Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2252616 - 03/26/14 06:19 PM Yamaha P105 or YDP161
nc liz Offline

Hi all,
First time to this forum!
My daughter is graduating from college in May (YAY!) and has a job and will be moving to an apartment (another big YAY!) She has asked for a digital piano for her graduation present. I don't think she cares about all the bells and whistles, just wants to be able to play the piano. I would call her an intermediate player. She has been playing on our Estonia grand piano for the past nine years. I was all set on getting her the Yamaha P105 and when I went to the store, they had a YDP161, which they said they would give me for $1000, since it was the floor model and they have gone to the YDP162. The P105 is $700. Is there that big of a difference in the two? I know they have the same number of polyphony (128). The keys felt about the same to me. I know the 161 has larger speakers. They didn't have a P155 to try. Not sure I could talk my husband into spending that much anyway. Would love some expert advice on this. Thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2252622 - 03/26/14 06:33 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: nc liz]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
The YDP161 is a much better keyboard action. It is the one that has been used on mid-range Yamaha digital pianos (Clavinovas) for years. Also the sound will be more convincing due to the better speakers and more substantial frame, which also makes the whole thing a little more piano-like.

So I'd say the 161 is worth the difference, yes. You could try to bargain him down a little though - no harm in trying - offer $850 cash, say....

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2252640 - 03/26/14 07:19 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: nc liz]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
YDP161, it is much better than the P105. I would take the YDP161 if they provide the warranty same as brand new.

#2252652 - 03/26/14 07:33 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: nc liz]
Enthusiast Online   content

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: nc liz
Hi all,
First time to this forum!
My daughter is graduating from college in May (YAY!) and has a job and will be moving to an apartment (another big YAY!) She has asked for a digital piano for her graduation present. I don't think she cares about all the bells and whistles, just wants to be able to play the piano. I would call her an intermediate player. She has been playing on our Estonia grand piano for the past nine years. I was all set on getting her the Yamaha P105 and when I went to the store, they had a YDP161, which they said they would give me for $1000, since it was the floor model and they have gone to the YDP162. The P105 is $700. Is there that big of a difference in the two? I know they have the same number of polyphony (128). The keys felt about the same to me. I know the 161 has larger speakers. They didn't have a P155 to try. Not sure I could talk my husband into spending that much anyway. Would love some expert advice on this. Thanks!

Surprised you thought the keys felt the same. The YDP-161 is listed as having the GH action compared to the inferior GHS action of the P105. I have a GHS action Yamaha at home and generally use a GH action Yamaha digital at a piano class and the one at the class feels a lot better. More authentic and easier to play on too.

#2252661 - 03/26/14 07:46 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: Enthusiast]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had the P105 briefly- (had a P95 prior and got greedy and sold the 95 for a 105)

I found on several of them that the casing made a creaking noise on the right hand side. It wasn't the action that bothered me but I felt the response was too "jumpy" on the keyboard. It just didn't seem to play a softly when I wanted it to.

Oddly enough, I think the P35 is a better item. No creaking and a bit of a darker sound.

YDP 161/162's- I think they are both great high quality instruments.
However, as they are consoles it seems they might require some asssembly perhaps to get into the apartment?

I would encourage you to look at the new P255 by Yamaha- has GH as well and weighs 36-38 pounds
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2252671 - 03/26/14 08:09 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: Enthusiast]
nc liz Offline

The specs the dealer gave me show the P105 has GHS action.

#2252675 - 03/26/14 08:10 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: nc liz]
nc liz Offline

Sorry, Enthusiast. I misread your post. So, the GH is better than GHS? I am all so new to this. Trying to research as best as I can. Really appreciate everyone's input.

#2252681 - 03/26/14 08:17 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: nc liz]
maurus Online   content
500 Post Club Member

YDP 161/162 by all means. The GH key action is MUCH better than the GHS and your daughter will have much more satisfaction from the 161.

To put it a bit too drastically: The P105 is a toy, the YDP 161 is a musical instrument. (Or, to be more precise, comes close to it, at least.) An alternative to the YDP 161/162 in stage piano form would be the P155/P255.

#2252708 - 03/26/14 09:12 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: nc liz]
Enthusiast Online   content

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: nc liz
Sorry, Enthusiast. I misread your post. So, the GH is better than GHS? I am all so new to this. Trying to research as best as I can. Really appreciate everyone's input.

Yes that's what I meant. I often go from the GHS action on my home digital to the GH action digital at that class. The GH action feels more like an acoustic and I also found it easier to play on compared with what I have at home. It's something to do with the key weight and spacing I guess but I felt I had more margin for error on the GH action. Also it's significantly easier to play at the back of the keys on the GH action compared with the GHS, which is as it is on an acoustic.

I'm not so fond of the sound though but the one I use at class is a different model (CLP 320) just with the same action as the YDP-161

Edited by Enthusiast (03/26/14 09:15 PM)

#2252876 - 03/27/14 08:29 AM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: nc liz]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I would like to throw a small wrench in the works (spanner if you're in the UK or Down Under). You might want to consider the Kawai ES100 as well. It is a fairly new model that has what is generally regarded as a significantly better action than Yamaha's GHS, and at least on a par with GH. It has 88-note sampling (every key has a discrete sample associated with it, as opposed to every 3 or 4 with Yamaha), greater polyphony (192-note), and it falls nicely into your budget at $799. Sound is a personal preference, of course, but I doubt if you would find it any less appealing than the Yamaha piano sound, although the speakers are not terribly powerful. The downside is that you won't find it in stores and would need to order online from a vendor such as Sweetwater or Kraft.

#2254806 - 03/31/14 12:07 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: nc liz]
nc liz Offline

I decided to go for the YDP161. I did get a lower price, offering to pay by check and they also included a brand new three year warranty. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I think my daughter will be thrilled!

#2254814 - 03/31/14 12:21 PM Re: Yamaha P105 or YDP161 [Re: nc liz]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
That is good news. I hope she loves it!

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (anotherscott, AndrewJCW, BarryDMD, Abby Pianoman, 16 invisible), 1121 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305145 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
Today at 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
Today at 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
Today at 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
Today at 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission