Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2256016 - 04/02/14 03:51 PM Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions?
PNO40 Offline

Loc: A North Atlantic Island former...
I have an upright piano in a small closed room. I always play it with the top lid propped open (around 35 degrees) to avoid suffocating the sound. Though the sound is wonderful with the top front panel removed, that leaves the piano both very loud, and very impractical (no support for fallboard or built-in music 'desk').

A recent discussion here on PW mentioned early 20th century uprights with in-built 'grilles' on the top panel in order to release the sound, and a number of newer uprights have built-in 'port holes' to improve the quality of the sound. And this got me thinking: why not see if I could get such a panel made or customised for my own upright?

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might best go about this? I have no intention of altering the panel I have already, so should I be scouring around for old piano graveyards looking to salvage a panel, and perhaps have a cabinet maker customise it? Or should I explore commissioning one to my specifications? If the latter, is there any good advice as to what the best design for such a panel might be: 'grilles', 'grids', 'portholes', and if so where precisely (e.g. treble end, centre, some mix etc)?

As this is still at best a half-baked thought, any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be welcome.

With thanks in advance,

P.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2256026 - 04/02/14 04:05 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN

Here's an idea.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2256036 - 04/02/14 04:18 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
PNO40 Offline

Thanks Marty. I've filed that one away as a candidate design.

P.

#2256039 - 04/02/14 04:30 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Have you tried taking the bottom front panel out?

#2256040 - 04/02/14 04:36 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: Withindale]
PNO40 Offline

Originally Posted By: Withindale
Have you tried taking the bottom front panel out?

Nope. Not yet anyway. I never thought of it because one of the problems with the room is that it is too reflective and the overall sound gets muddy, hence the idea of getting some direct sound to the player via an open top panel.

Still, I'll give it a try this weekend when I get back home. All grist to the mill! Thanks.

P.

#2256086 - 04/02/14 06:07 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
What does the front of your upright look like (or what model)? Some suggestions will be more appropriate than others depending on what you are starting with.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2256205 - 04/03/14 04:12 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
Jean Claude Offline

Loc: France

Reading this, I couldn't help wondering if there might be an advantage to building in a 'tuned' bass
porte (?sp.) into an upright.

#2256235 - 04/03/14 07:34 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
PNO40 Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
What does the front of your upright look like (or what model)? Some suggestions will be more appropriate than others depending on what you are starting with.

Here's a link to a photo of the precise model. For what it is worth, there is already a 'port' on the lower panel, i.e. the lower panel does not fully 'close' the piano, but leaves gap of around 4 inches (10 cm) between the top of the panel and the bottom of the keybed.

#2256244 - 04/03/14 08:13 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
A couple of points to consider about the lower panel. It's significantly larger than the top one. The pinblock reduces the area of soundboard behind the top panel and the action may absorb some of the sound. Some experimentation needed to establish what works best for the pianist, unless that's already been done and results disseminated.

#2256253 - 04/03/14 08:50 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: Jean Claude]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jean Claude

Reading this, I couldn't help wondering if there might be an advantage to building in a 'tuned' bass

There "MIGHT" be, it depends what you want.
PIE_ANNA or "speaker box" ?

i.e. it WOULD change it - perhaps for the better, perhaps not.
{SO Subjective}

#2256299 - 04/03/14 11:34 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: Jean Claude]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland

The short answer is no. Even if it was an advantage it wouldn't be practical. A ported box is a single hole (sometimes a slot or series of holes) in an otherwise airtight box. You would also have to figure out the Thiele-Small parameters of the soundboard and then jigger the size of the whole piano to suit the tuning frequency.

Kurt

#2256465 - 04/03/14 06:31 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: R_B]
Jean Claude Offline

Originally Posted By: R_B

I am rather at a loss to understand this comment. If it were possible to improve the tone of an upright by a small modification of this sort (and I freely admit that I have no clue whether it might be possible) I can't really see what the objection would be. The case of an upright already works, at least up to a point, as a 'speaker box'; what is the problem with trying to make it work a little better?

Talking of speaker boxes, I couldn't help being reminded of my parents' old radiogram when I saw the picture of the Baldwin that Marty so kindly supplied.

#2256472 - 04/03/14 06:48 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
2000 Post Club Member

With a vertical front panel, there aren't many variations to design around beyond designing the holes themselves. The style in the Baldwin is attractive and possible as a modification. Another would be to port the bottom of the front panel (to be hidden by the fallboard). Yamaha has a design I like in their YU-series where the make the panel 3 pieces and discretely hide the ports in the joints. I'll see if I have photos.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#2256474 - 04/03/14 06:54 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
2000 Post Club Member

Yamaha YU1

Looking at the front panel joint/holes...

I very much like this design, though I think it would be difficult to fabricate.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#2256533 - 04/03/14 09:45 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: Jean Claude]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland

I am rather at a loss to understand this comment. If it were possible to improve the tone of an upright by a small modification of this sort (and I freely admit that I have no clue whether it might be possible) I can't really see what the objection would be. The case of an upright already works, at least up to a point, as a 'speaker box'; what is the problem with trying to make it work a little better?

Talking of speaker boxes, I couldn't help being reminded of my parents' old radiogram when I saw the picture of the Baldwin that Marty so kindly supplied.

I want to clarify here that I don't care what kind of holes people put in their pianos. My own Pramberger has a great big one behind the desk. If you like, as someone else here has done, you can even use port as a verb to mean cutting a whole in your piano. What *I* meant is that what ever hole or port you put in there, it's not going to turn it into a tuned reflex cabinet.

Kurt

#2258333 - 04/07/14 06:48 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
PNO40 Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
Yamaha YU1

Looking at the front panel joint/holes...

I very much like this design, though I think it would be difficult to fabricate.

Many thanks for this. It's another interesting design. Do you know what kind of difference it makes? Is there some kind of science or art behind these different designs or is it mostly a case of "put some holes in it to let some noise out, but don't make them ugly"? And yes, I agree this could be something of a challenge for a cabinet maker, but grist to the mill and all that ...

P.

#2258336 - 04/07/14 06:57 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Ive seen some big uprights where the centre of the top board swivels inwards like a trap door. Looks odd to me mind but some might like it.

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2258338 - 04/07/14 07:12 PM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
Jean Claude Offline

These are old player pianos with the player mechanism removed.

#2258450 - 04/08/14 12:35 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
David Germino Offline

PNO40,

Here is a cool way you might achieve better tonal release from a vertical. This design also brings the music desk higher, away from playing fingers. Creating greater separation from the sheet music and ones hands as found on a grand piano makes for a more intelligent design.

www.davespianoshowroom.com

#2258454 - 04/08/14 12:53 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: PNO40]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
But if you are raising the music desk that much, it would be better to put the grille under it, so you can write against the desk.

#2258459 - 04/08/14 01:04 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: BDB]
David Germino Offline

Good point.
www.davespianoshowroom.com

#2258463 - 04/08/14 01:09 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Here's an idea.

Good to see those are still around. You have no idea how difficult it was to get those six slots in the front pane. But what a difference it made in how the pianos sounded!

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2258502 - 04/08/14 04:40 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: Del]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Del
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Here's an idea.

Good to see those are still around. You have no idea how difficult it was to get those six slots in the front pane. But what a difference it made in how the pianos sounded!

ddf

Does that mean that the owner of that particular upright has a special one? He bought it for almost nothing..

#2258515 - 04/08/14 07:07 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: Jean Claude]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

The "point" was that you had used the term "tuned", which implied to me that you were considering reinforcing (or suppressing) some frequency or frequency band.
THAT could convert it from what most of us would regard as a piano to a speaker box.
Again, it MIGHT be "better" or it might be "worse" it would almost certainly be "different".

Tuned port speaker boxes are DESIGNED around the speaker with knowledge of things like its resonant frequency - I doubt that you have such data for your piano's sound board.
The dimensions of the piano cabinet are FIXED, whatever the characteristics of the soundboard are you are limited to the existing cabinet.
Maybe this reduces to "Can't get there from here" ?
The choice is yours, but personally I wouldn't try it.

#2258637 - 04/08/14 11:38 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: David Germino]
PNO40 Offline

Originally Posted By: David Germino
PNO40,

Here is a cool way you might achieve better tonal release from a vertical. This design also brings the music desk higher, away from playing fingers. Creating greater separation from the sheet music and ones hands as found on a grand piano makes for a more intelligent design.

David,

Yes, that's a pretty original and even stylish design. What's the grid/grille made of? It looks like aluminium or steel and I wonder if it has been vetted for unwanted sympathetic resonance. There are some great ideas coming here, so many thanks to all who have taken the time and effort to contribute and post these photos. I'm already much the wiser.

P.

#2258642 - 04/08/14 11:44 AM Re: Customised Top Front Panel for Upright Piano: Suggestions? [Re: Del]
PNO40 Offline

Originally Posted By: Del

ddf

Del,

What kind of difference did/do the slots make? Increased clarity all round? More direct sound to the player? 'De-boxing' the whole piano sound?

And may I ask what the science/art was in choosing that particular design over other potential designs? Is there a logic, for example, to placement or shape of the hole/port? Or is it just a matter of trying to put holes in the board that won't scare away a potential customer? I'm curious, especially given your remark about how difficult it was to get this design to fly. (I suspect you are referring here to the difficulty of persuading the marketing people.)

P.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
09/18/14 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
09/18/14 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
09/18/14 02:33 PM
Who's Online
122 registered (aesop, ando, albumblatter, 36251, anotherscott, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1198 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157609 Topics
2315081 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission