Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
137 registered (36251, accordeur, 661-Pete, 42 invisible), 1707 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2251737 - 03/25/14 02:16 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Roland The Beagle]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Roland The Beagle
Originally Posted By: carey
OK - now I'm finally on track. grin Just listened to the Opus 15 - and was impressed by the "freshness" of the interpretations - something I always enjoy about the e-citals on PW.

I made it a point not to listen to any recordings of mine. I have no idea what it's "supposed" to sound like. I do wish I could get a faster middle section free of any mistakes, but I have been so insanely busy it's a wonder I learned that piece at all really!

That's the same way I felt about my two submissions. I really needed more time. Personally I have no problems listening to recordings of pieces I'm working on. As an amateur I know I'll never be able to play as well as the pros ha but I appreciate hearing different interpretive approaches to the same work. It helps me make my own choices.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2251769 - 03/25/14 06:15 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
chopinoholic Online   content

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
My personal view on the performances. My first language is not English, so it's hard to find the right words to describe stuff.

Nocturne in B-flat minor, Op. 9 No. 1 - doctor S
Nice recording. Good dynamics too, nice flow. Loved the ending of the
middle section to start with the main theme again.

Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9 No. 2 - ChopinLives81
Nice sound from that digital! Good balance between left and right throughout the piece, allthough I
would have liked to hear the beginning of the ending really pp (like, ohoh something gonna happen)
and then at the con forza part really lash out and have a bang there with the stretto octaves. Then at the ending
as ppp as possible.

Nocturne in F major, Op. 15 No. 1 - Ronald the Beagle
I think it's brave to take up a piece like this (actually all of them). You voiced the main theme really nicely.
I really got the "nocturne feeling" there. It contrasted well with the middle section.
The only thing I would say is that the middle section could be played a little faster.

Nocturne in F-sharp major, Op. 15 No. 2 - Dame Myra
Wow the Doppio Movimento was really well played. Nice tempo! And nicely surrounded by the mysterious main theme.

Nocturne in G minor, Op. 15 No. 3 - FarmGirl
What a nice performance. I like the tempo you chose, I would like to hear the last part played with a bit more
dynamics. It fits all together nicely though, I like the performance.

#2251794 - 03/25/14 08:15 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Partway through the Op. 15s at the moment. I love everyone's sense of drama! And personal connection to the music. Chopin invites that, don't you think?
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2251813 - 03/25/14 09:01 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: hreichgott]

Originally Posted By: hreichgott
Partway through the Op. 15s at the moment. I love everyone's sense of drama! And personal connection to the music. Chopin invites that, don't you think?

I think so too. I think that is one of the major reasons that most of us like/love Chopin. When you're busy with a piece, you grow to love it even if you started it because someone told you to.

I also have that with other composers of course, but most with Chopin. That is why I am always keep adding his stuff to my rep I guess. grin

#2251816 - 03/25/14 09:17 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL

Nocturne in F major, Op. 15 No. 1- Ronald the Beagle : Very tender treatment of the A section. The middle section seems like a beast - have you ever tried it on an acoustic grand? I'm sure you'd be able to get a lot more "con fuoco" out of it , but you played it well, congrats!

Nocturne in F-sharp major, Op. 15 No. 2 - Dame Myra : Beautiful playing! Something about the recording quality and the upright? piano makes it sound like a recording made a long time ago, which actually added to the overall effect. Brava!

Nocturne in G minor, Op. 15 No. 3 - FarmGirl : I like how you set up the hymn-like quality of the B section with the "languidness" of the A section. When you get to the B section it sounds very hopeful. I didn't notice your husband making noise wink
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2251824 - 03/25/14 09:30 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Morodiene]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Nocturne in F-sharp major, Op. 15 No. 2 - Dame Myra : Beautiful playing! Something about the recording quality and the upright? piano makes it sound like a recording made a long time ago, which actually added to the overall effect. Brava!

Thank you so much; you are very kind. The piano was 1906 Steinway B.

#2251826 - 03/25/14 09:32 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: chopinoholic]
Ganddalf Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway

Nocturne in B-flat minor, Op. 9 No. 1 - doctor S
I was impressed by your performance. You handle the difficult poly-rhythmic parts very well. I also really liked the contrast between the main and the middle part of the piece.

Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9 No. 2 - ChopinLives81
The digital piano gave me an impression that you were actually playing the piece on a harp. You play very well with high precision and good control. Very nice to listen to.

Nocturne in F major, Op. 15 No. 1 - Ronald the Beagle
You really make the melody of the main part sing. Very beautiful to listen to. The "con fuoco" part is extremely difficult, and I can hear that you have done a really good job with it.

Nocturne in F-sharp major, Op. 15 No. 2 - Dame Myra
Very impressive performance! Technically and musically flawless as far as I can judge. The sound quality and recording made it sound very "authentic".

This nocturne isn't so often played, and I really enjoyed listening to your performance. I was particularly pleased with the transition between the first and the second ("choral") part. I think you succeeded in expressing the drama here.

#2251828 - 03/25/14 09:39 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: DameMyra]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: DameMyra

Sorry, the recording made it tricky to tell, but still I like the effect of it. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2251830 - 03/25/14 09:48 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Morodiene]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Originally Posted By: DameMyra

Sorry, the recording made it tricky to tell, but still I like the effect of it. smile

That's okay; it was a friend's piano. Very strange to play. Because of the size of the room (and because it was in an apartment/townhouse complex), the owner had the piano at half-stick! for the performance. I thought it sounded like an upright, too, when I received the recording.

#2251840 - 03/25/14 10:41 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Thank you all for your kind words. My recording is the result of no less than about 50 attempts to get a good recording and a lot of hard work to get a good sound out of my digital. I'm glad all that hard work paid off.

To all my fellow recital participants, Wow! Impressive job so far from everyone. I've really enjoyed listening to the submissions so far. It really hits home on a more personal level to hear beautiful music coming from people just like the rest of us. Keep up the good work grin

Edited by ChopinLives81 (03/25/14 10:41 AM)

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

#2251947 - 03/25/14 03:28 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: ChopinLives81]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: ChopinLives81
Thank you all for your kind words. My recording is the result of no less than about 50 attempts to get a good recording and a lot of hard work to get a good sound out of my digital. I'm glad all that hard work paid off.

Indeed it did.

but... 50!? Wow. I thought I had done a lot with a dozen or so spread out over a few days.

I had terrible trouble with sound this time around. First off, my piano at home went seriously out of tune over this dry and endless winter, so I didn't want to use it. (Oddly, it's now coming back into tune.) Then, when I began recording at a friend's place, I had terrible trouble with ambient sounds- furnace, outside traffic, birds in the windowsills, phone ringing- that my first half dozen takes or so were ruined. Then we experimented with a piezo-electric microphone that stuck to the bottom of the soundboard. This isolated the sounds, but I learned after recording that it had a kind of dynamic levels compensation built in (or that I hadn't shut off) that made the sound both a little too flat and a little too punchy at times. It also sounds a bit twangy. Alas, this is what I ended up with.

These are my caveats. :-)

Currently working on:
Chopin Etudes op 10 #12 "Revolutionary" and op 25 #2
Chopin Nocturne op 37 #2
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2252017 - 03/25/14 06:44 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]

At what interval will the different sets be posted?

#2252026 - 03/25/14 07:20 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: carey]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
OK - now I'm finally on track. grin Just listened to the Opus 15 - and was impressed by the "freshness" of the interpretations - something I always enjoy about the e-citals on PW.

Ronald, Myra, FarmGirl - Bravo !! thumb

Carey, you are so super kind. Thank you for listening to the newer recording and encouraging me to submit this. I could not decide which one to submit until the last minute. I knew I put more feeling to it. Ironically, perhaps because of it, I was afraid to submit it. I hope it makes sense. In the end I realized that the older recording had too much noise and mistakes. I will ask your opinion much earlier next time. Thank you.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2252027 - 03/25/14 07:29 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: chopinoholic]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: chopinoholic

What a nice performance. I like the tempo you chose, I would like to hear the last part played with a bit more
dynamics. It fits all together nicely though, I like the performance.

Wow, thanks. Yeah I agree about the dynamics in the end. I notice I hurried a bit in the end and did not play it out as I wanted. I would try to rerecord it after I get home.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2252044 - 03/25/14 08:08 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Ganddalf]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf

This nocturne isn't so often played, and I really enjoyed listening to your performance. I was particularly pleased with the transition between the first and the second ("choral") part. I think you succeeded in expressing the drama here.

Gandalf, thank you for your feedback. It means a lot to me. I consciously avoided to play more complex and well known pieces. It still was not easy for me but the simple beauty of the piece somehow carried me through to the end.

#2252060 - 03/25/14 08:35 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

#2252068 - 03/25/14 08:54 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
FarmGirl Offline

Op 27
I cannot listen to both pieces. It could be issues with my phone. Just wondering if anyone else can open and play

#2252069 - 03/25/14 08:55 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Works fine for me.

#2252071 - 03/25/14 09:01 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Wow, Mordiene. I loved that.

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne op 37 #2

#2252092 - 03/25/14 09:45 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: FarmGirl]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
It still was not easy for me but the simple beauty of the piece somehow carried me through to the end.

That's the most poetic thing I've heard all week. I have to agree on every level here. It really was a moving performance.

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

#2252094 - 03/25/14 09:52 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Wow, I'm amazed and quite moved. I would >buy< these recordings.

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne op 37 #2

#2252095 - 03/25/14 09:55 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Holy Smokes Morodiene!! That was wonderful!
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2252104 - 03/25/14 10:22 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
I always prefer PW recordings. I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest!

#2252128 - 03/25/14 10:58 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

#2252129 - 03/25/14 10:59 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

(I promise there won't be much more Rubinstein. It's for continuity purposes, for those who wish to listen to the nocturnes consecutively. I remember the last recital did this so I thought it would be appropriate.)

#2252130 - 03/25/14 11:01 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

No, no, not a problem. I'm liking this Rubinstein guy.

Polyphonist

#2252139 - 03/25/14 11:17 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm just so blissed out by everybody's submissions at this point! What a great evening. Thanks, everybody!

One particular example (as it just went by as I'm typing this): 2m30s to 2m33s in Chopinoholic's submission. Goooorrrrrgeous.

Edited by TwoSnowflakes (03/25/14 11:19 PM)
Tchaikovsky, Mars: Chante de l'alouette Op. 37a No. 3

#2252192 - 03/26/14 01:47 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
The Opus 27 - WOW !!!!!!!!

Morodiene - This is certainly the best I can recall having heard you play. Absolutely beautiful !!

Choopinholic - You gave a sensitive and passionate rendition of an horrendously difficult piece. Bravo !!

#2252220 - 03/26/14 05:54 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: carey]

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
I'm just so blissed out by everybody's submissions at this point! What a great evening. Thanks, everybody!

One particular example (as it just went by as I'm typing this): 2m30s to 2m33s in Chopinoholic's submission. Goooorrrrrgeous.

The Opus 27 - WOW !!!!!!!!

Morodiene - This is certainly the best I can recall having heard you play. Absolutely beautiful !!

Choopinholic - You gave a sensitive and passionate rendition of an horrendously difficult piece. Bravo !!

Thanks guys. It means a lot hearing this.

#2252221 - 03/26/14 05:55 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]

Nocturne in C-sharp minor, Op. 27 No. 1 - Morodiene
Omg, what a nice dark piece you put together. I listened to it a couple of times and the despair in the main theme is really well carried out.
Then the really hard middle part was nicely built to that e octave followed by the octave passage.
I loved it smile

Nocturne in D-flat major, Op. 27 No. 2 - chopinoholic
Well, what about those wrong notes you played? Didn't you have a better recording of this piece?

Nocturne in B major, Op. 32 No. 1 - Brad Hoehne
Nicely played, but the recording is somewhat harsh. You explained it yourself a couple of posts above and it looks to me that some feature is turned on on the recording device to level out the soft and the louder parts.
You have created your own interpretation of the piece and it certainly has the flow. Well done.
( I don't have the score with me now, but the staccato chords in the end, don't they have pedal markings?)

Nocturne in A-flat major, Op. 32 No. 2 - dynamobt
I love this nocturne. It has such a nice swing, like it wants to go away, running! You played it very pretty. I heard the middle section often bashed away and I think you played it well under control. Thank you for the submission.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations - Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
12/20/14 12:43 PM
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
12/20/14 10:26 AM
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
Forum Stats
77371 Members
42 Forums
160013 Topics
2349842 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission