Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2259446 - 04/10/14 12:54 AM Time to Switch Teachers?
PianoGamer Offline

Hi all,

I apologize for the double post. I posted a question about switching teachers that may be more appripro for this audience so here it goes...

I'm a 35 yr old adult with a little musical knowledge as a kid, but no real technical training on the piano. I took up lessons with a wonderfully gifted teacher about a year and a half ago. She has a doctorate from USC and in her day was quite the pianist. The issue is that she is in her mid 70's and is a bit stubborn shall we say in the teaching methods she uses. I love hearing her stories and our conversation, but I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way of teaching out there. She uses the Thompson and Schaum method books, books that date back to the 40's. She tells me that when she was a kid she hated these books, but they teach fundamentals that I need to know and that once I get through these books, many classical pieces will be a piece of cake. I also have a technique book with scales, arpeggios, chord progressions, cadences, etc that we use to supplement the method books. I'm stuck on "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny" from Book 2 (which I find a bit offensive lol) because it's such a big leap in difficulty for me from previous selections.

We also work on "fun" pieces, but I don't feel like I'm even at a level where I can make a success out of them. So far I've tried Chopin's Prelude in E minor (can get through most of it, but a few tough measures), Prelude in C minor (just started, but this seems like a big undertaking although I love it) and finally Waltz in A minor. I'm making progress on the waltz, but it is so slow and doesn't sound anything like a waltz at this point. =(

I guess I'd like to try someone that may offer a more modern technique. I don't know if I can hang in there with these Thompson method books, that are childish and jump in difficulty.

Does anyone have any advice? I just want to have small wins and it seems like the first year I was doing that consistently, but I've hit a wall of sorts and feel unorganized in my practice now.

Thanks in advance!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2259499 - 04/10/14 03:48 AM Re: Time to Switch Teachers? [Re: PianoGamer]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
It's possible that you have hit a wall in your progress that has little or nothing to do with your teacher - although she certainly does sound of the old school.

OTH a new teacher, preferably one experienced with adult beginners, might give you a lift.

You might finish out the academic teaching season with your present teacher, and then try someone else over the summer. If it clicks with teacher #2, stick with this person next year. If not, you might want to return to #1 in the fall.

Or you might want to have lessons with both of them, if everybody is cool with this.

#2260010 - 04/10/14 10:25 PM Re: Time to Switch Teachers? [Re: PianoGamer]
hreichgott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
How long have you been working on those Chopin pieces? If it's been less than 4 months and you have them somewhat playable but slow and/or with problems, then I think you don't need method books any more and should just be on classical repertoire. If I were you I'd ask your teacher if you could please just play classical repertoire. She may suggest easier pieces than the Chopin -- there's plenty out there (Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, Beethoven Anh. 5, Clementi Op. 36 etc.)
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (AndrewJCW, ajames, ando, AndresD, 40 invisible), 1801 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75599 Members
42 Forums
156310 Topics
2295681 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
07/31/14 03:57 PM
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
07/31/14 03:39 PM
Carrying Bah for Rokit 6 G3 monitors?
by Mta88
07/31/14 03:39 PM
Supplemental instruction?
by TwoSnowflakes
07/31/14 03:15 PM
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
07/31/14 12:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission