Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
143 registered (36251, Adler, accordeur, anamnesis, 44 invisible), 1574 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2256924 - 04/04/14 08:33 PM 12-year "beginner" plays from memory
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
At the Nancy Williams blog (link), there is a story of a person that never memorized a piece until 12 years into his/her piano journey.

A few excerpts:
>> Robin writes:
This past summer, armed with 12 years of weekly lessons and two years of music theory, I achieved a goal I never thought possible—memorizing a piece of music. ...

I started by analyzing the chords in each measure, taking note of the progressions. ...

>>

Read the story and some more of the process at the blog. As always, I have no commercial ties with the blog. Some folks memorize easily, others have to really work at it. Most are in the middle range.

Let me add, that this is an extreme case. Someone who thought it impossible for him/her. The journey took 12 years of lessons with a teacher, then an entire summer to memorize a short piece “From Foreign Lands and People” by Robert Schumann.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2256961 - 04/04/14 10:53 PM Re: 12-year "beginner" plays from memory [Re: Sand Tiger]
Dave B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Everyone has different strengths. Some people don't memorize because they can sight read so well. Others memorize so quickly they never develop sight reading skills.
Then there are the lucky few who can do both.

#2257033 - 04/05/14 04:27 AM Re: 12-year "beginner" plays from memory [Re: Sand Tiger]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
It may not really be difficult for her to memorize. She wants to do it the educated way by understanding the music. It really isn't hard to memorize a finger /muscle pattern by just mindlessly drilling it into the hand; it becomes so fragile though. You play smoothly until someone walks into the room or the phone rings etc. you lose your place in the music and can't seem to know how to continue so you just start over again.
That's how I do it.

I would have to try her method of studying which is the proper way I'm sure. Understand the theory behind the music and you can play the pie e forwards backwards and upside down so to speak. It isn't just muscle memory which really isn't practicing piano I'm sure.

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2257109 - 04/05/14 10:26 AM Re: 12-year "beginner" plays from memory [Re: briansaddleback]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Brian and Dave, thanks for the replies. I am more in Dave's camp, that everyone is different. Brian, your attitude is common, believing that most people are like yourself and I don't think they are.

While there are some commonalities, each person is unique, with their own strengths and weaknesses. While most fall into the average range in terms of aptitudes. There are those with natural gifts, and those that are below average and struggle. The story is about a person that struggles.

As for myself, memorization I am okay with, average if you will. Ear training I am okay with. Sight reading? Bottom 10%, it is a huge struggle.

Those with huge natural talents often write on the forum, along the lines of just do so and so, it will only be a few minutes a day, and soon you will be doing xyz easily. The phrase easy as pie comes to mind. The talented don't seem to understand that the average person might be looking at two years of dedication to reach the same level that came easily to them in a few weeks or months. That the below average person may be looking at five years or more of dedicated work to reach their "easy" level.

If a person has had 12 years of lessons, I might imagine that if he/she was in the average range, memorization would have happened in year one, or year two, just as a by product of being a dedicated student. More likely, it is a huge task for that person. To discount that struggle and the subsequent achievement, is not fair to that person, and a reason I posted the story. So that others that struggle with a certain task or skill can see that there are others that struggle and overcome.

That and the tips to analyze the piece, study it section by section, play with the eyes closed, and keep trying to perform it without the sheets, until the beast is tamed.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend a Mozart biography, please
by Stubbie
12/28/14 04:44 PM
Newbie with a question...
by Classified00
12/28/14 03:43 PM
Alice Herz-Sommer---
by leel
12/28/14 02:42 PM
No big deal - just The oldest known Bosie
by Rich Galassini
12/28/14 02:33 PM
piano software on the cheap!
by Dennis R in WA
12/28/14 02:16 PM
Forum Stats
77471 Members
42 Forums
160205 Topics
2352553 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission