Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2250429 - 03/22/14 11:12 AM New Strings
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
How long does it take a new set of strings to settle in completely, and how often should I expect to have my piano tuned until they're broken in?

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2250500 - 03/22/14 02:07 PM Re: New Strings [Re: gsmonks]
tannertuner Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Depends on how often you have it tuned. I would tune a newly strung piano at least 5 times before I released it to you, then after a month, then 2 months after that, then 3 months after that, then maybe again in another 3 months then every 6 months minimum for as long as you have the piano. Expect a minimum of 2 years to stabilize, just like a new piano.
http://www.tannertuner.com

#2250554 - 03/22/14 04:02 PM Re: New Strings [Re: gsmonks]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
agreed, now in moderate climate the piano can stay "playable" for one year, once the stabilization cycle have been done (1 month 2 month, 3 months etc)

pitch lower less and less, and at some point only seasonal variations change the tuning from dry season tuning to "humid season tuning", hence the advantage to have it tuned always at the same time of year, and by a tuner that knows how to anticipate the motion due to the seasons.

In a stable climate, I have seen pianos staying at pitch and "tuned" for many years, despite real playing each day. about 20% variations in HR in one of those places (old houses with wooden floors and natural stone walls, very good exchanges with outside, moderate heating during winter. (no electric heating)

A good piano (good scale, computed taking in account an even/progressive stretch of the wire) resist well to moderate changes once the strings have settle IMHO.

Living in a really moderate climate (when compared to some) I can witness of some situations like this. It can happen under generally humid climate and under generally dry climate as well certainly.

I tune each year an upright that is 30 years old, located at 100 meters from the Atlantic ocean. No heating in winter.

The piano needs a standard tuning, nothing special, no pitch raise, for instance.

PS Playing forcefully or having very hard hammers (or even bad regulation) will put the piano out of tune whatever the efforts and quality of the tuner are.

Edited by Olek (03/22/14 04:04 PM)

#2250559 - 03/22/14 04:12 PM Re: New Strings [Re: gsmonks]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
See , how new strings are stretched (where ?), the pics date 1980 +-)
Grotrian Steinweg
Sauter
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6GjQDkF_AMQODl1NGtkQVpKSzA/edit?usp=sharing[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6GjQDkF_AMQYWozUmpORHlTMk0/edit?usp=sharing[/img]

strong push create a flatter strike line where the hammers will hit the strings and "age" a little the wire.

In our workshops the strings are massaged manually, with a hard wood piece. I was told "when it warms it is OK" . A tool is used where the body can push with some force while the hand moves the wooden piece up and down (upright piano)

if some indentation occur at the bridge at this occasion, it can even eventually provide a firmer contact wire/bridge and densify the wood under the string (better energy transmission, I was said ; proof : a metal plate installed at the bridge top reinforce the power).

The bridge pins are installed so the geometry is good with that small "channeling". All that in my opinion of course...

I heard some pretend nothing happens after the pin, but it does not sound totally reasonable to me.

Edited by Olek (03/22/14 04:20 PM)

#2250728 - 03/22/14 10:30 PM Re: New Strings [Re: gsmonks]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
With an adequate tuning schedule-a set of new strings will take nearly three years to stop moving. If the stringing workmanship is bad-it will take much, much longer.

#2251507 - 03/24/14 05:23 PM Re: New Strings [Re: gsmonks]
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Many thanks for all the info!

I have an old Armand (Heinzman stencil), serial # 979, that was rebuilt in 1976. It's still pretty much in tune with itself, although it's around 3/4 semitone flat overall. I sometimes wonder if it wasn't tuned to itself, rather than A440? By the look of it the strings are original.

Canadian-made pianos like it (Dominion, Bell, etc.) tend to get that characteristic thuddiness in the low range. I'm not expecting a new set of strings to banish that sound entirely, but I do want the sound to be more even: some notes are a bit dead-sounding, overall volume isn't uniform.

The hammers are still in good condition, no doubt because the old piano hasn't been played much. That said, I wonder how new-sounding 38-year-old felt can be expected to be?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (bennevis, 36251, AndrewJCW, angga888, beeboss, 23 invisible), 1252 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156081 Topics
2292030 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it worth upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard disk?
by CarloPiano
Today at 05:04 AM
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission