Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
144 registered (36251, Alkanaut, anotherscott, anamnesis, accordeur, Anita Potter, 42 invisible), 1743 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2256811 - 04/04/14 03:48 PM What made your favourite piano teacher your . . . favourite!
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
The topic came up about getting excited about playing the piano. That idea usually comes from something or someone. I'm guessing "someone"! So thought it would be inspiring and interesting for us piano teachers to think back and hear stories of what made your "favourite piano teacher" your favourite.!

So I'll start, but you have to promise to chime in here and share your favourite teacher! stories!

So I had two favourite piano teachers actually; one was classical and the other one was my jazz and blues piano teacher.

My Classical piano teacher had an absolute love for the piano and an absolute "love" to teacher others to love the piano. She also had a cat that she loved and she left a window open (all winter) for this cat. Who could come and go as it pleased, and it did. She taught theory and expected you to get 100% in all theory exams, so she wasn't that happy with me when I got 97% and 98% in my theory exams! grin She was 80 years old when I started with her. She was my inspiration for 5 years. Then one lesson I went to her house and she was put on bed rest by her doctor. She had one of her Grade 9 students teach while she shouted orders from her bed where she was "listening" in the next room. She'd yell, "David"!! (that was the student teaching for her that day) "SLOW HER DOWN, SHE'S PLAYING TOOOOOOOO FAST"!!!! She died three weeks later, and two weeks following her death, I played my Grade 8 practical exam. During the whole exam, tears poured down my face. Don't think the examiner noticed as I was facing the opposite direction. Oh, & I passed the exam too! But I remember the joy of those tears knowing I had had one of the best piano teacher's ever!!!! I still think of her and smile! grin

My jazz/blues piano teacher was cool! He was a performer, loved it, got paid handsomely for it. He taught me the fun side of playing the piano and he honestly wanted to share his love of playing exciting music. He had a quote that was inspiring and challenging, and I will never forget it!

He had a professionalism. His quote was this,

"An amateur practices until he gets it right, but a professional practices til he can't get it wrong"!

Favourite piano teachers . . . where would we be without them! grin

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2256938 - 04/04/14 09:26 PM Re: What made your favourite piano teacher your . . . favourite! [Re: Diane...]
Joyce_dup1 Offline

Loc: Chicago
My favorite teacher was a former symphony director, a little rotund guy with stubby fingers. He had a marvelous painting of himself in his front room wearing white tails and conducting. We had a deal where my parents who had a music store would provide him with an organ for his home, and in exchange he would come to our home (others had to go to his home) to give me my weekly piano / organ lesson. But what I especially loved was that almost every week he would bounce up the sidewalk and front steps holding a piece of sheet music, often handwritten and notated by a close friend of his. But he was always so enthusiastic, he would immediately throw it up onto the music rack and begin playing. I try to remember this and do the same to my students. But I'll never be able to repeat his enthusiasm. Very memorable.

#2257077 - 04/05/14 08:34 AM Re: What made your favourite piano teacher your . . . favourite! [Re: Diane...]
Rebecca Piano Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
My favorite teacher is my current piano teacher - I've been seeing him since I was a teenager. I'm in my early twenties now, so we have known each other for seven years. He's been very supportive of all my endeavors musically, and non-musically. He taught me how to intepret, phrase, listen - how to be musically independent in essence (before him, I was taking lessons from an older fellow who gave me directions to where to put the 'phrase breaks' in every piece of music, 'pausing' at the end of the phrase never felt natural because I was told to pause). I was also given so many instructions on accents, dynamics, etc, etc.

My current teacher suggests, he encourages me to listen with my own ears. Everything started to make so much sense when I started seeing him.

I have also had many other teachers along the way who I have admired a lot. There is a lecturer in the place where I study, who was present at my entrance interview. I have a particular fondness for him, possibly because he was one of the people who probably agreed to let me in, but more particularly because he showed a lot of interest in my musical interests. You see, I took a gap year in the middle of my music degree, and in that time I studied to become a chef, I loved this experience and I intend to go back to the kitchen once I finish my degree. When I went back to university, after my gap year, that particular lecturer encouraged me to consider writing a paper in music and food studies.

I also remember my teachers in primary school - my kindergarten teacher (I also had her again in second grade) played the piano and sang, and I wanted to be just like her. I feel extremely privileged to have crossed paths with her, I do often wonder if I'd be so interested in playing the piano if it wasn't for her!
http://www.pianolessonswithrebecca.com/

#2258769 - 04/08/14 05:22 PM Re: What made your favourite piano teacher your . . . favourite! [Re: Diane...]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Come on along now. You "piano teachers's" aren't THAT OLD that you can't remember a story or two of good moments with good teachers?!
hahahahahaha
Maybe the others never had a "favourite"! grin

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77388 Members
42 Forums
160044 Topics
2350248 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission