Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
138 registered (ajames, accordeur, ando, AmateurBob, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1734 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2251741 - 03/25/14 02:26 AM Distance between the Black Keys . . ?
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
In particular, G and A which are the tightest. (G is tightest of all) I`d be most interested in the results for comparison . . .Keys are tapered of course. And rounded off at the top.

Don`t I ask awkward questions? grin

Here we go. Joe . . .

GHS . . . .

D 16 and 18mm

A 15.5 and 17.25

G 15 and 16.75 . . .

Edited by peterws (03/25/14 05:46 AM)

""

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2251759 - 03/25/14 04:54 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws

Yeah! On all of my keyboards G and A are white! Very little distance between them, too eek

#2251776 - 03/25/14 07:20 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
If you have big finger, this subject was also mentioned here : http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2122208/Re:_Between_black_keys.html#Post2122208 with some measurement comparing a P155 to a CA65 smile

Jean-Luc

#2251786 - 03/25/14 07:56 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: Jean-Luc]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Jean . . appreciate!

I just looked at that posting. The Kawai has thinner black keys. Considerably thinner. . . James, you`re backing the right horse . . .

Edited by peterws (03/25/14 08:08 AM)

""

#2251788 - 03/25/14 08:00 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Awkward? I suppose so.
Pointless? Absolutely.

There must be something on the telly to distract you from this rubbish Peter!

#2251791 - 03/25/14 08:10 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: EssBrace]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Well, I got the info I wanted. My next piano will be a Kawai . . . Not so pointless really.

""

#2251907 - 03/25/14 01:57 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
David Farley Online   content

Loc: Illinois
This has been covered here before, and it's known that the keys on the Yamaha YPG/DGX series are narrower than standard.

http://www.randyhoexter.com/?p=520

But is there a real standard for piano or just some generally accepted parameters? The American Guild of Organists and their equivalents in other countries actually publish specifications for organ components. When someone buys a component that meets AGO specifications they know exactly what they're getting.

http://www.savetheorgan.org/kbase/ago_specs/agoconsole.pdf

#2251918 - 03/25/14 02:30 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: David Farley]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

The keys on the hammer action DGXs and YPGs are "standard" octaves and 150mm length. It`s just the black keys are somewhat fatter than some others.. . .and Kawais are thinner. , . eh bien . .

""

#2251942 - 03/25/14 03:22 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
Marcos Daniel Online   content

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...

#2252160 - 03/26/14 12:18 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: Marcos Daniel]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marcos Daniel
This could be interesting:
http://www.quadibloc.com/other/cnv05.htm

Wow, that's some serious science, no kidding!

I wonder though, how much of that is still valid in light of numerically controlled CNC machines that have 'infinite' resolution ('infinite' for all practical purposes)

#2252185 - 03/26/14 01:33 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Peterws, I don't have particularly fat fingers, but I do wish that they were longer. I can actually fit my thumb in between the Kawai black keys...

That and the fact that the keys are so long that it's just as easy to press them at the start or at the end definitely made it for me. As well as other features, of course, but having keys that can simply be played without extra funny movements or effort is quite important.

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2252269 - 03/26/14 08:44 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Personally I want a keyboard that replicates an acoustic in design and realisation as closely as possible although I would like to try a keyboard where a low narrow ridge moulded into the key runs along the top centre of all the black notes.

#2252937 - 03/27/14 10:38 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: slipperykeys]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: slipperykeys
Personally I want a keyboard that replicates an acoustic in design and realisation as closely as possible although I would like to try a keyboard where a low narrow ridge moulded into the key runs along the top centre of all the black notes.

Would the ridge be to stop the finger slipping off? As for the keyboard, mine, being GHS means ANYTHING else I play is going to be better and playable. That includes acoustics . . . .

""

#2252948 - 03/27/14 10:58 AM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

... As for the keyboard, mine, being GHS means ANYTHING else I play is going to be better and playable. That includes acoustics . . . .

I like GHS, I don't have the usual 'nose up on GHS' opinion. If it had somewhat longer keys (somewhat easier chords with thumb on black key) I wouldn't mind at all having GHS as my main DP action eek

#2252991 - 03/27/14 12:14 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: doremi]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

My thoughts too, mainly or I wouldn`t have bought into this. It is light as well, which I like; but I have a problem on some pieces because of the black keys and my fingers. The Kawais do much better keys, but their instruments weren`t what I wanted at this time.

""

#2253024 - 03/27/14 01:19 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
Lester Burnham Offline

"I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

Speaking of Eric Morecambe, I bought the sheet music to "Bring me Sunshine" a while back!

#2253033 - 03/27/14 01:36 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England

Would the ridge be to stop the finger slipping off? As for the keyboard, mine, being GHS means ANYTHING else I play is going to be better and playable. That includes acoustics . . . .

Yes, that is exactly why. I would like to try it, I think it would particularly improve stride piano for the more dim-witted like myself. A very mild ridge, but with a definite edge. I would think it might be quite easy to mould and worth testing on a plastic keyboard.

#2262579 - 04/16/14 12:22 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
Enthusiast Offline

Loc: UK

I have noticed recently going back and forth between my GHS action P-35 and other DP's and acoustics that they generally feel easier to play on than the P-35. Some of the actions are considerably more tiring but overall I feel as if I have more margin for error and make fewer mistakes.

I do find the gap between black keys is narrower on the P-35 than anything else I've tried DP or AP ( maybe that's a standard for GHS DPs). The keys quickly become stiffer and less responsive as I move up into the keys and are particularly difficult right at the back. I also find the keys to be quite slippery compared to the decent DP and APs. Other actions feel like they have a better weight and response to them too.

#2262627 - 04/16/14 02:36 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: Enthusiast]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Enthusiast

I have noticed recently going back and forth between my GHS action P-35 and other DP's and acoustics that they generally feel easier to play on than the P-35. Some of the actions are considerably more tiring but overall I feel as if I have more margin for error and make fewer mistakes.

I do find the gap between black keys is narrower on the P-35 than anything else I've tried DP or AP ( maybe that's a standard for GHS DPs). The keys quickly become stiffer and less responsive as I move up into the keys and are particularly difficult right at the back. I also find the keys to be quite slippery compared to the decent DP and APs. Other actions feel like they have a better weight and response to them too.

I think GHS is intended for younger students who have littler fingers. The only reason I (quite) like it is because it is very light. A bit of arthritis is creeping in here, and playing the piano I have (DGX650) keeps things moving along nicely with no adverse effects. Now, that`s personal to me . .but the Kawai keyboards, almost all of them, seem darned good. Plenty of room between the black notes!

""

#2262633 - 04/16/14 02:50 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: Enthusiast]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Enthusiast

The problem with the P35/P105 keys is their length to the pivot is very short. I don't know if all Yamaha GHS instruments are like this, but that explains the 'stiffer and less responsive as I move up into the keys', IMHO.

#2262662 - 04/16/14 03:55 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: peterws]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
For the vast majority of black keys the distance between them is one whole step

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2262669 - 04/16/14 04:05 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: Dave Horne]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

Actually that's the interval between them, not the distance. Distance is measured in mm or inches. grin

#2262673 - 04/16/14 04:12 PM Re: Distance between the Black Keys . . ? [Re: ando]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

Actually that's the interval between them, not the distance. Distance is measured in mm or inches. grin

And angle of taper . . .

""

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Accelerating learning; iPad, apps, & my digital piano p105
by megabyzus
11/28/14 01:27 PM
A piano is a "value proposition".
by turandot
11/28/14 12:38 PM
How Old should Bass Strings be Before You Replace Them?
by Paul678
11/28/14 11:03 AM
My Blthner
by joe80
11/28/14 10:30 AM
What to teach before transferring to a jazz teacher
by hreichgott
11/28/14 10:06 AM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159418 Topics
2341822 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission