2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cardinal201
At what point, typically, does continuing to progress start to interfere with other activities and students need to make some tough choices?

I think it really just depends on how much priority piano retains throughout the course of his life as a student. If the love for music remains intact above all other loves, there is no reason any "tough" choices need be made.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by keystring

- practice the things that need work, rather than what you can already do well

Correct, but dangerous. If you only practice what needs work, you lose confidence, and you don't hear music coming out of your practice.

I would suggest rather to toggle between what most needs work (weaknesses) and laser focus on things you already do WELL.

You do the hard practice on weaknesses, but then you take some things that you have success with, things that you feel good about, and then you concentrate on a couple places that are not almost perfect. This is still "what needs work", but it has a different feel to it.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Gary D.

Correct, but dangerous. If you only practice what needs work, you lose confidence, and you don't hear music coming out of your practice.

I would suggest rather to toggle between what most needs work (weaknesses) and laser focus on things you already do WELL.

You do the hard practice on weaknesses, but then you take some things that you have success with, things that you feel good about, and then you concentrate on a couple places that are not almost perfect. This is still "what needs work", but it has a different feel to it.

This is what I do and what I recommend. Sometimes, I will just focus on what needs work due to limited practice time, and then every few days play straight through to see the progress I've made. That is enough for me, but everyone's different.

I think for a child of 7, the focus should be more on the having fun playing aspect while slowly integrating good practice techniques over time. That way it doesn't become too much of a burden, but progress is made and they begin to see how much fun it is when you can accomplish something really hard.

I haven't heard this child nor observed him practicing to say whether or not he is being burdened at this point.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yes. I think that is why I had the gut reaction, after watching that video, of immediately interjecting that playing for enjoyment should also be part of what a student does - especially for a young child. It was an instant feeling.

I was not that impressed with the video, and it wasn't because she was a violinist. Her advice was simplistic, sometimes insulting (don't practice while watching tv), and the fact that she herself practices one hour has nothing to do with students still developing skills.

When I read about the child in question, he practises and he also plays for enjoyment. If that is so, what is there to fix?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Chopin received 1 ea Louis d'Or per lesson,

[Linked Image]

with a gold content of 0.2255 troy oz. At today's rate, that's $308 even. While gold fluctuates against major currencies, it has pretty much held it's purchasing power over the past 2,000 years.

If Chopin reappeared and was offering $300 piano lessons, I'd be running to the ATM.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MaggieGirl
I have been mulling this over...my kid loves to draw/read/write, my friend's daughter loves basketball, another is a Jr Oly swimmer. None of us could tell you how long they practice those skills on their own. Sure teachers and coaches are involved and we can name the lessons we paid for. But to say - she practices 90 minutes a day, 7 days a week would be unheard of unless they were parent structured minutes. The swimmer jumps in his pool, the other practices in her yard, and mine is squirreled away.

The parent would say, he is always playing around at the piano, he loves it so much. The flavor of this post does not suggest child driven joy at piano. It sounds of parent observed structure.

They are very different scenarios. A parent with a malleable child can make them practice as much as the parent insists.

For the comment of will the time get longer and longer...it will only get as long as you - the parent wants it to get. If his life is balanced with time for rest, eating, school work, friends, parks, sports, music, and day dreaming then it cannot consume his time. If you let his life get bigger in other areas, piano can only take up so much of it. If you don't, then there will be as much piano as you want.

(caveat: parent only, not a teacher)

Well, as a teacher I would very much agree with what you wrote. smile

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Chopin received 1 ea Louis d'Or per lesson,

[Linked Image]

with a gold content of 0.2255 troy oz. At today's rate, that's $308 even. While gold fluctuates against major currencies, it has pretty much held it's purchasing power over the past 2,000 years.

He had to buy a lot of gloves. smile

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J

Yes! and also dangerous because, if you leave things in a neglected "already do well" category for too long.... they become not so great, and then you lose even more confidence.

1989 Baldwin R
C
OP Offline
C
Bumping this thread as, in a quasi-experiment of sorts, I actually timed my kiddo at the piano the other day... Over the course of the afternoon and early evening, he was at the piano for over 3 hours but only practiced about half that time (it was almost exactly half, so interesting!). Talk about inefficient practice, haha! I never realized how much time he spends just stretching. Is that maybe a sign that practice is quite physically tiring for him? I asked him if he'd rather do something else (go outside, play a game, read a book, etc.), but nope!

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Bumping this thread as, in a quasi-experiment of sorts, I actually timed my kiddo at the piano the other day... Over the course of the afternoon and early evening, he was at the piano for over 3 hours but only practiced about half that time (it was almost exactly half, so interesting!). Talk about inefficient practice, haha! I never realized how much time he spends just stretching. Is that maybe a sign that practice is quite physically tiring for him? I asked him if he'd rather do something else (go outside, play a game, read a book, etc.), but nope!

Watch kids playing their favorite video games, then see how much time spend stretching. smile

The whole problem is that practice and play do not become the same thing. "Play" means have fun. Practice means do it right. When doing it right becomes fun, the avoidance stops.

C
OP Offline
C
Gary D., I think you nailed it. He's always very determined to "get it right". But if he's not having fun, what the heck is he doing it for? I'd much rather the two of us go out for a bike ride in this beautiful weather we've been having than be indoors for hours "stretching"/practicing piano!

My 8 y.o. boy is still struggling to strech his practice past 10 minutes. You are lucky.

Piano: 1905 Heintzman Upright
Time in: 3 years! Wow!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So here's a question to take our minds off the price of gold:

What pieces exactly is this 6-year old playing? The OP mentioned "études". What would those be exactly? Certainly not the Op. 10. What repertoire pieces is he playing? that will tell us a lot about what is happening with him.

1.5 hours is far too much practice for almost any 6-year old except for a prodigious talent. Is this what this kid is?

Just curious...

Originally Posted by laguna_greg

1.5 hours is far too much practice for almost any 6-year old except for a prodigious talent.

I'd tend to agree about that much practice for that age. However, I'm curious why that would be different if there is talent. A talented child has the same physical makeup, stamina, and needs as an untalented child the same age. In fact, he might be more sensitive and thus vulnerable, including physically, am I right?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
A talented child has the same physical makeup, stamina, and needs as an untalented child the same age. In fact, he might be more sensitive and thus vulnerable, including physically, am I right?

Having watched my sister, who was something of a prodigy in more than one area, grow up into the professional ballerina that she is today, I would say that you're right. In most cases, talent lies in part in the fact that a child has physical capabilities and/or stamina beyond those of a typical child that age, but even the most talented children have their limits.

There is one indispensable characteristic that I think separates those who will go on to become successful professional dancers (or musicians) from those who won't, however: burning passion. When my sister was thirteen years old, she was interviewed by a local newspaper man. In that interview, she said: dancing is my drug. From a very young age, she was incapable of *not* pursuing her passion. To her, it was as essential as, if not more essential than breathing and eating.

So from that angle, I can see how someone might say: for a truly talented child, multiple hours of daily practice might be "just the way it is", even at the age of six. Don't force them to do it. Don't sit there and tell them to "focus on practice, dammit". But if they simply *want* to practice that much, there may not be anything you can say or do to stop them.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My experience has been that a really talented child will want to spend that much time. It won't be an effort or a chore, and it will not require hardly any prodding from the parent. Also, they'll be able to sustain the intense focus needed during practice to produce results. That's a kind of talent in itself. The less talented child simply can't sustain that until they are much older, if ever.

As far as the physical or mental vulnerability goes, that's a myth.

I agree in large part with Saranoya about this.

My experience has been that a really talented child will want to spend that much time. It won't be an effort or a chore, and it will not require hardly any prodding from the parent.

Thank you for explaining your view further, because this is important. It also happens that children who are perceived as talented are pushed and pressured, and nobody should use this idea for that purpose. Allowing someone to practise more, is different than pressuring them to do so.

As far as the physical or mental vulnerability goes, that's a myth.

The idea of myth assumes a preconceived idea that a society as a whole has put forth, and that gets accepted. My view came from conversations I have had with individuals, and their observations or experiences. I was not aware that anything was already "out there".

C
OP Offline
C

What pieces exactly is this 6-year old playing? The OP mentioned "études". What would those be exactly? Certainly not the Op. 10. What repertoire pieces is he playing? that will tell us a lot about what is happening with him.

1.5 hours is far too much practice for almost any 6-year old except for a prodigious talent. Is this what this kid is?

Just curious...

Hi laguna_greg, he's playing through Czerny-Germer's Selected Piano Studies, as well as Tchaikovsky's Op. 39, Schumann's Op. 68, the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, and Clementi's Op. 36. I highly doubt he's a prodigy, just a kid who has a passion for music and understands that practice gets him where he wants to go with it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Cardinal,

That is really good for a six year old!

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Just curious...

Hi laguna_greg, he's playing through Czerny-Germer's Selected Piano Studies, as well as Tchaikovsky's Op. 39, Schumann's Op. 68, the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, and Clementi's Op. 36. I highly doubt he's a prodigy, just a kid who has a passion for music and understands that practice gets him where he wants to go with it.

The word "prodigy" is over-used, but a six year-old who practices that much and is not being pushed to do it is unusual.

I am assuming he mostly does this without being pushed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission