2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
If you aren't familiar with this wonderful series of recordings of repertory staples from the U of Iowa piano faculty, you should be. The project aims to post YouTube videos of all pieces from the standard piano rep, and thousands are up now under the UIPianoPed label.

My current problem is that there are so many videos up now that I'm having trouble finding some that I suspect are there. YouTube's search function doesn't help much. It's easy to get a list of all the titles, but there appears to be no organization to the list -- so it's like entering a library where all the books are arranged according to size.

It's probably right there and I'm just missing it, but does anyone know of a catalog of the UIPianoPed works that organizes the recordings in some logical way and allows easy access to whatever has been posted?

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
I'd be interested in this too. I've seen some of the videos, but there doesn't seem to be a text listing of them anywhere.

The videos seem to be organized in playlists by levels, e.g. Level C1, Level B2. Are these levels unique to the U of Iowa? If so, what do they mean?

They've included LOTS of pieces/videos at each level. If you access the playlist for a level, you get all the videos in that level. Too many to search or browse.

I'd find these videos very helpful if I could access them readily.

C
C
I don't know if there is a catalog, but I'd use Youtube's search keywords within the channel search.

From https://www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed/featured, click the search icon, to the right of the "About" word.

Then to search for a specific word or phrase in a title, type "intitle:XYZ", without a space after the ":".

For example, "intitle:Burgmuller".

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I think Carlos is on the right track. But Jason Sifford - one of the two people attempting to record this overwhelming body of 9000 piano pieces - is our very own moderator, who goes by the name Kreisler. Maybe he'll show up to explain more.

When I heard him talk about this project last month at the MTNA convention in Chicago, he and his partner in crime Alan Huckleberry explained that the Iowa Music Teacher Assn. syllabus was behind the organizing and levelling (though I have trouble imagining a syllabus of 9,000 pieces!).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I think Carlos is on the right track. But Jason Sifford - one of the two people attempting to record this overwhelming body of 9000 piano pieces - is our very own moderator, who goes by the name Kreisler. Maybe he'll show up to explain more.

When I heard him talk about this project last month at the MTNA convention in Chicago, he and his partner in crime Alan Huckleberry explained that the Iowa Music Teacher Assn. syllabus was behind the organizing and levelling (though I have trouble imagining a syllabus of 9,000 pieces!).

It's an amazingly valuable resource; I've very grateful that they have undertaken it!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
I think Carlos' approach works when you know what you're looking for. For example, you're looking for a particular piece or all the pieces by a particular composer.

I'd be interested in a catalog that would help me browse when I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

For example, if I think my skill is at about Iowa's level C2, I'd like to be able to "shop" for a piece at that level to work on as my next project. I'd like to see a simple text listing of all the C2 pieces, and then pick a few videos to watch.

Currently, I can see all the videos (previews) at a particular level. Some levels only, though. That info seems to be stored outside of YouTube. Trouble is, it takes forever to load and you have to page through it.

For example, here's the link I have to the C2 playlist, which has 211 videos:

http://shelf3d.com/Search/IMTA%2BLevel%2BC2%2BPlayListIDPLB17AF034189C4569

I confess I don't know how I stumbled onto that link.

You can see it starts with a bunch of pieces by Ferdinand Beyer, a composer I had never heard of. (My bad!) So browsing would expose me to more pieces than would searching for a specific piece/composer.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Carlos is right - you have to use the channel search feature. Go to the channel at youtube.com/uipianoped and click on the little magnifying glass.

To bring up a level playlist, search for "imta level" - you'll get several playlists by level.

FYI - the Iowa Leveling is roughly as follows:

Level A - Elementary-Late Elementary (RCM 1)
Level B - Late Elementary-Early Intermediate (RCM 2-3)
Level C - Intermediate (RCM 3-4)
Level D - Late Intermediate-Early Advanced (RCM 5-8)

(This is all off the top of my head, I'm sure there's plenty of room for argument since there are great differences in what one considers "Elementary", etc...)

Within the levels, the number designations are chronological. B1 is early (baroque), B2 is Classical/Romantic, and B3 is modern/contemporary. This is on a piece by piece basis, so a modern composer writing in a romantic style (like Rollin or Rocherolle) might be listed in D2, while their more modern works would be listed in D3.

I'll check back later today to answer any other questions people might have.

Thanks for watching, all!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Carlos is right - you have to use the channel search feature. Go to the channel at youtube.com/uipianoped and click on the little magnifying glass.

To bring up a level playlist, search for "imta level" - you'll get several playlists by level.

FYI - the Iowa Leveling is roughly as follows:

Level A - Elementary-Late Elementary (RCM 1)
Level B - Late Elementary-Early Intermediate (RCM 2-3)
Level C - Intermediate (RCM 3-4)
Level D - Late Intermediate-Early Advanced (RCM 5-8)

(This is all off the top of my head, I'm sure there's plenty of room for argument since there are great differences in what one considers "Elementary", etc...)

Within the levels, the number designations are chronological. B1 is early (baroque), B2 is Classical/Romantic, and B3 is modern/contemporary. This is on a piece by piece basis, so a modern composer writing in a romantic style (like Rollin or Rocherolle) might be listed in D2, while their more modern works would be listed in D3.

I'll check back later today to answer any other questions people might have.

Thanks for watching, all!

I tried this, and it worked great! Thanks very much for the search info, and for explaining the level designations.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just posting another Thank YOU for this amazing resource! It has helped my students so much!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Thank you so much!!! I use it since, I think, almost one year now. Great work!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission