Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 45 of 46 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 >
Topic Options
#2224675 - 02/02/14 02:29 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
compianist1 Offline

Loc: Banned
the way I see it, it doesn't really bother me....when I record a piano solo with the F20, it will play it back with the proper piano sound, which I just record as audio to my mp3 player through direct connection. And by the way I am really impressed with the recordings, they are pristine and sound natural. I compared it with a Clementi performance on a real piano and I can hardly tell the difference. I don't know why some reviewers said that the middle and upper range of notes in the F20 sound 'artificial', because that's not my experience at all, to me it sounds really good.

And if I have to play back a midi file of something else, the F20 will do that too. So there's no problem. Most digital piano don't have a GM set at all.

The only problem is that I can't do this test easily

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2224824 - 02/02/14 07:39 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: compianist1]
compianist1 Offline

if anyone is interested, here's a good review of the F20.
I am not affiliated to the shop or anything.

http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/roland-f-20

#2225188 - 02/03/14 12:11 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
musicman100 Offline

Loc: North east .UK
Hi Is there are any plans to do the Kawai es7 or is it the same as the MP6. I think it is the same although there may be differences since it is a later model.

#2225597 - 02/04/14 05:38 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
compianist1 Offline

it's weird. I tried the pianoteq again today with the F20. The ppp on the pianoteq is better and more beautiful(on the F20, I can only get p or pp ) but the f and ff on the F20 absolutely trashes pianoteq. On pianoteq, it overall feels like you have to work a lot harder to get louder dynamics, something the F20 excels at (i.e. it's easy and natural to get and control loud dynamics). I tried all the 3 velocity settings on the F20, from light to heavy. Actually, the F20 has 4, which is the button off setup. The Roland manual says that with the button off, the response is as close as that to a real acoustic piano as possible, and I completely agree as it feels really good and natural.

Also, on the Pianoteq I get a clarity problem. The F20 has a pristine quality and clarity, that the pianoteq doesn't have. I tried one of my pieces with both, which has a repeated A (the one in the middle of the keyboard) in the melody, played staccato by alternating the thumbs of both hands, at moderate speed, 4 times. The left thumb plays that note at exactly the moment where the LH is not playing any chords, so the LH ,basically, is momentarily 'sharing' the melody part. It's reminiscent of an harpsichord, with a staccato sound, which is exactly how it should sound. On the F20, i hear this harpsichord effect with all the repeated staccato A's with crystal clear quality. On the pianoteq, it's a lot more indistinct, it sounds more like a jumble of sound, it completely destroys the effect. Same technique, completely different results.

Also, as I noted in another post, the overall playability of a good hardware digital piano, in my opinion and experience far surpasses the playability with a PC sample library and a master keyboard.

So, even though these very tests for software pianos in this forum are really interesting and extremely useful, I have to say that to me it all looks like an exact case where 1 plus 1 doesn't equal 2, i.e. in theory the software piano has more than everything compared to an hardware good digital piano, so it should feel sound and better, but to me that's not the case at all.

Strange, but true. No matter how I turn it, i.e. the F20 uses apparently more limiting technology that pianoteq or one of the sampling libraries I have; no matter if these use apparently more advanced technology, no looping, this and that, to me the F20 still wins overall, hands down. I am not saying that pianoteq isn't worth buying: it's a great buy and if I didn't have the F20, i'd buy it. I agree it's the best piano modelling software available. I do prefer it to sampling libraries because the latter can have really annoying and sudden layer switches (which on the F20 i cannot hear at all)

But still, a strange case where 1 plus 1 doesn't equal 2. And this is not the first time I experience that. Another time I experienced a very similar 'corny' thing about recording guitars ( I have been playing guitar for almost 20 years) where I had all the numbers and theory nailed on paper and a lot of experience with it, but in practice, the 1 + 1 = 2 formula again was completely shattered. Too long to explain, but it produced a similar result like the pianoteq vs F20, i.e. what in theory should have sounded and feel better, didn't, and actually the solution that worked really well was the one which looked more primitive, limiting or cheaper etc.

Edited by compianist1 (02/04/14 05:50 AM)

#2225710 - 02/04/14 10:48 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: musicman100]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: musicman100
Hi Is there are any plans to do the Kawai es7 or is it the same as the MP6. I think it is the same although there may be differences since it is a later model.

Yes, it's been in the pipe waaay too long. Sorry, will try to get to the backlog soon.

#2225760 - 02/04/14 12:49 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Marcos Daniel Offline

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
And what about Kawai CA95/CS10? shocked

#2226017 - 02/04/14 09:08 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: compianist1]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: compianist1
it's weird. I tried the pianoteq again today with the F20. The ppp on the pianoteq is better and more beautiful(on the F20, I can only get p or pp ) but the f and ff on the F20 absolutely trashes pianoteq. On pianoteq, it overall feels like you have to work a lot harder to get louder dynamics, something the F20 excels at (i.e. it's easy and natural to get and control loud dynamics). I tried all the 3 velocity settings on the F20, from light to heavy. Actually, the F20 has 4, which is the button off setup. The Roland manual says that with the button off, the response is as close as that to a real acoustic piano as possible, and I completely agree as it feels really good and natural.. . . . .

The obvious question:

. . . Is there a way to change the relationship between "MIDI velocity" and "loudness" _inside Pianoteq_?

That might give you the "ff" and "fff" that you're missing.

. Charles

#2244218 - 03/10/14 11:38 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Phlox Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Any plans for the MP7 and MP11 ??

#2245896 - 03/13/14 11:44 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

2^6 VIEWS!

Though gazing upon the DP truth can be horrifying. Thanks for your moral support and interest!

#2255102 - 03/31/14 11:42 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
milana piano Offline

Ok, just curious. What has been the most surprisingly poor performance from an expensive digital piano we might have expected to sound amamzing???

#2255110 - 04/01/14 12:03 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: milana piano]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: milana piano
Ok, just curious. What has been the most surprisingly poor performance from an expensive digital piano we might have expected to sound amamzing???

The AvantGrand N3 comes to mind as having a very lack luster piano tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hway_tTFOzc

Even though Cyprien Katsaris is a fine pianist even he is not able to coax anything that is remotely convincing from this overhyped digital. The piano sounds are downright artificial and plinky at best and the lack of realism does not support the ridiculous price you have to pay to own it. Also, many older Clavinova's (like the CLP-990) have piano sounds that surpass the N3.

#2255112 - 04/01/14 12:07 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: pv88]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: pv88
The AvantGrand N3 comes to mind as having a very lack luster piano tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hway_tTFOzc

Even though Cyprien Katsaris is a fine pianist even he is not able to coax anything that is remotely convincing from this overhyped digital. The piano sounds are downright artificial and plinky at best and the lack of realism does not support the ridiculous price you have to pay to own it. Also, many older Clavinova's (like the CLP-990) have piano sounds that surpass the N3.

Quoted for when pv88 inevitably purchases an AvantGrand and back-pedals on his previous opinion.

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2255121 - 04/01/14 12:49 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@James,

Extra note:

Just had a couple of slightly sticking keys adjusted on my CLP-990 yesterday, so that along with the previous pedal repair keeps it in very good condition for what is now a 13 year old digital. Don't think I will trade it in for an AvantGrand any time soon, although if something eventually comes along that does everything the V-Piano can do and has some really convincing and authentic piano sounds, then that new *model* (whatever it may be) could be a consideration.

#2255239 - 04/01/14 09:42 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Quoted for when pv88 inevitably purchases an AvantGrand and back-pedals on his previous opinion.

Oh dear, I believe we've finally flipped James over to the dark side.

#2255248 - 04/01/14 09:57 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: milana piano]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: milana piano

Yes, the AG sound technology was a disappointment, particularly due to expectations given action, cabinetry, price, etc. IMO Yamaha tends to write hype checks their products can't cash, though that's generally true perhaps to a lesser extent with all DP manufacturers. The CP1 was also a let down after the massive build-up which included the introduction of new jargon implying modeling.

More generally I suppose the trend of shorter, over-processed, blander loops in recent Yamaha and Kawai products has been something of a surprise. Almost the entire market is stuck in the backwaters of technology, a quagmire of soul-sucking banality. It's almost like they're afraid to spend $1 on Flash, $2 on a 2-line LCD, or $10 on a decent processor - I really don't get it. The engineering departments are busy designing iPod interfaces to essentially 1980's products.

#2255364 - 04/01/14 01:43 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Originally Posted By: dewster
The engineering departments are busy designing iPod interfaces to essentially 1980's products.

I wonder if its demoralizing if your job is to be one of those engineers??? I hope modelling paves the way of the future and these companies are forced to adapt of perish. The reality is the average consumer of digital pianos know nothing.

#2255713 - 04/02/14 12:22 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
jeffreyfranz Offline

Loc: Central California
[quote=milana piano] Almost the entire market is stuck in the backwaters of technology, a quagmire of soul-sucking banality. It's almost like they're afraid to spend $1 on Flash, $2 on a 2-line LCD, or $10 on a decent processor - I really don't get it. The engineering departments are busy designing iPod interfaces to essentially 1980's products.

What he said.

#2257609 - 04/06/14 12:12 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: compianist1]
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
it's weird. I tried the pianoteq again today with the F20. The ppp on the pianoteq is better and more beautiful(on the F20, I can only get p or pp ) but the f and ff on the F20 absolutely trashes pianoteq. On pianoteq, it overall feels like you have to work a lot harder to get louder dynamics, something the F20 excels at (i.e. it's easy and natural to get and control loud dynamics). I tried all the 3 velocity settings on the F20, from light to heavy. Actually, the F20 has 4, which is the button off setup. The Roland manual says that with the button off, the response is as close as that to a real acoustic piano as possible, and I completely agree as it feels really good and natural.

Also, on the Pianoteq I get a clarity problem. The F20 has a pristine quality and clarity, that the pianoteq doesn't have. I tried one of my pieces with both, which has a repeated A (the one in the middle of the keyboard) in the melody, played staccato by alternating the thumbs of both hands, at moderate speed, 4 times. The left thumb plays that note at exactly the moment where the LH is not playing any chords, so the LH ,basically, is momentarily 'sharing' the melody part. It's reminiscent of an harpsichord, with a staccato sound, which is exactly how it should sound. On the F20, i hear this harpsichord effect with all the repeated staccato A's with crystal clear quality. On the pianoteq, it's a lot more indistinct, it sounds more like a jumble of sound, it completely destroys the effect. Same technique, completely different results.

Also, as I noted in another post, the overall playability of a good hardware digital piano, in my opinion and experience far surpasses the playability with a PC sample library and a master keyboard.

So, even though these very tests for software pianos in this forum are really interesting and extremely useful, I have to say that to me it all looks like an exact case where 1 plus 1 doesn't equal 2, i.e. in theory the software piano has more than everything compared to an hardware good digital piano, so it should feel sound and better, but to me that's not the case at all.

Strange, but true. No matter how I turn it, i.e. the F20 uses apparently more limiting technology that pianoteq or one of the sampling libraries I have; no matter if these use apparently more advanced technology, no looping, this and that, to me the F20 still wins overall, hands down. I am not saying that pianoteq isn't worth buying: it's a great buy and if I didn't have the F20, i'd buy it. I agree it's the best piano modelling software available. I do prefer it to sampling libraries because the latter can have really annoying and sudden layer switches (which on the F20 i cannot hear at all)

But still, a strange case where 1 plus 1 doesn't equal 2. And this is not the first time I experience that. Another time I experienced a very similar 'corny' thing about recording guitars ( I have been playing guitar for almost 20 years) where I had all the numbers and theory nailed on paper and a lot of experience with it, but in practice, the 1 + 1 = 2 formula again was completely shattered. Too long to explain, but it produced a similar result like the pianoteq vs F20, i.e. what in theory should have sounded and feel better, didn't, and actually the solution that worked really well was the one which looked more primitive, limiting or cheaper etc.

Sometimes I wonder if what you are hearing is because of the old technology instead of despite the old technology: with shorter, looped samples, the hum of the loop is reached by the time a note is repeated, creating a less harmonically rich sound, since the upper partials have died a bit, and making the attack of new notes stand out. Yet at the same time, the hum of the loop emulates the the soundboard resonance. There are thus several older keyboards that still have an interesting sound that may project the attack well---the "Perfect piano" in the old Ensoniq ZR-76, the samples in the Roland RD-600.

I wonder, too, if the micing for the sampling process differs. I can imagine that older libraries, wanting a strong attack, and thus a brighter sound that could be darkened with a lp filter for soft strikes, would focus the mics closer to the hammers, while newer libraries, wanting to capture the longer decay and able to use more layers to vary the timbre instead of a lp filter, might include more mics further from the hammers or move the mics a little further away from the hammers. Only speculation, here.

As far as Pianoteq goes--have you tried editing the Direct duration in combination with the Impedance and possibly the Sympathetic resonance? Increasing the Direct duration will focus the sound more on the attack and reduce the decay a bit, as will, of course, reducing the Impedance and the resonance. I would encourage trying small edits in various combinations, and changing the edits from one range of notes to the next.

Edited by Jake Jackson (04/06/14 12:29 PM)

#2260440 - 04/11/14 08:55 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: Jake Jackson]
jeffreyfranz Offline

Loc: Central California
Interesting thoughts. Thanks.

#2304906 - 07/21/14 03:22 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
GWILLY Offline

Monopsony.

#2305010 - 07/21/14 06:25 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: compianist1]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
it's weird. I tried the pianoteq again today with the F20. The ppp on the pianoteq is better and more beautiful(on the F20, I can only get p or pp ) but the f and ff on the F20 absolutely trashes pianoteq. On pianoteq, it overall feels like you have to work a lot harder to get louder dynamics, something the F20 excels at (i.e. it's easy and natural to get and control loud dynamics). . . .

Pianoteq lets you put in your own velocity mapping, that sets the relationship between the keyboard's MIDI-velocity output, and Pianoteq's internal "loudness" number.

If you want Pianoteq to respond "ff" to your touch, rather than "f", just change the curve!

That feature is in _all_ versions of Pianoteq, including "Stage". And it's not difficult to use.

. Charles

#2305770 - 07/23/14 06:48 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Pedro Ruiz Offline

Hi, Im new to the Forums in writing, because Ive been reading them for a while...

2 months ago I bought a copy of Ivory II American Concert D and I like it very much.
Ive generated the audiofiles with the current MIDI file (v2.0 if I remember well) using the Cantabile interface Ivory II uses as a standalone application.

Where and how do I upload the files??? (I have generated MP3 and other lossless audiofiles using last demo of Adobe Audition)

BEST REGARDS FROM SPAIN!!!

#2305818 - 07/23/14 09:17 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Marcos Daniel Offline

I think you have to send a private message to Dewster...

#2307805 - 07/27/14 02:10 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ran across this the other day, I had no idea ARM processors had reached this point:

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G138745696275

A single board 1.7GHz quad core computer for $65 - retail!

I forget - could someone please explain to me again why DPs are required to suck so hard and cost so much with this kind of thing on the open market? Who is holding back my fully sampled Casio for $500?

#2307889 - 07/27/14 06:01 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Marcos Daniel Offline

Don't forget about cheap plastic keys with optical sensor and a very, very far pivot point :p

#2307915 - 07/27/14 07:55 PM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
9000 Post Club Member

Very cool little board!
If Pianoteq could run on ARM this would be a perfect system for pairing (or evening mounting inside) a VPC1 or other controller.

James
x

#2308082 - 07/28/14 09:44 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Very cool little board!
If Pianoteq could run on ARM this would be a perfect system for pairing (or evening mounting inside) a VPC1 or other controller.

Yes, hook it up to a small screen and a wireless keyboard / mouse and you'd be ready to go. I know there are Linux builds of Pianoteq, but I don't believe any target the ARM unfortunately.

#2308103 - 07/28/14 11:10 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
9000 Post Club Member

I know there are Linux builds of Pianoteq, but I don't believe any target the ARM unfortunately.

Yes, it's x86 only.

#2308110 - 07/28/14 11:20 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: dewster]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Excuse me, but do I see a small, fanless, inconsequential looking CPU capable of 1.7GHZ x 4, plus 2G RAM, all for 65 dollars? (about 48)?

This - even with Moore's law and so on - is pretty amazing.

If this 'reduced instruction set' technology is so good, why aren't we all using it? Perhaps we are.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2308114 - 07/28/14 11:34 AM Re: The DPBSD Project! [Re: toddy]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy
If this 'reduced instruction set' technology is so good, why aren't we all using it? Perhaps we are.

Here is a wiki on the Exynos processor. There are even more powerful versions of it in various products (Chromebook, Galaxy, etc.) so, yes, we are all already using it (in some sense).

If you want 4 cores @ 2GHz + 4 "small" cores + USB3 Hardkernel offers this for $179:

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G140448267127

The extremely cumbersome and inefficient Intel architecture should never have been allowed to become as dominant as it has. In a more perfect world IBM would have picked anything but Intel for the initial PCs. (And anything but DOS. That was a match made in heaven - NOT!) I get the feeling the IBM guys were just tossing stuff together in the belief that the PC wouldn't go anywhere.

Page 45 of 46 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
09/30/14 08:19 PM
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
09/30/14 08:05 PM
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
09/30/14 06:28 PM
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
Who's Online
124 registered (adrpiano, ajames, accordeur, 36251, 34 invisible), 1418 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157898 Topics
2318963 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission