Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2255394 - 04/01/14 02:33 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: doctor S]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi, doctor S -- My piano is a Kawai 5.5' baby grand, which we purchased new last year from Farley's, here in Madison, WI. We finally decided to "bite the bullet", after pretty much exhausting the resources of our Yamaha upright console, which was beginning to show more and more visible signs of wear-and-tear.

Thanks for the kind words! And let me return the compliment -- both of your Nocturne submissions were beautifully paced and properly voiced throughout, IMO.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2255460 - 04/01/14 05:10 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I’m not as well acquainted with all of the waltzes, so I’ll confine myself to a few thoughts about performances that I particularly enjoyed in this set.

Carey, 18 and 42/1
Two wonderful performances. The Opus 18 is a bear, and you handled its substantial technical demands with apparent ease. I loved the steadiness of your tempo. This was especially true in the Opus 42, where the two-beats-versus-three beats makes it hard to keep the RH melody flowing. Unlike the dreamy nocturnes, these are pieces to dance to. Herky-jerky rhythms don’t help dancers put their feet in the right place, but your performance just flowed right along, except where the second theme begs for a slightly more relaxed approach (which you gave it). And the accuracy and graceful phrasing of your playing were also most impressive.

Timmyab, 64/3
This is a luminous rendition. The supple tempos, subtle and satisfying dynamic nuances, lovely tone (again, from a digital) – this is the work of an accomplished musician.

BruceD, 69/1
Like 34/2 and 64/2, this is one of the “quiet” waltzes. It has a wonderful wistful quality that is perfectly captured by this performance. More rubato than you hear in most waltzes is just what this piece needs, and you’ve done a wonderful job of creating the mood it evokes.

Tim Adrianson, 70/1
This ephemeral gem has always been one of my favorites, and it gets a fine reading here. Two thoughts: (i) There’s a nice dynamic contrast between the first and second statements of the main theme, but some of the higher notes in the first statement have a harsh sound that’s out of character with the rest of your playing. Could be voicing, but a little less weight at the top would help the sound. (ii) You’ve also provided a nice tempo contrast between the first and second themes, but the second theme works better to my ear if it’s not quite so slow and a little less varied. Very nicely done.

Ganddalf, 70/2
A lovely, tender piece, beautifully played. The steady but varied tempo and soft tone give it a warm glow that embraces your listeners. Maybe it resonated so strongly with me because of our Norwegian connection. I look forward to hearing more of your recordings in the future.

Cinnamonbear, B. 21
Both of these waltzes are new to me, and I loved your performance of B.21. It’s a pretty little thing, and your sense of the waltz style is refined and very enjoyable to listen to. It was very interesting to listen to your different temperament tunings; your choice for B.21 produced a really nice sound. My only comment is that fairly consistently, the C and D flat an octave above middle C sounded as if they were being struck harder than the other keys. Given the evenness of your touch everywhere else, I imagine this was a voicing issue. Thoroughly enjoyable. As for B. 46, I think you did as much with it as could be done, but I understand now how good Chopin’s judgment was about what not to publish in his lifetime.

Bing and Frank had it right in “High Society” – what a swell party this is! Thanks again to JoelW for all the hard work, to those who commented on my performances for the nice words and helpful suggestions, and to everyone who shared their insights about and love for this glorious music.

#2255486 - 04/01/14 05:58 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
So, when Poly says, "We're not allowed to criticize anything, right?", which was his first post to this thread for a number of days, and that it immediately followed an arbitrary set in the presentation line-up that included both of my offerings, well, I didn't appreciate the wedgie, thank you very little. wink

Oh, so that's what the problem was. I assure you that the comment had nothing to do with which performances had just been posted. Actually, it was the first set of pieces that I was going to comment on. And no, that is not an insult toward the first set of pieces.

Polyphonist

#2255523 - 04/01/14 06:46 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Polyphonist]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
We're not allowed to criticize anything, right?

But you want to very badly, obviously.

#2255556 - 04/01/14 07:11 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
khopin Offline

Loc: Uruguay
Hello, I arrived to the recital just yesterday and I couldn't share some of my recordings.
Nevertheless, it was a very nice opportunity to enjoy your performances.
Chopin is my favorite composer far away from the rest, and since I returned playing piano (some months ago), I spend 100% of my piano time learning the easiest Chopin pieces, for instance: Nocturnes Op9N2, Op72N1, Waltzes Op18, Op34N1, Op34N2, Op64N1,Op64N2, Op69N1, Op70N1, Op70N2 with different success on them.
So, I know how difficult those pieces are, and this let me appreciate the effort of every player.

After listening all the performances I am glad to know how many normal people enjoy playing Chopin like me.

I would like to congratulate and thanks all the players for sharing your recordings.

BR

#2255596 - 04/01/14 07:43 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Damon]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Damon

I don't know if "very badly" would be applicable here - I merely had something I wanted to say and tried to find out if that was allowed. I know that in the ABF recitals it isn't.

Polyphonist

#2255615 - 04/01/14 08:31 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Polyphonist]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Damon

I don't know if "very badly" would be applicable here - I merely had something I wanted to say and tried to find out if that was allowed. I know that in the ABF recitals it isn't.

You could PM the contributor and ask him/her if your comments would be welcome. If so, you could send them via a PM; that way, they won't be public.

Regards,

#2255625 - 04/01/14 08:50 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
doctor S Online   content

Loc: Western PA
Well, I've been well-fortified by many gracious commenters (thanks to all!). Aware my 1st foray in performance in 45 years is not perfect, but nevertheless, I would be honored to receive constructive criticism from Polyphonist, PM or public.

And thanks again to Joel!!

Edited by doctor S (04/02/14 08:40 PM)

#2255888 - 04/02/14 12:08 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
1) E-flat major, Op. 18 (Carey)
Bravo! This is definitely at par with any professional recording I have. At least much surpassed amateur attempt I know. Simply buoyant, pretty and enjoyable. Like a good wine I enjoyed every little nuance, flavor of music, including the rests.

2) A-flat major, Op. 34 No. 1 (hreichgott)
I did not know this waltz but ove your sensitive and light rendition. It was heavenly and I picture angels dancing somewhere in the mid air space.

3) A minor, Op. 34 No. 2 (Pathbreaker)
This is one of favorite waltz. So sad, so beautiful, which you captured very well.

4) F major, Op. 34 No. 3 (ARTHUR)
No comments. Sir, I know you are good.

5) A-flat major, Op. 42 (Carey)
Wow, The piece shows off your prowess! Gorgeous performance like an embroidery of fine textures. Someday, I would like to try this but not too soon (LOL). I know it's actuarially very difficult. you have even affected my talented dog Emma. You know she has her (toy) piano. While I ran the recording, she was so excited that she responded with her little performance (three notes run with her nose, which is a record).

6) D-flat major, Op. 64 No. 1 (AZNpiano)
Now, that's a really nice performance of this very well known piece. It sounds like you are comfortable and having fun. Thanks for sharing.

7) C-sharp minor, Op. 64 No. 2 (Arthur)
No comments.

8) A-flat major, Op. 64 No. 3 (timmyab)
Naaaiiiice job. Like others mentioned, I think you are darn hard on yourself. Love your sensitive and beautiful rendition of the piece. I look forward to listening more of your recording in the future.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2256140 - 04/02/14 09:04 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: FarmGirl]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
1) E-flat major, Op. 18
This is definitely at par with any professional recording I have. At least much surpassed amateur attempt I know.......
5) A-flat major, Op. 42
.....you have even affected my talented dog Emma. You know she has her (toy) piano. While I ran the recording, she was so excited that she responded with her little performance (three notes run with her nose, which is a record).

Thanks for your nice comments. Your talented pooch Emma is my new best friend. grin

There are several recordings posted on the Nocturne/Waltz e-cital that sound "professional" - or at least several notches above "amateur." So many fine pianists here !! thumb

Edited by carey (04/03/14 10:49 AM)

#2256631 - 04/04/14 02:38 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Ganddalf Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Waltz in A-flat major, Op. 42 – carey

I feared that listening to this rather long waltz would be a bit boring, but I was completely wrong. This was a really great performance. You seem to be past all technical obstacles and able to display your musicality in a brilliant manner.

Waltz in D-flat major, Op. 64 No. 1 – AZNpiano

Charming performance! Excellent rubato and fine contrast between the main and the middle part. I enjoyed listening to it.

Waltz in C-sharp minor, Op. 64 No. 2 - Arthur Rubinstein

No comments….

Waltz in A-flat major, Op. 64 No. 3 – timmyab

Although this waltz is rarely performed it is one of my favorites. I was very pleased by your playing. Technically excellent and beautiful singing melodies! You can be very proud of this performance.

#2256683 - 04/04/14 08:23 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
hreichgott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Hi dire tonic,
I'm very much enjoying your performance of op. 62 no. 2 as I write. As you know this is one of my favorite Nocturnes and you really make it sing. Beautiful!
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2256789 - 04/04/14 02:32 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
FarmGirl Offline

9) A-flat major, Op. 69 No. 1 (BruceD)
Love the smooth, fluent and yet sensitive performance.

10) B minor, Op. 69 No. 2 (Sam S)
Well done considering we had only 3 months without counting real life duties. It was the first time I heard this piece. I got acquainted with so many beautiful waltz i never knew about. I think the e-cital is great for that. How did your recital go? I did play my chopin piece for my recital too. Preparing for the forum e-vital was very helpful for me.

11) G-flat major, Op. 70 No. 1 (Tim Adrianson)
I love this. It's so light and beautiful. Love the contrast between fast and tenderness. Even the pause was very effective and felt very natural indicating graceful exchange of glances between dancing partners whenever you had the little pause.

12) Waltz in F minor, Op. 70 No. 2 - Gandalf
It was very well executed and absolutely gorgeous, which made me wonder how your nocturne would have sounded like. I think your nocturne would have been incredible. Look forward to hear more of your performance.

13) D-flat major, Op. 70 No. 3 (musica71)
Thank you posting the video. I love your playing into the key style performance, the full, rich and round sound you produce. It also is one of my favorite waltz.

14) E minor, KK IVa/15 (dannylux)
I love this one. So Chopin, isn't it. You played it well. Love the contrast you projected.

15) E major, KK IVa/12 (Tim Adrianson)
What an interesting waltz. So many interesting parts are put together like a mini rhapsody! I admire you identifying those interesting musical ideas and playing them out. Thank you for sharing your interpretation. Look forward to more of your performance.

16) A-flat major, KK IVa/13 (Cinnamonbear)
Bravo! Excellent. I know actually its very hard to play this sort of non-stop waltz. It sounded like you are having fun.

17) E-flat major, KK IVa/14 (Cinnamonbear)
This looks like a tricky piece. Another excellent performance.

18) E-flat major, KK IVb/10 (maximal)
This is a gem and you played it masterfully (like professional recording). I have never heard of this piece. Thank you for sharing.

19) A minor, KK IVb/11 (FSO)
Wow, thank you for providing your fresh interpretation. It's amazing how much you can do with this piece. Thanks for sharing.

That concludes my comments. It was a fantastic experience. I enjoyed listening to all of you.
My special thanks to Joel of course. Thank you making this happen.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2256958 - 04/04/14 10:34 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: FarmGirl]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
[...] 16) A-flat major, KK IVa/13 (Cinnamonbear)
Bravo! Excellent. I know actually its very hard to play this sort of non-stop waltz. It sounded like you are having fun.

LOL FarmGirl! When I was talking to our friend carey about this waltz when I was working it up for the e-cital, I said it reminded me of this:

[...] 17) E-flat major, KK IVa/14 (Cinnamonbear)
This looks like a tricky piece. [...]

Well, as the other Phil said,

Originally Posted By: Emanuel Ravelli
[...] As for B. 46, I think you did as much with it as could be done, but I understand now how good Chopin’s judgment was about what not to publish in his lifetime.

LOL! *My* take on this piece is this: What do you get when you cross "The Sound of Music" with Gilbert & Sullivan's "Patience"? If I could have pulled it off, I would have YouTubified it with illustrations like this:

Based on pictures like this:
Click to reveal..

and this:
Click to reveal..

Quite dramatic was my vision, actually...

Edited by Cinnamonbear (04/05/14 08:43 AM)

#2257104 - 04/05/14 10:06 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: hreichgott]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: hreichgott
Hi dire tonic,
I'm very much enjoying your performance of op. 62 no. 2 as I write. As you know this is one of my favorite Nocturnes and you really make it sing. Beautiful!
I really appreciate that, Heather. It's in no small measure thanks to your feedback following the Mazurka recital that I dug deeper to try and find in playing the Nocturne some of the contrast that was missing in my Mazurka op. 41,4. Also, you very kindly gave away 62,2 – I know you wanted to play it too – it's a treasure so it’ll certainly be one of my keepers. I hope you’ll record it and upload it at some point? I'm fascinated by the breadth of possibility, the difference in the way we play these pieces. Maybe I'll pop this into the 'members recordings' at some point to get the full-on dressing-down I surely deserve. Thanks to everyone who's listened and commented.

On balance I’d probably want to spend more time with the Nocturnes than the Waltzes – a far better match for my depressive nature! In fact 62,1 isn't so depressing but it’s a beautiful Nocturne, and having heard Emanuel Ravelli's superb performance, I think that's got to be next on my list.

A wonderful recital, I've been delighted by the recordings. Thanks to all who participated and listened and to JoelW for organising and presenting it.

#2257155 - 04/05/14 12:22 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Cinnamonbear]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
[...] 16) A-flat major, KK IVa/13 (Cinnamonbear)

LOL FarmGirl! When I was talking to our friend carey about this waltz when I was working it up for the e-cital, I said it reminded me of this:

[...] 17) E-flat major, KK IVa/14 (Cinnamonbear)
This looks like a tricky piece. [...]

Well, as the other Phil said,

Originally Posted By: Emanuel Ravelli
[...] As for B. 46, I think you did as much with it as could be done, but I understand now how good Chopin’s judgment was about what not to publish in his lifetime.

LOL! *My* take on this piece is this: What do you get when you cross "The Sound of Music" with Gilbert & Sullivan's "Patience"? If I could have pulled it off, I would have YouTubified it with illustrations like this:

Based on pictures like this:
Click to reveal..

and this:
Click to reveal..

Quite dramatic was my vision, actually...

Andy,
All what I can say is you have incredible imagination. You could be a triathlete type artist excelling music, painting / sculpture and poem / playwright. Allow me to digress here a bit. It really reminds me of my kid brother. He now is a painter and stage artest (photo below) When we are kids, we participated in an experimental music appreciation class by a young lady from Tokyo Art and Music University. We had to listen to the new music eyes closed and have to describe what we saw in our mind. The best I could come up with was that someone's fingers dancing around on the piano keys. My brother stunned us all. He was almost in tears and said in kids language, "first it was warm and sunny. All the bunnies are hopping in the field. Then the ocean rise the water was very high..bunnies were getting killed." Needless to say he was a much better pianist than me. As little as he was, he knew how to express. Andy, I bet he would have been a good pianist like you had he continued.

#2257184 - 04/05/14 01:20 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: FarmGirl]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi, FarmGirl!

Thanks for sharing that. We all have our paths to tread! laugh (I'm trying to not wax too philosophic at the moment...) wink

Here is a link to the article where I found the illustrated scores that inspired the thought that I was not able to execute just now. The illustrations are very fun to look at, but I was a little disappointed that they have nothing specific to do with the actual music (as far as I can tell). crazy frown

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/04/sheet-music-art-by-people-too/

--Andy

#2257205 - 04/05/14 02:22 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
FarmGirl Offline

What a fun site. I will share it with my brother. He would love it.

#2257217 - 04/05/14 02:47 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Cinnamonbear]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Andy - I want that people on the sheet music picture as a poster! It would be perfect for the piano room, you know?

Cathy

#2257733 - 04/06/14 04:07 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
chopinoholic Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
I still want to give my comments on the last sets. I didn't have the time yet..

#2257862 - 04/06/14 08:58 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: jotur]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
Andy - I want that people on the sheet music picture as a poster! It would be perfect for the piano room, you know?

Cathy

Yes, I do know! Here is a RedBookmagazine-type suggestion: save it as a .jpg, print it off full color on photo paper at 8-1/2" X 11", matte it with a fancy matte (shadow box it, or something, you know? Build up the mattes for that singular artistic effect...) frame it with glass, distress the frame, and there you go! Get it? wink If you're really lucky, you can take it to a local print shop and sweet-talk the counter clerk past his/her copyright objections to get it done poster size. (In this case, print out your "original" on 8-1/2 x 11 warm-tinted cold-press watercolor paper.) Or, claim "fair use." (Tell him (or her) that you need to see it enlarged to study the art (or something).) You might have to go to several print shops before you hit one that will cooperate, but, heck, it's personal use! That's a loophole big enough to drive a semi-truck with a triple trailer though. I'm sure you can get it done! smile

(Take your pick of possible .jpg's from the link, too! grin wink )

Edited by Cinnamonbear (04/06/14 09:17 PM)

#2257863 - 04/06/14 09:00 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: chopinoholic]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chopinoholic
I still want to give my comments on the last sets. I didn't have the time yet..

I am counting on the world not ending, today (or tomorrow).

That is to say, "Me, too, chopinoholic!" grin

--Andy

#2257962 - 04/07/14 03:11 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
500 Post Club Member

Waltz in A-flat major, Op. 69 No. 1 – BruceD

I love the mood of this waltz, and you definitely do it justice with your playing. Very delicate performance which I enjoyed a lot!

Waltz in B minor, Op. 69 No. 2 - Sam S

You manage very well expressing the mood of this waltz. I also notice that you have a good balance between the right hand melody and the chords of the left hand. Thanks for sharing!

Waltz in G-flat major, Op. 70 No. 1 - Tim Adrianson

This waltz is a difficult one with its long and rapid leaps. I enjoyed the way you gave contrast between the different parts of the piece. Listening to your performance was very pleasing.

Waltz in F minor, Op. 70 No. 2 – Ganddalf

This is one of the technically easiest (maybe the easiest of all) pieces of this recital. But why must all piano pieces be difficult? Thanks to Carey who gave me the opportunity to take over this piece. I was a bit disappointed when I returned from my Christmas holidays and found that all pieces were taken,

Waltz in D-flat major, Op. 70 No. 3 - musica71

Great performance! Your piano has a very beautiful sound, and your playing is just amazing. So much fine detail in the lower melodic line. You make this tricky piece sound easy.

#2258234 - 04/07/14 03:23 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
Gandalf, Thank you SO much for the nice comment (Farm Girl too), This piece is most certainly NOT easy, the voicing takes some real thought. I am sorry that is is so repetitious! Kind of hard to do that much different with so many repeats.

#2258520 - 04/08/14 07:27 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
chopinoholic Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Waltz in A-flat major, Op. 69 No. 1 - BruceD
Don't have anything to say really. It is exactly how I would like to play this. Love it.

Waltz in B minor, Op. 69 No. 2 - Sam S
I like the sound of your piano. It fits somehow with the chromatic runs. :-)
This is a lovely waltz and you play it really nice. The pedalling is like a waltz should be pedalled. Maybe the tempo can be up a notch, but that's personal. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Waltz in G-flat major, Op. 70 No. 1 - Tim Adrianson
I especially love the middle section. You play it with a lot of warmth. I like the contrast with the main theme which is pretty hard to play well by the way. I like it.

Waltz in F minor, Op. 70 No. 2 - Ganddalf
Didn't know this waltz. Completely new for me. I pulled out the sheet music to read along with your playing. I like the piece and your interpretation allthough I would like to hear a bit more dynamics.
Thanks for sharing.

Waltz in D-flat major, Op. 70 No. 3 - musica71
Another one I don't know. Geezz I'm missing out.
When I hear you play it, I like the piece right away. Love your little trills. I always find it hard to play them 'in the beat' and you seem to have no issue with that.
Thanks for posting.

#2258858 - 04/08/14 09:20 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Thanks to all who have participated. I cannot wait to listen to all performances in the next few days. smile

Music is my best friend.

#2258941 - 04/09/14 02:34 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
500 Post Club Member

Waltz in A-flat major, B. 21 – Cinnamonbear

Great performance! The piece itself is pretty repetitive, but you managed to make it interesting to listen to all the way through. Indeed you made this simplistic composition a piece of art.

Waltz in E major, B. 44 - Tim Adrianson

Excellent playing! Like the other posthumous pieces this was completely unknown to me. Very good choice of tempi, good rubato and fine dynamics.

Waltz in E-flat major, B. 46 – Cinnamonbear

Once again you demonstrate a great ability to vary the expression in a way that catches my ear. It has been a great pleasure to listen to your contribution here.

#2258943 - 04/09/14 02:44 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
500 Post Club Member

And then there is another waltz that was not included in the list. It appears in my Peters edition of Chopin waltzes as No.14 (Op.posth). Until I listened to the posthumous pieces on the recital list I thought this was one of them. Otherwise I would have studied it myself.

Anyhow here is Arthur's performance of it:

http://youtu.be/AauGBCVDMn0

#2258946 - 04/09/14 02:54 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Ganddalf]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
And then there is another waltz that was not included in the list. It appears in my Peters edition of Chopin waltzes as No.14 (Op.posth). Until I listened to the posthumous pieces on the recital list I thought this was one of them. Otherwise I would have studied it myself.

It is played by Dannylux: smile
https://app.box.com/s/cq46ji3ywyzg161zmx5t

Music is my best friend.

#2258950 - 04/09/14 03:02 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: ChopinAddict]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf

It is played by Dannylux: smile
https://app.box.com/s/cq46ji3ywyzg161zmx5t

Oh, Sorry! I thought that Set 10. was the final set. This thread is getting very long. The good thing is that I have another three waltzes to listen to. Surely I'll listen to and comment on the performances of Dannylux and the other two in Set.11.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
09/16/14 05:51 PM
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
09/16/14 04:56 PM
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
09/16/14 04:03 PM
Getting back into it
by Upside
09/16/14 03:32 PM
In search of my piano name Brand
by Leoni
09/16/14 03:05 PM
Who's Online
148 registered (36251, 255, accordeur, ajames, alans, 43 invisible), 1499 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157568 Topics
2314427 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission