Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
107 registered (anamnesis, AnimistFvR, Auntie Lynn, AndyP, 28 invisible), 1303 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2255659 - 04/01/14 10:03 PM Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha??
Fantality Offline

I took a glimpse over at the prices paid thread and I see so many more Kawai's and Casio's being purchased than Yamaha's. Infact, I barely see Yamaha's.

I was under the impression that Yamaha's were the most popular Digital Pianos? Maybe because my school only uses Yamaha's and Guitar Center / Musiciansfriend has a lot more Yamaha models than Kawai's and Casio's.

So, do Kawai and Casio make better Digital Pianos than Yamaha does? What is the reasoning behind much higher demand for the first two mentioned and barely none for Yahama?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2255670 - 04/01/14 10:28 PM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Fantality]
David Farley Online   content

Loc: Illinois
I get the impression that at a certain price point, Kawai and Casio have some good consumer offerings that Yamaha doesn't match. You can't find any Yamaha keyboard with triple sensor action for under $1,000, but I can think of at least two Casio models off the top of my head. On the other hand, Yamaha has heavily marketed to the educational market for years. I don't know if they offer significant discounts or what. For instance, my old school installed a piano lab not too long ago that has 41 Yamaha Clavinovas.

#2255678 - 04/01/14 10:46 PM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Fantality]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mike and James. smile

#2255680 - 04/01/14 10:47 PM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Fantality]
ShiverMeTimbres Offline

Casio are great price points for their features. I've got pretty much every connection I want on my PX-350 with the ability to USB record and many other features.

#2255715 - 04/02/14 12:34 AM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Fantality]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
One thing to note is that this is a 'piano' forum. We are in the digital piano section but I would guess that this forum is a bit different from a 'synth' forum. You might see a lot more Yamahas there. A lot of us are looking for a substitute for an acoustic piano.

Kawai has been making products geared toward piano players. I just got a Kawai (after having a Casio and a Yamaha) and I am blown away by this thing. The piano sound is really good and the action is pretty amazing (I'm just learning some of the features to adjust how it feels, and like it smile )

I personally didn't like Yamaha's action - it's a bit hard at the bottom of the key stroke (I have been finding that their acoustic pianos are a little like that though) and I REALLY don't like the feeling of the spring-loaded keys. If I was not playing on acoustic pianos at the conservatory I'd probably never notice. The quality is good and the sound isn't bad especially on their higher end units.

Casio has a low price point and you get a lot of keyboard in a small, lightweight package.

#2255732 - 04/02/14 02:05 AM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Fantality]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
My local dealer says Kawais are his best sellers. Has always been Yamahas previously. But he`s sold loads of DGXs which are officially "keyboards" . .

""

#2255756 - 04/02/14 03:03 AM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Fantality]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Fantality
So, do Kawai and Casio make better Digital Pianos than Yamaha does?

No, all three companies (four if you include Roland) make very good digital pianos.

Originally Posted By: Fantality
What is the reasoning behind much higher demand for the first two mentioned and barely none for Yahama?

This is my personal opinion:

Yamaha is arguably the 'default' choice for individuals wishing to purchase a digital piano (indeed for many years the 'Clavinova' brand was almost synonymous with 'digital piano'). Many consumers will visit their local Yamaha dealer, ask the salesperson to demonstrate a few instruments, and likely purchase a digital piano there and then, without questioning the alternatives.

However, a growing number of consumers are using the internet to research their digital piano purchase, with forums such as PianoWorld an ideal place to ask questions and learn about important features. While Yamaha is still the the 'default' option for many initial forum visitors, their opinion may change after they have play-tested alternative brands. If the individual opts for a Casio, Kawai, or Roland after reading the forum, they're perhaps more likely to detail their purchase in the 'Prices Paid' thread.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2255757 - 04/02/14 03:05 AM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Scott Hamlin]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Hamlin
Mike and James. smile

...and now Jay too! wink

#2255758 - 04/02/14 03:07 AM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
But he`s sold loads of DGXs which are officially "keyboards" . .

...and half of those were to you Pete! wink

James
x

#2255785 - 04/02/14 05:25 AM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Kawai James]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

James
x

Did the dealer sell only 2 DGXs?
Or did Pete buy 200 DGXs?
smile

#2255838 - 04/02/14 09:03 AM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Kawai James]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA

This is my personal opinion:

Yamaha is arguably the 'default' choice for individuals wishing to purchase a digital piano (indeed for many years the 'Clavinova' brand was almost synonymous with 'digital piano'). Many consumers will visit their local Yamaha dealer, ask the salesperson to demonstrate a few instruments, and likely purchase a digital piano there and then, without questioning the alternatives.

However, a growing number of consumers are using the internet to research their digital piano purchase, with forums such as PianoWorld an ideal place to ask questions and learn about important features. While Yamaha is still the the 'default' option for many initial forum visitors, their opinion may change after they have play-tested alternative brands. If the individual opts for a Casio, Kawai, or Roland after reading the forum, they're perhaps more likely to detail their purchase in the 'Prices Paid' thread.

Kind regards,
James
x

I think this is pretty accurate. I started out looking for a DP at the local music stores and Yamaha was the most prevalent. It is mostly Casio and Yamaha in the big box stores. They carry some of the other brands but the stock selection is almost nil. So I've had Casio and Yamaha, then I found this forum smile

After coming here I've made an effort to find Kurzweil, Roland, and Kawai. And it is an effort to find and play all these instruments locally. I ended up with a Kawai MP10 and am beyond happy with it. I actually had to go to a piano store to find the Kawai. I originally did not think to look at piano stores, but it turns out they've had the best selection for digital pianos (not keyboards).

#2255868 - 04/02/14 10:58 AM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: doremi]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: doremi

James
x

Did the dealer sell only 2 DGXs?
Or did Pete buy 200 DGXs?
smile

I`ve had three. The 630 last year (used) and the 650 in Dec. from the local shop. The 620 I bought new (200 off RRP; fell off the back of a truck) from Rimmers in Bolton. . .

Rumour has it Kawai is collaborating with Yamaha to shoe-horn the CA 65 keybed into next DGX . . .

""

#2255894 - 04/02/14 12:22 PM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: peterws]
Lester Burnham Offline

I`ve had three. The 630 last year (used) and the 650 in Dec. from the local shop. The 620 I bought new (200 off RRP; fell off the back of a truck) from Rimmers in Bolton. . .

Rumour has it Kawai is collaborating with Yamaha to shoe-horn the CA 65 keybed into next DGX . . .

What sort of bargains are you seeing used?

I've bought from Rimmers both online and from one of their high-street stores, but have considered buying a slab / stage type digital piano on the used market. Problem is, they either seem quite overpriced, or quite ropey - or both.

So far, the mystical bargains on the used market haven't made themselves known to me.

#2255905 - 04/02/14 01:00 PM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Fantality]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
My personal feeling is that apart from the Avant Grand range, which is extremely nice but out of the price range of most people, there's little about the Yamaha home pianos to get people excited. Their technology and marketing seems to have stagnated a bit and really it seems like they're not really trying. They just release the same models every couple of years under different names.

I tested a CLP430 and it was underwhelming in every way. Even at full volume it was too quiet (over both speakers and headphones), which put me off more than anything else. The keyboard didn't feel that good, the sounds were meh, and the user interface looked like it was from the 1990s. Meanwhile, the equivalent Roland, the HP504, outclasses it in every way. Casio have made good actions and sounds at previously unattainable prices, and Kawai have differentiated themselves with their wooden keyboards, soundboards, and nicely designed stage pianos. I'm struggling to think what Yamaha do better!

#2255933 - 04/02/14 01:47 PM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Lester Burnham]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Lester Burnham

What sort of bargains are you seeing used?

I've bought from Rimmers both online and from one of their high-street stores, but have considered buying a slab / stage type digital piano on the used market. Problem is, they either seem quite overpriced, or quite ropey - or both.

So far, the mystical bargains on the used market haven't made themselves known to me.

If I was buying used, I`d go to Ebay and just sit and wait until THE piano came up, as they always do. CA95 for 1200 smackeroos? or a DP 15 (or was it a 10?) for 1600 . . .

Second hand Kawais seem to go for less than Yammies or Roland in UK. But I`d have to pay well over the odds for a P105 or even a DGX model, not to mention some of the older "wonderful cabinet" classics like the CLP611 and the 880. But they`re probably worth the money for the casing alone.

You don`t fare better with dealers in my opinion. My Local Jovial Guy was trying to sell a friend an old CLP250, short scaled Yamaha which had been "improved" by the previous owner. He`d wrecked it. And they sold an old Viscount (faulty) to my church. And expected me to play it . .

""

#2255978 - 04/02/14 02:57 PM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: Kawai James]
Michael Wright Offline

a growing number of consumers are using the internet to research their digital piano purchase
Kind regards,
James
x

I agree. Information has never been more accessible. Although I have to drive
quite a ways for alternate instruments, I can research and decide that easier. Yamaha has always been my go to instrument, but thanks to the internet, I have definitly branched out as far as purchases go.

#2256127 - 04/02/14 08:13 PM Re: Why do I see more Kawai and Casio than Yamaha?? [Re: lolatu]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lolatu
My personal feeling is that apart from the Avant Grand range, which is extremely nice but out of the price range of most people, there's little about the Yamaha home pianos to get people excited. Their technology and marketing seems to have stagnated a bit and really it seems like they're not really trying. They just release the same models every couple of years under different names.

I believe there is an element of truth in this, however the new CLP-5x5 instruments appear to be a considerable improvement over the previous generation models...albeit with some of the more interesting new features borrowed from other manufactures.

James
x

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New piano student
by IWG.
11/26/14 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
11/25/14 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
11/25/14 08:07 PM
Completely OT- mods please move if necessary
by PhilipInChina
11/25/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159357 Topics
2340884 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission