Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
111 registered (AnimistFvR, AndyP, anamnesis, 33 invisible), 1339 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2250673 - 03/22/14 07:53 PM Re: What is a musician? How do you become a musician? [Re: BostonTeacher]
ShiverMeTimbres Offline

Originally Posted By: BostonTeacher
Here's a video that will make you all smile :
http://youtu.be/qTKEBygQic0

You, BostonTeacher, have won the thread. I love this video smile

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2250760 - 03/23/14 12:18 AM Re: What is a musician? How do you become a musician? [Re: PianoStudent88]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Saranoya
I wasn't speaking of accessibility to ordinary music lessons. I'm talking about special opportunities, for instance the opportunity to study with a composer like Nadia Boulanger, or to go to the Curtis Institute in Philadelphia, or to attend masterclasses of visiting musicians. These must be earned, which is assessed by very musical adjudicators who determine if somebody can make the best use of the opportunity. In formulating their opinion, the musicality of the student must enter into the discussion.

Edited by Candywoman (03/23/14 12:35 AM)

#2250771 - 03/23/14 12:44 AM Re: What is a musician? How do you become a musician? [Re: Candywoman]
ShiverMeTimbres Offline

Originally Posted By: Candywoman
I'm talking about special opportunities, for instance the opportunity to study with a composer like Nadia Boulanger, or to go to the Curtis Institute in Philadelphia, or to attend masterclasses of visiting musicians.

I'm perfectly happy with institutions or private citizens having their own level of requirements before providing an education. However, bringing it back in-line with the thread, I personally do not associate the level of education that one has, to them being entitled to be labeled a musician.

I'm not saying you indicated this Candywoman, I'm just stating that I think Musician is too broad of a term to consider it to be focused in to only a select few.

You can have a socially perceived good musician or bad musician,
You can have an academically taught musician, or a self-taught musician.

I'm fine with someone, who has extreme knowledge in the area of music and can apply that knowledge to an instrument(s) being called a Virtuoso. That creates a rank system inside Musicians, just like any other trade.

#2250787 - 03/23/14 01:38 AM Re: What is a musician? How do you become a musician? [Re: Candywoman]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Originally Posted By: Candywoman
I wasn't speaking of accessibility to ordinary music lessons.

Fair enough. I was under the impression that you were talking about music lessons in general because you were *replying* to an ordinary piano student who said he doesn't get why we need an exclusive definition of the term musician. Also you talked about how, in your own daily practice as a piano teacher, you teach certain students for financial reasons whom perhaps you'd rather not teach if you had the option of ditching them. But if you're talking about masterclass-level opportunities, then *of course* a certain selection should happen. I don't think you're going to get an argument from anyone about that. Or at least, in my opinion, you shouldn't.

If we're talking that level, though, then I have to agree with some of the earlier commenters on this thread (you among them, if I'm not mistaken): musicality doesn't seem to be a high enough priority. It's missing in some people who are nonetheless widely considered accomplished musicians. It seems to be missing in many concours competitors. That's a shame.

#2251787 - 03/25/14 07:59 AM Re: What is a musician? How do you become a musician? [Re: BostonTeacher]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

thumb

Thank you BostonTeacher for that video! It's exactly what I needed today!

#2251799 - 03/25/14 08:30 AM Re: What is a musician? How do you become a musician? [Re: laguna_greg]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
No, I don't think one can. Either one is musical, in which case it can be developed, or one is not.

I think that there is often a stage in a student's development where they are focused on the mechanics of playing a difficult instrument. At that point they are really more of a pianist or trombonist or whatever than a musician.

It may even be a necessary step to master the craft.

But it is a step that most will get past.

So I don't think you should say a student is unmusical from a snapshot in time. They may be very musical but it is being suppressed by other factors, and will come out later.

#2251839 - 03/25/14 10:40 AM Re: What is a musician? How do you become a musician? [Re: TimR]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: TimR
Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
No, I don't think one can. Either one is musical, in which case it can be developed, or one is not.

I think that there is often a stage in a student's development where they are focused on the mechanics of playing a difficult instrument.

When I first read laguna greg's statement, I started to ask whether he taught beginners or only advanced students, in order to orient myself to that statement. I thought it was about beginners since he wrote about "developing" it. But before I could post the question, he wrote that he was thinking of students in competitions and festivals. So these would not be beginners or how he sees beginners, and it seems to involve other people's students that you might observe.

I'm with you, TimR and would go further. A student needs to learn the nitty gritties of playing regardless of talent. If everything is dashed off all the time, then something goes missing and it will probably show up at a more advanced level.

And then, the original question was "What is a musician?" It was not "Does talent exist?" Musicianship involves things that are done to the music, and a lot of that rides on skill and knowledge. Maybe an innate ability will allow a student to do more with those things, but they have to be taught.

Edited by keystring (03/25/14 10:45 AM)

#2251983 - 03/25/14 04:58 PM Re: What is a musician? How do you become a musician? [Re: TimR]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: TimR

I think that there is often a stage in a student's development where they are focused on the mechanics of playing a difficult instrument. At that point they are really more of a pianist or trombonist or whatever than a musician.

That can be true of a fine musician who is struggling with a new instrument.

How can anyone sound like a musician, playing, without the skills mastered to allow it to happen?

And if you can't SOUND like a musician, will anyone believe you are? I don't think so.

Physical limitations will be perceived as lack of "sensitivity" and so on.

#2251989 - 03/25/14 05:11 PM Re: What is a musician? How do you become a musician? [Re: keystring]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: keystring

And then, the original question was "What is a musician?" It was not "Does talent exist?" Musicianship involves things that are done to the music, and a lot of that rides on skill and knowledge. Maybe an innate ability will allow a student to do more with those things, but they have to be taught.

That's correct.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
11/25/14 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
11/25/14 08:07 PM
Completely OT- mods please move if necessary
by PhilipInChina
11/25/14 07:40 PM
Steinway "cottage" piano hammers
by ssenseney
11/25/14 07:19 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159356 Topics
2340878 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission