2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2249185 03/20/14 02:27 AM
M
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
I have a Certificate of Merit question, for my fellow MTAC members out there:

I haven't usually enrolled my beginning level students in CM, but I'm considering involving the younger ones and had a few questions:

1) When your students are taking level 1 exam, what level are they often using in their method books?

2) How long (average student) do you teach a student before having them take the prep exam?

Thanks!

Pianist and Piano Teacher
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
This is my standard in my studio:
CM Level Primer = Piano Adventure Book 2A
CM Level 1 = Piano Adventure Book 2B
CM Level 2 = Piano Adventure Book 3A
CM Level 3 = Piano Adventure Book 3B
CM Level 4 = Piano Adventure Book 4
CM Level 5 = Piano Adventure Book 5

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I don't enter lower level students, either, unless it's a transfer student who started in CM Prep/1 and the parent INSISTS on doing CM. I used to enter students in CM level 4 when they can play Clementi Op. 36 sonatinas, but now I won't enter any CM student until level 6 or 7.

CM is an excellent tool, though, for the average students who are in the lower levels, who need those extra 4-5 years of lessons to play Clementi Op. 36. I've seen CM kids, Level 1, who are still in Piano Adventures Book 1. There are, in fact, some Faber/Faber publications in the CM Syllabus in the lower levels.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I enter students in CM Prep level (or lev 1) at about 7-8 years old. Some of my younger students could probably do the performance part of the evaluation but they have to be able to read and take the theory test and it's easier when they are a little older.

I have my younger students do Guild first. It's less stressful, gives them an introduction to performing a program of pieces to be judged, and there's no written theory test.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
bzpiano #2249737 03/20/14 10:10 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks everyone, this is very helpful!

ezpiano - I like your list and approach. Looks like those levels would work great.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
If you look at your syllabus page 93, you will see Faber's Book Level 1 and 2A is used in Primer level. Then at page 95 has Level 2A and 2B listed for Level 1. That is how I got my idea.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
I enter students in CM Prep level (or lev 1) at about 7-8 years old. Some of my younger students could probably do the performance part of the evaluation but they have to be able to read and take the theory test and it's easier when they are a little older.

I have my younger students do Guild first. It's less stressful, gives them an introduction to performing a program of pieces to be judged, and there's no written theory test.

That is very true. Different kids respond differently to theory. Some little kids just get it instantly. I have a few students whose theory is far ahead of their piano-playing abilities.

And then there are some kids who seem to have built up this wall around their brains against theory of any kind. Then when you inquire more you find out they are bad at math at school, and they took forever to memorize their multiplication tables. This also happens to kids whose parents don't want to participate in helping in any way--they can't even be trusted to correct their kid's theory homework against the answer key. The parents' "don't ask me to help" attitude spills over to their kids.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ANZ
Different kids respond differently to theory.

I am totally agree with that. For the same concept, I have 5YO that get it right away in one lesson, I also have 15YO that cannot get it until 12 lessons later (with constant review)

That is also why I am not limit the CM test takers by the age, but by their ability. If a 5YO can do Level1, I will enter him for Level 1, I will not wait until they are 7 or 8 YO.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission