Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2286257 - 06/05/14 05:57 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 27Jan]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
The thing I find baffling about Roland's approach to this problem is why Roland didn't just put a different socket in when they did the recall repair???

I mean, just by looking at the socket housing on Marko's picture above, it looks pretty roomy there - by electronics standards. Surely there's a way to substitute a different plug and socket and make the electrical connections. Why is that any more difficult than hardwiring a power chord in there and probably putting a new plate/surround for the chord? They could just go to the standard C5/C6 socket and leave the ground wire off it (or connect it, whatever) It doesn't require much engineering at all. It's the same socket they used, but with the ground pin. That one definitely can't be plugged into the XLR socket because of the ground pin.

Here you go Roland, I'll do the first bit for you:

There's enough room for that one. Why can't you use that?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2286258 - 06/05/14 05:58 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 36251]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Jay Roland

Here is the solution that we have provided our retailers and End Users.

I have to go to work now.

Jay

That's not going to win any design contests. It looks like it's sticking out a mile, though I suppose there is enough slack to unplug it for transport. But, as others have noted, placing the plug in the travel case along with the DP seems like asking for scratches and such.

#2286260 - 06/05/14 06:02 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: ando]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando
The thing I find baffling about Roland's approach to this problem is why Roland didn't just put a different socket in when they did the recall repair???

That would require opening the case, unsoldering, soldering, etc. which would cost serious money and would likely necessitate retesting to make sure the unit was OK post surgery. What they are doing instead is slapping a sticker on it, and pulling one screw to install a cable restraint. Much simpler and much less risky (as well as much uglier much less practical for the end user). They may be implementing a better fix into the RD800 manufacturing line?

#2286265 - 06/05/14 06:11 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: Jay Roland]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Jay

With all due respect, Jay, that's is a seriously terrible solution. It's not your fault but that would be hugely inconvenient to anybody who has to move their keyboard more than a few times a year. Not only that, it is quite clearly reversible so it doesn't even necessarily achieve the safety objectives your legal team was after. I can imagine people getting sick of the cord sticking out so they just cut it free of its tether and just use the plug like it was originally intended.

#2286267 - 06/05/14 06:16 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: dewster]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster

That would require opening the case, unsoldering, soldering, etc. which would cost serious money and would likely necessitate retesting to make sure the unit was OK post surgery.

I assumed they were opening the pianos up and soldering in power leads! I didn't realise it was such a cheap-ass, "we are doing this because our lawyers told us to" type of repair.

Quote:
What they are doing instead is slapping a sticker on it, and pulling one screw to install a cable restraint.

And that's precisely why people will be undoing this restraint and using the cable like it was originally intended. That would certainly be one of the first things I'd do if I were stuck with this problem.

Quote:
They may be implementing a better fix into the RD800 manufacturing line?
I would assume so. You can't imagine them wanting this eyesore to be hounding them for the next 3 years of the product's life.

#2286269 - 06/05/14 06:21 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: ando]
bgiles Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston

2 pin in US. looks exactly like this

Thanks Marko, it's the wall plug on the right that I was wondering about, far more compact than the UK 3 pin plug we have, which has no chance of being accommodated within the angle at the back.

I think dewster is right, the existing socket is most like soldered straight onto the power PCB, which is probably secured using the 4 screws you see.

...I can imagine people getting sick of the cord sticking out so they just cut it free of its tether and just use the plug like it was originally intended.

That would release Roland of any responsibility if someone plugged the power lead into the XLR, as the user will have removed the safety feature.

#2286288 - 06/05/14 07:01 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: bgiles]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bgiles

I think dewster is right, the existing socket is most like soldered straight onto the power PCB, which is probably secured using the 4 screws you see.

Even so, seems to me that Roland should take the hit and get this repair done.

Quote:

...I can imagine people getting sick of the cord sticking out so they just cut it free of its tether and just use the plug like it was originally intended.

That would release Roland of any responsibility if someone plugged the power lead into the XLR, as the user will have removed the safety feature.

It would, but doesn't that just highlight what a ridiculous exercise this has all been? Who wouldn't remove the safety feature? Probably only somebody who keeps it at home all the time. ie. the exact person who would never be removing/inserting the plug all the time.

This whole situation is laughable.

#2286299 - 06/05/14 07:23 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: dewster]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jay

That's not going to win any design contests. It looks like it's sticking out a mile, though I suppose there is enough slack to unplug it for transport. But, as others have noted, placing the plug in the travel case along with the DP seems like asking for scratches and such.
I'm fascinated when i imagine what it must of been like, in the boardroom of Roland, as great ideas, like the one they decided on, were flowing back and forth in Japanese. Where's the secret tapes?

#2286324 - 06/05/14 08:46 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 27Jan]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Okay, if I'm reading this right, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this. It is cheap and easy for Roland to implement; it serves the intended purpose of preventing inadvertent cross-plugging; and it is easily un-doable for those who are bothered by it and willing to trust themselves to put the right plugs in the right places. Everyone wins. No?

#2286332 - 06/05/14 09:01 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 27Jan]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Totally agree.

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2286346 - 06/05/14 09:37 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: dewster]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.

Jay

There's definitely enough slack to unplug for transport and a ladder tie is provided to wrap the cord up nicely for transport. It's made so the length of the cable will not reach the XLR output.

It's not bad at all really. Way better than it's getting credit for.

Edit: I confirmed with our service manager that in Canada, we would honour a warranty claim for any normal warranty situation except somebody undoing the modification and connecting the AC cable to the XLR Outputs and doing damage as a result of disregarding the warning sticker now affixed above the clamp.

Jay

Edited by Jay Roland (06/05/14 09:40 PM)

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2286355 - 06/05/14 10:21 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 27Jan]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I bet the replacement for the RD300 won't have an umbilical cord. I might also bet that Roland will be rolling out a RD800 mk2 asap.

#2286404 - 06/06/14 12:43 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: Jay Roland]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
. . .

Edit: I confirmed with our service manager that in Canada, we would honour a warranty claim for any normal warranty situation except somebody undoing the modification and connecting the AC cable to the XLR Outputs and doing damage as a result of disregarding the warning sticker now affixed above the clamp.

Jay

That's not bad. Someone who wants to reverse the "fix", can do it, and risk the consequences. Roland won't penalize that choice.

Rather like a car with "stability/ traction control", and a button marked "Race Mode" that turns it off.

. Charles

PS -- this is not a defense of the original design.

#2286427 - 06/06/14 03:13 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: anotherscott]
bgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
Okay, if I'm reading this right, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this. It is cheap and easy for Roland to implement; it serves the intended purpose of preventing inadvertent cross-plugging; and it is easily un-doable for those who are bothered by it and willing to trust themselves to put the right plugs in the right places. Everyone wins. No?

That's why I already have, and other existing owners can, decline to have the modification fitted.

I am happy with the original arrangement, along with the very small inherent risk that went with it, and my original warranty remains intact.

What I objected to was the approach taken by Roland in almost forcing existing owners to adopt the mod, rather than us given a choice, and accepting the responsibility should we not have it fitted.

#2286437 - 06/06/14 04:08 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 27Jan]
phunqe Offline

If they don't have a ground lead, why don't use a C17 connector instead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320).

A fixed cable? Really Roland. What you should do is recall all units and replace the connector completely.

#2286438 - 06/06/14 04:08 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: ando]
Cessquill Offline

Loc: Peterborough, UK

It was not recalled. At least not from customers. They've gone down the route of implementing a solution that can be carried out by the end user.

#2286439 - 06/06/14 04:12 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: phunqe]
Cessquill Offline

Originally Posted By: phunqe
I really don't understand it, if they don't have a ground lead, why didn't they use a C17 connector instead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320).

Whilst a C17 (or more popularly a C14) would be the ideal solution, it likely wouldn't fit into the existing aperture. This would necessitate a significant modification.

#2286440 - 06/06/14 04:14 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: Cessquill]
phunqe Offline

Originally Posted By: Cessquill
Originally Posted By: phunqe
I really don't understand it, if they don't have a ground lead, why didn't they use a C17 connector instead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320).

Whilst a C17 (or more popularly a C14) would be the ideal solution, it likely wouldn't fit into the existing aperture. This would necessitate a significant modification.

I am tempted to say "so?" and that it's their problem.

A fixed cable is not acceptable if you are lugging your stuff around, especially with large plus and case issues.
Just having your keyboard amongst a lot of other equipment makes it shaky when you have to remove it with a cord following.
You detach the power cords and all cables from your equipment, put them all in their cases, then gather up all cords and cables and put them into a separate case.

Sorry for rambling, I just feel the solution is not acceptable (and I don't even own a RD-800, but I know how I would feel if it was the case for my equipment).

#2286463 - 06/06/14 06:55 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 27Jan]
Cessquill Offline

Whilst I agree with you, I feel that this would have made the recall last too long, potentially including top panel replacement/modification, power supply board replacement/modification and power supply mount replacement/modification. Then it would have to go through approval processes and certifications to ensure it wasn't breaching any other safety issues.

As people have mentioned, I'd wager they're working on a new design incorporating maybe a three pin and potentially shifting the socket to the other side. Whether this will be a soft launch that "just happens" in six months (ie, RD-800 rev 1), or a new product, who knows.

Also, as mentioned, XLR bungs might be an option for those that don't want to implement the modification. They won't eradicate the potential of plugging in the wrong socket, but they'll stop blind plugging mistakes.

Something like the Neutrik SCM could be fitted easily...

Or the Neutrik NDM if you don't want something hanging but could probably be lost...

Both are cheap options from Thomann.

By the way, what is the actual implications of plugging the mains into the XLR? Some people have mentioned being fried, but I was under the impression that it causes damage to the board (and not to you).

#2286478 - 06/06/14 07:53 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: Cessquill]
bgiles Offline

Also, as mentioned, XLR bungs might be an option for those that don't want to implement the modification. They won't eradicate the potential of plugging in the wrong socket, but they'll stop blind plugging mistakes.

Totally agree, surely XLR caps or plugs and a warning label should have satisfied the liability aspect of this issue.

The modification currently being offered was conceived by Roland's R&D team in Japan, and for the UK was subsequently authorised by UK Trading Standards, to stop any potential for misconnection and the possibility of electrocution

By the way, what is the actual implications of plugging the mains into the XLR? Some people have mentioned being fried, but I was under the impression that it causes damage to the board (and not to you).

It has been reported that metal parts of the keyboard can become 'live' is the power lead is connected to one of the XLR's.

#2286488 - 06/06/14 08:26 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 27Jan]
phunqe Offline

Plugs would be an option obviously, but I don't think it covers them liability wise, since you would still have to option not to use them.

But in any case, if indeed the case can become "hot", it could potentially kill you if you are standing on grounding material without shoes and/or touching something else.
Personally I think I would always have the awareness of not plugging it wrong, but who knows. You're stressed, late on stage to set up and then wham, without realizing.

Slapping a fixed cord on due do a design error that can potentially cause such severe incidents is, in my opinion, not the right way to approach all those loyal Roland users who lug their stuff around.

#2286497 - 06/06/14 08:45 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 27Jan]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
A solution would be sprung XLR connectors, so a cap is permanently over the XLR input, and moves out of the way (lifting to one side) when you plug an XLR in. That would cover Roland legally and prevent any possible mess-ups on stage, which could cause harm, or damage.

This would be a relatively cheap retrofit for Roland (or their dealers) and would help, not hinder, the user.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2286502 - 06/06/14 09:00 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: toddy]
phunqe Offline

Originally Posted By: toddy
A solution would be sprung XLR connectors, so a cap is permanently over the XLR input, and moves out of the way (lifting to one side) when you plug an XLR in. That would cover Roland legally and prevent any possible mess-ups on stage, which could cause harm, or damage.

This would be a relatively cheap retrofit for Roland (or their dealers) and would help, not hinder, the user.

Yeah, the current two screws (http://www.rolandce.com/mediafiles/images/products/large/RD-800_R_300.jpg) holding the XLR connectors should be able to, if exchanged with slightly longer ones, hold a spring action lid (assuming the spring is rather modest, but you just need the lid to be kept in place really).

#2286512 - 06/06/14 09:21 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: toddy]
bgiles Offline

Already suggested in my post dated 20th May, I even sent this to Roland UK in April...

Soon to be released by Neutrik, the SCCD-W sprung XLR sealing cover.

The XLR's on the RD-800 are at 30mm centres, unfortunately the SCCD-W is 35.7mm wide, so won't quite fit.
However, this is the kind of thing Roland could supply to end users, and if the internal nuts securing the XLR connectors are captive (which I imagine they are), users could retrofit them themselves.

If either attached bungs or sprung covers are used, the the user would physically have to remove the bung or open the cover to make a connection.

This in conjunction with a label would make it the responsibility of the user to get it right.

If the user left the bungs out (not a good idea when transporting the keyboard), then be it on their head.

#2286516 - 06/06/14 09:41 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: 27Jan]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry to repeat an idea you already put forward, bgiles. But I agree with you, anyway, that it would be a neat solution which appears to cover all the problems and would be acceptable - or even a welcome improvement - for users.

I just didn't understand this bit:

If the user left the plugs out (not a good idea when transporting), then be it on their head.

If the sockets are always covered by either a sprung cap or the XLR itself, I don't see there can be any mistakes leading to accidents.

#2286519 - 06/06/14 09:48 AM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: toddy]
bgiles Offline

Toddy,
I'm very happy for anyone to repeat the idea, in the hope the message gets across to Roland.
I'm not here for credit, just want a proper fix to the issue for everyone.

My mistake for not being clear, I would fully endorse the sprung XLR covers idea, no idea why they didn't take it up, maybe manufacturing costs/time, but it would be a proper solution, leaving no risk of inadvertent misconnection.

I just didn't understand this bit:

If the user left the plugs out (not a good idea when transporting), then be it on their head.

If Roland however chose the rubber bungs option, such as the Neutrik SCM as suggested by Cessquill, attached by wires to the keyboard, there would be no manufacturing costs or delays.
So, along with a warning label, the user would be foolish to leave them out for transportation, risking damage to the bungs, and subsequent misconnection, for which Roland can't be held responsible.

I think we all agree that the attached cable fix is a bad idea, so if anyone can come up with a better solution than the sprung XLR covers or plugs, that avoids a recall, and removes the risk, please share it, and then we can present our case to Roland.

#2286596 - 06/06/14 01:01 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: anotherscott]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott

No. Simply undoing this fix opens the door to the very real possibility of frying the DP and/or the player. And now Roland won't cover the damages.

If I owned an RD800 I'd put sprung XLR caps on there and remove this fix if it was previously applied. The sticker showing where to plug in AC is a good idea, but it's way too ugly and way too huge. Roland really should have silk screened indicators on that surface in the first place - angling all the I/O downward without indicators just about guarantees a major grope fest at setup/teardown.

I really wish Roland would stop playing these wacky style games with the RD line. A simple rectangular case gives you I/O on the back you can actually see, facilitates portability, and protects the keys better. Style is fine, in its place, but it shouldn't negatively impact functionality.

#2286649 - 06/06/14 03:20 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: bgiles]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Toddy,
I'm very happy for anyone to repeat the idea, in the hope the message gets across to Roland.
I'm not here for credit, just want a proper fix to the issue for everyone.

I think we all agree that the attached cable fix is a bad idea, so if anyone can come up with a better solution than the sprung XLR covers or plugs, that avoids a recall, and removes the risk, please share it, and then we can present our case to Roland.

Yes to all of that. Thinking about it, if I'm to be honest, I'd probably filed away your post with the sprung cap idea away in my mind. Then a month later, I thought I'd thought of it myself.

This is ALWAYS happening with songs. I'll get a brilliant idea while I'm washing up the dishes. I'll go to record a rudimentary demo. I'll be thinking how very creative I am, and what a good idea it was not to have the dish-washing machine fixed.

Next day, it hits you: it's a virtual carbon copy of Elton John, Paul McCartney, Joni Mitchel or Stevie Wonder....or some lesser known writer, but the same story. Pain in the ass.

#2286704 - 06/06/14 05:37 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: dewster]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
If I owned an RD800 I'd put sprung XLR caps on there...

No you wouldn't! You just wouldn't plug the wrong wire in the wrong bleedin' hole! How about that for a workable solution?

We need a major war or famine or disease or to be attacked by an alien life form. Something actually worth worrying about to distract us from all this irrelevant nonsense.

#2286726 - 06/06/14 06:30 PM Re: Roland RD 800 [Re: EssBrace]
bgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
No you wouldn't! You just wouldn't plug the wrong wire in the wrong bleedin' hole!

Whilst that is true, it doesn't address the objective...

And that is to come up with a proper and acceptable modification that owners would be happy with, rather than the impractical 'permanently attached cable' one that Roland are insisting on fitting to existing and new RD-800's, in order for them to be considered safe, even in the most careless of hands.

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
65 registered (Alan_Dublin, alfredo capurso, 0987654321, Anticlock, 15 invisible), 1019 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327694 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission