2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Steinway has purchased the rights to Wayne Stahnke's Live-Performance LX playback system and will be installing them at their factory! This is quite an historic moment for several reasons....Steinway is back in the player piano business after a 70 year hiatus (Duo-Art), and Wayne Stahnke will leave a remarkable and indelible legacy as the pioneer for the modern solenoid player piano!

I had been hearing rumors over the last few months that this was in the works. Back in May, 2007, when I received the very first LX on the market, I posted here that I thought the LX system was the best 'retro-fitable' playback system out there. Now it has evolved even beyond that. I don't think I will be selling my M&H RBB!

I really look forward to listening on my piano, to the artists that Steinway will acquire for their new LX recordings! Along with the basic LX, Steinway will also have Wayne's new LX recording system that will probably have close to, if not, a complete 100% accuracy recording capability, and a soft-pedal shift mechanism, just like a live pianist.

Congratulations Wayne Stahnke and Steinway! Wow! smile

Last edited by Grandpianoman; 03/16/14 04:15 AM.
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Very exciting news!

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
John Paulson said he bought Steinway & Sons because he wanted a Steinway with a factory fitted player to add to his collection of four Steinways.

He has increased his potential market greatly at a stroke. There are many more people who can afford a Steinway who can't plan than who can.

I wonder if he realised that all along.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
M
M
I assume that the LX System will still be available as a retrofit option for any other pianos. Any word on this?

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I wouldn't assume continued availability as a retrofit-Steinway may find exclusivity an advantage. Yamaha does with discklavier.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MiguelAngel07
I assume that the LX System will still be available as a retrofit option for any other pianos. Any word on this?
The system will only be available for retrofit for a short time until the existing stock runs out.

JG
D
D
Wow, Very good news to hear Steinway will be upgrading their previous systems to the LX. I hope Wayne has benefitted from this news as his system has the best reproduced performance I've ever heard and can only enhance the quality of tones and tonal nuances that the Steinway piano is known for. The trap work for me was a bit of an exploration on each installation so I'm sure Steinway will engineer the pedal systems with factory precision.

Good news indeed!

David Chadwick RPT
Newark, Ohio
1931 Mason Hamlin AA
I
I
Interestingly, I read somewhere that Steinway rolled off the first Steinway-Aeolian Duo-Arts in March a century ago. That's quite something to note, but I don't like this acquisition. I don't want Steinway mass-installing these player systems into their pianos, or else they will become Yamaha, although Bosendorfer has had CEUS for a long time. Either way, I really hope that not only does Steinway "keep a certain distance" from the LX, but also that they allow these systems to be purchased regardless of the piano's make. In other words, I want them to let the LX stand something like the QRS systems, not the exclusive Disklavier to Yamaha.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by iObsessed
I don't want Steinway mass-installing these player systems into their pianos, or else they will become Yamaha

What's wrong with that?

Poetry is rhythm
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I think this is a smart move for Steinway, for obvious reasons. However, I hope that it remains available as a retrofit to other pianos. There is nothing else like it. Perhaps some of our members who are currently LX installers will comment.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beethoven986
.. I hope that it remains available as a retrofit to other pianos.....
Nope. It will be a Steinway exclusive. Once the retro-fit kits in stock are sold out, that will be it for non-Steinway factory installs.
Buy now or hold your peace forever... wink

JG
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Supply
Nope. It will be a Steinway exclusive. Once the retro-fit kits in stock are sold out, that will be it for non-Steinway factory installs.

That... sucks. Lol.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Supply

That... sucks. Lol.

Isn't it also a dumb business mistake? They're just giving away the retrofit market to competitors.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
As a matter of interest, what is the source of this news?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
I
I
Oh by the way, will the LX work with upright pianos? I really hope there's a variant for uprights.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I can confirm the news, having talked with Wayne last week. I called to order a couple kits, and think that I bought the last one. He said that they will only be factory installed on Steinways now. I inquired about the shift pedal solenoid, and he said that they were no longer available. So, apparently that was part of the Steinway deal.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by iObsessed
Oh by the way, will the LX work with upright pianos? I really hope there's a variant for uprights.

The LX could be installed on uprights. But, it's a mute point if they are no longer available. I think that it's a great move for Steinway, and I hope that Wayne made out well on the deal. Personally, I don't like it because I will now longer have LX's to sell. But I doubt they were flying off the shelves as retrofit kits. I found them tough to sell due to price. It's a great system, but I wasn't able to sell many.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Isn't it also a dumb business mistake? They're just giving away the retrofit market to competitors.

Not at all. This is SOP (standard operating procedure)for Steinway for many decades. They will have a few design features changed, come up with a beautifully marketable name, disconnect Wayne with the product in their marketing, bump up the price by many thousands, and sell to Steinway buyers in the same chic that Essex and Boston pianos are sold.

This is par for the course. It actually would not surprise me if Wayne could sell his own systems in the future under another name and company. We'll see.

Good move Steinway.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
M
M
Rich Galassini's post makes perfect sense to me. Let's hope that he is right and that some form of Wayne's LX system will eventually be available again as a retrofit.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I keep thinking of the example of the Lyngdorf stereo systems. A little word manipulation and anything is possible. After all, the LXii System may appear shortly.

It will be interesting to see if it will be available on Boston, Essex, and Lang Lang, too.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission