2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Hi everybody,

User0fDoom here (name changed).

I've done a piano improvisation!
Please take the time to listen to it, or at least some of it
[video:youtube]SGpcRyOhtg8[/video]

Last edited by AtomicBond; 03/22/14 05:34 AM.
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hmm...I got the impression from the first couple of minutes of some kind of Anime theme music; make of that what you will smile Definitely commercial as opposed to artistic (dans mon...opinion... laugh ) Throughout it had...*has* a distinctly modern (not to be confused with Modern) air. Um...if I were to be bold enough to make a suggestion, I'd timidly suggest you might try tying your themes together; it's fine to go rhapsodic and not repeat in any form whatsoever, but there should (in my oh-so-highly esteemed opinion) be some kind of undercurrent, some, shall we say, um, transcendent theme? I mean, the majority of your sections flowed nicely into each other, indeed, they could be said to be complimentary; but in compliment to what? Again, it's fine to offer a vista, a viewpoint onto a landscape and to make no other statement than to say "look", but, um, to do so and make others take note of its conviction is a tricky thing to do; certainly I'd consider myself incapable smile Do as you will of course, but I really recommend spending some time thinking "what am I trying to say here?"...think of the piano as your voice; if you were improvising words, poetry, you'd try and say something, right? In a similar vein, one *could* utter a string of nonsense...but unless that particular nonsense was very carefully and beautifully spoken, you wouldn't find many willing to listen long. Um...beauty doesn't have to be sonorous, it doesn't have to be demur or pleasant; indeed, some of the most beautiful things are painful, or hopeless, but one thing all beauteous subjects are, I've found, is sincere; at least by some party. Your playing isn't bad, by any stretch, but I detected a lack of sincerity...um...sorry frown If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same about a fair few professional musicians. Fortunately, that's something you can work on; take the time to really get to know yourself, why you're playing, what you're saying...who you are...in my oh-so-meh esteem you'll find what you create much more satisfactory and, usually, this translates into your audience as well...um...that's all smile Good...luck? laugh Keep at it, have fun, be serious, don't take yourself too seriously and you'll be alright.
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
A
OP Offline
A
Ok, thanks for the comments.

I wasn't really thinking at all as I was playing it, I just started and suddenly realised it had been 6 minutes! smile

It's interesting that you got the impression of it being like a landscape/vista. That's exactly what I was thinking after listening to it later!
I'll definitely take note of your comments about the 'transcendent theme' idea for my future improvs.
As the the anime theme sounding, I'm not at all surprised smile I've been listening/playing to a lot that sort of music lately (Such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO8EadQNIXU and the Animenz Piano Sheets version of that piece).

Thanks again for your comments. Anyone else have things to add to it?

Edit: Notice that 2:50 in mine is similar to 3:08 in Jiyuu No Tsubasa:
[video:youtube]EO8EadQNIXU[/video]
The whole "Chords going down one by one" to the 2nd Major to 5th Major

Last edited by AtomicBond; 03/23/14 10:22 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission