Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2253474 - 03/28/14 11:16 AM Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se
Gumbysgroove Offline

Loc: NJ , USA
Is anyone else a little (while not a bad thing)overwhelmed with all the different technical setting? I’ve played many different acoustic piano’s and have heard and am aware of the noise nuances, however have never paid much, if any attention.

Reminds me of trying to calibrate my fancy new TV.

This thread, if of interest to anyone, can be an informational resource for experts to exchange, share, and compare their “virtual technician” setting (maybe even specifying what piano their trying to emulate) and Novices can learn something and try some tested settings.

I myself have only choose three(3) settings which I see as somewhat of “all-round” setting to bring to the menu display knobs for quick adjustment. Which are Voicing, Topboard, and Brilliance

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2253579 - 03/28/14 03:57 PM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
lolatu Offline

Loc: UK
I have some good ones saved... but I can't tell you what they are because the CA95 software won't show me. frown

#2253631 - 03/28/14 05:34 PM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Joe Garfield Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I just got the mp10 and am in the same boat. It is a lot to mess with. I think I will try to minimize most of the effects as it seems to add extra 'white noise' and sounds less natural. However I am looking forward to some good discussion here and hopefully learning how to use it all to my advantage.

#2253665 - 03/28/14 07:24 PM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Joe Garfield Offline

One thing I am noticing is that the 'effects' sound a lot different through headphones! I was a little put off by the sounds I heard through the headphones, but out of my studio monitors this keyboard sounds incredible!! So far I have only used the stock settings, and played with the stereo width (and speaker location) but I am really, really happy.

#2255720 - 04/02/14 12:53 AM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Joe Garfield Offline

In playing with my MP10, I just came to realize how great the hammer delay effect is.

I was messing around with the pre-programmed/alternative voicings (12ft concert grand and baby grand in the Settings menu) and noticed that the pianos actually felt different. I looked through the settings and noticed the hammer delay was on 2 or 3 as opposed to 1 which is the standard setting. To experiment, I tried the stock Grand piano and changed only the hammer delay from 1 to 2.

With the slight change in hammer delay, the keys felt stiffer and I really started to notice the let-off effect. It reminded me a lot of the Steinway baby grand I take lessons on, and just like in lesson I missed a few notes due to playing too softly and getting caught on the escapement. Changing the setting back to 1 makes the action feel faster (and almost too fast on 0) and the let-off less noticeable.

Very, very cool! smile

Edited by Joe Garfield (04/02/14 12:54 AM)

#2255739 - 04/02/14 02:25 AM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Interesting stuff. wink

This is one of the VT parameters that tends to get overlooked (indeed, we don't currently explain it on the MP website - something which will be changed in future), but it clearly has an affect on how the instrument 'plays'.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2255809 - 04/02/14 07:32 AM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Interesting, I haven't fiddled with all of the VT options so I don't know what this one actually feels like to change. However, the MP11 manual describes it as affecting things only when playing pianissimo. Is this correct, or would it be noticeable for louder dynamics as well?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2255835 - 04/02/14 08:54 AM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Joe Garfield Offline

It is noticeable always. I think the feature is designed to benefit during pianissimo but I am not at the point to understand how or why. It basically is a lag between when the key/hammer strikes and when the note is played. The default setting is 1, and I would not use more than 3 for normal playing and probably really would just use 1 or 2 depending on if I wanted the 'heavier feel' or not.

I am sure a lot of the effect is perception but it really makes me feel like I have to work a little harder, which is always how I feel when I'm in lesson on the little grand.

#2257337 - 04/05/14 07:28 PM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Joe Garfield Offline

Does anyone know of a good users' forum for these pianos - for me, particularly the MP10? A search returns too much crap to sort through to find information from people actually using these pianos.

#2257387 - 04/05/14 09:53 PM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Joe Garfield]
puff Offline

Loc: oxford UK

Think there is one...its called....
Piano World!

#2257445 - 04/06/14 01:13 AM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Joe Garfield Offline

I meant thread, not forum.

#2308905 - 07/30/14 11:51 AM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Abby Pianoman Offline

Loc: Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
This thread and topic got off to a good start then stopped dead in it's tracks. 1262 views and 11 comments/suggestions. Such a pity!!

If 10% of all the viewers had input any kind of
suggestions the we would really be getting somewhere
with this board.

#2308910 - 07/30/14 12:04 PM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Gumbysgroove]
Abby Pianoman Offline

I tried incrementing the key letoff to 5 then back to 0 or off.
Then I tried some fast playing then some normal playing. Didn't notice any significant difference.
Am I doing something wrong?

#2309088 - 07/30/14 08:09 PM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Abby Pianoman]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Abby Pianoman
I tried incrementing the key letoff to 5 then back to 0 or off.
Then I tried some fast playing then some normal playing. Didn't notice any significant difference.
Am I doing something wrong?

Abby, 'key letoff' is not one of the available parameters on the MP11/MP7.
There's 'Key-off Effect', 'Key-off Noise', 'Key-off Delay'. The differences are explained in the owner's manual, however you can also listen to the audio examples on the MP11 website:

http://www.kawaimp.com/mp11/detail/sound/

Scroll down to 'SKILFUL VIRTUAL TECHNICIAN', click the different icons to select the VT parameter, then the 'Listen' button to hear an example of how it affects the sound of the instrument.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2309100 - 07/30/14 09:07 PM Re: Kawai MP11 plus CAxx - Virtual Technician - calibration/se [Re: Kawai James]
Abby Pianoman Offline

It does. Thanks James.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, aesop, 36251, 34 invisible), 1414 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156848 Topics
2304657 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hi Everyone
by JoyBug
08/21/14 10:02 PM
Do pianists care?
by Ed Foote
08/21/14 09:44 PM
Can we strengthen the fingers?
by rov
08/21/14 08:53 PM
Hello to Everyone and to PianoStudent88
by Gene Williams
08/21/14 08:23 PM
Is this Piano Purchase Tax deductible?
by master88er
08/21/14 08:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission