2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello,

I've been a part time apprentice to a tuner in the North Bay Area of California for several years. My mentor is approaching retirement and has health issues which prevent him from matching my more recent drive to accelerate the learning process. I'm curious about supplementing my training at a tech school, have some financial support to do so, and am willing to travel anywhere where English is the primary language of instruction. I'm also willing to backtrack a bit, to learn other approaches to temperament, regulation, etc.. The schools in Boston (NBSS) and Chicago (CSPT) look promising. Does anyone have any experience in a formal tech school environment that they'd care to share? Thanks!

-nik

Nik Proctor
tuner's apprentice
post-contemporary composer
sea-monkey royalist
semi-confident lion tamer
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
The Boston school has a particularly good reputation, it seems. Also to be considered is the course at Wester University on London Ontario:
http://www.pianotech.uwo.ca/

I don't know what the Ontario course costs, but i know the Boston one is expensive!

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I moved from the California Bay Area (Oakland) to attend CSPT 4 years ago. It was an incredibly rewarding and enriching experience, and well prepared me for the field. It is not a daily, Mon-Fri school - classes meet at most twice a week. Students are expected to spend a significant amount of time outside of class practicing skills, so you definitely need to be self-motivated and committed. Personally, I loved the setup and never felt like the instruction or support was lacking. If you do go I'd highly recommend continuing on to the advanced curriculum. You'll get experience either doing a full rebuild or a pinblock/restringing job, plus concentrate on further refining tuning/regulation skills. And Paul Revenko-Jones is a wonderful teacher/mentor, and a joy to work with one-on-one.

At NBSS, you'd definitely have a more familiar school schedule, and access to more resources, as the school is larger and more established, and due to proximity to piano manufacturers and the classical music hub of NY.

Either school would be an excellent choice. Knowing what both schools have to offer, I don't regret my choice at all, though, coming from the natural beauty of the Bay Area, the sprawling flat expanse of Chicago was a bit of a letdown. wink

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
With the advance of technology, do not overlook technicians who offer courses over Skype. You will be able to save money on transportaion and accomodations compared to moving to another city to study.

OP Offline
Thank you all kindly for your input! It's of great value to me.

I'm additionally open to local work, an internship, a supplemental apprenticeship, if anyone is aware of a technician or shop in the North Bay looking for help. Thanks again!

Nik Proctor
tuner's apprentice
post-contemporary composer
sea-monkey royalist
semi-confident lion tamer
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
With the advance of technology, do not overlook technicians who offer courses over Skype. You will be able to save money on transportaion and accomodations compared to moving to another city to study.

Self promotion issues aside, there are huge and very important benefits and advantages that full-time attendance schools have over correspondence or online training. Nik has indicated that he is willing to move to further his education, and I don't consider online correspondence to be an adequate substitute for the kind of in-person, hands on training he would receive at a school.

If money were an issue I'd definitely keep it on the table, but given the choice between attending a school, apprenticing with a local qualified technician or choosing online correspondence courses, and assuming that one would be financially and geographically able to choose any of them, I would rank them in that order, with attending a formal school first, and online correspondence being the least preferred option.

ASB Piano Service
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Sent you PM.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by adamp88

If money were an issue I'd definitely keep it on the table.

Thanks for the fair assessment.

Don't forget geography. With piano technology becoming more scarce, opportunities to learn it will also be more difficult to find. This may help fill the void.

For sure, the online option requires a strong independant study skill where one supplements the learning with parallel resources like meetings, mentoring, volunteering, conventions, etc.

My concern with formal schooling is that they teach more than the basic tuner needs to start their career, and charge for it too. There are certainly more ways to learn the trade. I mearly wanted to present them all. Being a new technology, I am used to it being criticized, but time will tell what real benefit there is to this method. Of course, the skill of the instructor, at instructing, not just the doing part, makes a difference. "Those who can't teach; can only do."

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Adam,

I just reread your post. I saw the geography reference. Missed it the first time. Thanks.

But I did want to make two more points.

A local qualified technician may actually have superior instructional skills.

And many instructors at these schools are just that themselves; local qualified technicians.

I wouldn't necessarily put them in that order. Also keep in mind there are elements of an education a student may miss in the sheltered walls of a school. Perhaps not as important, and certainly learnable after the course, but missing, just the same.

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Self-promotion seems a rather ad hominem remark when accompanied by the promotion of another business by proxy or even via recommendation.

Last edited by bkw58; 03/27/14 10:55 PM. Reason: clarity

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I don't agree - as I don't stand to benefit in any way should Nik choose a school, whereas Mark does stand to benefit directly should Nik follow his advice.

ASB Piano Service
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Here is another school option.

http://www.pianotech.uwo.ca/index.html

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I don't agree - as I don't stand to benefit in any way should Nik choose a school, whereas Mark does stand to benefit directly should Nik follow his advice.

Thanks, Adam. You do not benefit, but the school you studied under, and of which you speak, does. But you could be right. It is not a spokesman for the school that is doing the posting. Notwithstanding, this whole "self-promotion" issue - and the criticism of it - is hard to understand. If a tuner-tech talks about his teaching business in this type of thread, it's called "self promotion." On the other hand, if a tech or rebuilder shows his "before and after" shots along with commentary in that particular thread, it's called "wonderful," and "great job." Both seem to promote the tech's expertise/business. Both could be construed as free advertising. Personally, I have no problem with either. It's all educational.

Last edited by bkw58; 03/28/14 10:44 AM. Reason: typo

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Mark would only benefit if Nik chose his online presentations.

There are many other online choices.

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M

What?

I'm not the only tech offering this service. And what makes you think he would like my style? The point remains; he may not have thought about it and I brought it up.

By the way, I did not in any way mention that I offer that service. He would have had to go to my site and searched through the lessons, videos, and pages, to find that out. But thanks to you, now he knows.

P.S. I wrote this before reading the other responses to Adam's post. Thank you Dan and. Bob for your objective responses.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 03/29/14 01:56 AM.
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Dan, I already posted the UWO link, in the first reply in this thread!

Its in your signature line....

Richard, the"Piano Guy"
Piano Moving Tuning & Repair
From London ON to Fort Erie ON
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

The point remains; he may not have thought about it and I brought it up.

That is certainly fair enough, and I apologize for coming on too strong earlier. Online tutoring is certainly a legitimate option that may be a good fit for some. I probably should have explained in my first post in this thread that I was looking at Nik's educational options with an eye on what option would give him the most comprehensive learning environment that would advance his skills the quickest. I still maintain that a structured, hands-on school environment is the best in this regard.

By the way, I did not in any way mention that I offer that service. He would have had to go to my site and searched through the lessons, videos, and pages, to find that out. But thanks to you, now he knows.

Well, let's be honest, it wouldn't be that difficult for someone to read your first post, see the www.howtotunepianos.com link in your signature and put two and two together. wink

Last edited by adamp88; 03/30/14 05:20 PM.

ASB Piano Service

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission