2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2260886 04/13/14 12:24 AM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Are there any left-handed pianists here? What was it like learning to play? And do you feel like it has held you back in any way?

JoelW #2260900 04/13/14 02:08 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Yes. I didn't notice anything different. You have to learn to use both hands either way.

Poetry is rhythm
JoelW #2260907 04/13/14 03:14 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lefty here. Well, fairly ambidextrous, but I prefer to write with my left hand.

I don't think it's held me back in any way. If anything, I think it might be beneficial: the right hand naturally gets so much training that maybe it's nice that things come easier to my left anyway. Might keep things more balanced!

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking with it!

I will say that this year, in which I returned to piano, I had a LOT of tension to work out as you might imagine. The fluidity came back to my left arm pretty quickly but I'm fighting with my right. It's not that it isn't working at all, but the whole arm movement and wrist suppleness is coming more slowly. Without intense concentration, I paste my elbow to my side and get quite stiff in my wrist and shoulder. Even when it would be obvious to do something different, I don't do it. That was true of both arms in the first few months, but now, coming up on a year of a lot of work and teacher correction, the left now finds its way without me having to think too hard about it anymore.

There's just a difference in overall fluidity, and the left ended up being more "teachable" than the right. My left arm naturally absorbs corrections easier. What's helping is concentrating really hard to get my right arm to learn from my left now that the left is moving nicely. It's coming along, but the difference is visible. My teacher often comments on how the left arm has gained back its freedom of movement but the right arm seems to be struggling.

Anyway, I think it's a good thing that the right hand just naturally got more overall exposure to everything when I was growing up. If it were the other way around, I suspect there would be a larger problem.

JoelW #2260922 04/13/14 04:11 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Most left-handed people have to learn to deal with living in a right-handed world anyway, and piano is fairly benign compared to other things (like the fact that nearly all scissors are right-handed).

Poetry is rhythm
JoelW #2260925 04/13/14 04:33 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Other than when playing works for LH alone, of which there are several, many commissioned by Paul Wittgenstein (- I don't know of any piano works for RH only, which surely can't be PC wink ), I don't think that being a southpaw makes much difference. Though I believe there have been pianos made with reversed keyboard, just like guitars, specifically for lefties who prefer playing tunes with LH......

However, being ambidextrous might be useful when playing the music of the ambidextrous Gabriel Fauré, whose unique writing style (where melody, counter-melody and accompanimental figuration frequently passes back & forth between the hands) seems to show his lack of hand preference.

If music be the food of love, play on!
JoelW #2261054 04/13/14 01:47 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
We are absolutely at a disadvantage as far as acquiring and performing with the right hand. We simply cannot process as much information in the right hand, and we have less control over it. Not only is the ability in our right hand maximally limited, but it's also more difficult to make things we already know malleable.

Luckily, we also have a slight advantage with acquiring and performing with the left hand (obviously); the only problem is that the right hand is usually responsible for more demanding play.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2261089 04/13/14 02:58 PM
V
V
Originally Posted by Atrys
We are absolutely at a disadvantage as far as acquiring and performing with the right hand. We simply cannot process as much information in the right hand, and we have less control over it. Not only is the ability in our right hand maximally limited, but it's also more difficult to make things we already know malleable.

Luckily, we also have a slight advantage with acquiring and performing with the left hand (obviously); the only problem is that the right hand is usually responsible for more demanding play.

I don't think being a lefty has put me "at a disadvantage". In fact, my right hand technique is better than my left hand technique.

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Verbum mirabilis

I don't think being a lefty has put me "at a disadvantage".

Whether you "think" so or not doesn't have any bearing on its truth. Having a left hand that is dominant over your right means you (we) have a right hand that cannot perform at the same ability as the left hand.

In fact, my right hand technique is better than my left hand technique.

There are several reasons why you might think this. If it actually does happen to be true, you may not actually be left-handed, but instead mixed-handed (which is apart from being ambidextrous). It may imply mixed-handedness, but doesn't guarantee it.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2261123 04/13/14 04:35 PM
V
V

Whether you "think" so or not doesn't have any bearing on its truth. Having a left hand that is dominant over your right means you (we) have a right hand that cannot perform at the same ability as the left hand.

I don't merely think so. I have experience on it (see below). Having a dominant left hand might mean that naturally the right hand couldn't perform at the same level as the left hand. However, the right hand gets trained more than the left hand which can make the right hand stronger compared to the left hand.

In fact, my right hand technique is better than my left hand technique.

There are several reasons why you might think this. If it actually does happen to be true, you may not actually be left-handed, but instead mixed-handed (which is apart from being ambidextrous). It may imply mixed-handedness, but doesn't guarantee it.

I've certainly had difficulties in certain passages where the hands have to play parallel runs, and the weaker hand in these passages certainly was the left hand. Whether that's mixed-handedness, I don't know. I do consider myself left-handed.

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

I don't think being a lefty has put me "at a disadvantage". In fact, my right hand technique is better than my left hand technique.

+1.

As a lefty myself, I have never even thought twice about it.

Jason
JoelW #2261189 04/13/14 07:04 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I couldn't imagine playing passages from, say, Chopin 54 with my left hand. Yikes.

Atrys #2261200 04/13/14 07:36 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

I'd really be interested in why you think this. Did you just 'hear it somewhere', or do you have some research or something real?

Poetry is rhythm
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by phantomFive

I'd really be interested in why you think this.

I don't just "think" it; it's a fact. A person cannot process as much information coming from and going to their non-dominant hand as they can with their dominant hand.

Anyone thinking that they are not affected by it are lying to themselves, partly because they don't know what it's like to be right-dominant and therefore don't know what that would feel like.

It doesn't matter if you "don't feel affected" by being a lefty; it does affect you.

R. W. Emerson
JoelW #2261238 04/13/14 08:48 PM
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
What does handedness mean to you then, Atrys? Bear in mind that definitions differ; I've, in the past, known someone who wrote with their left hand but used their right, primarily, for everything else...I mean, um, some here would define that as left-handedness, some would define it as a mix, some, even, would class it as being ambidextrous. It doesn't matter what the technical definition is, people's opinions *of* that definition will vary. If left-handedness were more common, one would say being right-handed does affect you...um...the fact of the matter is that everything affects everything; you wouldn't say the emotions you have affect you, or your genetic structure affects you, because it'd be redundant. Sorry...that's just how I feel...
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
FSO #2261242 04/13/14 08:53 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FSO
What does handedness mean to you then, Atrys?

It means to me what the definition of handedness says.

Originally Posted by FSO

It doesn't matter what the technical definition is, people's opinions *of* that definition will vary.

It does matter what the "technical" definition is. A person assuming their own definition of the term is not reflective of reality. Opinions are apart from objective truth; to operate as if one's uneducated opinion is the objective truth is unequivocally ignorance in its finest form.

An unfounded belief in some conclusion does not warrant any amount of truth, and should not be taken seriously. Thankfully and fortunately, that's not how science works.

R. W. Emerson
JoelW #2261252 04/13/14 09:21 PM
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I agree with everything you said, Atrys. Unfortunately, ignorance is endemic and unavoidable. If one were to operate as if ignorance was something to be deplored one would be deluding oneself as to one's own ignorance. Um...the technical definition of words has changed over the years; as such, *all* notions of information and intelligence based on lexical semantics is relative to the time *and* locale in which it is said...by which, obviously, that one believes a word to mean X, when it is agreed globally to mean Y, does *not* mean that one's belief is wrong. I mean, um, in short; you may not like the notion of relativity, but it applies...I think wink Oh, and science "works" on inductive logic. Induction is a form of guesswork. There is a half-life of information which applies to each genre of information. For instance, the half-life of surgical information is about 45 years; that is to say, these medical facts, scientific "facts", are 50% likely to be incorrect in 45 years. Once again, um, I don't mind that that's how it is, it's useful to get by on, but to come to the conclusion that science can tell the truth of any matter is short-sighted and, frankly, as ignorant, though not as unintelligent, as understanding nothing at all; neither reveal truth. Um...in my opinion. You'll disagree, of course, but that's okay too ^_^
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
FSO #2261254 04/13/14 09:26 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FSO
but to come to the conclusion that science can tell the truth of any matter is short-sighted and, frankly, as ignorant, though not as unintelligent, as understanding nothing at all

What? No one here is claiming that science has an answer to everything. The claim is that science reflects our current state of knowledge and explanation of our world. Beliefs held that are outside of this body must be proven.

You don't really seem to have a point, and I'm afraid this is deviating (and getting quite meta) from the OP.

Last edited by Atrys; 04/13/14 09:27 PM.

R. W. Emerson
JoelW #2261256 04/13/14 09:33 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
FSO, we all know what we mean by handedness and you know it.

Atrys #2261258 04/13/14 09:44 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

I'd really be interested in why you think this.

I don't just "think" it; it's a fact. A person cannot process as much information coming from and going to their non-dominant hand as they can with their dominant hand.

Right right, so how do you know this fact?

Poetry is rhythm
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Right right, so how do you know this fact?

A 2xx-level psychology course that I took last year.

R. W. Emerson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission