Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
130 registered (AmandaO, accordeur, Allan Sutton, A Guy, anamnesis, 36251, 32 invisible), 1616 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2247310 - 03/16/14 04:19 AM New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY!
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Just posted this in the main PW forum...what great news!

Steinway has purchased the rights to Wayne Stahnke's Live-Performance LX playback system and will be installing them at their factory! This is quite an historic moment for several reasons....Steinway is back in the player piano business after a 70 year hiatus (Duo-Art), and Wayne Stahnke will leave a remarkable and indelible legacy as the pioneer for the modern solenoid player piano!

I had been hearing rumors over the last few months that this was in the works. Back in May, 2007, when I received the very first LX on the market, I posted here that I thought the LX system was the best 'retro-fitable' playback system out there. Now it has evolved even beyond that. I don't think I will be selling my M&H RBB!

I really look forward to listening on my piano, to the artists that Steinway will acquire for their new LX recordings! Along with the basic LX, Steinway will also have Wayne's new LX recording system that will probably have close to, if not, a complete 100% accuracy recording capability, and a soft-pedal shift mechanism, just like a live pianist.

Congratulations Wayne Stahnke and Steinway! Wow! smile

Edited by Grandpianoman (03/16/14 04:20 AM)

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2247629 - 03/16/14 08:00 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
SpectrumMan Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Well you convinced me. I purchased the LX system for my piano last week. Roy Peters will do the install. GrandPianoman bombarded me with his excellent recordings.

So here's some questions that remain:
I am assuming the Steinway will make recordings with Steinway artist, but would they be available on the existing LXs? Wayne wanted me know that it will be an orphan product. I thought that meant that it would not be able to play any new discs that Steinway produces. ??????

How many LX installs are there?

Michael Wathen
Baldwin C - Wapin

#2247733 - 03/17/14 12:52 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Interesting! Thanks for posting the news. thumb

#2247735 - 03/17/14 12:55 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Just to set the record straight, I do not believe Steinway ever made player pianos before. They made pianos that other companies (Welte and Aeolian) made into player pianos, but they did not make or install players.

#2247736 - 03/17/14 01:00 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: BDB]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: BDB
Just to set the record straight, I do not believe Steinway ever made player pianos before. They made pianos that other companies (Welte and Aeolian) made into player pianos, but they did not make or install players.

Certainly they never made the player units (DuoArt or anything else). But there were factory-new pianos that had to have been made in New York with the extra-long action compartments necessary to accommodate the player units. Were the player units installed at the NY factory or were the NY factory-new units shipped elsewhere to have the players installed?

It is definitely not true that other factories acquired Steinway pianos and reworked them to have players. Steinway was definitely cooperative/complicit at some level.

Knowing what the facts are has been complicated by Steinway's denials of involvement, so I'm told. . .

#2247738 - 03/17/14 01:12 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
BDB Online   content

As far as I know, they were shipped away, and they were sold by Aeolian, not by Steinway. I am not certain about the deal with Welte. When Aeolian went bankrupt, Steinway repossessed the pianos they had sent to them to have players installed, and rebuilt them as straight pianos.

#2247744 - 03/17/14 02:23 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: BDB]
phacke Online   content

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
When Aeolian went bankrupt, Steinway repossessed the pianos they had sent to them to have players installed, and rebuilt them as straight pianos.

I got one of those. Normal (not elongated) key stick lengths, to be sure.

Though it would be more accurate to write that they merged with Ampico in '32 than gone bankrupt then, I think.

best wishes-

Edited by phacke (03/18/14 01:09 AM)

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin
F. Chopin, Prelude 28 (15)

#2248763 - 03/19/14 08:18 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: kpembrook]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Originally Posted By: kpembrook

Certainly they never made the player units (DuoArt or anything else). But there were factory-new pianos that had to have been made in New York with the extra-long action compartments necessary to accommodate the player units. Were the player units installed at the NY factory or were the NY factory-new units shipped elsewhere to have the players installed?

It is definitely not true that other factories acquired Steinway pianos and reworked them to have players. Steinway was definitely cooperative/complicit at some level.

Knowing what the facts are has been complicated by Steinway's denials of involvement, so I'm told. . .

I have encountered these as well, but almost always the system has been removed during rebuilding. These have every appearance of being made at the NY S&S factory. Who installed the player units and where, I do not know.

(The future for Steinway is looking better.)

Edited by bkw58 (03/19/14 08:22 AM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#2248767 - 03/19/14 08:29 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I researched 1927 ex player that Steinway records said was delivered to Aeolian - I'm assuming Aeolian purchased the piano, then sold it to a dealer. If it was shipped to Aeolian for the install, then returned to Steinway, I'm sure the destination would have been other than Aeolian.

#2248771 - 03/19/14 08:45 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Bob]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob
I researched 1927 ex player that Steinway records said was delivered to Aeolian - I'm assuming Aeolian purchased the piano, then sold it to a dealer. If it was shipped to Aeolian for the install, then returned to Steinway, I'm sure the destination would have been other than Aeolian.

Thanks, Bob. I am wondering. In those days was Aeolian not located in NYC? Is it possible that these Steinway grands, destined for S&S dealers, were simply dropped off at Aeolian for the unit installation and, from there sent on to the dealer?

#2248780 - 03/19/14 09:07 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Aeolian ordered and purchased the custom pianos from Steinway and they were marketed through their (Aeolian) own distribution system. Steinway built longer versions, about 7", of models M, O & L, and A-III to accommodate the Duo Art mechanisms. These were the models XR, OR, and AR, respectively. There was also an odd player system, installed in S&S pianos, which was external to the piano cabinet. It was designated with a 'Y' as in 'YM'.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2248785 - 03/19/14 09:23 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
bkw58 Offline

Thanks, Marty. I did not know this. Then, presumably, a non-S&S dealer could floor these particular Steinways ?

#2248815 - 03/19/14 10:40 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Bob,

I believe that is the case. Early on, the "dedicated dealership" wasn't nearly as strict as today.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2248817 - 03/19/14 10:45 AM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Grandpianoman]
BDB Online   content

Part of the agreement with Aeolian is that Aeolian would not compete with Steinway for the top-level market, which they had been doing with their Weber line.

#2248945 - 03/19/14 03:43 PM Re: New Owners of Wayne Stahnke's LX System--STEINWAY! [Re: Minnesota Marty]
phacke Online   content

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Aeolian ordered and purchased the custom pianos from Steinway and they were marketed through their (Aeolian) own distribution system. Steinway built longer versions, about 7", of models M, O & L, and A-III to accommodate the Duo Art mechanisms. These were the models XR, OR, and AR, respectively. There was also an odd player system, installed in S&S pianos, which was external to the piano cabinet. It was designated with a 'Y' as in 'YM'.

Greetings Marty-
My best read is that the M-style Grands with the external role-playing spool box that did actually ship as players were called Aeolian Style XY. On the other hand, those products that were returned to S&S from Aeolian for selling by S&S as regular grand pianos (without player) were designated by S&S as YM. I would be happy if hear if anyone has any solid contradictory info, for example, has seen a YM, YL, or YA with a vintage Aeolian player mechanism in it.

Regards-

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin
F. Chopin, Prelude 28 (15)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
11 minutes 13 seconds ago
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
Today at 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
Today at 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
Today at 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
Today at 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348919 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission