2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
B
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
I consider myself to have AP. Why?

When I did interval tests, I would hear the first note (C), the second note (A flat), then would identify the interval based on knowing the names of those two notes. I don't know what an interval is unless I know the two notes.

When I did chord identification, with inversions, I would identify the four notes of the chord, then listen for the bass note. I would hear B-D-F-G, and would identify it as the first inversion of V7 for C major.

When I did melody playback, I never understood why the examiners played the tonic chord before playing the melody. The notes came time me like words on a piece of paper.

I don't think about intervals and note relationships, all I do is hear the notes and I know their names.

I also have a common issue with other people with AP - I mix up octaves and registers all the time.

By the way, my ricebowl resonates at an E, and my larger soupbowl resonates at a C.

This describes my AP experience almost perfectly. When I first started taking music theory classes, it was at first hard for me to identify all the different seventh chords because I was accustomed to just thinking of a chord as "C major plus a B-flat" and rather than recognizing inversions by their aggregate sound (so to speak) I would have to listen and figure out which note was in the bass and then figure out the inversion from there. I too confuse octaves now and then (usually I'm only off by one octave if any) and I also tend to sometimes confuse perfect 4ths and 5ths because they are comprised of the same notes (6ths/3rds and 2nds/7ths sound different enough from each other that they aren't a problem)

The syllables I hear for the notes are fixed do solfege, but without accounting for different syllables as sharps or flats (G natural, G flat, and G sharp are all "sol" to me but I know by the harmonic context whether there is an accidental - I think this partly explains why I have difficulty with double flats and sharps when playing music in complex keys.)

In general, automatically knowing the solfege syllables was a great help to me in sight singing classes until I transferred to a school that used moveable do. I remember one day we were practicing some sight-singing, but it was written in soprano clef, so I had to transpose the notes in my head to treble clef. The music was in a key other than C, so then I had to mentally transpose it again to make up for the fact that I hear music in fixed do, and then to top it all off, the excerpt we were singing was too high for the students' voices so the teacher transposed it down a few steps! I'm still not sure how I got through class that day - my brain was tied in knots!

I sometimes have difficulty singing a note on command (for some reason the note that comes out of my mouth isn't always the same as the note I'm hearing in my head....) and I sometimes have difficulty identifying the pitch of a non-musical tone (for example if someone asks me "what pitch is that dog barking at?" or something weird like that.)

If a piano (or some other instrument) is out of tune, I will still identify the notes as what they are supposed to be up to a certain point. A slightly flat A still sounds like A to me (just like we might identify light green or dark green colors all as "green"). Playing on a VERY out of tune piano is distracting to me, especially when the entire piano isn't equally out of tune, for example if the bass keys are much flatter than mid-range keys.

I think that possibly having extremely good relative pitch might actually be more useful than having absolute pitch, but at the same time I don't think I would want to give up my absolute pitch! My husband and I were reading along with Messiaen's Transfiguration the other day and it was beyond me how the choir could find their starting notes in various places without having perfect pitch.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
For those who think they have perfect pitch, what notes are being played from 5:07 to 5:45?

My first guess was that the first note was a G#, but then I suspected that I guess half a note wrong. I was right on being wrong.

This is my solution.
||: G1 Ab1 Eb2 C2 D2 :|| Eb2 D2 G2 Ab2 C2 D2 Eb2 Ab1 G1

EDIT: Apparently I heard right.

Last edited by patH; 03/14/14 08:54 PM.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
Relative pitch is the most important skill to learn, even for AP possessors. You have to have very keen sense of the precise distances between intervals, especially if you're a singer.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just had my piano tuned. Does it have perfect pitch?

Yes! But it lacks the mouth to brag about it, so there's not much use.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission