2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2252689 03/26/14 08:40 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi. I'm looking forward to sharing a love of the piano and also looking for help and advice. Because of age issues I can no longer memorize music. And realistically, my playing ability and technique aren't going to improve much, if at all. So I've decided to change my expectations and goals, rather than lower them. I would like to learn how to write my own compositions and arrangements at a level that I can play and that sound good to me. I include improvisation here also, but at my own level which is early intermediate at best.

Recently someone posted a link to a song (on another web site) asking if anyone could I.D. it. No one could, but I liked it so much I transcribed it so I could play it.
Here's a link to my playing of my transcription of this simple piece:
Unidentified Tune

If anyone else likes this music it would be great if we could discuss what it is, exactly, that we like about it. That would give me ideas about how to write similar music. I've already started a chord analysis of it. Would anyone like to join me in a thorough analysis?

Is anyone else dealing with similar issues? The options seem to be composition (including improvisation) and arranging or becoming whiz bang sight readers. But sight reading requires quick thinking also and that ability, like memory, diminishes over time.

SF

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Sunny welcome to the Forum - it may help you to post in the Composers Forum.

Follow you dreams, play a tune or two, compose and all those good things. Let us know how it goes.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, SunnyFriday! I like the idea of changing your aspirations to the one that matters the most in the long run: Playing the kind of music that gives you the most pleasure. I know that is what I aim for in my piano journey. I don't care in the least if I can't play the classical repertoire or do trills etc. But I enjoy what I'm doing, and it sounds like you are, too. smile

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome SunnyFriday

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome sunnyfriday. That was nicely played. Keep up the good work doing what you love.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Welcome SunnyFriday! I love the way you have reframed your goals. Look forward to chatting with you on the forum

[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Welcome Sunny...
Liked your piece.
Liked your post. I am sort of along the same lines as yourself. I wish to compose someday. I know I'll never become any John Williams. Simpler pieces are for me. To get and record the basis of the song. Only voice and piano. Something that could easily be expanded upon.
My only problem is that I'm learning so much right now. My teacher has me wrapped up in much understanding. Then throwing me in the deep end of the pool at the end of the lesson. Leaves me going through my theory books. Trying out things on the keyboard. Learning how to play my piano. I'm only a one year student so far. He also don't let up on playing well. Basically.... I'm having to stay focused on what my teacher gives me. There isn't any of me left over for focusing on anything else.
I hope some others might chime in who are into improv and composing.

EDIT: I'd like to also suggest the composers lounge. Lots of improv and study of things there. Lots of learning going on.

Last edited by rnaple; 03/28/14 12:35 AM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome. I think this forum may be a good place to develop and articulate one's goals and gain inspiration and ideas from member's posts and submissions. I'm happy to be here.

Rnaple, it looks like you're having fun. And if your teacher wants you to play well, why that sounds like a very good idea smile When you start writing your own music I hope you share with us.

Last edited by SunnyFriday; 03/28/14 02:18 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I am a composer, arranger, and improviser. Please feel free to message me if you want to talk.

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
OP Offline
S
Polyphonist, that is very kind and generous of you. Because of the advice I've received here I've been going through the Composer's Lounge. Your music is wonderful. Everyone here probably already knows this, but in case not, make a bee line over to the Composer's Lounge and listen to Polyphonist's Tarantella, Prelude in B Flat, and Impromptu in B Major. That's as far as I've gotten so far. That Impromptu - well, what a delight that is. We're really fortunate that we can hear some of this new art music written by serious composers. Thank you PianoWorld.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by SunnyFriday
If anyone else likes this music it would be great if we could discuss what it is, exactly, that we like about it. That would give me ideas about how to write similar music. I've already started a chord analysis of it. Would anyone like to join me in a thorough analysis?

I'd be happy to. Would you send me your score so I can take a look?

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Welcome Sunny. Nice playing. Have you looked into any of the computer software that prints music as you play it on the keyboard?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks very much Dave. No, I haven't looked at anything like that. Do you recommend something?

Polyphonist has been working with me. His penetrating questions have got me really looking at the music.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission