Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2193743 - 12/07/13 12:47 AM Seriously? *Another* improvisation?
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Why yes, yes it is laugh Um...I *will* get around to learning some real music for you to scoff at soon, but for now...it seems I have a poor sense of recognising appropriate pace/development ratio....not that that *technically* makes sense smile So...um...all I need to know is: is the rate of development still too slow? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if3WIvyz1I4 Of course, any comment is welcomed and greatly appreciated, no word could ever be too unsavoury or vile laugh
Xxx

#2194025 - 12/07/13 03:05 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I lasted about 35 seconds. And
Originally Posted By: FSO
is the rate of development still too slow?

Definitely.

Polyphonist

#2194071 - 12/07/13 04:06 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Aww ^_^ Thank you; at least I can trust you to be brutally honest....I really appreciate your continuation of the time...lasting....ness....and aww frown I guess sometimes we (I) have to accept there are things that we (I) simply cannot perceive about how tremendously slow I (we...no...) are/am....so...thank you smile frown laugh
Xxx

#2194083 - 12/07/13 04:24 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Just for a bit of perspective - the first two minutes could be condensed into ten seconds. As it is, there is far too much time and far too little material.

Polyphonist

#2194107 - 12/07/13 05:04 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

I thought you only listened to 35 seconds? wink Thank you...but still, I can't help that half of me that thinks: yes...but....but...establish the ostinato before *wah*. Seriously, I think I'm just far too patient for this music malarky; I don't feel the need to rush anything...like...ever. So...um...if everyone else would take ten seconds I might take as many minutes. I remember being told, actually, "your music never changes; only someone *already* in a deep trance could bear listen to it". Whilst I recognise that that's a *tad* over dramatic, um, the point is clear and well established; I have serious pacing issues...it's why I need help...thank you smile

#2194209 - 12/07/13 09:09 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
What if it were played in such a way that the RH ostinato were much quieter? All the interesting stuff is in the other voice. I don't think it's too slow, at least not slower than Satie or for heaven's sake Feldman. It obviously has a good overall structure; you're not just floundering or repeating due to lack of material. I do think over-emphasizing the unchanging ostinato makes it sound more boring than it is.
Loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
Always a fan of Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2194427 - 12/08/13 09:28 AM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh dear. Well...I suppose I have to laugh grin It...*sounds* more boring than it is? laugh I get your point...and I get Polypoo's point...urgh smile Why does music have to be so darn illogically opaque and logically transparent....I can't recall looking at a painting and thinking "it looks more boring than it is" grin Thank you hreichgott....your contribution has proven invaluable.
Xxx

#2194486 - 12/08/13 12:14 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
It's kind of like, "It's not what you say but how you say it" kind of comment. The idea is one thing, but the presentation of the idea is just as important. Sorry, I didn't get the chance to listen much yet but had to comment on that. smile

#2194496 - 12/08/13 12:41 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
stalefleas Offline

I skipped around in this and there are some interesting parts, where you start playing with the diminished chords in the left hand and some unidentifiable (to me) dissonances especially. I do want to emphasize that I think the contrast between these parts and the more consonant parts makes both of them stronger.

To be honest looking at the length really discouraged me from listening straight through, especially because the motive is so slow. I also got the sense that despite being an improvisation there is an overall arc to this piece, which is good. However skipping around I only discerned two basic themes, one consonant, a bit sad, yet hopeful, and the other dissonant, despaired, and passionate. If this an accurate assessment I do think you could benefit from condensing this into a 2 to 5 minute piece because you can certainly cycle between these themes two or three times with interesting variations. Or, condense this whole idea into a smaller part of a larger piece (it could work as an introduction, gradually building, a middle, a sort of calm break, or an outro, gradually fading away or even climaxing into one final explosion).

The comment you make about having to be in a trance is quite relevant to how I perceive your state of mind during this improvisation. Every so often I create similar improvisations where I really get lost in a simple (usually new) idea and can float around in it for a long time... certainly longer than twenty minutes. However I rarely record these sessions because while I am feeling very good creating them (sometimes just the very sound of piano is beautiful enough that harmonic variation, etc becomes irrelevant) they are boring to listen to. However often these sessions will inform a later, more logically cohesive piece or section of a piece.

What I am getting at, I suppose, is that these improvisations might make for excellent learning experiences for you and producing them is enjoyable (meditative, really). You can use this recording to gather ideas for a piece, but as it stands I do not feel is a particularly engaging composition.

But that's me--everybody likes different music!

#2243098 - 03/08/14 11:31 AM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Hello FSO -- been a while since you've been here! Miss you, and hope things are all right!

#2243465 - 03/09/14 05:54 AM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Hello FSO -- been a while since you've been here! Miss you, and hope things are all right!

+1

#2243876 - 03/09/14 08:33 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Apparently she uploaded something to her YouTube channel 10 days ago, so hopefully she is just busy...

Music is my best friend.

#2249028 - 03/19/14 07:10 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It seems FSO is back online.

Polyphonist

#2249418 - 03/20/14 11:10 AM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
ShiverMeTimbres Offline

You'll have to excuse my newbness, I really liked 10:22->10:50. It's not much of a departure from
what you were doing before, but it filled it in more, or faster... not quite sure.

#2249789 - 03/21/14 12:48 AM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Urgh...*must* you make me feel so bad for going AWOL? laugh I find your concern sweet and lovely...really! <3 I'm fine enough and sorry to have given you reason to think on my absence at all... frown Um...I've just been super busy...practicing... >.> laugh So...yes, sorry, thank you and I'll try to stop being so rubbish smile And if you'll spare me the same courtesy, I'll always excuse your newbness ShiverMeTimbres, ta smile
Xxx

#2290319 - 06/16/14 04:38 AM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
Hi FSO, I enjoyed listening. Something to be aware of is that some music is very private, so that in experiencing it a particular attunement is needed for full appreciation such as with late Liszt, late Beethoven, some Busoni and Stanchinsky. Other music is much more public - rather than needing an audience already attuned to it, it much more tunes the audience in such as with Prokofiev, earlier and middle Beethoven and the most popular Liszt. Maybe with what you do it is more important that the music find the right audience than for it to be redesigned to try and guarantee it more frequently will be liked? Only you know the answer!

The ostinato reminds me of some music from Liszt's oratorio Die Legende von der Heiligen Elisabeth.

I've been away as well, for eleven months, and am catching up some this morning to see what was missed. Unfortunately there only are topics in this forum which date back through March of this year - perhaps this is for the best as I have much piano practice to do today.

#2292372 - 06/19/14 10:34 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ta smile To be honest, I'd wondered where you'd wandered to...I don't know how you could bear just..sitting, reading through a past you've not lived for *too* long. Um...I agree, some music *is* a tad more exclusive in terms of its appreciability (to say nothing of "complexity" or "sophistication", of course, or goodness or any other synonomic {?} variation on a positive measure of value); private. I suppose...in many ways, the further removed one is from a genre (or time period, nationality, composer, even form) the less likely one is to appreciate the privateness...um...like Russian music; it's derived from a different harmonic system, with different value for asymmetrical forms, and so, to more Western ears, some dear composers I adore very, very much get less attention than they aught. Um...comparatively, I think it no trial to evade frequency in my displays' likedness laugh I mean...I suppose I *am* simply looking for a way to reconcile the privateness with the less so inclined, um, to merge the subjective into the objective, I suppose...it helps to be reminded once in a while that it's simply impossible smile So thank you; though I'm unsure truly to what extent we *can* consciously affect our voice, um, it's nice to hear that my attitude towards "artistry" does not wander alone laugh There are pianists for concert platforms and pianists for drawing rooms...and perhaps we have natures that direct us towards such forms. Or perhaps we don't smile But certainly there are limitations on certain modes of expression that may decry their intent...hmm...hmm.. laugh I hope your time away has proven fruitful beyond its months smile
Xxx

#2292397 - 06/20/14 01:05 AM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Hello FSO,
I just listened to your improvisation. Thanks, I enjoyed your piece.

#2292553 - 06/20/14 01:01 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
Parks Offline

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: FSO
It...*sounds* more boring than it is? I can't recall looking at a painting and thinking "it looks more boring than it is"

Reminds me of the Mark Twain anecdote, where he saw a Wagner opera while traveling through Europe, and commented, "Wagner's music is . . . . not as bad as it sounds."

"Genius is nothing more than an extraordinary capacity for patience."
Leonardo da Vinci

#2292554 - 06/20/14 01:02 PM Re: Seriously? *Another* improvisation? [Re: FSO]
Parks Offline

Loc: Northern CA
By the way, Fluttershy, I like the pacing. I think it works.

"Genius is nothing more than an extraordinary capacity for patience."
Leonardo da Vinci

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
Today at 12:02 AM
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Books to Learn Notes for Teenagers?
by pianoheart
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Jim Laabs Music - my experience buying a grand sight-unseen
by ernani
Yesterday at 09:44 PM
Buying a Grand Paino Sight-Unseen - my personal experience.
by ernani
Yesterday at 09:01 PM
Who's Online
72 registered (Anne H, ando, 21 invisible), 1616 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158628 Topics
2329753 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission