Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2256031 - 04/02/14 04:07 PM New website :) Comments?
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
...yes, shameless self-promotion again, but I had a friend make a new website for me, welcome to have a look! Any feedback is very welcome.

http://www.martinmalmgren.com/

Edited by fnork (04/02/14 04:58 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2256032 - 04/02/14 04:09 PM Re: New website :) [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

...it's still being updated, and more recordings should be up in a not too distant future, I hope...Basically the design will be the same (in the nearest future at least) but a whole bunch of things will be added to the site as time allows. Im already told there are a bunch of spelling mistakes, gah..

Edited by fnork (04/02/14 05:02 PM)

#2256051 - 04/02/14 05:05 PM Re: New website :) [Re: fnork]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
The jury quote at the top of the page must be one of the most sensationally positive single sentences ever written about a pianist. And well deserved, I'm sure.

I know nothing about web design, but I found it strange that the photo used on the home page seemed so blurred.

#2256053 - 04/02/14 05:07 PM Re: New website :) [Re: fnork]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I can't help with the spelling mistakes. Polyphonist will tell you why! grin

But, the one suggestion I'd have would be to add the individual audio tracks, from soundcloud straight into the website. To find a way to 'embed' them in a way... hope this makes sense.

The rest looks very nice. Congratulations!

#2256060 - 04/02/14 05:29 PM Re: New website :) [Re: Nikolas]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
But, the one suggestion I'd have would be to add the individual audio tracks, from soundcloud straight into the website. To find a way to 'embed' them in a way... hope this makes sense.

How funny, this is one of those things that I'm looking into now (or rather, my friend who is doing the webpage is the one looking into it...), but its apparently one of those things that take a bit more time to fix, and I wanted the page up as soon as possible, for various reasons. It's coming, but might take a week or two until me and my friend find time to work on that smile

#2256065 - 04/02/14 05:42 PM Re: New website :) [Re: fnork]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
There's always time! I'm glad that we agree on this.

Yes, the picture is a bit blurry and it's something I noticed in your older website. There's nothing wrong with using a nice photo! smile

#2256074 - 04/02/14 05:56 PM Re: New website :) [Re: fnork]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: fnork
Originally Posted By: Nikolas

How funny, this is one of those things that I'm looking into now (or rather, my friend who is doing the webpage is the one looking into it...), but its apparently one of those things that take a bit more time to fix, and I wanted the page up as soon as possible, for various reasons. It's coming, but might take a week or two until me and my friend find time to work on that smile

Can't tell if you're using a build that allows widgets, but even if you're not, you're linking to soundcloud. Most storage sites offer embed codes for their stored media, meaning you can leave the files in soundcloud, and simply embed the mp3 file in your site.

Check out this help section from soundcloud to see how to do it with their service: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/port...-and-playlists-

#2256076 - 04/02/14 05:56 PM Re: New website :) [Re: fnork]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Looks great!

Typo/error in the bio: You want "As *a* versatile musician..." (The rest looked fine.)

-Jason

#2256111 - 04/02/14 07:13 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Shameless self promotion is fine - particularly when you have the musical and technical chops to back it up. Very impressive Martin !!!!! thumb

#2256144 - 04/02/14 09:14 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
hreichgott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Embedding from Soundcloud takes like 30 seconds. Lucky you smile
1. Go to the recording's soundcloud page
2. Click Share
3. Click Embed
4. Copy and paste the code to your site (tweak options if you want)
you're done smile
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2256188 - 04/03/14 01:14 AM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: carey]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Congratulations!
And yes, it looks good! smile

And yes, it helps that....
Originally Posted By: carey
....you have the musical and technical chops to back it up. Very impressive Martin !!!!! thumb

#2256327 - 04/03/14 12:47 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
BrainCramp Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Martin,

I suggest you NOT put your email address on the "Contact" page. You'll be swamped with spam.

Spammers use automated software that scans websites for email addresses and picks them up. Then they use those addresses and/or sell them to other spammers.

Instead, I'd use a contact form on the "Contact" page. The person fills in the form with their information and message, and the form-handling utility then sends you an email message with the form's contents. No one can discover or see your email address.

The utility I'm familiar with is called FormMail. It's public script code. Here's a link to information on how your web manager can implement it:

http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html

Hope this helps.
BrainCramp

#2256686 - 04/04/14 08:25 AM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks all for the kind words! Regarding spams - I never had a problem with this with my previous website, actually, and gmail seems to do a decent job with detecting spam anyway. But I'll keep it in mind smile

#2256738 - 04/04/14 11:19 AM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Regarding spam: a simple trick that's used been used by university professors for 15 years: write the email address in such a way that a human could read it, but the actual address doesn't appear, and so it can't be picked up by web crawlers.

For instance,

"martin dot malmgren at gmail dot com" or
"<my first_name . my last_name>@gmail.com"

-J

#2256776 - 04/04/14 01:24 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: beet31425]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Old trick and the "harvesters" have been wise to it for a very long time.

Originally Posted By: beet31425
Regarding spam: a simple trick that's used been used by university professors for 15 years: write the email address in such a way that a human could read it, but the actual address doesn't appear, and so it can't be picked up by web crawlers.

For instance,

-J

#2256786 - 04/04/14 02:23 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: R_B]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: R_B
Old trick and the "harvesters" have been wise to it for a very long time.

Originally Posted By: beet31425

For instance,

-J

Yes, they might get the first example I gave, but probably not the second. It can't be too hard to thwart them though; it's not like the spammers have very sophisticated machine learning / pattern recognition algorithms.

You can also always use an image of your email address.

#2256793 - 04/04/14 02:44 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

They do get it. And I'm sure these are the SIMPLE cases.

I used to have a picture with my email in it, I thought that was safer.

Until a colleague showed me he had made a OCR tool with free available tools, that could rip this kind of texts out of pictures frown (edit: that was 4 years ago)

Edited by wouter79 (04/04/14 02:46 PM)

#2258009 - 04/07/14 06:33 AM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I appreciate these comments, everyone! However, I haven't noticed any difference in amount of spam since I put up my previous webpage, and unless something drastically changes, I don't see much of a reason to bother with deleting the email adress...

#2258660 - 04/08/14 12:27 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
suniil Offline

Loc: London
I've to agree with pianoloverus regarding the quotes, which should be the highlight and key message.

Latest web design trend is to push the visual content to home page and takes priority over anything else.

And finally but most important, how Google is seeing and value your content. Google is not a 'string' search but more a 'thing' search!

#2259408 - 04/09/14 11:06 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: BrainCramp]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: BrainCramp
Hi Martin,

I suggest you NOT put your email address on the "Contact" page. You'll be swamped with spam.

Spammers use automated software that scans websites for email addresses and picks them up. Then they use those addresses and/or sell them to other spammers.

Instead, I'd use a contact form on the "Contact" page. The person fills in the form with their information and message, and the form-handling utility then sends you an email message with the form's contents. No one can discover or see your email address.

The utility I'm familiar with is called FormMail. It's public script code. Here's a link to information on how your web manager can implement it:

http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html

Hope this helps.
BrainCramp

I recommend this too. Nice site, by the way! smile

#2289997 - 06/15/14 06:23 AM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Some updates have been made, for anyone that is interested! A media player, so far with various snippets of concerti performances, and a few other things. More coming soon, let me know what you think!

http://www.martinmalmgren.com

#2290045 - 06/15/14 10:53 AM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
Michael Sayers Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
Hi Martin, I like that the repertoire list is focused for conductors. I've never been sure what to make of the long lists displayed by some pianists of truly solo repertoire which hardly can be considered exclusive in the same way and doesn't necessarily say much about the pianist. The videos and audio on the other hand do say much - I am listening to the Hammerklavier fugue now smile

And the photos are good (your hair is almost as long as mine!) with the background one I think being a bit blurred in order to be more seamless with the text at the top of the page which is blurred a bit as well.

The only thing I can think of as an objective improvement might be to not have the contact tab unless more than one line of contact info. will be there. Yet I'm not sure where else the email address would go best. And it may be a convenience for some persons if they are able to just copy and past the email address as it is.

Maybe a guestbook is a possibility - some persons like to fill those in.

Your friend who is doing the website is a good friend to have!

#2290743 - 06/16/14 09:33 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Michael, thanks a lot for the interesting comment! Someone else did mention that I *should* have my solo rep list up as well, but I'm also not convinced that it is all that meaningful. Though the webpage is fairly new, I actually did receive a phone-call once from an orchestra asking me to step in for another soloist on a short notice with a concerto that was on my rep list. The fact that it was there, clearly visible on the webpage, was one reason they called me. Didn't get the gig in the end, but the point is that I don't see how a solo rep list could have a similar effect at all.

Indeed, I should fill out the contact tab with something more soon! Am without permanent adress at the moment and am just moving into a new place - quite possibly I'd put up my phone number and adress after that.

Indeed my friend is a good one, and doesn't take an awful lot of money for the work he is doing! wink

#2293127 - 06/21/14 06:26 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A good deal of audio has been added to the media player at the bottom of the page, plus more contact info - perhaps better that way.

For anyone that cares to have a look - is the media player at the bottom of the page prominent enough where it is? Or is there a risk one might miss it completely? I tried having it on the very top of the page, but that looked uglier...

#2293132 - 06/21/14 06:43 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Maybe you should have it autoplay?

#2293147 - 06/21/14 07:42 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

PLEASE don't make it autoplay! I don't know about anybody else, but I don't like when websites just start playing music, even when it's music I like.

I don't know how website savvy you are, but perhaps there's a way, on initial page load, to highlight the player or indicate its position/existence and then fade out to normal prominence at the bottom of the page.

Anything but the dreaded auto play.

But, to be fair, it has NOT stopped me from going to artist websites who have auto play. I just mute my computer before navigating there and then unmute if there's something I specifically want to hear.

I do see your player at the bottom, though, and I would have noticed it, I'm fairly sure, even if I hadn't been prepped to look for it.

(Edited to add: and yes, I would have pushed play. In fact, I just did and am listening to your Ravel cadenza--lovely! It's not that I don't want to hear the music, I just want to be the one to push play.)

Edited by TwoSnowflakes (06/21/14 07:46 PM)
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2293165 - 06/21/14 08:31 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
1000 Post Club Member

I have another website comment. Your header image, while awesome in all the ways it should be (fantastically big piano, and fantastically big hair), is quite tall top to bottom, and then your main content area is quite narrow, which means that there's almost an immediate need to scroll down.

This isn't terrible, or anything, but it makes everything seem a little too spread out, at least for me.

Maybe pull up your main background image, so that the lid of the piano can be ghosted a bit behind the top navigation bar, and then your content starts coming in a lot higher.

Here's what I see when I go to your page:

Here's a mockup of what I would see if the image were nudged higher. I know it doesn't seem like much (and there's room to play with it if you think it's too cramped up top), but it's more than twice as much information before I have to scroll:

With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2293169 - 06/21/14 08:35 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
1000 Post Club Member

Another option would be a two column format on a wider center content section. No time to mock that up right now, sorry!

#2293173 - 06/21/14 08:43 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
On the Biography, I would break up the initial long paragraph. At least a paragraph break before "in March 2014".

On my iPhone, the photograph is cut off on the left and right, so on the left I only see your hands and feet, and on the right I don't see the quote.

The site does make me want to listen to your playing, and to find something better than my iPhone to listen on.

#2293410 - 06/22/14 01:09 PM Re: New website :) Comments? [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks a lot for the feedback! How wonderful, to just put up your site on display like this in its early stages, and get comments on what to improve smile I also have the feeling the picture eventually feels like taking up too much space. The solution might be to have it this way for the entry page, but that once you click further, the text area could perhaps get wider, higher up, and thus cover the picture. I'll ask my friend what's best to do.

I also have the feeling that auto-play is a huge no-no. I usually dislike when websites have functions like that, with some exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (36251, Alpiano, amv256, ando, 36 invisible), 1753 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75920 Members
42 Forums
156886 Topics
2305198 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
YAMAHA SILENT PIANO HQ 300 SX - Information please!
by ernani
Today at 10:52 AM
CA95 and HP-508
by Alpiano
Today at 09:47 AM
Help - kawai rx2-c conservatory limited edition
by KungPaoPanda
Today at 08:53 AM
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
Today at 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase – a few questions
by bigun
Today at 02:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission