2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
L
Hm - a little Sherlock Manning spinet which I wore out 60 years ago, yet my niece still has and loves
- a larger old upright for a few years, I've forgotten what brand
- a Kawai 5'9" from 1968 - a workhorse which served me well
- a Roland HP 730, still performing happily and well at a friend's place
- and the new splurges - a Bechstein A190 last year, and a
- Roland LX15
both of which I am still trying to master, but love! I wish I had them when I was young
As for violins, I'm not sure of the count! They're much easier to move than a piano

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Yes, I know I was a bad boy with the accordion, but digital thingies ain't pianos!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Baldwin ArsenicAcrosonic spinet for 45 years followed by a new Mason A for around 6 years and presently a new Mason Hamlin BB for the last around 6 years(only one piano at a time)

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/06/14 01:36 PM.
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
3 (4 if I count the old upright my family had when I was a child, but I didn't really "own" that one.)

Mine were an old Lester upright (beautiful to look at but a clunky action and soundboard starting to give way). Then a Sohmer studio, one of the last ones built at their "good" factory in the 1980s. Then the lovely walnut Baldwin grand. (all were bought used)

I've been playing for more years than I like to count, but only really studying for the last 4 years or so.

1989 Baldwin R
E
E
Steinway Model A. I inherited it from my grandmother and sold it after my stroke, God help me.

Yamaha P22

Hailun 178

Two digitals, Yamaha and Casio

T
T
I decided that I wanted to buy a piano when I was in college. I was just trying to learn and my parents said NO. They figured that I would tire of music. After graduation, the first thing I bought was an ancient Story and Clark player. I had that piano for years. Later a Steinway L, had to sell when I got married and didn't have room. Later a Clavinova (which I still own), and finally a Yamaha 7'3" grand. Had room once I got divorced! Oh, also a Kimball Electramatic player that I bought and sold quickly

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
One owned....MANY possessed.

The only one owned was a 1904 Heintzman upright.

Now working for Roland, my piano "ownership" changes every time we have new models.

Jay

Industry Consultant

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Is Roland a piano?

Hmmmm

Dude, ya need some strings, hammers, and a soundboard! I could suggest some places in Vancouver where you could shop.

wink

Marty in Minnesota

Not that it is necessary, but I’ll elaborate a little on my 5 current pianos…
My Yamaha C7 (7’4” circa 1978) is my favorite of all time. The low bass is very nice, and the uppermost treble notes are clear and distinct (not so on many pianos).

My 5’9” Kimball (circa 1979) has surprised me… it holds a tuning better than any piano I’ve ever had (laminated soundboard?). The tone is nice and I can pound the heck out of it and the tuning doesn’t budge. It has the Bosendorfer designed plate with the big sound holes. Maybe that is why it sounds good to me. The action is nice too… not too light and not too heavy.

My latest baby grand, a 5’10” Howard (circa 1969 made by Kawai/model 550) is also a very nice sounding/playing piano. The lady I purchased it from said her mother bought it for her on her 16th birthday because she was taking lessons at the time. She said she never did learn to play much and kept the piano all these years in honor of her mother… the piano has very little wear on it, other than the effects of age. It could use a new set of bass strings, but sounds and plays great!

My Kawai K48A professional upright (circa 1969) was purchased from a piano teacher’s estate and is in great condition. Though it belonged to a piano teacher, she must have had it serviced regularly because it is in great condition. It has a mellow tone that is clear and refined, and a rather light touch, but not as light as some pianos I’ve played.

My Baldwin 243 studio upright (circa 1985) was purchased from a local community college via state surplus, via eBay. The outside cabinet is scratched up some from moving it around, apparently, but the insides are in surprisingly good condition. I think it was moved and shifted around more than it was actually played. It has that distinctive Baldwin tone.

I like my acoustic pianos a lot and play them all during the course of the week… sometimes depending on what mood I’m in. laugh

Why have 5 pianos? Why not. Thing is, I got each one at a very good price, and I could afford them at the time. There is always a better piano to be had, but I have some nice ones as it is… smile

Now, if I could just play a piano. wink

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Is Roland a piano?

Hmmmm

Dude, ya need some strings, hammers, and a soundboard! I could suggest some places in Vancouver where you could shop.

wink

None needed thanks Marty. wink I know all the retailers here. I work with those of them who also sell Roland on their floors next to Fazioli, Bechstein and Steinway, and play their amazing acoustics every time I go in. thumb

Jay

Industry Consultant

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I figured you did. But since this is an acoustic forum, you needed a little razzing!

Marty in Minnesota

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
I figured you did. But since this is an acoustic forum, you needed a little razzing!

Understood and accepted. thumb

Industry Consultant
Four. Not counting the digital and at least four keyboards.

Old used upright, name unremembered. One year.
Baldwin Acrosonic spinet bought new in 1965. 19 years.
Kawai KG2D (5'10" grand) bought new in 1984. 27 years.
2001 Bösendorfer 225 (7'4" grand) bought in 2011. 2 years.

How long have I been playing? Define "playing." By the age of 3 or 4 I was picking out kiddie tunes with one finger. So...let's say 70 years.

Last edited by Annitenth; 04/06/14 10:23 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Rickster

Why have 5 pianos? Why not. Thing is, I got each one at a very good price, and I could afford them at the time.

Rick, where do you have room to keep 5 pianos at once?!! You got a special garage or something, hehe.

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
(...neither a Vox Continental in 1967. Yes, I have sinned.)

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
C
C
Tinkering on family member's OLD upright Steinway as a tot. (50 years ago)
Lessons on an old Baldwin upright. (until 42 years ago)
Purchased a Baldwin console/spinet (VERY disappointed... 31 years ago... gave it away!)
Looking now for my "forever/retirement" upright...

Who knows!?!

Charlie

Last edited by Chazarama; 04/06/14 11:42 PM.
W
W
None frown cry
but I am in the process of changing that.

If you'd put "played on" instead of "owned", then it would be many...

@piano man 3758:
I don't know you, but just read the thread you are referring to and found your post here just delighting. You seem very nice. greetings

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Let's see I once had a Knabe spinet that I relieved my Dad of after my Mom died (she was the musician). I lost that to a bad landlord when I couldn't remove it when I removed myself. After I got married I played my (now ex) wife's piano. Then we bought a Samick console. About 7 or 8 years ago I decided that with 2 kids (born 5 years apart) going to college it was now or wait a long time (my daughter is a freshman this year) and that's when I got the Estonia 190 (which I kept in the divorce). Somewhere in there I also acquired a Yamaha P60 digital.

So if you don't count the digital or the piano my wife brought with her (I never owned it) that would be 3.

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 04/09/14 09:47 AM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
P
P
Originally Posted by woodfrog
None frown cry
but I am in the process of changing that.

If you'd put "played on" instead of "owned", then it would be many...

@piano man 3758:
I don't know you, but just read the thread you are referring to and found your post here just delighting. You seem very nice. greetings

Thank you Woodfrog!!

Feurich 172(Hand built in Gunzenhausen Germany)
Yamaha CGP 1000
1920 Cunningham player piano
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Annitenth
Four. Not counting the digital and at least four keyboards.

Old used upright, name unremembered. One year.
Baldwin Acrosonic spinet bought new in 1965. 19 years.
Kawai KG2D (5'10" grand) bought new in 1984. 27 years.
2001 Bösendorfer 225 (7'4" grand) bought in 2011. 2 years.

How long have I been playing? Define "playing." By the age of 3 or 4 I was picking out kiddie tunes with one finger. So...let's say 70 years.

This tracks my own history pretty closely:

Baldwin Acrosonic -- bought by my father for my mother's first birthday after they were married. Given to me and my wife as a wedding present. Now lives with my sister. 27 years.

Kawai K2G 5'10" grand -- 5 years. My wife never tires of telling friends that I told her I was going shopping for a new pair of athletic socks (which was the truth -- no kidding) and came home with the sales slip for the Kawai. Also paid full list price -- my first major blunder in the world of piano shopping.

Grotrian 189, 6' 2" -- beautiful tone (especially in the tenor and alto voice ranges) and perfect action -- even more responsive than its successor. 18 years.

Steinway B -- fell in love with the bass tone from the start, then the magnificent treble overtones. Just had its first full regulation by a real expert and it's never been better. Probably my last, unless . . . . 12 years.

Phil Bjorlo
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission