2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I urge you to take part in many of the online ways to share your playing here. There's the monthly piano bars, the quarterly recitals, the themed recitals, and so forth. All you need is some way to generate an mp3 or video of your playing. There is something for every skill level and style of music.

It has helped me a lot to share my playing. The comments are supportive and encouraging, no matter how poorly I play!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jasperkeys
. . . I want to play better.

Nothing else matters.

Find a teacher you can work with, on whatever you think (and he/she thinks) needs work. You'll improve -- maybe slowly, but you'll improve.

I'm 68, and took my first singing lesson about two years ago. Piano soon followed - I haven't played seriously since I was a teenager.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
OP Offline
Back again; I do this whenever I happen to get a break here at work.

Sam mentioned playing for online recitals and such; this brings up a trepidation I seem to have for playing for other people. Didn't used to be like that but now I have to confess to being slightly self-conscious to do this, probably because of my technical insecurities. It's not out of the question in the future though.

And yes, the ultimate aim is to play better. Not just in a purely technical sense but more importantly, to convey a piece in a manner that communicates musically.

"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them." Andy Bernard
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jasperkeys
Back again; I do this whenever I happen to get a break here at work.

Sam mentioned playing for online recitals and such; this brings up a trepidation I seem to have for playing for other people. Didn't used to be like that but now I have to confess to being slightly self-conscious to do this, probably because of my technical insecurities. It's not out of the question in the future though.

And yes, the ultimate aim is to play better. Not just in a purely technical sense but more importantly, to convey a piece in a manner that communicates musically.

The nice thing about these on-line recitals is that they are not real-time. You aren't sitting in front of an audience but, instead, are facing the dreaded red-dot recording button.

I record with a lot of trepidation and nervousness. But - you get to do it hundreds of times if you want! Eventually you get a take that you can live with and post to the forums. The feedback is universally supportive in the Adult Beginners Forum.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
The nice thing about these on-line recitals is that they are not real-time.

Well, that's comforting right off the bat. Maybe in a few months I'll pluck the courage to do this. Thanks so much.

"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them." Andy Bernard
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by jotur
FWIW I'm 68 and still improving, including with the tenseness issue.

So yes, of course you can.

Cathy

ditto. I will be retiring next month, I'm 56, and only now am I learning how to play without tension.

I had a friend, 46 years old, who was contemplating getting his PhD and was talking about being too old... that it would take another 3 or 4 years and then he'd be 50!!! (egads!)

I asked him this... 'how old will you be in 3 or 4 years if you don't earn your PhD?'

think about it.

and trust me, there is a way to play without tension! It's a LOT of fun, but hard to relearn and retrain. SOOOOO worth it.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro
But - you get to do it hundreds of times if you want! Eventually you get a take that you can live with and post to the forums. The feedback is universally supportive in the Adult Beginners Forum.

One key aspect to recording is to try to get an early take that you can 'live with'.

Save it. Then perform as many times as you want trying to get that perfect take. Having one you can live with takes a lot of pressure off.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
OP Offline
Well, I'll be out of town for about 5 or 6 days but I want to say how much I've enjoyed reading every response to my concerns. I really appreciate you all and it's comforting to know a lot of you people go through the same issues. Thanks.

Before work I get up extra early to be able to have time to play the piano and there some times at 5:00 a.m. while I play that I think, "Right now, all over the world there's a lot of people playing and practicing on a piano." What a privilege to be able to do this even if we just play for our own enjoyment.

I don't know how true this is but I heard someone once asked a virtuoso concert pianist how he became such a master of the piano. He replied, "Before you can become a master, you have to be a slave." I've never forgotten that. Anyway, thanks again. smile

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Your avatar reminds me of my improv on a song in the play: Cats.

Touch me... you will know what happiness is....
Unless I'm hungry... (shrug)... then you're lunch....

Cute avatar... smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
C
retiring? I agree

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission