2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Some time ago, I posted a recording of the 1st movement from a small recital. Yesterday, I finally recorded the whole sonata at home. I will let it rest for a while now, but music as this is lifetime work-in-progress of course, and therefore comments and criticism are very welcome.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Lovely. Very lyrical. And the first movement was a big step up from the previous recording. Great energy and phrasing in the second movement. The adagio ma non troppo was a little troppo I thought, but that's a matter of taste. A joy to listen to.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you so much for listening also to this new recording, Heather! I also think it has improved, compared to the previous recording of the first movement, though of course there would be still a lot to work on. But for now, it's time to let it rest for a while... I'll think of your comment about the adagio when I'll come back to the piece.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thought you did a wonderful job with this. I haven't had time to listen or comment on much lately but your performance was very compelling and I had to stay until the end. I am not able to make any suggestion for you because I really have no expertise with Beethoven's music. But I think it's fair to say you will grow into this over time. It's got tremendous potential.

T
T
Hi pianovirus, I have been listening to your Beethoven right before, and now I want to express my deep respect for what you are doing with this terribly difficult masterwork. Of course I would have many remarks, questions.... but this is not the main thing! I can feel lots of sensitivity and love, and behind all this lots of knowledge. And the result is a very remarkable version which makes Beethoven "speak to us"!

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Sometimes you have a painful look on your face that doesn't really match the music. I like your evenness on the melody line.

Poetry is rhythm
T
T
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Sometimes you have a painful look on your face that doesn't really match the music.

There are many painful moments in this beautiful score, for example the "Adagio" movement has been called "Klagegesang" by Beethoven himself. So the face may definitely be a "mirror" of this. Anyway, good and precious music is never funny, that's what already Schubert said.... And if you don't like what you see, just close your eyes and listen cool

T
T
P.S. I have to correct myself: Beethoven called the Adagio "Klagender Gesang" and (in Italian) "Arioso dolente". This doesn't change the meaning, I simply want to be precise smile

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Pathbreaker, Tony, and phantomFive - sorry for the late reply!
Thanks for listening to all of you, and for the encouraging comments.

phantomFive, there is, as Tony also mentions, a lot of pain, not only in the Arioso dolente sections. The first movement may seem quite serene, but there for me the predominant feeling is "Wehmut" (woefulness?). Of course this shows up in the music, but it does not have to show up in facial expressions. However, I can't control it anyways and so I have stopped worrying about this aspect of my playing.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
What a fantastic piece of music - Wow!! You play so very melodiously. You bring out Beethoven's genius and music beautifully from start to finish - to start, it's complex, playful, soft-spoken, large, so very musical and natural the way you play. Thank you for your music
Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Dear Glen,

wow, thank you so much for that nice feedback! For those who know the piece well it is obvious that there are still a ton of "rough edges", especially in the third movement. But good to hear that you enjoyed it already as it is! I really love this sonata...

All the best,
pianovirus

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission