Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
89 registered (bennevis, beet31425, Beemer, A2mom, Ben_NZ, 24 invisible), 1075 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2252721 - 03/26/14 09:39 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Nocturne in G minor, Op. 37 No. 1 - ElaineAllegro

This nocturne is cool. I have to add this to my todo list. Nicely played.

Nocturne in G major, Op. 37 No. 2 - Artur Rubinstein

Okay.

Nocturne in C minor, Op. 48 No. 1 - Artur Rubinstein

Whatever.

Nocturne in F-sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 - BruceD

As usual, solid work. You hold this big nocturne together very well and your ornaments are great.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2252816 - 03/27/14 02:38 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Nocturne, Opus 72 No. 1 - PikaPianist - Exquisite from start to finish !!

Nocturne, B. 49 - doctorS - Beautifully played - although I found the asynchronization between the LH and RH on the first beat of several measures to be somewhat disconcerting. Don't know if that was intentional or subconscious on your part.

Nocturne, B. 108 - TwoSnowflakes - Delicate, relaxing and musical !! Well done !!

#2252820 - 03/27/14 03:16 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Nocturne, Opus 55/1 - Damon - Extremely well played - and I really liked the way you handle the final stretto section.

Nocturne, Opus 55/2 - Jeffrey Jones - Definitely one of the more challenging Nocturnes and you pulled it off beautifully.

Nocturne, Opus 62/1 - Emanuel Ravelli - Phil, you didn't disappoint with this one !! Such wonderful control and attention to detail. A masterful rendition of a challenging piece. And your Steinway B sounds gorgeous !!

Nocturne, Opus 62/2 - Dire Tonic - I was looking forward to this performance because 1) I play the piece myself and 2) I knew you'd do an excellent job with it - and you did !! At times your touch seems a bit too heavy, but your concept of the work (even though it differs at times from mine) makes sense - and you have certainly made this piece your own. Bravo !!

#2252834 - 03/27/14 04:01 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Nocturne - Opus 37/1 - Elaine Allegro - Elaine I've sent you a PM with a few suggestions on how you might take your performance of this Nocturne to the next level - based on my own recent experience with the piece. Very nice work - and I look forward to hearing future recordings !!!!! smile

Nocturne - Opus 48/2 - BruceD - I always enjoy hearing you play - and you've given us an impressive interpretation of this beautiful Nocturne. Your playing of the final eight measures is absolutely exquisite! A couple of very picky little observations: 1) It sounds like you slightly rush or anticipate the first beats of measures 8, 10 and 16 and again in measure 36 and 38. Is that intentional?? 2) In the middle section, a few of the 16th note passages sound a little rushed and, as a result, sometimes the final 16th note gets lost. You might want to pull back and take your time with those. But, as I said, these are really picky little details. Overall this is an excellent performance. thumb

#2252835 - 03/27/14 04:06 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Nocturne in G minor, Op. 37 No. 1 – ElaineAllegro

You bring out the melody line very well, and have done a good job with the embellishments. It was very nice to listen to your performance.

Nocturne in G major, Op. 37 No. 2 - Arthur Rubinstein

I tried to sign up for this nocturne myself, but lost my opportunity because I didn’t send a PM. No problem really, Arthur plays better than me, and I signed up for another piece in the Tchaikovsky recital instead….

Nocturne in C minor, Op. 48 No. 1 - Arthur Rubinstein

The most technically demanding of the nocturnes. Great to listen to the great master’s interpretation of it.

Nocturne in F-sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 – BruceD

Although it is not so well known this is one of my favorites among the nocturnes. Particularly the middle part is what I would call “essential Chopin”. You played this difficult piece really well. Thanks for sharing!

#2252838 - 03/27/14 04:22 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I've had a listen now to all the performances posted (except Rubinstein, whom I've heard before). Really wonderful playing across the board. I've heard many members in other recitals, and I think everyone stepped it up a notch with this recital, but people that I'd never heard before surprised me with some truly excellent playing. Bravo! smile

When this recital was first posted, I wanted to play Op 48 No 1 in C minor, since it was the only Nocturne in the set that I've played before (at performance level), and is my favorite, but someone else had already grabbed it. Too bad we didn't get a recording of this one.. I was really looking forward to it.

#2252844 - 03/27/14 05:23 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Derulux]
chopinoholic Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Derulux
When this recital was first posted, I wanted to play Op 48 No 1 in C minor, since it was the only Nocturne in the set that I've played before (at performance level), and is my favorite, but someone else had already grabbed it. Too bad we didn't get a recording of this one.. I was really looking forward to it.

I think there's enough time before this recital is over to post a recording right here in the comments. I would love to hear your take on this smile.
I'm sure Joel wouldn't mind?

#2252867 - 03/27/14 07:55 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Nocturne in F minor, Op. 55 No. 1 – Damon

Fine performance! Particularly the last part where you managed the technical challenges excellently and also made out the middle voice very clearly. I enjoyed listening.

Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 55 No. 2 – jeffreyjones

I’m impressed by the way you managed to perform this nocturne. I have listened to it on several occasions before, but this was the first time it really caught my ear. Beautiful playing!

Nocturne in B major, Op. 62 No. 1 - Emanuel Ravelli

I’m perhaps an odd person, but this is my personal favorite among the Chopin nocturnes. And I was stunned by your interpretation. Such a peace and calmness the whole way through! And near flawless playing. Thanks for sharing.

Nocturne in E major, Op. 62 No. 2 - dire tonic

I love the E major nocturne. Although it is quite challenging both musically and technically you manage to play the piece very convincingly. Excellent tempo and dynamics, and I appreciate your eye for the fine details of the piece. Great job!

#2252914 - 03/27/14 09:54 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Nocturne in E minor, Op. 72 No. 1 - PikaPianist : well done! I love the passion with which you play this piece. This was my first Nocturne and my first exposure to Chopin - this brings back many fond memories.

Nocturne in C-sharp minor, B. 49 - doctor S : Very nice! I think you played this perfectly. I enjoy the asynchronization choices you made and think it suits the style very well. Bravo!

Nocturne in C minor, B. 108 - TwoSnowflakes : I'm totally unfamiliar with this one and didn't have the sheet music to refer to. You play with lots of confidence and a beautiful singing melody!

Thank you to all who participated in the Nocturne portion. It's been truly an honor to play with you. I'm very excited to hear what the Waltz people have in store for us wink
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2252917 - 03/27/14 10:06 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
chopinoholic Offline

Nocturne in E minor, Op. 72 No. 1 - PikaPianist
Love the tempo. It fits really nice. Great dynamics. You make this piece sound much more mature. It was Chopin's first nocturne when he was about 17 years old. Thanks for joining this recital smile

Nocturne in C-sharp minor, B. 49 - doctor S
This was the first nocturne I ever played. I was still very young and I enjoyed the first chords so much I played them LOUD to hear all of it..
Of course it should be played like you did. The thoughtful intro to a beautiful piece of music.
Those last runs you executed just as intended.
I remember editions of this nocturne with two different time signatures for the right and the left hand in the the "B" section.

Nocturne in C minor, B. 108 - TwoSnowflakes
What ChopinLives81 said, this made me feel relaxed too. but it is his fault that I now also see clowns when hearing this piece. crazy

#2252981 - 03/27/14 11:59 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: carey]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: carey
[...]
Nocturne - Opus 48/2 - BruceD [...]A couple of very picky little observations: 1) It sounds like you slightly rush or anticipate the first beats of measures 8, 10 and 16 and again in measure 36 and 38. Is that intentional??

Not intentional. I notice that in all cases it's the half note from the previous measure tied to the first half beat of the measure in question. I need to keep my mental metronome going!

2) In the middle section, a few of the 16th note passages sound a little rushed and, as a result, sometimes the final 16th note gets lost. You might want to pull back and take your time with those.

Absolutely. I have changed the fingering on those passages since the recording was made, and I think that has helped solve the problem of rushing to reach the next beat.

These remarks are important to me, as I will be playing this work (among others) in a recital next week. I will be sure to be aware of these points as I prepare.

Many thanks!

Regards,

#2252992 - 03/27/14 12:15 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: BruceD]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
[...]
Nocturne - Opus 48/2 - BruceD [...]A couple of very picky little observations: 1) It sounds like you slightly rush or anticipate the first beats of measures 8, 10 and 16 and again in measure 36 and 38. Is that intentional??

Not intentional. I notice that in all cases it's the half note from the previous measure tied to the first half beat of the measure in question. I need to keep my mental metronome going!

2) In the middle section, a few of the 16th note passages sound a little rushed and, as a result, sometimes the final 16th note gets lost. You might want to pull back and take your time with those.

Absolutely. I have changed the fingering on those passages since the recording was made, and I think that has helped solve the problem of rushing to reach the next beat.

These remarks are important to me, as I will be playing this work (among others) in a recital next week. I will be sure to be aware of these points as I prepare.

Many thanks!

Regards,

Glad you found the comments helpful. I figured that the issues in the middle section were due to fingering choices. I'm sure you will do well on next week's recital. thumb Much as I love it, I've been afraid to tackle this Nocturne myself - due primarily to not really knowing how to approach the middle section. After listening last night to both you and Arthur Rubinstein I feel I now have a better sense of the composer's intent. So thank you for that !!!!!!!! smile

#2253113 - 03/27/14 03:23 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Still soaking up this wonderful recital – keep them coming! I’d always been entranced by Chopin’s music without really making any special effort to learn to ‘properly’ play any of his works so a huge thanks to those who’ve listened to my recording - with or without comment; but for the forum’s sharing audience I probably wouldn’t have found the need to do it. And the chance to listen to so many very different, gifted musicians, each with their own slant – thanks to all. Really looking forward to the Waltzes.

#2253117 - 03/27/14 03:29 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: carey]
1000 Post Club Member

Nocturne, Opus 62/2 - Dire Tonic - I was looking forward to this performance because 1) I play the piece myself and 2) I knew you'd do an excellent job with it - and you did !! At times your touch seems a bit too heavy, but your concept of the work (even though it differs at times from mine) makes sense - and you have certainly made this piece your own. Bravo !!

carey, I'm much obliged for this insight! I definitely had a tension problem during the agitato. But it's possible also that I'm fighting the VPC1 action, an unhelpful velocity curve or a lifetime of slumming it in R&B. Back to the drawing board....!

#2253125 - 03/27/14 03:44 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: dire tonic]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: dire tonic

carey, I'm much obliged for this insight! I definitely had a tension problem during the agitato. But it's possible also that I'm fighting the VPC1 action, an unhelpful velocity curve or a lifetime of slumming it in R&B. Back to the drawing board....!
Have you tried using the VPC editor with the Ravenscroft to adjust the velocity curve a bit?

#2253126 - 03/27/14 03:45 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Morodiene]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Nocturne in E major, Op. 62 No. 2 - dire tonic : I was excited to hear this on the VIlabs Ravencroft. It it so warm! And your playing complements it perfectly. It was such a pleasure just listening. Thank you! What touch curve did you use with the Ravencroft, or did you make your own? I think you explained it to me once before, but how did you record the sound of the software?

- thanks Morodiene! I was using the same velocity curve I'd used with the Galaxy piano. It seemed to respond well...but after carey's observation, I'm not so sure, lol!

I thoroughly enjoyed your 27,1 too although I thought you might play it using the TK American D. To record a sampled piano you'll need to load your UVI sample player into something like Cubase or another similar host. I'm not sure which version of Cubase you're using. Feel free to PM me and perhaps we can walk through the process?

Quote:
Have you tried using the VPC editor with the Ravenscroft to adjust the velocity curve a bit?

absolutely!...but even though it's 'infinitely' flexible I haven't found it easy to get right. But wait...maybe I'm making excuses here. It could just be tension on my part...

Edited by dire tonic (03/27/14 03:57 PM)

#2253151 - 03/27/14 04:28 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: dire tonic]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Nocturne in E major, Op. 62 No. 2 - dire tonic : I was excited to hear this on the VIlabs Ravencroft. It it so warm! And your playing complements it perfectly. It was such a pleasure just listening. Thank you! What touch curve did you use with the Ravencroft, or did you make your own? I think you explained it to me once before, but how did you record the sound of the software?

- thanks Morodiene! I was using the same velocity curve I'd used with the Galaxy piano. It seemed to respond well...but after carey's observation, I'm not so sure, lol!

I thoroughly enjoyed your 27,1 too although I thought you might play it using the TK American D. To record a sampled piano you'll need to load your UVI sample player into something like Cubase or another similar host. I'm not sure which version of Cubase you're using. Feel free to PM me and perhaps we can walk through the process?

Quote:

absolutely!...but even though it's 'infinitely' flexible I haven't found it easy to get right. But wait...maybe I'm making excuses here. It could just be tension on my part...
Not excuses, but it could contribute to ti. I know I mentally tense up and that turns into tension in my hands even though physically I know I can play something without tension. Then it's a matter of being aware that's the issue and then not let myself do it when recording. I haven't quite mastered that last part. smile

I would love to see how the MP11 works with the TK American and also see how it works as a MIDI controller with MOX6...so many little projects!

#2253216 - 03/27/14 06:47 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
doctor S Offline

Loc: Western PA
Quick reply on digitals:

Dire tonic's Op.62 No.2 was stunning! If there was any "too heavy touch" I missed it (going deaf or raised Russian-weight-on-keys?) Got to be some the best digital sound out there (or best piano sound anywhere: acoustics are tougher to record well).

Morodiene: you fooled me! You mentioned you were trying new recording techniques, so I listened to your Op.27 No.1 thinking it was the Petrof…("She must have eaten her spinach!!…") Outstanding performance! You might have to buy a pair of Neumanns to make the Petrof sound as good.

PikaPianist: fooled again! The Op.72 No.1 was mesmerizingly good! Thought I was listening to a Kawai grand until I saw the comments.

#2253250 - 03/27/14 07:56 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: chopinoholic]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: chopinoholic

I think there's enough time before this recital is over to post a recording right here in the comments. I would love to hear your take on this smile.

I don't mind.

Set 7 coming up shortly. (onto the waltzes!)

#2253262 - 03/27/14 08:19 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: JoelW

It makes me want to cry every time I think about those Chopin waltzes that were lost in the fire... cry

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

#2253266 - 03/27/14 08:25 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
doctor S Offline

Loc: Western PA
Double thanks to Joel and so grateful to be at the party.

Carey: re: #20, B.49: "Disconcerting"…LOL! Perfect word! Don't know what possessed me to try so much staggering (? clutch and stagger, a la William Shatner chewing-the-scenery). Oh well…may I try a redo, say replace "20b" with "20a", this time with both hands in the same time zone, less Schoenberg harmony, sans cat?

Morodiene: still fishing for comments on the Petrof. Should I keep it? I think it's a beast to play softly. I have my tuner chained in the basement so he can do daily voice-downs but I still have to wear ear-muffs. Any advice? More gruel? (Yes, please record on the 9'3' !)

#2253272 - 03/27/14 08:39 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: chopinoholic

I don't mind.

I would love to, but I won't be able to touch a piano this week, and I would have to go find the sheet music or print out another copy. Plus, I wouldn't want this performed on my keyboard (which you may remember its crappiness from the mazurka recital), so I'll have to find a good piano.

How about I post a recording when I get all of this together, and find a piano on which to record it? Won't make it in time for the recital, but at least it will be a little better quality. smile

#2253278 - 03/27/14 09:07 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: ChopinLives81]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinLives81

It makes me want to cry every time I think about those Chopin waltzes that were lost in the fire... cry

The fire?

#2253285 - 03/27/14 09:19 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

#2253343 - 03/27/14 11:47 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: ChopinLives81

The fire?

http://www.chopinfiles.net/lostwaltzes.html

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

#2253419 - 03/28/14 09:07 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Morodiene Offline

Waltz in E-flat major, Op. 18 - carey : Thanks for taking this one on. I love how you play it! Excellent recording too. You seem to be having a lot of fun with it, but having played a bit of it I know it's not quite fun LOL.

Waltz in A-flat major, Op. 34 No. 1 - hreichgott : For some reason I envision this being played at a fair or some other festive gathering. I think it's the flair that you play this with brings out the excitement and joy of a special occasion. I really appreciate your pedaling on this, not too heavy.

Waltz in A minor, Op. 34 No. 2 - Pathbreaker : You convey the somber character of this piece very well. Quite a contrast to the very upbeat waltzes that come before it. Almost as if the happier waltzes are what's showing on the outside, but this waltz here is the subtext. Very nice playing, especially in bringing out the singing LH melody.

Waltz in F major, Op. 34 No. 3 - Arthur Rubinstein : Masterful playing of a work by a master.

#2253452 - 03/28/14 10:33 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
chopinoholic Offline

I never played a waltz before, so forgive me if I'm out of line. smile

Waltz in E-flat major, Op. 18 - carey
The Grande Valse Brilliante..
Love the fullness of sound you produced. Nice pedalling. Allthough the contrast between dynamics, sforzandos could have been more extreme in my opinion. e.g. before the encore of the main theme there's the fortissimo with the octaves followed by piano with a crescendo to the forte.
Maybe I'm picky, sorry about that.
The timing is perfect. I think it's exactly right.

Waltz in A-flat major, Op. 34 No. 1 - hreichgott
I like your pedalling. It makes the piece crisp as it should. Clean and cheerful smile
Maybe the D flat part could be a bit more pacey.
I enjoyed listening to your submission.
What did you use for recording?

Waltz in A minor, Op. 34 No. 2 - Pathbreaker
That's a sad waltz, huh? I think you played it really well. I'm always a bit wary using ornaments like arpeggios in the left hand chords, but you make it sound good. So no issue.
I would also like to hear a bit more dynamics here. The piece is mostly piano or pianissimo, but then the forte would make a nice relief.

#2253522 - 03/28/14 01:18 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Thanks chopinoholic and Morodiene! Slowing down for the D flat part was one of the adjustments I made for playing the piece somewhere other than a dance studio. I think the waltz is just too much banging if played with the same speed and feel the whole way through -- and I've thought that every time I've played it for dancers smile But I'm sure the tempo is not the only thing that can be modified.

I recorded this using my favorite practice-room Steinway at work and a Zoom H2n.
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2253544 - 03/28/14 02:24 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, everybody. It was actually my VERY FIRST piece back to the piano after my 25 year break (I quit as a late teenager and always regretted it).

The version I submitted was from over the summer. I'm coming up on a year back to the piano in May! It was on the digital I rented to keep practicing because we were abroad for the summer. I'm so used to my acoustic again that it sounds really odd to me, but so be it.

The ornamentation is a bit harsh and overemphasized and I would probably do a few things differently if I were to really polish it back up. It also takes me quite a while to settle in. I can hear my tentativeness until about halfway through. But overall, I'm happy with it. But I'm just happy to be playing piano, so I try to keep that in mind!

I also played the c# minor post. nocturne that summer (second piece!) but my scales were not up to snuff to really handle the delicate runs at the end. Plus a lot of other issues with that particular piece. You can back up to my main soundcloud page to hear it. But there's nothing else there other than an early practice of part of the rach prelude I'm just about finished with.

I intend to go back to both of these nocturnes and finish the op 72 as soon as I'm done with the Shostakovich. I'm eager to sink back into Chopin now that I have made some progress, technique-wise. I remember being SERIOUSLY challenged simply by the couple of moments the nocturne introduces polyrhythms. I hated them as a kid and never really overcame that, so it was a mental stumbling block when I returned. But yet since I learned that piece and now, I somehow don't have a (major) problem with them. I permitted myself a very brief glance at the Fantasie Impromptu a few weeks ago and while I don't feel I'm ready to really learn that piece, the rhythm didn't throw me. I just did it. Not at speed, of course--extremely slowly. But in rhythm. I just played it and pulled my fingers back off the keyboard with a "whoa! I can do that? I'm one of the people who can do that now?" Haha.

Anyway, point is, Chopin and me, we're going to be friends for a while. I'd like to tackle another nocturne or two, put some waltzes and mazurkas under my belt (including the ones I used to play when I was younger--it'd be nice to come full circle with them), and maybe stick a tentative toe into the preludes and perhaps a few of the more accessible etudes until I'm ready to dive into more advanced Chopin with the technical chops I still need to acquire.
Tchaikovsky, Mars: Chante de l'alouette Op. 37a No. 3

#2253584 - 03/28/14 04:05 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thankfully, Chopin has left a wealth of material that can be accessed and enjoyed by intermediate through advanced level players.

For all it's worth (and it may not be worth very much) ha , here's how Eleanor Baille classifies the waltzes and nocturnes in terms of "difficulty." NOTE: Her ranking scale goes up to 8+ - beyond that, pieces are listed as Very Advanced (VA).

WALTZES (Listing from Pianostreet)
Op. 18: Grade 8
Op. 34/1: Grade 8+
Op. 34/2: Grade 6
Op. 34/3: Grade 8
Op. 42: Grade 8+
Op. 64/1: Grade 7
Op. 64/2: Grade 7
Op. 64/3: Grade 7
Posthumous
Op. 69/1: Grade 7
Op. 69/2: Grade 6
Op. 70/1: Grade 8+
Op. 70/2: Grade 6
Op. 70/3: Grade 7
Posthumous without opus number (in order of publication)
e minor: Grade 8
E major: Grade 6
A&#9837; major: Grade 6
E&#9837; major (considered spurious): Grade 8
E&#9837; major (a/k/a Sostenuto): Grade 4-5
a minor: Grade 4-5

NOCTURNES (Listing provided by ChopinAddict in 2011 Piano World thread)
Grade 6 - No.21 in C minor
Grade 7 - Op.9 No.2; Op.15 No.3: Op.37 No.1; Op.55 No.1; Op.72 No.1; Noct. No.20 in C sharp minor
Grade 8 - Op.9 No.1; Op.15 No.2; Op.27 No.2; Op.32 No.1 and 2; Op.48 No.2
Grade 8+ - Op.15 No.1; Op.27 No.1; Op.37 No.2; Op.48 No.1; Op.55 No.2; Op.62 No.1 and 2
VA - Op.9 No.3

Of course, "difficulty" is somewhat subjective.... grin

From an interpretive standpoint, my impression has always been that the waltzes, in general, are easier to interpret than the Nocturnes (and the Mazurkas for that matter)...but I could be wrong.

Your thoughts????

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
12/19/14 10:19 PM
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
12/19/14 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160006 Topics
2349694 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission