Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
148 registered (A Guy, acollins, ajames, Almaviva, 40 invisible), 1856 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2250582 - 03/22/14 05:02 PM Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more
piano man 3758 Offline

Hi everyone.
I have torn my rotator cuff and just had surgery Thurs. The Dr. says no piano for at least two weeks or more. Or more!! Yikes!!! I have refused narcotics and i assure you the pain of not being able to play is worse than the pain of the surgery!Now for the reason of my post. As many of you know I recently recevied my new Steingraeber. This news is just killing me. I have a question.Have any of you had this same surgery and how long was it before you could play again.? I have a Yamaha CGP1000 grand that plays,but it just isn't the same.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2250606 - 03/22/14 05:49 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I fell back in November and landed on my arm/elbow and injured my right shoulder/rotator-cuff. Thought it was a bad sprain for a few weeks and decided it was more than a sprain.

I went to the ortho Dr. who said I had frozen shoulder (from not using it, because it hurt), bursitis and crepitus (clicking/popping/crackling with movement due to scar tissue). The Dr. gave me a shot of cortisone in the shoulder joint and prescribed 6 weeks of physical therapy. He said that even if there was some tearing in the shoulder/rotator cuff, there was a 70% chance that therapy would help to regain pain-free range and motion.

I just finished up about 8 weeks of PT and my shoulder is much better, but a long ways from normal. The therapist said he would give the therapy about 6 months before I thought about surgery.

Also, the Dr. and the therapist decided to hold off on the MRI for now.

If within the 6 months of PT I'm not satisfied with the progress of my shoulder, I'll think about the surgery.

In the mean-time, and more related to your question, I've talked to as many individuals as I could who have had the rotator-cuff surgery. And, a lot of people in my small circle of friends and associates have had the surgery... a surprising number. As best I can tell, about two to three weeks is the threshold of time to allow the surgical repair to heal and begin some limited use of the arm/shoulder. So, the two weeks the Dr. mentioned is probably right, depending on the extent of the repair.

I never stopped playing the piano after my injury, but it hurt to reach way out and play the upper treble keys. I can reach out now and pound the upper keys pretty well, though I still have some mild pain. Thing is, I think I can play better now than I ever have before (wishful thinking? smile ).

The therapy has helped a lot, but I have not ruled out surgery as of yet. I'll know in about three and half more months. I still get this ungodly clicking/popping/crackling sound when I raise my arm a certain way, but it is getting better.

You can still play the piano with the other, good hand/arm... smile

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Rick

#2250607 - 03/22/14 05:49 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
You don't say what was excised during the surgery, or how it was performed. So in the absence of any real info, follow your doctor's advice.

Let's also say that you'll be lucky if you have a really good outcome even if you do follow your doctor's advice. Do you really want to jinx that?

So follow his advice. Watch lots of TV, eat and get plenty of rest.

(Hi Rick! Glad to hear you're doing well!!)

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2250636 - 03/22/14 06:54 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: laguna_greg]
piano man 3758 Offline

Glad you areoing much better Rickster! Sure hope I can play in 2 weeks.

#2250641 - 03/22/14 07:02 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: laguna_greg]
piano man 3758 Offline

Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
You don't say what was excised during the surgery, or how it was performed. So in the absence of any real info, follow your doctor's advice.

Let's also say that you'll be lucky if you have a really good outcome even if you do follow your doctor's advice. Do you really want to jinx that?

Laguna greg,
What do you mean that even if I follow my Drs. orders i'll be lucky to have a really good outcome? Did I understand you correctly? If so you have me a bit worried.

#2250651 - 03/22/14 07:12 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: piano man 3758
Laguna greg,
What do you mean that even if I follow my Drs. orders i'll be lucky to have a really good outcome? Did I understand you correctly? If so you have me a bit worried.

Piano man 3758, I can't speak for Greg, but most all of the people I've talked to who have had the Rotator Cuff surgery (several of them) have done very well after the surgery, although it can be a long recovery period.

Just think how wonderful it will be to play that new Steingreaber in a few weeks!! smile

Rick

#2250654 - 03/22/14 07:19 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hey PM3758,

Dude, sorry to hear about your ouchie. Bummer!

Hope it wasn't caused by dancing.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2250664 - 03/22/14 07:27 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
So sorry to hear of your forced hiatus from the piano, 3758!
If you need someone to exercise your new Steingraeber, I'd be happy to help! You need to...erm...keep that action from locking up with regular use...yeah, that's it!
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2250678 - 03/22/14 08:11 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: terminaldegree]
piano man 3758 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Laguna greg,

Piano man 3758, I can't speak for Greg, but most all of the people I've talked to who have had the Rotator Cuff surgery (several of them) have done very well after the surgery, although it can be a long recovery period.

Just think how wonderful it will be to play that new Steingreaber in a few weeks!! smile

Rick

Thans Rick. That sure makes me feel better!

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Hey PM3758,

Dude, sorry to hear about your ouchie. Bummer!

Hope it wasn't caused by dancing.

Yes of course! Too much dancing!! LOL!

Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
So sorry to hear of your forced hiatus from the piano, 3758!
If you need someone to exercise your new Steingraeber, I'd be happy to help! You need to...erm...keep that action from locking up with regular use...yeah, that's it!

LOL! You are more than welcome to exercise it just as long as I may use your new,expensive,fancy smancy bench!!

#2250709 - 03/22/14 09:40 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California

Laguna greg,

I think he's just trying to give you extra motivation, for those moments when you feel tempted to disobey the doctor (and thus prolong your recovery)

#2250736 - 03/22/14 11:13 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I can relate - I hope you heal soon and get back at the keys.

I had a ganglion on one of my right knuckles. Doctor said it was a quick and easy surgery with practically no down-time. Even in the OR I asked about piano and he said I could be playing before the end of the week. Supposed to be a 2 week recovery and I could do whatever I wanted as long as it didn't hurt.

It's been 3 months and my finger is all messed up. If I play piano it gets stiff and swollen the next day. I just started playing and have been so enthusiastic about it, and now this is killing me. I just want to play, it is my only release.

#2250750 - 03/22/14 11:41 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: Rickster]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Laguna greg,

Rick

What Rick said 2xs!

My experience with orthopedic surgeries is that, no matter what method is used, you don't often end up as good as you were before the injury. Avoiding surgery is always the best option, and most doctors opt for this conservative approach when possible. Like Rick said, a long recovery is very possible. Be as patient with it as you can

If the doc is planning to do this arthroscopically, then your chances of a good outcome are better than the old-fashioned way. In any case, you should follow the doc's advice about the after-care. I'm sure the doc has referred you to a physical therapist or soon will. They can asses the state of your recovery, your range of motion and relative strength before you try to pound the ivories. You should let them do this. Find a good one, make friends with them, and do what they tell you.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2250752 - 03/22/14 11:52 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
Almaviva Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
I'm so sorry to hear about your recent problems. Hopefully it was your right rotator-cuff that was torn. That way you can still play the left-hand repertory.

#2250805 - 03/23/14 04:15 AM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: laguna_greg]
piano man 3758 Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Garfield
I can relate - I hope you heal soon and get back at the keys.

I had a ganglion on one of my right knuckles. Doctor said it was a quick and easy surgery with practically no down-time. Even in the OR I asked about piano and he said I could be playing before the end of the week. Supposed to be a 2 week recovery and I could do whatever I wanted as long as it didn't hurt.

It's been 3 months and my finger is all messed up. If I play piano it gets stiff and swollen the next day. I just started playing and have been so enthusiastic about it, and now this is killing me. I just want to play, it is my only release.

So sorry to hear this Joe. I really hope you are better soon. Yes piano is a big release for us!!!
Laguna greg,

Rick

What Rick said 2xs!

My experience with orthopedic surgeries is that, no matter what method is used, you don't often end up as good as you were before the injury. Avoiding surgery is always the best option, and most doctors opt for this conservative approach when possible. Like Rick said, a long recovery is very possible. Be as patient with it as you can

If the doc is planning to do this arthroscopically, then your chances of a good outcome are better than the old-fashioned way. In any case, you should follow the doc's advice about the after-care. I'm sure the doc has referred you to a physical therapist or soon will. They can asses the state of your recovery, your range of motion and relative strength before you try to pound the ivories. You should let them do this. Find a good one, make friends with them, and do what they tell you.

Laguna Greg,Thanks for your excellent words of advice! I read your Bio and you have excellent credentials in this field.Yes it was done arthoscopically and yes he has prescribed PT.Will do what they tell me to do.

#2252188 - 03/26/14 01:37 AM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
tcpianoman Offline

dont push it no matter what. the tissue requires time to heal. you will thank yourself for your patience later with a pain free full range of motion and long lasting outcome.

#2252290 - 03/26/14 09:36 AM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more..."

I would keep the 'or more' in mind. It would be exceptional to recover as quickly as that. And if you think that is too slow, try recovering again after re-injuring yourself.

Best of luck with your recovery; I hope you feel better soon.

#2252373 - 03/26/14 12:01 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Hey Joe:
Hang in there and try to stay tough!
It's not pleasant but 2 weeks go by fast,
best wishes for your complete recuperation!
Norbert smile

#2252524 - 03/26/14 04:31 PM Re: Torn rotator cuff =no new Steingraeber for two weeks or more [Re: piano man 3758]
GeePee Offline

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
I had a ganglion removed from the base of my right thumb close to the wrist a few months ago. I was told about 6 weeks for a full recovery. I was able to start using the hand again to play (carefully) after about 2 weeks, I just had to watch the larger streches.

But what I did do for those weeks was to take the opportunity to work feverously on my left hand (ala Scriabin), and all those who have had the disipline to try this will know it works absolute wonders when you're back playing HT.

Maybe this is an option for you.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Elbow pain
by acollins
Today at 12:49 PM
an interesting find . . .
by Michael Sayers
Today at 11:00 AM
Choosing a Beethoven sonata
by MusicDoc
Today at 10:48 AM
Synth/Keyboard beginner need help with equipment purchase
by Seraphmoon
Today at 10:40 AM
Thinking of taking piano lessons again
by PianoStudent88
Today at 10:33 AM
Forum Stats
77325 Members
42 Forums
159938 Topics
2348778 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission