Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
67 registered (bennevis, barbaram, AndyP, 21 invisible), 1190 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2254820 - 03/31/14 12:39 PM What are some good digital teaching tools? Apps, etc.
splendorlex Offline

I'm a proud new owner of a Casio PX-780. It sounds great and I'm excited to get started. I know that finding a piano teacher is how I will go eventually, but with this fancy digital piano with its USB input, I figured there must be some good digital tools out there.

What are some good things to look for?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2254858 - 03/31/14 02:39 PM Re: What are some good digital teaching tools? Apps, etc. [Re: splendorlex]
EM Deeka Offline

You can check out the free trial for Piano Marvel online practice sessions which works using the USB midi interface over the internet !!
http://www.pianomarvel.com/

#2254860 - 03/31/14 02:40 PM Re: What are some good digital teaching tools? Apps, etc. [Re: splendorlex]
eejake52 Offline

Loc: Invermere, BC
I use a program called "eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method". It is about $50. I did some research last year and it had very good reviews. You can get free stuff online, but it is very mixed in quality and value. You can buy it in lots of places. You can read the reviews at Amazon.

In order to provide feedback to the student, the program "listens" to you as you play the assignments. You can use just a microphone, but best results are obtained if the keyboard has a MIDI out and the computer has a MIDI in. The PX780 will just need a USB cable to your computer to achieve this.

Also, you need to consider how to place the laptop so that the screen is visible to the student while seated at the piano. If your computer screen can't fit behind the music holder, then perhaps one of the tablet based apps should be considered.

Also, the program uses Quicktime technology a lot, which is a known CPU hog, so you need a newish computer. My laptop is 7 years old, and occasionally the CPU load causes it to overheat (however, this is true of any CPU intense program I run - not just the eMedia program). So, probably anything with an I3 CPU or better would be fine.

Jake

#2254868 - 03/31/14 03:09 PM Re: What are some good digital teaching tools? Apps, etc. [Re: splendorlex]
TheodorN Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Skåne, Sweden
I don't think you can play MIDI files in eMedia, other than the ones that come with it, which are not very interesting, to say the least.

Synthesia is quite popular and inexpensive. You can play MIDI files, and see the notes. In learning mode, you can make the program stop the song for you until you hit the right notes.

Similar, a bit more expensive, but quite good, is MIDI Illustrator.

Finally, Home Concert Xtreme, costs more than the other two, but with more features. Their website was down when I checked.

These are the ones I remember, of which I've used Synthesia and MIDI Illustrator.

PS Congratulations on your new Casio PX-780.

Edited by TheodorN (03/31/14 03:13 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

#2255290 - 04/01/14 11:24 AM Re: What are some good digital teaching tools? Apps, etc. [Re: TheodorN]
EM Deeka Offline

Are there any forum members from down under who could comment on Musiah.com ?

It also seems to be similar to Pianomarvel.com with online digital piano interfaced lessons.

#2255384 - 04/01/14 02:26 PM Re: What are some good digital teaching tools? Apps, etc. [Re: splendorlex]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
People will argue this, but I feel one of the best learning tools is to pipe MIDI to a keyboard that has lighted keys (keys that light up when it receives MIDI). You can slow down song play if you need. Learn to play by hearing the melody and chords and instantly seeing how they are voiced on the keyboard and play along with it at the speed you're comfortable with. I feel this approach mimics that of a good teacher, because basically a good teacher shows you how to voice chords, move from one chord to the next - this is important on the piano. Does your Casio have the lighted-keys capability?

Edited by Michael Martinez (04/01/14 02:27 PM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348982 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission