Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2260978 - 04/13/14 09:19 AM Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos?
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
If you aren't familiar with this wonderful series of recordings of repertory staples from the U of Iowa piano faculty, you should be. The project aims to post YouTube videos of all pieces from the standard piano rep, and thousands are up now under the UIPianoPed label.

My current problem is that there are so many videos up now that I'm having trouble finding some that I suspect are there. YouTube's search function doesn't help much. It's easy to get a list of all the titles, but there appears to be no organization to the list -- so it's like entering a library where all the books are arranged according to size.

It's probably right there and I'm just missing it, but does anyone know of a catalog of the UIPianoPed works that organizes the recordings in some logical way and allows easy access to whatever has been posted?

Thanks!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2260989 - 04/13/14 09:51 AM Re: Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos? [Re: ClsscLib]
BrainCramp Offline

Loc: USA
I'd be interested in this too. I've seen some of the videos, but there doesn't seem to be a text listing of them anywhere.

The videos seem to be organized in playlists by levels, e.g. Level C1, Level B2. Are these levels unique to the U of Iowa? If so, what do they mean?

They've included LOTS of pieces/videos at each level. If you access the playlist for a level, you get all the videos in that level. Too many to search or browse.

I'd find these videos very helpful if I could access them readily.

#2261003 - 04/13/14 10:55 AM Re: Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos? [Re: BrainCramp]
carlos88 Online   content

Loc: Colorado
I don't know if there is a catalog, but I'd use Youtube's search keywords within the channel search.

From https://www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed/featured, click the search icon, to the right of the "About" word.

Then to search for a specific word or phrase in a title, type "intitle:XYZ", without a space after the ":".

For example, "intitle:Burgmuller".

#2261018 - 04/13/14 11:37 AM Re: Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos? [Re: ClsscLib]
Peter K. Mose Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I think Carlos is on the right track. But Jason Sifford - one of the two people attempting to record this overwhelming body of 9000 piano pieces - is our very own moderator, who goes by the name Kreisler. Maybe he'll show up to explain more.

When I heard him talk about this project last month at the MTNA convention in Chicago, he and his partner in crime Alan Huckleberry explained that the Iowa Music Teacher Assn. syllabus was behind the organizing and levelling (though I have trouble imagining a syllabus of 9,000 pieces!).

#2261023 - 04/13/14 11:57 AM Re: Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
I think Carlos is on the right track. But Jason Sifford - one of the two people attempting to record this overwhelming body of 9000 piano pieces - is our very own moderator, who goes by the name Kreisler. Maybe he'll show up to explain more.

When I heard him talk about this project last month at the MTNA convention in Chicago, he and his partner in crime Alan Huckleberry explained that the Iowa Music Teacher Assn. syllabus was behind the organizing and levelling (though I have trouble imagining a syllabus of 9,000 pieces!).

It's an amazingly valuable resource; I've very grateful that they have undertaken it!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2261025 - 04/13/14 12:05 PM Re: Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos? [Re: ClsscLib]
BrainCramp Offline

I think Carlos' approach works when you know what you're looking for. For example, you're looking for a particular piece or all the pieces by a particular composer.

I'd be interested in a catalog that would help me browse when I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

For example, if I think my skill is at about Iowa's level C2, I'd like to be able to "shop" for a piece at that level to work on as my next project. I'd like to see a simple text listing of all the C2 pieces, and then pick a few videos to watch.

Currently, I can see all the videos (previews) at a particular level. Some levels only, though. That info seems to be stored outside of YouTube. Trouble is, it takes forever to load and you have to page through it.

For example, here's the link I have to the C2 playlist, which has 211 videos:

http://shelf3d.com/Search/IMTA%2BLevel%2BC2%2BPlayListIDPLB17AF034189C4569

I confess I don't know how I stumbled onto that link.

You can see it starts with a bunch of pieces by Ferdinand Beyer, a composer I had never heard of. (My bad!) So browsing would expose me to more pieces than would searching for a specific piece/composer.

#2261034 - 04/13/14 12:31 PM Re: Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos? [Re: ClsscLib]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Carlos is right - you have to use the channel search feature. Go to the channel at youtube.com/uipianoped and click on the little magnifying glass.

To bring up a level playlist, search for "imta level" - you'll get several playlists by level.

FYI - the Iowa Leveling is roughly as follows:

Level A - Elementary-Late Elementary (RCM 1)
Level B - Late Elementary-Early Intermediate (RCM 2-3)
Level C - Intermediate (RCM 3-4)
Level D - Late Intermediate-Early Advanced (RCM 5-8)

(This is all off the top of my head, I'm sure there's plenty of room for argument since there are great differences in what one considers "Elementary", etc...)

Within the levels, the number designations are chronological. B1 is early (baroque), B2 is Classical/Romantic, and B3 is modern/contemporary. This is on a piece by piece basis, so a modern composer writing in a romantic style (like Rollin or Rocherolle) might be listed in D2, while their more modern works would be listed in D3.

I'll check back later today to answer any other questions people might have.

Thanks for watching, all!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2261039 - 04/13/14 12:51 PM Re: Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos? [Re: Kreisler]
BrainCramp Offline

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
Carlos is right - you have to use the channel search feature. Go to the channel at youtube.com/uipianoped and click on the little magnifying glass.

To bring up a level playlist, search for "imta level" - you'll get several playlists by level.

FYI - the Iowa Leveling is roughly as follows:

Level A - Elementary-Late Elementary (RCM 1)
Level B - Late Elementary-Early Intermediate (RCM 2-3)
Level C - Intermediate (RCM 3-4)
Level D - Late Intermediate-Early Advanced (RCM 5-8)

(This is all off the top of my head, I'm sure there's plenty of room for argument since there are great differences in what one considers "Elementary", etc...)

Within the levels, the number designations are chronological. B1 is early (baroque), B2 is Classical/Romantic, and B3 is modern/contemporary. This is on a piece by piece basis, so a modern composer writing in a romantic style (like Rollin or Rocherolle) might be listed in D2, while their more modern works would be listed in D3.

I'll check back later today to answer any other questions people might have.

Thanks for watching, all!

I tried this, and it worked great! Thanks very much for the search info, and for explaining the level designations.

#2262212 - 04/15/14 03:25 PM Re: Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos? [Re: ClsscLib]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just posting another Thank YOU for this amazing resource! It has helped my students so much!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#2262696 - 04/16/14 05:20 PM Re: Searching U Iowa Piano Pedagogy Videos? [Re: Kreisler]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
Thank you so much!!! I use it since, I think, almost one year now. Great work!
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Yesterday at 06:56 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (AmateurBob, Alan F, anamnesis, accordeur, 22 invisible), 1246 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325896 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission