Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2250337 - 03/22/14 06:47 AM Am I cheating, or am I analyzing?
ShiverMeTimbres Offline

I started to do something recently.

I take whatever piece of music I am working on. Photocopy it out of my book and then review it.

I'm starting to note down intervals by putting a small x between the two notes that have the skip.

I haven't started to do it for any other intervals (yet).

But is this common?

Edit Note: And yes, this has improved my speed of picking up that piece.

Edited by ShiverMeTimbres (03/22/14 06:48 AM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2250339 - 03/22/14 07:05 AM Re: Am I cheating, or am I analyzing? [Re: ShiverMeTimbres]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I'd say: do whatever works for you.

I have always been told never to write note names in a score. I can see how writing down *every* name of *every* note in *every* score would be detrimental to one's reading ability. However, I've found that writing a note name in a score here and there is helping me recognise those same notes more quickly in other scores, and in other places within the same score. The thing that every music teacher told me would destroy my ability to read, is actually one of the few things that's helping me learn!

Don't worry about whether what you're doing with the intervals is "cheating" or not. It helps you, so you do it. End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned.

#2250345 - 03/22/14 07:28 AM Re: Am I cheating, or am I analyzing? [Re: ShiverMeTimbres]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
What ever you do now is probably just an aid and nothing permanent and if it is helping why not. It would appear to be the beginning of an analysis method that you should aspire to.

#2250357 - 03/22/14 08:02 AM Re: Am I cheating, or am I analyzing? [Re: ShiverMeTimbres]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
The positive thing about this is that essentially you are doing an exercise that makes you aware of one element of theory - intervals - and meshing the practical with the theoretical. If you use it as a crutch to circumvent reading (up two, down one) then in the long run it wouldn't be good. But as an awareness exercise it's good. Why not expand it by printing out more copies, and mark other things you notice about the music such as phrasing, chords, repeated patterns and so forth.

Advanced musicians do study the score to understand it. Part of reading music involves anticipating what comes next, by recognizing patterns. This also helps in interpreting it.

Quote:
It would appear to be the beginning of an analysis method that you should aspire to.

Said much better than I tried. thumb

Edited by keystring (03/22/14 08:02 AM)

#2250364 - 03/22/14 08:19 AM Re: Am I cheating, or am I analyzing? [Re: ShiverMeTimbres]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Bet you don`t delete the hard to reach notes (usually on chords) that don`t appreciably (IMO) add to the music . . .

""

#2250377 - 03/22/14 08:54 AM Re: Am I cheating, or am I analyzing? [Re: ShiverMeTimbres]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I think you're doing great. Analysis reveals theory.
Right now I'm studying chords in a way to recognize those chords that the intervals are making up. I"m playing simpler music that has intervals instead of chords. Easy to find simple music that does this for you. Watch for the chords written at the top of the treble staff. Can also learn what notes in the treble staff indicate what chord you should have in the bass staff. It's all very revealing. It's much fun learning chords like this.

#2250400 - 03/22/14 09:44 AM Re: Am I cheating, or am I analyzing? [Re: ShiverMeTimbres]
Chrisl Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I've found that analyzing a piece, looking for music pattern, repetitive or variations on the theme. This has helped me quite a bit.

#2250413 - 03/22/14 10:27 AM Re: Am I cheating, or am I analyzing? [Re: ShiverMeTimbres]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Fantastic! As you progress you'll find some things you don't bother with, and other things you'll keep or extend. Wish I could do this - I always get that disapproving look from the teacher when I haven't properly analyzed a new piece!!!

Kawai K3

#2250692 - 03/22/14 08:43 PM Re: Am I cheating, or am I analyzing? [Re: Saranoya]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, you're cheating. Hand over your piano card immediately!

No, in truth I think you're analyzing because it's new. When it becomes cheating is if you continue to do it on every piece the same way with no improvement. At some point it stops becoming analysis and starts to be a crutch. I think you'll know when that time is. Hopefully the recognition will become so automatic that you'll see no need to make a note of it. It's also not the speed of THAT piece you're looking at, it's the speed of the NEXT piece.

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
I have always been told never to write note names in a score. I can see how writing down *every* name of *every* note in *every* score would be detrimental to one's reading ability. However, I've found that writing a note name in a score here and there is helping me recognise those same notes more quickly in other scores, and in other places within the same score. The thing that every music teacher told me would destroy my ability to read, is actually one of the few things that's helping me learn!
This again depends on your method of learning. I don't let students write the note names in but it's because I want them to learn my method of reading. I use target notes. So instead, I allow them to circle target notes or label them, but no other notes. And I don't even like them to do that for too long. For me it's like never learning people's names because you know they'll always have name tags on. Any little thing like that should be used to aid the brain to figure something out. If you've done the same thing for a number of pieces and your speed isn't improving, it might be more of a crutch. I always say that most students can read any note if you give them enough time. The trick is fast identification.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (acortot, 36251, a-z0-9, accordeur, 46 invisible), 1615 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156071 Topics
2291896 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
07/22/14 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
07/22/14 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
07/22/14 08:03 PM
Recommend me some Shostakovich
by TwoSnowflakes
07/22/14 07:43 PM
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
07/22/14 05:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission