Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2255922 - 04/02/14 01:34 PM The Great Romantic Pedal Wash
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Note to Anonymous Pianists Playing On Solo Piano Compilation Albums: The sostenuto pedal is not a gas pedal. You do not need to drive your piano to make it go when playing pieces written after the early 1800s. Romantic music will come out even if you don't lead foot the piece from start to finish.

What's more, Schumann may have even intended some of those staccato marks. They might not be typos.

I know, I know. It's insane to even contemplate.

Next week we'll talk about how Not All Brahms Must Sound Schmaltzy. But only when you're ready. I don't want to rock your world too much too soon.
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2255927 - 04/02/14 01:38 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
How would I get through Beethoven without putting the pedal to the metal???

#2256013 - 04/02/14 03:50 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
prout Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Pedalling is a very interesting topic - one that, while the composer's wishes, if known, must be respected, is somewhat dependent on the quality of the piano. Larger pianos with a lot of resonance and natural sustain need less pedal to ensure a sostenuto line when needed. Sometimes, the only way to get any sound out of a POS is to pedal just about every note.

#2256042 - 04/02/14 04:38 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
The sostenuto pedal allows you to hold some notes even while you play others staccato. Learning to use the sostenuto pedal is a great exercise for learning how to use the sustain (damper) pedal properly, and enables a good pianist to use the latter sparingly.

If you press the sostenuto pedal before you play any notes, it will not make any difference in the sound of the piano, even if you hold it through the entire piece. There just is no point to doing that.

#2256045 - 04/02/14 04:54 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
Note to Anonymous Pianists Playing On Solo Piano Compilation Albums: The sostenuto pedal is not a gas pedal. You do not need to drive your piano to make it go when playing pieces written after the early 1800s. Romantic music will come out even if you don't lead foot the piece from start to finish.

What's more, Schumann may have even intended some of those staccato marks. They might not be typos.

Next week we'll talk about how Not All Brahms Must Sound Schmaltzy. But only when you're ready. I don't want to rock your world too much too soon.
This sounds like a rant from an angry teacher who just gave a lesson to some students who overused the pedal. Or maybe from a student who just got yelled at by their teacher for overusing the pedal.

The fact is, however, that the sustaining pedal(not the sostenuto pedal as stated) is and should be used extensively in Romantic music by all great pianists. Of course, one can overdo anything.

Edited by pianoloverus (04/02/14 04:57 PM)

#2256066 - 04/02/14 05:46 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
BDB Online   content

But given the difference between the pianos available to the romantic composers and the pianos of today, the damper pedal probably should not be used as much as indicated on the score.

#2256067 - 04/02/14 05:49 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: pianoloverus]
prout Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

This sounds like a rant from an angry teacher who just gave a lesson to some students who overused the pedal. Or maybe from a student who just got yelled at by their teacher for overusing the pedal.

The fact is, however, that the sustaining pedal(not the sostenuto pedal as stated) is and should be used extensively in Romantic music by all great pianists. Of course, one can overdo anything.

For me the issue is that the pianos of Chopin's day had much less sustain and resonance than our modern high tension pianos. Chopin could stick his foot on the damper pedal and leave it there for very long phrases without blurring the sound. If I follow the published pedalling for his works on my BB it is horrible. An example - Ballade Op.23, meas. 33 fioritura is marked as pedal throughout the measure. Too blurry.

#2256071 - 04/02/14 05:55 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Sostenuto is an odd duck. I find a lot of pianos on which it doesn't work correctly, and a lot that never had it in the first place. It was tried by some makers all the way back to the 1840's, but didn't become widely available until the early 20th. century. It seems like a good idea, but not really a marketplace success....

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2256079 - 04/02/14 06:00 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: JohnSprung]
prout Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JohnSprung
Sostenuto is an odd duck. I find a lot of pianos on which it doesn't work correctly, and a lot that never had it in the first place. It was tried by some makers all the way back to the 1840's, but didn't become widely available until the early 20th. century. It seems like a good idea, but not really a marketplace success....

I used to use it on pianos that didn't have enough bass sustain to use half-pedalling effectively. Now that I have a piano with good sustain, I don't use it anymore except when indicated in the score.

#2256083 - 04/02/14 06:03 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: prout]

Originally Posted By: prout

For me the issue is that the pianos of Chopin's day had much less sustain and resonance than our modern high tension pianos. Chopin could stick his foot on the damper pedal and leave it there for very long phrases without blurring the sound. If I follow the published pedalling for his works on my BB it is horrible. An example - Ballade Op.23, meas. 33 fioritura is marked as pedal throughout the measure. Too blurry.
Yes, but I don't think that changes anything I wrote. My guess is that much of Chopin's pedal indications will work quite well on modern pianos. At the least the should always be considered as a possibility.

Edited by pianoloverus (04/02/14 06:06 PM)

#2256095 - 04/02/14 06:25 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: pianoloverus]
prout Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Yes, but I don't think that changes anything I wrote. My guess is that much of Chopin's pedal indications will work quite well on modern pianos. At the least the should always be considered as a possibility.

I agree absolutely.

#2256102 - 04/02/14 06:41 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
1000 Post Club Member

D'oh, I meant the sustain pedal. I must have sostenuto pedal on the brain from having to use it elsewhere.
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2256112 - 04/02/14 07:13 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Any reason for this sudden (sort of) rant?

Good pedalling can mean using it everywhere, but still maintaining a clear sound. Gieseking was famous for his pedalling, but his sound is remarkably transparent.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2256167 - 04/02/14 10:34 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: Kuanpiano]
prout Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

Good pedalling can mean using it everywhere, but still maintaining a clear sound. Gieseking was famous for his pedalling, but his sound is remarkably transparent.

A truly great 'peddler' of music. wink

#2256176 - 04/02/14 11:43 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: Kuanpiano]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC

[...]

I, too, am wondering what prompted this.

Regards,

#2256254 - 04/03/14 08:51 AM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
doctor S Offline

Loc: Western PA
My teachers recommended little or no pedalling in baroque or classical works ("finger-pedalling"), sparse pedalling in Schubert, only enough in Brahms, and even in Debussy/Ravel, economic pedalling and avoiding smearing of harmonies. My "new" instrument however, has a weak treble (no sympathetic strings...they are all damped), and I found that the high treble sounds best with the pedal down (even though there are no dampers there!). So I may have added more pedal lately than I ever have before. Others on this site have warned that some digitals seem to invite over-pedalling (perhaps because of the limited sustain??). So give a break for those not practicing what they preach...today

#2256255 - 04/03/14 08:54 AM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
I didn't read it as a rant at all. I've had the same reaction after listening to pianists who (though much better than me) rely too much on the sustain pedal.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2256294 - 04/03/14 11:15 AM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
WellTemperedPizza Offline

Loc: London, UK
The sostenuto pedal is not a gas pedal.

If only...

#2256307 - 04/03/14 12:01 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: WellTemperedPizza]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: WellTemperedPizza

If only...

What.....how do you even find something like that?? I just keep staring at it

#2256309 - 04/03/14 12:05 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
prout Online   content
500 Post Club Member

That is so cool. The only thing is he doesn't die, which is one solution for those who put the pedal to the metal on a piano.

#2256335 - 04/03/14 01:07 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Looks like modded GTA5.

#2256339 - 04/03/14 01:09 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: prout]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Sometimes, the only way to get any sound out of a POS is to pedal just about every note.

My friend has one of these pianos. Nailing the pedal to the floor ALMOST gets it to hold a note. Playing a Chopin nocturne is impossible. I'll stick to Bach on that piano.

#2256388 - 04/03/14 02:47 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California

.... But the damper pedal is maybe a little bit like the clutch pedal on a stick shift car: The skill and finesse is more in how you let them up than in how you push them down, right?

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2256391 - 04/03/14 02:58 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: JohnSprung]
prout Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JohnSprung

.... But the damper pedal is maybe a little bit like the clutch pedal on a stick shift car: The skill and finesse is more in how you let them up than in how you push them down, right?

Well said.

#2256519 - 04/03/14 09:12 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: BruceD]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

[...]

I, too, am wondering what prompted this.

Regards,

LOL, I guess it does seem a little on the hysterical side for me.

Sorry.

It was a frustrating commute to work. I usually listen to music on my way in (surprise, surprise!) and I had searched for a Schumann piece on my streaming service before I started driving. Unfortunately, because traffic was frustratingly bad I then had almost zero opportunity to safely adjust anything so I ended up hearing almost 20 versions of the same piece right in a row, and it just felt like everybody was overpedaling the whole thing and it was just a big ol' overwrought, sappy affair.

I got to work annoyed and a wee bit frustrated, haha.

I'm over it now, lol.

#2256545 - 04/03/14 10:10 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]

It was a frustrating commute to work. I usually listen to music on my way in (surprise, surprise!) and I had searched for a Schumann piece on my streaming service before I started driving. Unfortunately, because traffic was frustratingly bad I then had almost zero opportunity to safely adjust anything so I ended up hearing almost 20 versions of the same piece right in a row, and it just felt like everybody was overpedaling the whole thing and it was just a big ol' overwrought, sappy affair.
If you were listening to professional recordings it is quite unlikely that most everybody, if even any of the pianists, were over pedaling.

What was the piece?

Edited by pianoloverus (04/03/14 10:11 PM)

#2256596 - 04/04/14 12:20 AM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: pianoloverus]
BDB Online   content

If you were listening to professional recordings it is quite unlikely that most everybody, if even any of the pianists, were over pedaling.

What was the piece?

You have a higher opinion of professional pianists than I do. I recall being terribly disturbed by Rudolf Serkin pedaling through the staccato notes in Schubert's D. 960 Sonata.

#2256879 - 04/04/14 06:40 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: WellTemperedPizza]
BWV846 Offline

Loc: New York, New York
Well Tempered Pizza,
What I really love are the skid marks...
Are those clips from the Grand(Piano)TheftAuto videogame???
Thanks for the laughs.

Edited by BWV846 (04/04/14 06:42 PM)

"If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment."

#2256932 - 04/04/14 08:54 PM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: BWV846]
WellTemperedPizza Offline

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: BWV846
Well Tempered Pizza,
What I really love are the skid marks...
Are those clips from the Grand(Piano)TheftAuto videogame???
Thanks for the laughs.

You're welcome! Yes, they're from a mod for GTAIV.

#2258480 - 04/08/14 02:58 AM Re: The Great Romantic Pedal Wash [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
ScriabinAddict Offline

IMO Perfect amount of pedal:

Currently attempting to ween myself off of it.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1682 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158401 Topics
2326120 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission