2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 94 of 119 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 118 119
J
J
I haven't posted in here for a while, would love to hear how you're all going with your Mr E pieces?

I have got into a bit of Yann Tiersen- Le Moulin, Comptine d' un autre ete, and Sur le Fil, got them by memory and I love them so much! Especially that 19/16 timing part in Sur le Fil.

I feel a bit like I'm cheating on Einaudi, haha. But still working on getting Questa Notte and Ancora smoothly by memory, it's just the last two pages of Ancora that trip me up. It's so beautiful though, I never get sick of playing it.

Still struggling with quality of recording, I have another tablet now so will try and get a
decent vid or two.

What are the rest of you up to in your playing? Anything you're especially loving at the moment?

Inspired by Einaudi and Tiersen.
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I think 'especially loving it at the moment' says it all. I keep surprising myself by suddenly finding yet another piece among my Einaudi albums that I can't believe was waiting there all the time; my latest discovery is Indaco. Perhaps it seemed too advanced when I first looked, but I'm starting to manage it; Dietro Casa is another.

My all-time favourites are still I Giorni, Nefelli, Julia and Nuvole Bianche ... and Burning is coming up on the list.

I try to get interested in something else - perhaps one of Satie's Gymnopedies or Tiersen's La Valse d'Amelie - but before I know it I'm back with Einaudi again. And happy.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
J
J
Yes exactly Marie. I play Satie's 3rd Gnossienne, it's nice but still not as soulful as I find Einaudi.
I've dabbled in Tiersen with the 3 in my post above, but before I know it, I'm back with Mr E. I like I Giorni too, haven't tried the others yet. Nefelli seems to be a popular one around here?

Last night I slipped and fell onto Musicnotes and bought Monday, Melody Africana IV and L' Origine Nascosta. I'm ridiculously excited to have three new songs! *jumps around squealing*

Now I just need to convince a friend to take up the cello. LOL.

J
J
Just discovered a huge typo in my (purchased!!) copy of Melodia Africana IV.
Not happy! Just had to scribble over it in pencil, don't have white-out on me.

Wondered why it was sounding so yuck just in bars 96-110, saw a comment on a YT clip of a girl doing the same wrong notes for a concert (ohhh bugger) and whaddaya know it should be LH doing treble clef not bass clef.

I wonder how many other people have been caught out like this?

I'm really loving it though, especially about 3 minutes in where my fingers get tangled LOL, why do I always fall in love with the trickiest bits?

How is everyone going with their pieces at the moment? Anything else new you're into?

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I’d been keeping up with this thread (more a tapestry than a thread!) for the past 12 months or so, but a few days ago I started idly browsing through the earliest posts ...and I only stopped at page 29 because my long-suffering husband was mournfully waving a knife and fork and asking where was dinner.

I realised what a wonderful and unique resource this was - full of passion, humour, advice, struggle, determination, encouragement, assistance, enthusiasm and joy. The whole 60+ pages deserve to be printed, bound and packaged to be given away with every Einaudi album sold, whether sheet music or CD. With more copies available from every piano dealer.

And of course a specially-bound copy to go to Einaudi himself, to show him just what his music means to people, and how many he has inspired to learn to play the piano (even those of us who believed that they were FAR too old to start!)

J
J
You're so right, Marie. I too spent ages reading through the thread, loving people's discovery and experiences of Mr E's pieces, before I posted.

I hope he would be heartened to learn he's affected us so much.

I certainly owe him my passion for piano being rediscovered. Without finding 'I Giorni' (first piece I learned), I'd still be sitting around on my old classical repertoire, bored out of my tree!

Monday and Melodia Africana are going well, they suit my mood at the moment and roll so nicely off the fingers. I really enjoyed mastering the complex bit in M/A, has anyone else played this one before and how did you find it?

J
J
Whoops I accidentally fell onto the Book Depository and bought Best Of Einaudi. The next 2 weeks is gonna be torture!

I spotted your glowing review of it too, Monika laugh

J
J
Yay! Musicnotes.com changed the error in the sheetmusic for Melodia Africana IV!

Now it can be all pretty in my scrapbook without my pencil marks all over it LOL.

Nice to know they take feedback seriously though, and it won't catch anyone else out in the future. smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jessiebear
Yay! Musicnotes.com changed the error in the sheetmusic for Melodia Africana IV!

Now it can be all pretty in my scrapbook without my pencil marks all over it LOL.

Nice to know they take feedback seriously though, and it won't catch anyone else out in the future. smile

Wow, that's cool!

BTW (re your earlier comment) I Giorni was also the piece that got me hooked (thanks to Monica, because that's how I first learned about Einaudi).

Also, did any one see my question a few posts back about Nefeli? About how to "play through" that dramatic rest mid-way through the piece? I'll try to write out what I'm playing and post it later, I don't really like it, but I don't want to play that rest, so I'd love some feedback or other suggestions.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hi Shiro! I just got back from spring break and am only now catching up on PW. I will confess that I actually *like* the abrupt pause in Nefeli. When he talks about the piece in the liner notes, he says he wrote it for the small daughter of a family friend. I like to imagine the energy of a toddler/preschooler who goes full force ahead with hustle and bustle and cheer until they collapse abruptly into a nap. Then they wake up and head off again. grin

That being said, Mr. Super-Hunky would be applauding your effort to improvise on the arrangement, and heaven knows Einaudi himself introduces variations of his pieces in concert. So I say you should go for it!

p.s. to Marie: Welcome to the forum, and the Einaudi thread in particular! I love to think of what Einaudi would do with a spiral bound copy of this thread. "Perplexed bemusement" is the phrase that comes to mind. ha

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Jessiebear, don't put the white-out away just yet. My copy of the Einaudi - The Best Of album, bought a couple of years ago, has exactly the same typo in Melodia African IV. I'm glad it's one of the pieces I've yet to tackle. I'd be interested to know if it has been corrected in your edition. (Short break while everyone turns to Page 92 to check theirs.)

And Monica - your phrase could almost describe my thoughts when I first opened that same album, flicked through the 175 pages, and came to the sudden, horrible realisation that I had bitten off far more than I could ever chew.

J
J
Hi MarieJ,
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be treble cleff on both staves though, as it duplicates that later on in the piece. And sounds bloody awful as it was. I feel so sorry for that poor girl I watched doing it the first way, cringe!

Monika welcome back laugh

J
J
SQUEEEE!!!!!

My 'Best Of' book just arrived!!! I'm absolutely giddy with excitement of what to play next!

Settled for Africana III as it's similar to the IV I've just learnt, then maybe La Linea Scura?

Oh the choices!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yes! La Linea Secura is wonderful, I highly recommend it!!

I just started Nuvole Bianche, it's a lot "easier" than I expected -- I put easier in quotes because it's not that the piece is easy, but it's very easy to work on. For example, compared to another piece by Rocherolle that I've been trying to get into my fingers, it's not much different in terms of difficulty but when I just practice it, it's very unpleasant... whatever that means, sorry I'm not feeling very articulate today!

In any case, congrats Jessie, that's a wonderful book isn't it!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ok, so I've been meaning to post this forever, but I finally got around making and uploading the photos.

So here is the part of Nefeli that I don't like (Sorry Monica! I have no doubt you can pull it off, but I can't! smile

Edited to add (in case someone didn't see me earlier post several pages back) -- I don't like the forte moving into the aburpt rest, when I play it I feel like it sounds like a mistake. And since I hope to record and share this with friends and family (who don't know Einaudi's music), I don't want to have to include a disclaimer "hey, you know that part that sounds like I got lost, that's actually how its written..."
So my solution has been to play through that rest. Anyway, here's the original:

[Linked Image]

What I've been doing is taking that one measure rest, and having the RH play and hold the A, and the LH plays the part that's circled here below, so two measures:

[Linked Image]

Oh, and I should mention that I do a ritardando in the two measures before the rest, and then I play my added two measures softly and sort of ease into the return to the intro theme. So, it works ok... But does anyone have any other suggestions? I thought maybe I could use the RH/LH parts from the section that starts in measure 69, but I couldn't get anything that I liked.

Or, if someone would be willing to try it as I'm playing it, and tell me what you think, that would be awesome smile

So, again, any comments, thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 04/16/14 10:12 PM. Reason: to add info

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
Hi Shiro, thanks yes I'm stoked. Just a shame I can't play straight from the book as it would ruin the spine having to flatten it out.

I definitely see your issue with that bar in Nefeli and I think that is a good way of approaching it. I will play it and report back laugh

eta: yep that sounds nice with the extra bit in the rest.

(Now I'm curious to play the rest of the piece, dammit! lol)

Last edited by Jessiebear; 04/17/14 12:26 AM.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jessiebear
Hi Shiro, thanks yes I'm stoked. Just a shame I can't play straight from the book as it would ruin the spine having to flatten it out.

I know what you mean! I copy all the pieces I want to play and leave the book without my markings and all that. I just copied Nuvole Bianche and am getting ready to do my score-thing so I can have it all laid out with only one page turn (a challenge since it's 8 pages!)

I definitely see your issue with that bar in Nefeli and I think that is a good way of approaching it. I will play it and report back laugh

eta: yep that sounds nice with the extra bit in the rest.

(Now I'm curious to play the rest of the piece, dammit! lol)

Oh, thanks for playing it!! It's good to know that at least someone else doesn't think my adaptation sounds awful.

I would say Nefeli should be very easy/accessible for you since you've tackled Oltremare (among others!) (Also isn't the score in Best of? or maybe Islands? I can't remember which one I got it from, now that I have both).

Also, if anyone is interested in Nuvole Bianche, it's very accessible. I've only been playing/practicing it for a few days and I am already working through the first 5 pages. If you've play a few Einaudi pieces, this one just fits right into the fingers like you already know.

And, anyone else who wants to try my Nefeli adaptation, please do! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
Yes you're quite right- there are similarities running through many of his pieces, 3 against 2 for instance and the Africana theme.
Nefeli is in Best Of, so that's good hehe.

Oltremare remains one of my favourites. I managed to do it justice playing for my wee concert for Dad's birthday recently. You know when a certain piece just gets under your skin and you feel a connection straight away? smile

I just saw this video by Carlos on Facebook, of him playing "Indaco" for the BESTalent contest. It's a gorgeous video--very professional and well done--and Carlos's playing is impeccable. I did a quick search and couldn't see that he had posted it anywhere in the forum, but it sure belongs here on this thread. Bravo, Carlos!!

[video:youtube]pmfjdR_KJig[/video]

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
OMGosh, that's just wonderful!

Wait, that's a talent contest for the company Carlos works at??? Why am I not working there also! laugh

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 94 of 119 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 118 119

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission