Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2250007 - 03/21/14 03:01 PM MTNA congress in Chicago, IL - March 22-26
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Are some of the PW fraternity attending? I will be there. Please say hi if you see me. Last year I met John v.d. Brook and Jennifer Eklund.

MTNA = Music Teachers National Assn (an American organization of some 20,000 teachers, most of them self-employed piano teachers)

mtna.org
https://members.mtna.org/conference2014/index.html

Edited by Peter K. Mose (03/21/14 03:02 PM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2258136 - 04/07/14 12:51 PM Re: MTNA congress in Chicago, IL - March 22-26 [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have been meaning to write a short wrap-up...

There were about 1100 teachers registered - a good turnout - plus another 600 people who were exhibitors at the trade show, kids in competitions, etc. The teachers tend to be nearly all piano teachers, with a split of maybe 60/40 (?) between private studio teachers and those connected to a college or university. Most everyone is American, or based in the US.

The array of offerings on paper is exciting and bewildering, and there are always several sessions scheduled at any one hour, so that a registrant must pick and choose, and constantly feel frustrated by missing something more enlivening. It's impolite to walk out during a session, so usually I stuck out each session I attended, even if the session proved tedious. And many are tedious.

I met a young piano teacher - a grad student in piano pedagogy from Ohio - on my first day: she was seated next to me at one session, and I introduced myself. She said she was here for the first time. I didn't want to disappoint her too much, so I said: "Carol, enjoy yourself here at your first MTNA conference. Each subsequent year you attend it will get less interesting, believe me." She looked crestfallen; maybe I shouldn't have said it.

A few highlights...

* Bruce Berr gave a session called "Teaching the Emotional Aspects of Form" that was interesting. It was geared to helping young performers understand and project large-scale form through expression of musical themes. Berr is an inquisitive, gentle fellow, and not dogmatic. He is clearly excited about his discoveries. If you have a chance to engage him to speak to your local teacher organization, you would not be disappointed.

* Paul Sheftel sat at the piano for an hour and played through snatches of many Haydn piano sonatas, along with his witty banter about them. Of those sixty or so sonatas, most of us teachers are familiar with at most a handful of them.

* Jason Sifford and Alan Huckleberry gave a rousing talk about their insanely ambitious goal to record for YouTube some 9000 graded piano teaching pieces - pieces that most of us might encounter at some point or other in our teaching career. Clementi, Kabalevsky, Bach little preludes, William Gillock and Lynn Olson repertoire, etc. These two fellows were most affable, and most amusing, yet extremely committed to their cause, the so-called University of Iowa Piano Pedagogy Project. (Jason is the PW moderator known as Kreisler.)

* The Recreational Music Making (RMM) folks were there, extolling their lowest-common-denominator group approach to adult beginners and early intermediates. If you want to make more money teaching piano, this might be something for you to explore, in partnership with a piano store.

Far and away the best thing I did in Chicago was to attend a concert of the Chicago Symphony. For only $52, I was seated in the fourth row, a few feet away from conductor Riccardo Muti, as he led the Schubert Unfinished Symphony, and CSO principal cellist John Sharp, who played the Elgar Cello Concerto movingly. It was an after-work concert, with just two repertoire selections and no intermission. This world-standard orchestra, even on a ho-hum night, plays to a standard that is stupefying.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (04/07/14 01:58 PM)

#2258396 - 04/07/14 09:22 PM Re: MTNA congress in Chicago, IL - March 22-26 [Re: Peter K. Mose]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Thanks for your report. I understand the point you made to the young teacher. A couple years ago I stopped going to presentations that were related to working with kids with autism, because there wasn't enough new information to make it worthwhile. At the ASHA speech and hearing convention there are always a few presentations about music as a treatment tool and music and the brain--so I always try to hit those!

I am quite a big fan of the UI Piano Pedagogy Project!

#2258416 - 04/07/14 10:06 PM Re: MTNA congress in Chicago, IL - March 22-26 [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I forgot to mention the amusing fact that the conference that took over the Marriott after we music teachers departed was "Anxiety Disorders."

#2258424 - 04/07/14 10:21 PM Re: MTNA congress in Chicago, IL - March 22-26 [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
I forgot to mention the amusing fact that the conference that took over the Marriott after we music teachers departed was "Anxiety Disorders."
Did you stay for that one too? smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2258630 - 04/08/14 11:25 AM Re: MTNA congress in Chicago, IL - March 22-26 [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I figured it was probably equally dull. But the catered food looked better.

#2258742 - 04/08/14 04:07 PM Re: MTNA congress in Chicago, IL - March 22-26 [Re: Peter K. Mose]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Peter, thanks for the fine wrap up. Like you, I find attending these MTNA conferences not worth doing so on an annual basis. The National Conference on Keyboard Pedagogy is held every other year. Personally, the only conference I really got excited about was the World Piano Pedagogy Conference. Presenters were primarily from conservatories around the world, it was varied enough to suit many different styles of teaching and interests, but the sinking US economy took its toll and the Conference is no more.

#2260818 - 04/12/14 07:24 PM Re: MTNA congress in Chicago, IL - March 22-26 [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the report! The last one I attended was in NYC, so I think next year I'll try to attend in Vegas.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, Alex1, 39 invisible), 1702 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156068 Topics
2291865 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me some Shostakovich
by TwoSnowflakes
07/22/14 07:43 PM
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
07/22/14 05:05 PM
Hard Starting Intermediate
by frankeric
07/22/14 04:48 PM
And what about this one?
by leel
07/22/14 04:23 PM
No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
by Delphian2001
07/22/14 04:20 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission