2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Regarding the length in which notes should be held in Liebestraum 3. Bar 2 treble cleff, how long should the very first C be held, on which part of the beat do you release it? Are you supposed to release it on the following A or E (right before you play middle C again)

Also on the baff cleff the very first quarter note A, do you hold onto that note until the following rest (treble cleff A note being played at that time) or do you release it immediately after you play the treble C?

Another way to ask, if you count "1 and 2 and" etc, on which part of the beat do you release those notes? The first C measure 2, would you release on '3' or 'and'?

Im sorry if this is poorly explained

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
It would help if you could provide a picture

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Here is the score for this: http://conquest.imslp.info/files/im..._-_S541_Liebestraume_No3__edition_c_.pdf

That C lasts 3/4, so half a measure. You release it just before playing the same C with the left hand - together with the eight note E in the arpeggio.

The A in the bass lasts 1/4, so you play its second half (the "and" of "1 and") together with the E in the treble and release it before playing the A in the treble. Not sure if this is clear or if I actually answered your question.

Last edited by sinophilia; 03/24/14 04:52 AM.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
A piece I'm learning too ...

In general this piece should sound somewhat improvisational; it should also be played with the melody moving fairly quickly. Once you have that, the exact length will fall out in the wash. Additionally, pedal is liberally applied both in the score and in practice - although do honor Listz's occasional mid measure releases of the pedal: They should be somewhat obvious anyway.

Which is all another way of saying the exact release of the melody in those places doesn't matter, it's the sound of the melody that you are going for.

As written you would release the C in measure 2 just before you play it again with the left hand. Do I do that? No, I release quite a bit earlier. But the pedal is still down so who cares?

For the bass notes, I hold them for the quarter note value but, pedal is still down so, again, you can't really have the rests in the left hand.

Remember in this piece, melody is absolutely king. Those bass notes are the anchor, true, but it's the melody that must sing. Everything else comes second. Work on that and you'll have it.

Then let me know how you did it so I can too! wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Despite my horrid explanation you guys answered my question perfectly, thanks! I wasn't sure If I was overthinking this, but it was making my head spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVVSWHkxs8

Another thing, if you watch Lang Lang's performance of this piece you'll see, for lack of a better understanding, that he is very involved in the piece. It looks as if he's playing with such delicate precision and emotion. I understand it is a natural expression of playing this piece musically because I always find myself playing doing the same sort of movements and a lot of weight shifting forwards and backwards.

For some reason I have always had this tendency to play piano in this way, but it is hard to do so while learning this piece. So whenever I play HS or very slow, sure I can hit the notes because I have time but it will never ever sound musical to my ears. What would you recommend I do?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by joonsang
For some reason I have always had this tendency to play piano in this way, but it is hard to do so while learning this piece. So whenever I play HS or very slow, sure I can hit the notes because I have time but it will never ever sound musical to my ears. What would you recommend I do?

Firstly, movement is unnecessary. I've had to curtail mine in particular because it was often counter-productive. But I'm going to move in the right way for this piece.

I just finished my practice for this for tonight. There was the super-slow practice but that isn't about musicality. It's about the technical aspects to get the fingers just right. To make sure that the arpeggios have "their" weight and the melody has "its" weight (particularly where they meet.) And about learning the notes.

But I also play at what is probably 1/4 speed - at that point I can control fine, it's still slow but it can be musical and I make sure I can hear and feel that. If not, I'm doing it wrong.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission