Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2260686 - 04/12/14 12:54 PM calling all sound engineers
craig son of berg Offline

Loc: WPB, FL, US of A
what do you think of this setup of a polk audio m70 speaker. I can feel the keys vibrate when I play lol. Any pros or cons about sound? I know they are somewhat directional speakers so ideally you want them to face you. But I like the fact that the sound shoots up and around the room as its reflecting off the back wall and side wall in a corner.

I'm having a hard time getting galaxy pianos sounding to my liking though. (Too much bass instead of clarity) its playing through my receiver at 24bit 192khz though so that's a good setting right? Let me know and try to keep it somewhat non technical as I dont have a sound engineering degree lol

Edited by craig son of berg (04/12/14 12:57 PM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2260716 - 04/12/14 02:58 PM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: craig son of berg]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
That's obvious that you have too much bass when listening on that beats... Get some normal speakers, not something with four 6,5 woofers...

Why you will not buy some monitors and płace them correctly with the art?
And you have in the worst possible positive...

It cannot sounds well just looking in it.

#2260725 - 04/12/14 03:41 PM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: craig son of berg]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
The boomy sound is probably mostly to do with speaker placement. I'm not familiar with this speaker but they have a reputation for ample bass - maybe too much for natural sounding piano because a real piano does not have a strong bass component, comparatively speaking.

The speakers should be forward facing, away from the wall, forming an equilateral triangle with your position. Keep them well clear of corners or confined areas of any sort which will tend to resonate at low frequencies and emphasize certain frequencies in a way you don't want for natural sounding reproduction.

You can probably use in-computer EQ too, to shape the sound as you want - but after getting the speakers positioned well, preferably.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2260842 - 04/12/14 09:11 PM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: craig son of berg]
GLR Offline

Loc: AB
I would think if you kept your eq flat on your receiver you shouldn't have too much bass regardless of the speakers used as long as your speaker(s) is/are full range. I think I understand what you are trying to do with the tower speaker placed horizontal behind the KB - to use it as a widely dispersed sound source - but it might be some of the problem. Some smaller (4 perhaps for even dispersal) forward facing bookshelf speakers behind the KB or below might be worth trying. You could then add a sub to handle the lower frequencies, perhaps placed below and centre of the KB. Subs are omni directional so you shouldn't be able to tell where it sits relative to the other speakers. I think you'll have to do some experimenting with placement. Room acoustics influence the sound as well. As for the 24/192 source that should be an excellent quality setting.

#2261024 - 04/13/14 12:02 PM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: GLR]

thanks for the help guys. Yes the receiver is set to 'straight' no eq or dsp effect. they are also set to full dynamic range via receiver. You can see a piece of my second m70 on the bottom left of picture facing me at a 45 deg angle. What im really trying to do is emulate (in a ghetto way lol) the way a digital grand speakers face and also get the vibration feedback on the keys at the same time the way a real grands keys vibrate.

I really dont want to spend more money on more speakers as I got these two nice ones to fill the room with sound rather than direct sound that monitors do.

Im sure if I play around with galaxy pianos numerous sound settings I can get it to work right. ( I just dont know exactly how they all work together to create the sound I want)

Edited by craig son of berg (04/13/14 12:08 PM)

#2261029 - 04/13/14 12:12 PM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: craig son of berg]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
I would have the speakers underneath the keyboard,facing the player. Towards the wall boosts bass unnaturally.

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2261040 - 04/13/14 12:53 PM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: LarryShone]

thanks larry I was actually thinking about this myself. Only problem is this is really going to raise the piano. I might just try it though. BTW speaker is not facing a wall. Its pointing to the ceiling.

on a side note.. that px3 in the picture with missing screws is going to turn into a vpc1 tuesday...cant wait!

Edited by craig son of berg (04/13/14 01:11 PM)

#2261059 - 04/13/14 01:54 PM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: craig son of berg]
Charles Cohen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
One problem:

. . . Tweeters tend to be directive.

So if your tweeters are pointed up, and your head is beside the speaker, you're getting "direct-wave" bass (at full volume), and "reflected-wave" highs.

If the sound is somewhat dull, that could be the cause.

Tilt that upper loudspeaker, on its long edge, so that it's facing your head (as a monitor would), and position it so that its tweeter (wherever it is) is in the center of the keyboard. That will turn it into a "monitor speaker", more or less, and may help you out.

. Charles

#2261090 - 04/13/14 02:58 PM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: craig son of berg]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Try placing the speakers on either side of the piano, angled inward toward, and raised up on stands so that the top of each speaker is at ear level.

#2261108 - 04/13/14 03:55 PM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: MacMacMac]

thanks everyone for your help. I will try it all the ways everyone said and let you know what works for me. Btw I am able to improve the sound with galaxy pianos by turning off concert hall effect(big diff in bass) and dynamic range of piano and low keys tone menu. anybody familiar with galaxy and yes I watched the youtube videos.

Edited by craig son of berg (04/13/14 04:05 PM)

#2262528 - Yesterday at 09:55 AM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: craig son of berg]

placing the speakers standing upright behind the piano works the best for me.( I took off the floor cones on the bottom of the speakers so they would stand flat on the desk) Laying the speaker on its side and putting the piano on top was great for the vibration through the keys but the sound still was muffled.(im satisfied with current setup producing the vibrations) someone needs to invent a speaker that is omnidirectional and sounds good.

Edited by craig son of berg (Yesterday at 12:55 PM)

#2262961 - Today at 08:15 AM Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: craig son of berg]
Deffie Online   content

Omnidirectional? Sure, they exist, here's one company (and I'm sure there are others): http://www.duevel.com/home/loudspeaker.shtml

Not cheap, although considering the high-end speaker market they don't seem out of line.

#2262969 - 37 minutes 21 seconds ago Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: craig son of berg]
lolatu Online   content

Loc: UK
If you have your keyboard on a table, I'd give one of these a try:

I haven't tested one personally, but as far as I can see, it's a similar idea to the "transducer" in the CA95.

Search for "vibration speaker" on Amazon. They are cheap - 25 for a 10W model or 54 for 26W (CA95's is 15W).

#2262977 - 20 minutes 11 seconds ago Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: lolatu]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: lolatu
CA95's [trandsducer] is 15W.

No, it's 45W.

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2262981 - 9 minutes 27 seconds ago Re: calling all sound engineers [Re: Kawai James]
lolatu Online   content

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Originally Posted By: lolatu
CA95's [trandsducer] is 15W.

No, it's 45W.

Why does it have "15W" printed on it then?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (36251, alex-kid, ando, Almaviva, 37 invisible), 1415 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74213 Members
42 Forums
153520 Topics
2249728 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
16 minutes 19 seconds ago
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
19 minutes 29 seconds ago
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
Today at 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission