Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2261581 - 04/14/14 01:22 PM People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all.
Svenno Offline

Loc: Estonia
And i don't know why. He isn't on any 'top 10 romantic composer's' lists - but he was a romantic composer, wasn't he? Chopin seems to be the most favoured, and i really like his music too, in fact i can't decide which my all time favorite composer is, Rachmaninoff or Chopin. :p

Can anyone explain what's wrong with Rachmaninoff?

― Plato

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2261584 - 04/14/14 01:27 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Rachmaninoff has never really resonated with me. I much prefer what his French counterparts were doing at the time.

#2261592 - 04/14/14 01:39 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
prout Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Svenno
And i don't know why. He isn't on any 'top 10 romantic composer's' lists - but he was a romantic composer, wasn't he? Chopin seems to be the most favoured, and i really like his music too, in fact i can't decide which my all time favorite composer is, Rachmaninoff or Chopin. :p

Considering Chopin died in 1849 and Rachmaninoff died in 1943, I think they might be from different schools of music. Rach and Fats Waller were contemporaries. Chopin should have been so lucky.

#2261593 - 04/14/14 01:39 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Me neither. I prefer the subtler French music.

#2261594 - 04/14/14 01:42 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
Svenno Offline

Loc: Estonia
Is it true that every pianist in one point has to choose 1 composer in which he/she specializes? I hope it isn't, because i love chopin's solo piano works, but my dream is to one day be able to perform the rach piano concertos.
I don't really know how the repertoire thing works anyway. Is it better if you have a more diverse repertoire, or a repertoire with a more specialized set of composers?

Edited by Svenno (04/14/14 01:43 PM)

― Plato

#2261598 - 04/14/14 01:51 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
I adore Rachmaninov, he's one of my favourites.

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2261614 - 04/14/14 02:33 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
Roland The Beagle Offline

Loc: California
I guess his music can be a bit too emotional. I happen to like passionate music, but you have to be careful not to overdose sometimes! I think its bad to generalize, because I don't know how anyone can't adore this piece for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LRLF3fwDbmU

In 3 minutes he captures practically the entire spectrum of human emotion from joy to despair to joy again.
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach

#2261618 - 04/14/14 02:40 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
The title of this post is a big over-generalization. One 'problem' with Rachmaninoff is that he had to embark on a piano performing career which took him away from composing.

#2261628 - 04/14/14 03:00 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
One problem might be that he wasn't really a romantic composer. He was a young child when virtually all the other romantic composers were old men. Have you looked to see if he's listed on any top 10 20th century composer lists?

#2261654 - 04/14/14 04:22 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Vid]
Eldridge Offline

Loc: New Mexico
And Chopin derived most of his income from another time-consuming activity: teaching.

#2261669 - 04/14/14 05:21 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Roland The Beagle]
prout Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Roland The Beagle
I guess his music can be a bit too emotional. I happen to like passionate music, but you have to be careful not to overdose sometimes! I think its bad to generalize, because I don't know how anyone can't adore this piece for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LRLF3fwDbmU

In 3 minutes he captures practically the entire spectrum of human emotion from joy to despair to joy again.

And so does the pianist. No histrionics there.

#2261672 - 04/14/14 05:28 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Svenno
And i don't know why. He isn't on any 'top 10 romantic composer's' lists - but he was a romantic composer, wasn't he?

There's nothing wrong with Rachmaninov, and he's just as popular as Chopin. In fact, among non-pianists, Chopin doesn't figure highly at all as a Romantic composer.

I'd be very surprised if Rachmaninov isn't on every Top Ten Romantic Composer's list - in fact, I believe Rach 2 was (and still is?) in the top 3 in the UK's Classic FM (the popular classical radio station) listeners' poll, alongside the Bruch Violin Concerto.

He's certainly one of my favourite composers - I'd rather play him than Brahms, for example, and his Prelude in G minor has been in my repertoire ever since I learnt it in my teens.

And Rach 2 and 3 are the two most frequently performed (and popular with the audience) concertos of all time......

#2261677 - 04/14/14 05:44 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
ScriabinAddict Offline

If anything I think Rach is overrated. He's certainly the most played composer of the 20th century, and I think that's kinda unfair. Don't get me wrong, I love his music just as much as everyone else, but there are so many other composers of comparable quality (especially among the late Russian romantics) whose works never see the light of day (possibly because none of them had big American careers or someone like Horowitz promoting their music).

Chopin, on the other hand, I feel is deserving of all of the attention he receives (no matter how tired of his music one gets after a while). I believe I read somewhere that George Sand once said, "There is more music in a single Chopin Prelude than in an entire opera of Meyerbeer" to which I have a hard time disagreeing.

#2261680 - 04/14/14 05:55 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Both Chopin and Rachmaninoff deserve all the attention they get. There are also other Russian Romantics who don't get enough attention.

Polyphonist

#2261690 - 04/14/14 06:20 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: prout]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By: prout
Rach and Fats Waller were contemporaries. Chopin should have been so lucky.

They died about the same time, but Waller was considerably younger (1904 - 1943). Rachmaninoff (1873 - 1943) was closer to Jerome Kern (1885 - 1945) or Scott Joplin (1868 - 1917).

As to the OP's question, I certainly like Rachmaninoff. I'll never be good enough to try playing his music, but I like it.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2261702 - 04/14/14 06:53 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I prefer Scriabin to Rachmaninoff. And I think Horowitz, had he went into composing, would have been a great Russian composer.

Just listen to this beautiful melody by him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMNkmD47j6o&t=12m07s

Not many can write something like that. I personally think it was crafted, but he claims it was improvisation. If that's true, it's a testament to just how great he really was, well beyond his interpretations of other works.

#2261705 - 04/14/14 06:59 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
I don't like Rachmaninoff (and most other Russian music) because I find it to be both superficial and too hard for its worth. The cello sonata is about as far as I'll go in his output.

#2261708 - 04/14/14 07:04 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW
Not many can write something like that. I personally think it was crafted, but he claims it was improvisation.

It was.

Polyphonist

#2261710 - 04/14/14 07:06 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Brendan]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Brendan
I don't like Rachmaninoff (and most other Russian music)

You're trashing quite a huge body of music there. wink

Polyphonist

#2261711 - 04/14/14 07:06 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Not many can write something like that. I personally think it was crafted, but he claims it was improvisation.

It was.

You realize that, given the context, this is not specific enough. grin

#2261712 - 04/14/14 07:07 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It was.

Specific enough?

Polyphonist

#2261714 - 04/14/14 07:09 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

It was.

Specific enough?

Your statement "it was" could apply to two things in my post.

#2261717 - 04/14/14 07:12 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It was.

Specific enough?

Your statement "it was" could apply to two things in my post.

When in doubt, assume the answer applies to the latter question. laugh

I would be surprised if it weren't improvisation.

Polyphonist

#2261718 - 04/14/14 07:13 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Why would you be surprised? What if it was just part of something he composed and was passing of as improvisation for the camera? That's not hard to believe, but I am perfectly willing to believe that he truly was great enough to improvise that. smile

#2261719 - 04/14/14 07:14 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Why would you be surprised? What if it was just part of something he composed and was passing of as improvisation for the camera? That's not hard to believe, but I am perfectly willing to believe that he truly was great enough to improvise that. smile

First of all, why would Horowitz lie about it?

Polyphonist

#2261722 - 04/14/14 07:18 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

He was very needy and craved praise. It wouldn't surprise me that he would pass off some unknown composition of his as improv for the camera. It's not a malicious lie, just a little white one. He's probably not lying, but I wouldn't be surprised. That's all I'm saying.

#2261729 - 04/14/14 07:46 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Polyphonist]
ScriabinAddict Offline

Originally Posted By: Brendan
I don't like Rachmaninoff (and most other Russian music)

You're trashing quite a huge body of music there. wink

He's not really "trashing" anything, he's just saying it's not to his taste. Some people just don't like Russian music (i.e. Schnabel, Toscanini, etc.)

#2261731 - 04/14/14 07:48 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I like Rachmaninoff but I have found that some of his music requires repeated listening to really appreciate. I also think the greatest appreciation for his music comes from playing it yourself. That's when you really hear its beauty. I've sat fumbling at the piano, astonished by the incredible sounds he coaxed from the instrument, even as I played it poorly.

Deborah

#2261732 - 04/14/14 07:50 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: Svenno]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

That ten second improvisation by Horowitz was nice but hardly anything to get excited about. Both the melody and harmony were very basic.

#2261733 - 04/14/14 07:50 PM Re: People don't seem to like Rachmaninoff at all. [Re: gooddog]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gooddog
I like Rachmaninoff but I have found that some of his music requires repeated listening to really appreciate.

Most good music does.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
47 minutes 51 seconds ago
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
79 registered (ARamadan, angga888, AZ_Astro, anotherscott, 17 invisible), 1041 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327681 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission