Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2252436 - 03/26/14 01:46 PM Seeking tech school advice and recommendations
eucalypocalypse Offline

Loc: West Sonoma County, CA
Hello,

I've been a part time apprentice to a tuner in the North Bay Area of California for several years. My mentor is approaching retirement and has health issues which prevent him from matching my more recent drive to accelerate the learning process. I'm curious about supplementing my training at a tech school, have some financial support to do so, and am willing to travel anywhere where English is the primary language of instruction. I'm also willing to backtrack a bit, to learn other approaches to temperament, regulation, etc.. The schools in Boston (NBSS) and Chicago (CSPT) look promising. Does anyone have any experience in a formal tech school environment that they'd care to share? Thanks!

-nik
sea-monkey royalist
semi-confident lion tamer

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2252500 - 03/26/14 03:55 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
The Boston school has a particularly good reputation, it seems. Also to be considered is the course at Wester University on London Ontario:
http://www.pianotech.uwo.ca/

I don't know what the Ontario course costs, but i know the Boston one is expensive!

#2252572 - 03/26/14 05:25 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
adamp88 Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
I moved from the California Bay Area (Oakland) to attend CSPT 4 years ago. It was an incredibly rewarding and enriching experience, and well prepared me for the field. It is not a daily, Mon-Fri school - classes meet at most twice a week. Students are expected to spend a significant amount of time outside of class practicing skills, so you definitely need to be self-motivated and committed. Personally, I loved the setup and never felt like the instruction or support was lacking. If you do go I'd highly recommend continuing on to the advanced curriculum. You'll get experience either doing a full rebuild or a pinblock/restringing job, plus concentrate on further refining tuning/regulation skills. And Paul Revenko-Jones is a wonderful teacher/mentor, and a joy to work with one-on-one.

At NBSS, you'd definitely have a more familiar school schedule, and access to more resources, as the school is larger and more established, and due to proximity to piano manufacturers and the classical music hub of NY.

Either school would be an excellent choice. Knowing what both schools have to offer, I don't regret my choice at all, though, coming from the natural beauty of the Bay Area, the sprawling flat expanse of Chicago was a bit of a letdown. wink

ASB Piano Service
Omaha, NE

#2252941 - 03/27/14 10:45 AM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
With the advance of technology, do not overlook technicians who offer courses over Skype. You will be able to save money on transportaion and accomodations compared to moving to another city to study.

#2253046 - 03/27/14 01:46 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
eucalypocalypse Offline

Loc: West Sonoma County, CA
Thank you all kindly for your input! It's of great value to me.

I'm additionally open to local work, an internship, a supplemental apprenticeship, if anyone is aware of a technician or shop in the North Bay looking for help. Thanks again!
sea-monkey royalist
semi-confident lion tamer

#2253124 - 03/27/14 03:41 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
adamp88 Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark Cerisano, RPT
With the advance of technology, do not overlook technicians who offer courses over Skype. You will be able to save money on transportaion and accomodations compared to moving to another city to study.

Self promotion issues aside, there are huge and very important benefits and advantages that full-time attendance schools have over correspondence or online training. Nik has indicated that he is willing to move to further his education, and I don't consider online correspondence to be an adequate substitute for the kind of in-person, hands on training he would receive at a school.

If money were an issue I'd definitely keep it on the table, but given the choice between attending a school, apprenticing with a local qualified technician or choosing online correspondence courses, and assuming that one would be financially and geographically able to choose any of them, I would rank them in that order, with attending a formal school first, and online correspondence being the least preferred option.

ASB Piano Service
Omaha, NE

#2253236 - 03/27/14 07:26 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: adamp88]
kpembrook Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Sent you PM.

#2253305 - 03/27/14 09:54 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: adamp88]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: adamp88

If money were an issue I'd definitely keep it on the table.

Thanks for the fair assessment.

Don't forget geography. With piano technology becoming more scarce, opportunities to learn it will also be more difficult to find. This may help fill the void.

For sure, the online option requires a strong independant study skill where one supplements the learning with parallel resources like meetings, mentoring, volunteering, conventions, etc.

My concern with formal schooling is that they teach more than the basic tuner needs to start their career, and charge for it too. There are certainly more ways to learn the trade. I mearly wanted to present them all. Being a new technology, I am used to it being criticized, but time will tell what real benefit there is to this method. Of course, the skill of the instructor, at instructing, not just the doing part, makes a difference. "Those who can't teach; can only do."

#2253308 - 03/27/14 10:05 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
1000 Post Club Member

Adam,

I just reread your post. I saw the geography reference. Missed it the first time. Thanks.

But I did want to make two more points.

A local qualified technician may actually have superior instructional skills.

And many instructors at these schools are just that themselves; local qualified technicians.

I wouldn't necessarily put them in that order. Also keep in mind there are elements of an education a student may miss in the sheltered walls of a school. Perhaps not as important, and certainly learnable after the course, but missing, just the same.

#2253325 - 03/27/14 10:50 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Self-promotion seems a rather ad hominem remark when accompanied by the promotion of another business by proxy or even via recommendation.

Edited by bkw58 (03/27/14 10:55 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#2253440 - 03/28/14 10:05 AM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
adamp88 Offline

I don't agree - as I don't stand to benefit in any way should Nik choose a school, whereas Mark does stand to benefit directly should Nik follow his advice.

ASB Piano Service
Omaha, NE

#2253453 - 03/28/14 10:38 AM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Here is another school option.

http://www.pianotech.uwo.ca/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2253454 - 03/28/14 10:40 AM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: adamp88]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
I don't agree - as I don't stand to benefit in any way should Nik choose a school, whereas Mark does stand to benefit directly should Nik follow his advice.

Thanks, Adam. You do not benefit, but the school you studied under, and of which you speak, does. But you could be right. It is not a spokesman for the school that is doing the posting. Notwithstanding, this whole "self-promotion" issue - and the criticism of it - is hard to understand. If a tuner-tech talks about his teaching business in this type of thread, it's called "self promotion." On the other hand, if a tech or rebuilder shows his "before and after" shots along with commentary in that particular thread, it's called "wonderful," and "great job." Both seem to promote the tech's expertise/business. Both could be construed as free advertising. Personally, I have no problem with either. It's all educational.

Edited by bkw58 (03/28/14 10:44 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#2253457 - 03/28/14 10:43 AM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Mark would only benefit if Nik chose his online presentations.

There are many other online choices.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2253794 - 03/29/14 01:48 AM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: adamp88]
1000 Post Club Member

What?

I'm not the only tech offering this service. And what makes you think he would like my style? The point remains; he may not have thought about it and I brought it up.

By the way, I did not in any way mention that I offer that service. He would have had to go to my site and searched through the lessons, videos, and pages, to find that out. But thanks to you, now he knows.

P.S. I wrote this before reading the other responses to Adam's post. Thank you Dan and. Bob for your objective responses.

Edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT (03/29/14 01:56 AM)

#2253954 - 03/29/14 03:48 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: eucalypocalypse]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Dan, I already posted the UWO link, in the first reply in this thread!

#2253976 - 03/29/14 05:00 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Piano Guy Offline

Loc: Southern Ontario,Canada
Its in your signature line....

#2254366 - 03/30/14 05:20 PM Re: Seeking tech school advice and recommendations [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
adamp88 Offline

The point remains; he may not have thought about it and I brought it up.

That is certainly fair enough, and I apologize for coming on too strong earlier. Online tutoring is certainly a legitimate option that may be a good fit for some. I probably should have explained in my first post in this thread that I was looking at Nik's educational options with an eye on what option would give him the most comprehensive learning environment that would advance his skills the quickest. I still maintain that a structured, hands-on school environment is the best in this regard.

Quote:
By the way, I did not in any way mention that I offer that service. He would have had to go to my site and searched through the lessons, videos, and pages, to find that out. But thanks to you, now he knows.

Well, let's be honest, it wouldn't be that difficult for someone to read your first post, see the www.howtotunepianos.com link in your signature and put two and two together. wink

Edited by adamp88 (03/30/14 05:20 PM)

ASB Piano Service
Omaha, NE

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
09/19/14 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
09/19/14 05:19 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (aesop, Anticlock, AZ_Astro, Al LaPorte, 23 invisible), 970 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315425 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission