2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, 12 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nocturne in F-sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 - BruceD

Such a delicate touch, this was really good. First time I ever heard this nocturne was Kissin performing when he was a teenager. This really brought me back.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Nocturne in F major, Op. 15 No. 1 - Ronald the Beagle

Good work, I agree that the middle could be a little faster but it works well enough at this tempo. The main theme is sensitively played with very bell-like tones. May I ask what piano you use?

Nocturne in F-sharp major, Op. 15 No. 2 - Dame Myra

Terrific! I just wish the recording had less reverb.

Nocturne in G minor, Op. 15 No. 3 - FarmGirl

I don't think I've ever listened to this nocturne before but you seem to have it well in hand. Good job!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nocturne in F minor, Op. 55 No. 1 - Damon
That’s well played, really clean and clear playing. You show that this piece is really under your belt and truly mastered the notes. Thanks for sharing.
I would love to hear your playing on a nice grand though.

Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 55 No. 2 - jeffreyjones
Loved the recording. It’s so true.
And you played this really with confidence, the left hand was beautifully executed. And the extra voices in the right well brought out. I don’t know this piece really well, but I will certainly get to know it now.

Nocturne in B major, Op. 62 No. 1 - Emanuel Ravelli
What sensitivity! I think it’s gorgeous. You made this complex piece sound so easy. That’s a craft you should be really cherish. Thank you very much.

Nocturne in E major, Op. 62 No. 2 - dire tonic
You make me jealous. Now I want to play this too, and your playing will be my example. smile
Polyphonist, you are right this is the most beautiful nocturne.

What a tremendous set this is.
This turns out to be a recital to keep sticky until there's no more power. wink

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Nocturne in C-sharp minor, Op. 27 No. 1 - Morodiene

3hearts

Nocturne in D-flat major, Op. 27 No. 2 - chopinoholic

Another great performance, with the advantage of already being one of my favorites. thumb thumb

Nocturne in B major, Op. 32 No. 1 - Brad Hoehne

Here's another one with which I'm completely unfamiliar. I noticed some memory slips judging by flow but the correct parts made it an enjoyable listen nonetheless. There also seems like there is a flanging effect as if the recording was accidentally doubled.

Nocturne in A-flat major, Op. 32 No. 2 - dynamobt

Once again, unfamiliar, but a well played musical performance.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Thank you everyone who commented on my piece. I cannot listen to the recording very wèll since I'm still in UK. Am looking forward to listening to all of them once I get home on Friday. Cannot wait.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Nocturne in G minor, Op. 37 No. 1 - ElaineAllegro : Another one of my favorite Nocturnes, the stately/steady LH along with the embellishments of the melody is such a nice contrast. You handle these really well.

Nocturne in G major, Op. 37 No. 2 - Arthur Rubinstein : I had never heard this Nocturne before. Those 3rd and 6th runs seem daunting.

Nocturne in C minor, Op. 48 No. 1 - Arthur Rubinstein : I love this! I had forgotten about this one. I had first heard it done my Andre Watts, I think. Nothing against him, but I like this one too even though it's different. Whoever originally took this and couldn't make it on time, please keep at it and post it when you can!

Nocturne in F-sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 - BruceD : Wow! This one seemed like it was tricky to make all of grace notes and fioritura seem a part of the melody, but you handled that very well! And sometimes it's the easiest parts that are the hardest to make musical, like m. 113-114, but I think rather than just play through this, you made it one of the most musical moments of the piece.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Nocturne in F minor, Op. 55 No. 1 - Damon : Those triplets at the end were awesome! Loved it!

Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 55 No. 2 - jeffreyjones : I'm not familiar with this one, but it seems that it would be tricky to deal with the RH duet in the opening theme. You do a great job with this back and forth of the melody. And those trills! Gah! Reminds me of the Waldstein (nightmare). Great job!

Nocturne in B major, Op. 62 No. 1 - Emanuel Ravelli : You have a beautiful singing melody over this busy accompaniment. I especially appreciate your choices of asynchronization. You get some crazy trilling in here as well as in the previous nocturne - very nicely handled. I just can't say enough about how moving this was to listen to!

Nocturne in E major, Op. 62 No. 2 - dire tonic : I was excited to hear this on the VIlabs Ravencroft. It it so warm! And your playing complements it perfectly. It was such a pleasure just listening. Thank you! What touch curve did you use with the Ravencroft, or did you make your own? I think you explained it to me once before, but how did you record the sound of the software?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Nocturne Opus 32/1 - Brad Hoehne - Many nice moments in your rendition but sometimes your approach seems a little too aggressive and the transitions too sudden. Still I enjoyed your recording - along with the one you posted on your digital.

Nocturne Opus 32/2 - dynamobt - Beautifully played !! thumb My only suggestion might be that you consider moving the piece along a bit more and try to cut about about a minute from the total running time.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nocturne in E minor, Op. 72 No. 1 - PikaPianist

I'm speechless. That was absolutely stunning. Everything about the video, the dim ambiance, the hand movements, everything gave me chills, such a mysterious sound. That was incredible, you really expressed yourself here. My ears love you.

Nocturne in C-sharp minor, B. 49 - doctor S

Very subtle, peaceful and full of emotion. Great recording.

Nocturne in C minor, B. 108 - TwoSnowflakes

Your performance was delightful, delicate and made me feel relaxed. It also made me think of a sad clown walking slowly through a field of flowers, not sure why...lol

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Nocturne in G minor, Op. 37 No. 1 - ElaineAllegro

This nocturne is cool. I have to add this to my todo list. Nicely played.

Nocturne in G major, Op. 37 No. 2 - Artur Rubinstein

Okay.

Nocturne in C minor, Op. 48 No. 1 - Artur Rubinstein

Whatever.

Nocturne in F-sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 - BruceD

As usual, solid work. You hold this big nocturne together very well and your ornaments are great.

Online Content

Nocturne, Opus 72 No. 1 - PikaPianist - Exquisite from start to finish !!

Nocturne, B. 49 - doctorS - Beautifully played - although I found the asynchronization between the LH and RH on the first beat of several measures to be somewhat disconcerting. Don't know if that was intentional or subconscious on your part.

Nocturne, B. 108 - TwoSnowflakes - Delicate, relaxing and musical !! Well done !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Online Content

Nocturne, Opus 55/1 - Damon - Extremely well played - and I really liked the way you handle the final stretto section.

Nocturne, Opus 55/2 - Jeffrey Jones - Definitely one of the more challenging Nocturnes and you pulled it off beautifully.

Nocturne, Opus 62/1 - Emanuel Ravelli - Phil, you didn't disappoint with this one !! Such wonderful control and attention to detail. A masterful rendition of a challenging piece. And your Steinway B sounds gorgeous !!

Nocturne, Opus 62/2 - Dire Tonic - I was looking forward to this performance because 1) I play the piece myself and 2) I knew you'd do an excellent job with it - and you did !! At times your touch seems a bit too heavy, but your concept of the work (even though it differs at times from mine) makes sense - and you have certainly made this piece your own. Bravo !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Online Content

Nocturne - Opus 37/1 - Elaine Allegro - Elaine I've sent you a PM with a few suggestions on how you might take your performance of this Nocturne to the next level - based on my own recent experience with the piece. Very nice work - and I look forward to hearing future recordings !!!!! smile

Nocturne - Opus 48/2 - BruceD - I always enjoy hearing you play - and you've given us an impressive interpretation of this beautiful Nocturne. Your playing of the final eight measures is absolutely exquisite! A couple of very picky little observations: 1) It sounds like you slightly rush or anticipate the first beats of measures 8, 10 and 16 and again in measure 36 and 38. Is that intentional?? 2) In the middle section, a few of the 16th note passages sound a little rushed and, as a result, sometimes the final 16th note gets lost. You might want to pull back and take your time with those. But, as I said, these are really picky little details. Overall this is an excellent performance. thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Nocturne in G minor, Op. 37 No. 1 – ElaineAllegro

You bring out the melody line very well, and have done a good job with the embellishments. It was very nice to listen to your performance.

Nocturne in G major, Op. 37 No. 2 - Arthur Rubinstein

I tried to sign up for this nocturne myself, but lost my opportunity because I didn’t send a PM. No problem really, Arthur plays better than me, and I signed up for another piece in the Tchaikovsky recital instead….

Nocturne in C minor, Op. 48 No. 1 - Arthur Rubinstein

The most technically demanding of the nocturnes. Great to listen to the great master’s interpretation of it.

Nocturne in F-sharp minor, Op. 48 No. 2 – BruceD

Although it is not so well known this is one of my favorites among the nocturnes. Particularly the middle part is what I would call “essential Chopin”. You played this difficult piece really well. Thanks for sharing!

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I've had a listen now to all the performances posted (except Rubinstein, whom I've heard before). Really wonderful playing across the board. I've heard many members in other recitals, and I think everyone stepped it up a notch with this recital, but people that I'd never heard before surprised me with some truly excellent playing. Bravo! smile

When this recital was first posted, I wanted to play Op 48 No 1 in C minor, since it was the only Nocturne in the set that I've played before (at performance level), and is my favorite, but someone else had already grabbed it. Too bad we didn't get a recording of this one.. I was really looking forward to it.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux
When this recital was first posted, I wanted to play Op 48 No 1 in C minor, since it was the only Nocturne in the set that I've played before (at performance level), and is my favorite, but someone else had already grabbed it. Too bad we didn't get a recording of this one.. I was really looking forward to it.

I think there's enough time before this recital is over to post a recording right here in the comments. I would love to hear your take on this smile.
I'm sure Joel wouldn't mind?

Paul

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Nocturne in F minor, Op. 55 No. 1 – Damon

Fine performance! Particularly the last part where you managed the technical challenges excellently and also made out the middle voice very clearly. I enjoyed listening.

Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 55 No. 2 – jeffreyjones

I’m impressed by the way you managed to perform this nocturne. I have listened to it on several occasions before, but this was the first time it really caught my ear. Beautiful playing!

Nocturne in B major, Op. 62 No. 1 - Emanuel Ravelli

I’m perhaps an odd person, but this is my personal favorite among the Chopin nocturnes. And I was stunned by your interpretation. Such a peace and calmness the whole way through! And near flawless playing. Thanks for sharing.

Nocturne in E major, Op. 62 No. 2 - dire tonic

I love the E major nocturne. Although it is quite challenging both musically and technically you manage to play the piece very convincingly. Excellent tempo and dynamics, and I appreciate your eye for the fine details of the piece. Great job!

M
M
Nocturne in E minor, Op. 72 No. 1 - PikaPianist : well done! I love the passion with which you play this piece. This was my first Nocturne and my first exposure to Chopin - this brings back many fond memories.

Nocturne in C-sharp minor, B. 49 - doctor S : Very nice! I think you played this perfectly. I enjoy the asynchronization choices you made and think it suits the style very well. Bravo!

Nocturne in C minor, B. 108 - TwoSnowflakes : I'm totally unfamiliar with this one and didn't have the sheet music to refer to. You play with lots of confidence and a beautiful singing melody!

Thank you to all who participated in the Nocturne portion. It's been truly an honor to play with you. I'm very excited to hear what the Waltz people have in store for us wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nocturne in E minor, Op. 72 No. 1 - PikaPianist
Love the tempo. It fits really nice. Great dynamics. You make this piece sound much more mature. It was Chopin's first nocturne when he was about 17 years old. Thanks for joining this recital smile

Nocturne in C-sharp minor, B. 49 - doctor S
This was the first nocturne I ever played. I was still very young and I enjoyed the first chords so much I played them LOUD to hear all of it..
Of course it should be played like you did. The thoughtful intro to a beautiful piece of music.
Those last runs you executed just as intended.
I remember editions of this nocturne with two different time signatures for the right and the left hand in the the "B" section.

Nocturne in C minor, B. 108 - TwoSnowflakes
What ChopinLives81 said, this made me feel relaxed too. but it is his fault that I now also see clowns when hearing this piece. crazy

Paul

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission