Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2257994 - 04/07/14 05:39 AM Young Chang pianos?
Rogas Offline

Greatings!

Anyone out there who has experience with YC or Weber uprights and grands? I am talking about new ones, lets say produced in 2013 or 2014. Any comments about the product range? Quality and etc.. In summary I would really like to read a good and fresh review regarding about YC and Weber.

Edited by Rogas (04/07/14 05:40 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2258025 - 04/07/14 07:38 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Well according to their website they are produced by Hyundai and designed by Fandrich!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2258032 - 04/07/14 08:01 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: LarryShone]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

I played a few brand new ones about a month ago. They seem ok for the money. I liked the Webers better, they are a little more mellow sounding, much better if you have hardwood or plan to put it in a small room. However, I would buy a used Kawai before a new YC or Weber....much better value IMO.

#2258098 - 04/07/14 11:12 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
michaelha Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I played their both YC and Weber baby grands, something like 4'11" or 5'. The dealer also had Hailuns. I liked the Hailuns tone better than both but liked the feel of the YC better. I don't remember how they compare with others in their class.

#2258197 - 04/07/14 02:18 PM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: LarryShone]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: LarryShone
Well according to their website they are produced by Hyundai and designed by Fandrich!

Hyundai builds cars, cargo ships, tankers, High-rise apartment complexes, shopping centers, business centers and a lot of other things. Hyundai also owns a piano company -- Young Chang -- that builds pianos and has done so for several decades.

I redesigned the product line which is a little different than designing the product line.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2258223 - 04/07/14 02:59 PM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
We used to be Young Chang dealers at one time but no longer are.

Whenever a maker brings out many seperate "lines" it can get quickly confusing.
Sometimes even for us dealers - it was for us!

I would recommend to carefully check the specs of each individual piano in each line and go from there.

Variance is also happening within same line - check carefully.

"Variety is the spice of life" - but sometimes it can be a bit confusing...

When picking 'right' model, can be very nice pianos!

Good luck!

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (04/07/14 03:04 PM)

#2258400 - 04/07/14 09:28 PM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Del]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Del
Hyundai builds cars, cargo ships, tankers, High-rise apartment complexes, shopping centers, business centers and a lot of other things.

Got that right !! The formal dining room set that we purchased 25 years ago (and still graces our dining room) was built by Hyundai. grin

#2258537 - 04/08/14 08:17 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
Rogas Offline

Thank you all for your answers!! And there goes another question.. smile What is the difference between Weber W114 and W-114F uprights? It's only the felt, right? So what is the difference between Japan Ambic felt and Royal George felt? What different properties they produce?

#2258611 - 04/08/14 10:48 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Most piano technicians could not answer that question with any authority.

I would not let any technical jargon get in the way. Go experience as many pianos and talk with as many technicians as you can to better educate yourself.

Good luck!

#2258654 - 04/08/14 12:15 PM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
Rogas Offline

Well of course the best way to learn about instrument is to play it. But there also should be SOME theoretical info.

#2258659 - 04/08/14 12:26 PM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Trust in the person your dealing with and musical preference of a piano are IMHO still paramount in the decision making.

Including tone modifications of the instrument, its potential and other possibilities.

I see this is what people are really interested in and that's what counts for them. For everything technical, something else can be said by someone else - and often *is*

Whats technically important and what is simply 'jargon' is a fine line.

Technical knowledge is sometimes abused to hide the more important aspect of a musical instrument: touch and tone!

The masters of technical know how still have to have a pianos that sounds *right* to their customers. It's not 'they' who are in charge to be celebrated heroes - but their customers.

Specs and technical details are fine but need to be shown in a meaningful way. They have to have a 'benefit' that can be shown or detected.

Buying a piano should not become a chemistry or physics course.

It should be the beginning of 'love' for music and an instrument which will be a long time companion for the person choosing it.

If it were otherwise, we would all own same piano.

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (04/08/14 12:31 PM)

#2258892 - 04/08/14 11:11 PM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
Enrico Offline

Loc: NJ
I have sold them for a few years. It is an o.k. Student piano. There are many other good choices and you need to listen and play several pianos to find the ones you like. I agree with one earlier poster who said some manufacturers hide behind lots of tech talk. You need to play them. They were not great sellers for me. Many of the other brands I sold outsold these pianos by a lot. I would say it was always touch and tone that drove customers to other instruments. They were always a little less expensive than other products but most customers preferred to pay a bit more for a better sound and touch. Once again these are not bad pianos, but in my experience and many customers of mine it was not the product of choice when they were presented with other options. Good luck with your choice.
732-777-7381

#2258965 - 04/09/14 04:27 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I think a hailun, feurich or brodmann would be better actually. Young Chang pianos that I have played have ranged from the horrible to the unremarkable.

Brodmann and feurichs have ranged from the decent to the really quite good, punching above their price weight.

#2258984 - 04/09/14 06:15 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: joe80]
Almaviva Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
Joe, Del Fandrich redesigned the Young Chang and Weber piano lines a few years back. The redesigns were phased in between 2011 and 2013.

Were the Young Chang pianos you played the Fandrich designs, or were they the older designs?

#2258987 - 04/09/14 06:25 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

To be honest I've no idea. There are still new young Changs floating around shop floors that are cracking on a bit in years now - some maybe ten years old. I know of one unsold young chang that has been in storage in a shop since 1994!

#2258994 - 04/09/14 06:47 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

I wonder about the components in these cheaper pianos, how much plastic is used in place of wood etc. If i had that kind of money I'd rather spend it on a used piano from a more established make.

Edited by LarryShone (04/09/14 06:48 AM)

#2259150 - 04/09/14 01:47 PM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
Jolly Offline

Loc: Louisiana
The Webers are a good deal more mellow than the YC pianos, at least in the grand, which is where I recently concentrated my efforts.

Shoot me, but I actually preferred the new YC tone. Either piano represents good value. I thought the Y-175 represented the best combination of size, price and musicality...but that's just me.

Either piano line would be a fine addition to one's home.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#2261443 - 04/14/14 07:59 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
Rogas Offline

Thank you all for your replys.

#2261484 - 04/14/14 09:46 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Is Young Chang another example of a stencil brand?

#2261496 - 04/14/14 10:17 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Larry,

No, Young Chang is an actual builder. It is headquartered in South Korea and has a large manufacturing facility in China. The Lyrica, sold by Schmitt Music, and the Cristofori, sold by Jordan Kitts, are stencils of Young Chang. Young Chang also builds the Weber, which many would call a 'stencil' of a very old and respected builder which is now long gone.

Larry, I think the problem you are having is that there are two uses for the term 'stencil.' One usage is that it is nothing more than the name of the "house brand." It is an attempt to create exclusivity for a given store and built by an outside company. That very same piano may be sold, under a different name, at a competitor store across town.

Another use of a stencil is when a company resurrects the name/logo of a long gone company to create the image that the company is still building pianos and that they are the same as the original. Story & Clark was once a well known American builder located in Grand Rapids, MI. It struggled along until the 1980's, with several different owners, and folded at the end of the decade. You can find new Story & Clark pianos available today, but they bear no resemblance to the traditional American S&C pianos. They are an Asian "brand" built by various companies. In this case, it is considered a 'stencil,' a decal on the fallboard, which bears no resemblance to the original designs, whatsoever.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2261499 - 04/14/14 10:21 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]

Larry,

Might I make a suggestion? It might be a good idea to purchase the most recent edition of the "A&D Piano Buyer" by Larry Fine. I would assume that they ship internationally or you might be able to get it through Amazon. It will give you a basic understanding of the general terms and how they are used in the piano market.

#2261500 - 04/14/14 10:21 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ok I think I get. May I use a photography analogy. Samsung make DSLRs. They are actually Pentax cameras, virtually identical, but made cheaper and a samsung badge stuck on the front.
And in the days of film cameras there were certain cheap Nikons and Olympuses etc that were actually made by Cosina and a higher end badge stuck on the front in order to sell them.

Edited by LarryShone (04/14/14 10:23 AM)

#2261504 - 04/14/14 10:35 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]

Well, that one gets a bit confusing when you factor in Asahi Optical and Honeywell and who builds what. I don't know a lot about the current issues of "Pentax." If Samsung is doing nothing more than slapping their name on the camera, it would be a 'stencil.' It does get confusing when you are confronted by "built by" as opposed to "marketed by."

You can see that the whole transition from Asahi, to Hoya, to Ricoh causes a great deal of confusion. It is the same with the "brand names" of various piano builders.

#2261523 - 04/14/14 11:33 AM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
michaelha Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Larry,
Another use of a stencil is when a company resurrects the name/logo of a long gone company to create the image that the company is still building pianos and that they are the same as the original. Story & Clark was once a well known American builder located in Grand Rapids, MI. It struggled along until the 1980's, with several different owners, and folded at the end of the decade. You can find new Story & Clark pianos available today, but they bear no resemblance to the traditional American S&C pianos. They are an Asian "brand" built by various companies. In this case, it is considered a 'stencil,' a decal on the fallboard, which bears no resemblance to the original designs, whatsoever.

This seems to be really common practice with Chinese, Korean and previously Japanese makers. I wonder though, does it really help sell pianos? I guess readers here are more resourceful, know about Larry Fine's book, and can track down the true origins of a stencil to usually to a Chinese company, but I wonder if less resourceful piano shoppers walk into a store, see "Story and Clark" or the 100's of others, and think it's actually the original company and think they bought a piano with all this history and know-how.?

#2261558 - 04/14/14 12:30 PM Re: Young Chang pianos? [Re: Rogas]

Michael,

I believe that it does. It's an old marketing technique which has proven to be successful. There are many shoppers with an Auntie who just loved here 'Such&Such" and will buy on that knowledge/reference alone.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, 42 invisible), 2032 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156067 Topics
2291784 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
And what about this one?
by leel
4 minutes 27 seconds ago
No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
by Delphian2001
8 minutes 14 seconds ago
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
34 minutes 21 seconds ago
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
Today at 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
Today at 01:31 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission