Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2261113 - 04/13/14 04:11 PM How to improve Sight reading
Lily33 Offline

My daughter started to learn piano at 5 and half year old, after three years, she still make mistakes on reading music note,and she read very slowly for each new music piece that she starts. This frustrate me and her teacher very much. I want to get her up to speed, I don't know what kind of exercise or books that she should do to improve her sight reading skill. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2261172 - 04/13/14 06:34 PM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: Lily33]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Does she practice sight reading every day? Does the teacher cover sight reading during lessons?

I have one student who was SO BAD at sight reading, I spend 2/3 of the lesson on nothing but rhythm, note reading, and sight reading examples. Most kids who cannot sight read also have rhythm problems. It took me about 8 months of intensive work on sight reading, and we're not out of the woods yet!

Reading the letter name of each note is just one aspect of sight reading. There's rhythm, fingering, and coordination between hands. There is a lot of multitasking involved.

Believe it or not, math (fractions, proportions) is also intrinsic to sight reading. Poor sight readers are likely to be really bad at math, too.

#2261218 - 04/13/14 08:12 PM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: Lily33]
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I find sight reading issues amusing. Don't get me wrong. Sight reading is most definitely NOT an easy skill to master. I just happen to have a kid who was less interesting in polishing because his ability to read was so … polished. We have the finishing issue to deal with!

AZN is quite right. If your child is not an effective reader, then the teacher will need to work on that skill by devoting more of the lesson and practice time to sight reading situations. It is indeed a multitasking skill, and the teacher has to make this really hard thing into a fun process by starting simple so success is easier to grasp.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2261244 - 04/13/14 08:56 PM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: Lily33]
hreichgott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Frequent reading at a level that is currently easy for the student to sight-read. This will probably be substantially easier than her repertoire playing level.
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2261426 - 04/14/14 06:46 AM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: AZNpiano]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

Believe it or not, math (fractions, proportions) is also intrinsic to sight reading. Poor sight readers are likely to be really bad at math, too.

That is very interesting! I find sight reading really hard and I am not good at maths at all!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2261431 - 04/14/14 06:59 AM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: LarryShone]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: LarryShone
That is very interesting! I find sight reading really hard and I am not good at maths at all!
And I am not very good at maths either, but I'm an excellent sight reader, so don't let it be some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy for you. smile

#2261457 - 04/14/14 08:16 AM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: hreichgott]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: hreichgott
Frequent reading at a level that is currently easy for the student to sight-read. This will probably be substantially easier than her repertoire playing level.

And an 8 year old may not have a very high repertoire playing level.

One of the ways to get your sight reading level higher is to get your repertoire level higher.

Before that, doing a lot of sight reading proactice may just be frustrating.

#2261485 - 04/14/14 09:52 AM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: currawong]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
And I am not very good at maths either, but I'm an excellent sight reader, so don't let it be some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy for you. smile

I've always seriously struggled with sight reading. I know how the system works, I understand the process and have even written a small piece years ago. But looking at a piece of sheet music is like looking at a foreign manuscript. It just doesn't go in. And it annoys me, because I'm missing out!

#2261547 - 04/14/14 12:11 PM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: currawong]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: currawong

And I am good at both. It seems this is somewhat random. grin

Polyphonist

#2261599 - 04/14/14 01:52 PM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: Lily33]
kck Offline

What helped my son over here was just working slowly through a series of books designed just for sight reading, starting very simple and working our way up. I think more aural learners tend to remember notes fast and so they never need to get very good at sight reading. So having something new to read every day or 2 is really necessary, and polishing repertoire pieces won't necessarily improve reading ability. We didn't even necessarily spend much lesson time on it.

A couple series that worked well here
https://www.mnmusicteachers.com/store-category/3

(this is book 1 of 11 of this series)
http://bookstore.musicdevelopmentprogram.org/books/book-1.html

ETA - I'm not sure I believe the sight reading strength = math strength. My son is 3-4 years accelerated in math at age 13 with little effort, but did need to work at sight reading. He is a strong pianist for age (although not necessarily the most self motivated and focused). I have multiple tech degrees, including a BS in math FTR.

Edited by kck (04/14/14 01:54 PM)

#2261954 - 04/15/14 05:49 AM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: Lily33]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've found an app on my phone that displays an octave below a stave. The stave has a note on it and you have to press the corresponding key. Its something I can do each day so it could prove useful!

#2262493 - 04/16/14 07:56 AM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: Lily33]
noobpianist90 Online   content

Loc: India
Here you go:

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,11490.0.html

That's a treasure trove of sight reading information. I have been following it for a month now and I've already begun to see huge improvements.

Edited by noobpianist90 (04/16/14 01:43 PM)

#2262600 - 04/16/14 01:22 PM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: Lily33]
Tmoose Offline

Loc: Washington State
Hi All - I'm a self-teaching (for the moment) adult, sort-of-intermediate level, but have been struggling with sight-reading for years. Yes, it would be helpful to have a teacher to motivate me, but I've really, consciously tried to work on it and have made progress, but frustratingly slowly.

One thing that seems to help (me) is to listen to a recording of a piece that's not too complex while reading along with the score (and even some that are way above my level). It helps me to associate the visual patterns of rhythm, relative note value/position and movement within the clefs with the associated sounds and feel of the piece. I was away from my piano for several years and did this when possible and when I came back to actual playing my reading seemed to have improved, and continues to do so (albeit still slowly!).

I haven't heard of anyone using or mentioning this 'technique' before, but FWIW, there's my 2 cents!
1906 Steinway B (#124401)

#2262912 - 04/17/14 03:13 AM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: LarryShone]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I've found an app on my phone that displays an octave below a stave. The stave has a note on it and you have to press the corresponding key. Its something I can do each day so it could prove useful!

Several of my students are doing something similar, and it has really helped them with sight reading.

But it has to be done consistently and conscientiously. Anything haphazard or off-and-on is not going to be useful. Do these exercises mindfully and purposefully, focusing on one aspect of notes (bass clef only, inner ledger lines, outer ledger lines, etc.).

#2262960 - 04/17/14 08:13 AM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: AZNpiano]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA

Several of my students are doing something similar, and it has really helped them with sight reading.

But it has to be done consistently and conscientiously. Anything haphazard or off-and-on is not going to be useful. Do these exercises mindfully and purposefully, focusing on one aspect of notes (bass clef only, inner ledger lines, outer ledger lines, etc.).

Isn't this working on one specific skill, keyboard geography?

That's part of sightreading, and it might be a large part in the very beginning.

But I think it's a very small part of advanced sightreading.

#2263301 - 04/18/14 01:08 AM Re: How to improve Sight reading [Re: Lily33]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Just the words "sight reading" used to put me into a cold sweat when I was a student. My teacher knew it too, so she would play duets with me. Not that I enjoyed that. I think it frustrated her more than me! grin

But I had a series of books specifically for sight reading called "Sight Reading & ear tests, by Elsie Bennett & Hilda Capp. Another series, the "Four Star" sight reading & ear tests by Boris Berlin and Andrew Markow. These books were a God send for me. Book 1 - 10. Book 1 would be with Grade 1.

So just to add here, I think when you sight read "NEVER" look at your hands. Pretend you are blind and using your fingers like you are feeling braille! Like riding a bike, you have to look straight ahead or you'll hit a car. Look only straight at the music. Work thru intervals and note identification.

Go slow, and if you come across a note you don't know, then circle it and learn it. Knowing half your notes is not going to cut it. Knowing all your notes is a must for sight reading! This includes the leger line note! Which we seem to neglect for some reason.

Sight reading practice should always be done at our lesson and absolutely every day at home!

So try doing duets.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Diane... (04/18/14 01:25 AM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (36251, accordeur, AndresD, ando, 43 invisible), 1558 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156123 Topics
2292633 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
25 minutes 16 seconds ago
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
28 minutes 13 seconds ago
Tag!
by Axtremus
28 minutes 45 seconds ago
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
36 minutes 23 seconds ago
UVI has a sale on 5 grand piano sounds
by Morodiene
50 minutes 18 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission