2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2251671 03/24/14 11:24 PM
KenM Offline OP
OP Offline
I recently had the opportunity to try a new Samick SIG-57, and I was pleasantly surprised. It had a nice, mellow sound that easily rivaled some of the more expensive pianos in the shop. But I had a real hang-up with the action. I tried playing some Mozart sonatas, and the keys simply could not handle the quick repetition that some of the faster movements required.

Is this a manufacturing flaw in the piano, or is it something that a skilled technician can fix?

KenM #2251673 03/24/14 11:32 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by KenM
I recently had the opportunity to try a new Samick SIG-57, and I was pleasantly surprised. It had a nice, mellow sound that easily rivaled some of the more expensive pianos in the shop. But I had a real hang-up with the action. I tried playing some Mozart sonatas, and the keys simply could not handle the quick repetition that some of the faster movements required.

Is this a manufacturing flaw in the piano, or is it something that a skilled technician can fix?

Yes, but it might not be easy or inexpensive. Samick, at least back when we were dealers, used wippens with what is called a "wippen assist spring." This spring acts to lift the wippen and reduce, or eliminate, the need for key leads. The problem is that the springs are not of consistent tension and, as it turns out, the action works better with at least some lead in them.

Our practice was to pull the action stack and readjust the springs so they just balanced the wippen. This removed a lot of their tension. Then we balanced the keys in the normal manner (although they still didn't need nearly as much lead). This was not a perfect solution but it did make the actions a lot more controllable and responsive.

It did add to our cost in the pianos but they performed enough better that we figured our sales offset the cost. Besides we much preferred how the actions performed after our little modification.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission