2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Dear all,
I'm still playing on my GEM (General Music) RP2 DP since 2000.
I think for that time period it was a real masterpiece, even with string resonance and escapement, but I really don't like the keyboard action, for me it is much too stiff.
In 2008 I lost in an accident my left index finger, and now I have to work harder with that hand and compensate that missing finger so I like the keyboard action soft and smooth.
Last week, was in local shop and played the new ROLAND HP 506 and HP 508. Keyboard action seems perfect for me. For me most natural piano sound is a priority and that sound was really good using my AKG headphone. Without headphone sound op HP 508 was way better than the HP506, but price was much higher too. But to be honest, most of the time, I'm using my headphone ... So maybe the speaker sound of the actual DP is less important. Side by side I played a YAM CLP420 (I think) and was quite dissapointed by the sound. Just playing a C2 and listening ... Roland had much richer sound ...
But ... I found a forum and read some test and I'm really charmed by the KAWAI CA65 (and CA95) and CS7 (and CS10). I like a nice piece of furniture but it is not that important. Knowing that I uses most of the time my headphone, I think the choice will be between a ROLAND HP506 and KAWAI CA65.
What are your thoughts about ... ? Thank you so much.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Take the one for which action and sound feels better to your ear. It's like comparing blondes to brunettes. I prefer the later, but dozens of mans the first ones wink

They are the same classical pianos, just made to differnt tastes.

S
S
You can also consider to take the one that has the best action and the best audio system for you. Don't worry to much about the sound. You can plug in a Synthogy or a VI Labs or a Pianoteq and have the best existing sounds under your fingers. Go for the best action an sound amplification.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you're mainly using headphones then consider the Roland HP504 as well. That's probably the model that I would go for in your situation. It has a very nice, light keyboard action, and the same SuperNATURAL piano sounds as the rest of the range.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
It's OK to put the review and forum suggestions on your list to test and play, but the final choice has to be yours after your own testing and playing. You liked the 506, try out the CA65 95 or CS10 just because. If considering a CS10 why not the LX15e? (PS I'm a member of the 9 digits club too, and key action or feel is top of my list).

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Spanishbudda, what is 9 digit club?

OP Offline
Hahaha, 9 digits club, never heard that. Have to remember it. :-)
I have to find indeed some time to test the Kawais... Unfortunately it's not the same shop as the Yams and Rolands...

OP Offline
I lost my left index finger... So only 9 digits left... :-)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thought he was referring to his salary shocked

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by stamkorg
You can also consider to take the one that has the best action and the best audio system for you. Don't worry to much about the sound. You can plug in a Synthogy or a VI Labs or a Pianoteq and have the best existing sounds under your fingers. Go for the best action an sound amplification.

I don't think this is such great advice. First of all, are you sure you can get the action to calibrate perfectly with 3rd party software? Furthermore, why not just get a controller and speakers? Also, are you sure a multichannel system like those found in the Roland is going to process a stereo signal the same way it does with the SN pianos?

There are also plenty of people who prefer the SN engine or Kawai's samples to what is available through software.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 04/02/14 01:53 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
OP Offline
Don't think that I will install a pc to my piano in the living room using software piano's... Second step is indeed to install another DP in my office with just good action (I like the action of the casio px350 fi) and eventually connect it with my pc for SW Piano's... But for now most important is the one in the living room... Or do you think my GEM RP2 is still to good to change?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The Kawai MP11 is basically the same as the CA65 without the console and speakers. The MP10 is the previous version that is just being replaced - which I just got and love. The MP7 is basically the same but with plastic keys as opposed to the heavier wood keys. Check them both out.

The MP7 is $1800 and in my opinion is the best instrument for the money there is.

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 04/02/14 06:09 PM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by kuku1970
Or do you think my GEM RP2 is still to good to change?

Out of curiosity, is this based on the same engine as the RPX module? That is, 100% physical modelling, including a Steinway and a Fazioli emulation?

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
First off, kuku1970 and spanishbuddha, I cannot imagine what it must be like to play with 9 fingers. However, the fact that individuals such as yourselves are able to overcome physical disadvantages to express their passion for music is very inspiring.

Regarding this point:

Originally Posted by kuku1970
I have to find indeed some time to test the Kawais... Unfortunately it's not the same shop as the Yams and Rolands...

I would recommend visiting a Maene store - http://www.maene.be - I believe they stock instruments from Roland, Yamaha, and Kawai.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
First off kuku1970 and spanishbuddha, I cannot imagine what it must be like to play with 9 fingers. However, the fact that individuals such as yourselves are able to overcome physical disadvantages to express their passion for music is very inspiring.

+1 kuddos to both of you and any others who are pianists with extra challenges - I have a hard enough time with all my fingers! But like I tell my students, do the best with what you've got.

As for what works, it doesn't sound like great advice, but you really have to test out the pianos for yourself to determine what works best. Some people can know in a few chords if they like the feel and others it takes a while, so keep that in mind too, that you may need a few tries at an instrument before really getting a feel for it. I love the Kawai, but there are those who find the action too heavy. Do try it though, if you can.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
Originally Posted by Hideki Matsui

I don't think this is such great advice. First of all, are you sure you can get the action to calibrate perfectly with 3rd party software? Furthermore, why not just get a controller and speakers? Also, are you sure a multichannel system like those found in the Roland is going to process a stereo signal the same way it does with the SN pianos?

There are also plenty of people who prefer the SN engine or Kawai's samples to what is available through software.

For calibration, at least with Pianoteq, YES you can calibrate the velocity curve very precisely. There is also a calibration tool for that purpose.
For the controller + speakers question, I would't use this kind of stuf in my room because it is ugly.
Now, for the multichannel system, you are right, I don't know if a stereo in signal will be well amplified, but at my home I use Pianoteq on my HP-507 and honeslty it sounds very good. Most of time I use the Pianoteq instead of the internal Roland sounds. I am not saying that the Roland sounds bad, not at all, but to my ears, the Pianoteq is superior. This way, you can have the best of both worlds under your fingers.

C
C
¿HP 506 vs CA-65? That's a really tough choice.

I tried a few days ago a HP-506 in a store and I could compare it side by side to it's predecessor, the HP-505. I found the new action inside the HP-506 even smoother that the older one. I think it's a very smooth and easy action to play. But the wooden action of the CA-65 is simply terrific.

Almost three years ago I bought the two generations earlier model, the HP-305. But if I'd have to buy now a DP, I don't know which one would I decide for, but I probably would buy the CA-65 because of the wooden action and the heavier touch (as long as I usually play on an acoustic grand and I find it really heavy after playing on the HP-305 for a while). Just personal circumstances and taste, I guess.

An in person look and try cannot be substituted by any advice but as long as you asked for opinions, I think that if you are looking specifically for a comfortable action, the HP-506 would be my choice in that case as long as the sound is reasonably good on both models (with their differences, of course).

BTW, Byron Janis cannot play with one of his fingers since an accident happened during his childhood (he cut with a glass and lost mobility). Despite of this he overcame this difficulty and become one of the greatest pianists on history.

kuku1970, @spanishbuda, I really admire an respect infinitely your courage.

Last edited by CarloPiano; 04/03/14 04:57 AM. Reason: added info
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Hideki Matsui

For calibration, at least with Pianoteq, YES you can calibrate the velocity curve very precisely. There is also a calibration tool for that purpose.
For the controller + speakers question, I would't use this kind of stuf in my room because it is ugly.
Now, for the multichannel system, you are right, I don't know if a stereo in signal will be well amplified, but at my home I use Pianoteq on my HP-507 and honeslty it sounds very good. Most of time I use the Pianoteq instead of the internal Roland sounds. I am not saying that the Roland sounds bad, not at all, but to my ears, the Pianoteq is superior. This way, you can have the best of both worlds under your fingers.

Ok, you and I differ on this because I think Pianoteq sounds pretty horrible compared to the LX-15e piano sounds and the internal speaker system does not project 3rd party software the same way it does with the SN engine. Also, I haven't had much success calibrating velocity curves to achieve the same precision and dynamics I get with the SN engine.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
OP Offline
Don't know. I read the sound is generated using 12 oscillators...
But I do only have a 'concert grand' preset as AC.

M
M
Regarding playing with additional challenges:
We musical instrument players are finger athletes, for sure.
And I am reminded of Django Reinhardt. Guitarist. Legend. Created a style, genre, and had to invent his own chords because of a super severe problem with his fretting hand. Read about him. Read about how he was missing fingers.
Incredible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission