2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by keystring
If you look at your own music, you should see tons of chords that are in all kinds of configurations.

For sure.

I just do not think of those configurations as inversions.

I think of them as voicings.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by earlofmar
It's part of the notation system called Figured Bass, see here

Thanks for the reference, Earl. It's certainly interesting, but I'll stick with the leadsheet style alphanumeric chords and slash to specify the inversion. It saves space on the paper because you don't need the whole bass staff.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by keystring
If you look at your own music, you should see tons of chords that are in all kinds of configurations.

For sure.

I just do not think of those configurations as inversions.

I think of them as voicings.

I suppose that inversions have all kinds of voicings. Nonetheless, a named inversion refers to which note is on the bottom. If it were restricted to closed chords with exactly three notes, then you'd be talking about something you don't see that often in music, and what you do see in music would not have a name. That wouldn't make sense.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Originally Posted by earlofmar
It's part of the notation system called Figured Bass, see here

Thanks for the reference, Earl. It's certainly interesting, but I'll stick with the leadsheet style alphanumeric chords and slash to specify the inversion. It saves space on the paper because you don't need the whole bass staff.

It's interesting to study, to understand where our concept of chord charts and chord progressions come from, but it's not used very often anymore. I studied it in college and have yet to come across it since. I've heard that some orchestra players may make notes like that to indicate which part of the chord they are playing, giving their single note some context.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
This middle and backward business is absurd.

Yup. Just noticed another big problem with it: Four note chords. "Middle" doesn't work with them. Like would it be C7/E or C7/G?

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Just a thought about slash chords. I've never seen them used in any context other than pop or jazz lead sheets (are they routinely used in another setting?). Here, their use doesn't convey any information at all about what is happening in the RH regarding inversion; this is always a matter of discretion and context (voice leading etc.). So C7/E would mean specifically an E in the bass register, very commonly the LH playing the sole root note, and any one of the 4 possible inversions of C7 in the RH - in fact many more than 4 configurations if a note is omitted, a colouration like the 9th is added, or more intricately, the LH is spanning both the bass note and a contributing note to the RH voicing.

Chord symbols are always hard put to describe the complete picture even when we try and refine them with terms like 1st, 2nd inversion, middle....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The middle inversion is how I used to play left hand chords on an organ years ago!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Chord symbols are always hard put to describe the complete picture even when we try and refine them with terms like 1st, 2nd inversion, middle....

Sure, and when we want to specify the complete picture precisely, we use a little more paper and write it out in grand staff. It's a tradeoff. A lot of the time, lead sheets are OK.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Sure, and when we want to specify the complete picture precisely, we use a little more paper and write it out in grand staff. It's a tradeoff. A lot of the time, lead sheets are OK.

Lead sheets are fine and slash chords are both compact and informative but they convey no information at all about inversion….the topic of this thread.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
OK, now I'm confused. If I know that the chord is C7 and that the lowest note is E (C7/E), isn't that the same thing as knowing that it's 1st. inversion?

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
OK, now I'm confused. If I know that the chord is C7 and that the lowest note is E (C7/E), isn't that the same thing as knowing that it's 1st. inversion?

Here's two chords from a typical lead sheet.

D, E9/B

You'd be expected to play those with both hands. How will you voice them?

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Here's two chords from a typical lead sheet.

D, E9/B

You'd be expected to play those with both hands. How will you voice them?

Of course there are lots of ways to do it, depending on the context of the melody and the rest of the chords.

D in root position could be D3 - F#3 - A3. Or you could use D3 - A3 - F#4. D must be the lowest note, and the others must be F# and A.

E9/B could be B2 - D3 - F#3 - E4 - G#4. In this case, B must be the lowest, and the others are E, G#, D, and F#. They can go anywhere so long as they're above the B. (Though you probably don't want F# and G# side by side....) (The fifth is sometimes omitted from 9 chords, but here it's the slash note, so it has to be there.)

Last edited by JohnSprung; 04/14/14 03:20 PM.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Well the lowest notes aren't in contention of course, but it's troubling that you feel that the notes of the E9 chord "can go anywhere so long as they're above the B".

Either the entire notion of inversion is without any value at all (other than to define the lowest note), or the slash chord is not meant to indicate anything about 'inversion' as the term is commonly understood. Your opening choice of voicing for the E9/B is perfectly reasonable if you were to accept it as a "2nd inversion E9" but as interpretations go it isn't easy on the ear. I think that's because E9/B isn't meant to be translated as a "2nd inversion E9"; as a specification for a chord it isn't at all useful.

My take on 'inversion' is that it can only apply effectively to relatively basic chords as a means of teaching how the harmonic character of such a chord remains intact even when we take the lowest note and plop it on the top.

Lead sheet chords don't fall into this category, hence neither do slash chords.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
My voicing for those 2 chords would be:-

D2 A2 D3 F#3
B1 G#2 D3 F#3

- sound familiar?

The root note would be played singly by the LH and the remaining triad with the RH. If I were to think in terms of inversion for those chords I'd think it more meaningful to consider ONLY what's happening in the RH (because the root is already defined in the lead sheet).

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
...., but it's troubling that you feel that the notes of the E9 chord "can go anywhere so long as they're above the B".

..... Your opening choice of voicing for the E9/B is perfectly reasonable if you were to accept it as a "2nd inversion E9" but as interpretations go it isn't easy on the ear. ....

Hmmm.... Perhaps I should say that the slash notation doesn't place any constraints on where the upper notes go. "Anywhere" is allowed by the notation, but of course we want it to sound good.

If what I picked for E9/B isn't easy on the ear, it's because I'm just typing at the computer. I didn't actually play it first. If I had probably I would have thought to myself, "Well, that sucks. Let's try this...." ;-)

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Hmmm.... Perhaps I should say that the slash notation doesn't place any constraints on where the upper notes go. "Anywhere" is allowed by the notation, but of course we want it to sound good.

But 'inversion' defines a very specific layout of the component notes of a chord.

In a slash chord, you've already agreed it only defines the root note allowing carte blanche for the layout of the other chord notes. How can that compare with the precision of an inversion?

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
But 'inversion' defines a very specific layout of the component notes of a chord.
Er, no, I don't think so. This was covered earlier in the thread.

A first inversion means the third is the root note and a second inversion means the fifth is the root note. The order or placement of the remaining notes is not defined.

Richard
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
zrtf90 is correct.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Now I'm confused, I thought inversions were always formed, beginning on the first note, and finding the other two, or three if you repeat the bottom note at the top, by moving up the keyboard. I'm talking about one hand playing here.

For example starting on E, you have to find the G immediately above, then the C. Playing a C major chord first inversion with E, C and G is simply out of reach for most hand sizes. Similar with second inversion.

I've watched many tutorial videos, and all talk of inversions in them, has always been in line with what I've described above here. I usually watch only beginner to early intermediate videos, so I don't know if this is different in higher piano education.

Maybe it's best to say, that any combination of the notes C, E, and G, any number of each note, is a C major chord in some form. When we're talking of two hands playing, I find it helpful to view the different combinations of a chord's notes, as voicings, like someone said here earlier.

Last edited by TheodorN; 04/14/14 07:17 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Just a thought about slash chords. I've never seen them used in any context other than pop or jazz lead sheets (are they routinely used in another setting?).

I don't normally think in Roman Numerals, so I do use slash chords for everything, though most of the time they are just constructs. They are more things I feel in my hand. If, for instance, I hear an E7 chord, but the D is on top and an E is on the bottom, if I had to describe what I'm hearing, I would write:

E7/B

But I think what we are running into is two VERY different concepts of what "inversion" means.

For me it is part of what a chord is, and that is linked to voicing. It says nothing to me about the RH being in some simple voicing. For me that is separate.

Here, their use doesn't convey any information at all about what is happening in the RH regarding inversion;

That is 100% correct. The chord tell me what notes are likely to be spread out over both hands, and the slash tells me when something is going to be the bass that is not the root of the chord. I glance will tell me if that bass note is or is not part of the chord.

this is always a matter of discretion and context (voice leading etc.). So C7/E would mean specifically an E in the bass register, very commonly the LH playing the sole root note, and any one of the 4 possible inversions of C7 in the RH - in fact many more than 4 configurations if a note is omitted, a colouration like the 9th is added, or more intricately, the LH is spanning both the bass note and a contributing note to the RH voicing.

That all seems on the money to me. To me C7/E could be something as simple as E G Bb C, but that would be VERY unlikely. I read that as C7 chord (in some form) with E in the bass.

And there is something more important, which you get to later in this thread.

The moment you have 9 chords, or 11 chords, or "add something" chords, you then have something that can't be inverted.

Consider something rather common: C7b9.

Now imagine someone writes something like C7b9/E, and calls it a "first inversion flat 9 chord".

You have E G Bb C Db, which in most cases is simply an ugly, artificial thing that no one wants to hear.

So it doesn't work.

There are probably better examples, but the whole idea of simple inversions goes right out the window when something goes past an octave or when it has extra color tones.

Then, as you say, there are omissions. Sooner or later, no matter how many chord symbols we invent, a really nice voicing has to be notated to make clear what we want, or what someone else wants.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission