway ought to be very good for your business.

Are you aware of any exclusive features that the Steinway system will have over what you install or are they to remain identical? This might not be a fair question and I understand if you do not yet know the answer.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2249522 - 03/20/14 03:09 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations, Court! Evidently, I didn't have the full story. But that's ok. I didn't think that I would have LX's available to install before, and I still won't, so nothing has really changed. I didn't sell very many, so I can't really complain. The player market hasn't been very robust around here the past few years, even for the less expensive ones. I will be happy with my final order.

#2261831 - 04/14/14 11:30 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
Majestic Piano Works Offline

Loc: Canoga Park, CA.
Better late then never in congratulating Wayne Stahnke and Steinway on the recent acquisition. We have two of the premier names in the Piano industry joining together. Steinway should consider themselves very lucky to be able to represent such an incredible product. For the record, there is a small group of technicians called the "loyal installers" who have been granted the rights from Steinway to purchase and install LX systems. For those who consider themselves sophisticated listeners of great piano performances, your opportunity is still available.
Nick Morris
Majestic Piano Works
Live Performance Installation Center
www.Pianosoftware.com

#2261847 - 04/15/14 12:06 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Interesting news. Did Steinway give you that in writing? And did they raise prices?

#2262016 - 04/15/14 08:35 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Majestic Piano Works]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Majestic Piano Works
Steinway should consider themselves very lucky to be able to represent such an incredible product.

Actually, it's the other way around.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2262081 - 04/15/14 11:17 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Upstate N.Y.
Now, if Steinway is really smart, they would make the system available on factory rebuilt pianos!
Yamaha P155

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, AEMontoya, 89grand, 36251, 49 invisible), 1240 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157097 Topics
2307149 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
Today at 03:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission