2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 240 of 540 1 2 238 239 240 241 242 539 540
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I survived my NY trip! Yay! I'm on my way back home. My piano, puppies and hubby are waiting for me:) I have a week until my next trip to UK. Ok now I have to turn it off. Flying soon.

T
T
It's Friday night and I am going to spend it with my piano and my cat, which is, in my opinion, the best way to spend an evening. I just looked at the comments in my lesson book and it says "you are playing really well". This had made me extraordinarily happy. I am as motivated by praise as any small child!!!

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
ATOW this week was just to get through it and still keep practicing piano. Week before last I bumped my head and didn't notice I had broken the skin (it was in my eyebrow) which became infected and started to worry me. I trip to the doctor and before I knew it I was in hospital with nothing but my music books (I had just been for my lesson). 24 hours later and with a large amount of antibiotics in my system I was released relieved to get back home to get some practice in. Half my face is swollen up and my eye half closed but that hasn't stopped me getting a few hours in each day.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
T
Originally Posted by earlofmar
ATOW this week was just to get through it and still keep practicing piano. Week before last I bumped my head and didn't notice I had broken the skin (it was in my eyebrow) which became infected and started to worry me. I trip to the doctor and before I knew it I was in hospital with nothing but my music books (I had just been for my lesson). 24 hours later and with a large amount of antibiotics in my system I was released relieved to get back home to get some practice in. Half my face is swollen up and my eye half closed but that hasn't stopped me getting a few hours in each day.

I really love the dedication here! You poor thing, hope your face gets better soon, so impressed you are still practising!

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Ouch, earlofmar!

Make sure to keep the wound as clean and dry as you possibly can. Change the bandage regularly (though I've been told it's better to leave it open to the air as much as possible when you're in a clean and safe environment, provided that there isn't any discharge going on). If you've been given oral anti-biotic pills, definitely take them regularly and all. And get all the rest your body tells you to!

I'm sure one or more doctors already told you all of this. It bears repeating, though. I've been down the road you are on twice in the last year, and both times, it wasn't exactly a fun ride. I hope this clears up soon. My thoughts are with you!

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks guys, yes I am making sure I do all the right things, can't be too careful.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
earlofmar, that sounds awful! It must have been quite and infection if they kept you in the hospital! Here is to a speedy recovery. Enjoy distraction with the piano while you are on the mend!

Last edited by SwissMS; 06/15/13 06:08 AM. Reason: sometimes I just cannot spell correctly!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - glad your teacher is working with you now. There is so much material available, it is great she is opening up to new stuff!

Toastie- sounds like a great evening - and how great to see positive comments in your book!

FarmGirl - welcome home!

Earlofmar --- ouch!!!! That sounds like a nasty experience! Do take care of yourself!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I love to read this thread but I can't give an individual comment to every achievement... Sorry about that and congratulations everyone.

Just to say that I was in the audition for the contest that my company is organizing.

Well, the ambiance was like "America got talent" or similar, and I wasn't expecting something so "serious". There was a small stage and 3 judges: the HR director of my company - he's pianist -, the administrator of the largest concert hall in Lisbon - he's who organizes the largest and the best music concerts in Portugal -, and the last winner of the Portuguese "America got talent" - yes, we have a contest like this, too. They are who will decide the 3 finalists. And, I saw some staff guys beyond a sound table and a cameraman surrounding the stage and some other people in the audience.

After presenting myself I asked If I could play something before starting playing "Indaco". I explained that It's not easy to play an acoustic piano at 11AM without doing a warming up... They accepted and I play 2 or 3 minutes of "Life" - the piece I'm working on -, and I felt it was my day. The piano had a celestial sound, perfect for "Indaco". I was relaxing.
Then, I play the version I did of "Indaco". I made two or three imperceptible errors, but I was concentrated and I was really enjoying my playing. The cameraman was surrounding me which was a little bit annoying, but I was doing my job. At the end I ear enthusiastic applauses. I wasn't expecting that...

Now, among various, the most interesting comments:
- The administrator of concerts was the first to speak: "How many years did you studied in the Conservatory?" Note: The Conservatory of Lisbon is the most important high school of arts in the country. I said: "None. I'm a self learner since December 2009.". He wasn't believing. He said that I had born with "natural talent".

- The HR director asked: "Why did you entered in this contest?... Because I can fell you play for your own enjoyment; it's like an intimidated playing.". I said: "Just because I love to play and I wouldn't miss the opportunity to have a professional video of me playing."

- The portuguese "America got talent" star: he was amazed... He asked again what was the theme and the composer and how could I play with such dynamics without having a teacher and only with 3 years of work... He was interested about the steps I do in order to achieve such level. Well, frankly I explained that I just like to play and that it's all about work and dedication. He was impressed.

So, I think I was fine. It was not my best interpretation because I'm not use to play in acoustics and the atmosphere was more serious than I could guess. I don't know If I will pass to finals - I don't know the other 11 competitors -, but, at least, I won a beautiful BIC pen with the logo of the company. Let's wait for the results.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Carlos - what a fantastic experience - and such great feedback! wow! You must be feeling pretty content!

Best wishes for the final results - but congratulations on how well you have done so far - you've already got a lovely accomplishment under your belt!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
CarlosCC - I love following your story! You made me grin this morning smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Y
Y
Wow CarlosCC, congratulations! I think you won’t forget this pure happiness feeling for the rest of your life, great!

And Earlofmar - hope your job isn’t being a model, in this case I fear you will be out of engagement for a while... All jokes aside I hope your injury is healing fast and you are not to much pain-bothered. Get well soon!

A journey of a thousend miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
I made my first piano-step on June 2010.
Y
Y
Originally Posted by rnaple

I played those 6 bars for her from Shindler's List. She was stunned. She said I got it all, the dynamics, the mood, I got it.

wow a really nice AOTW! Think this is the nicest guerdon for hard work someone can achieve!

A journey of a thousend miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
I made my first piano-step on June 2010.
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Gee earlofmar.... Odd how little things like that can blow up into something serious. Best of luck.

Oh Carlos... Congratulations! Interesting being in a competition like that.

That's a good way to spend an evening, Toastie. Enjoying the journey.

Ragdoll.....Hope your teacher choses something you want.

FarmGirl.... You're racking up those frequent flier miles, aren't you?

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl - Yes, it was a great experience. Mostly because I'm not a competitive guy but I realized that I was indeed in a competition. I'm feeling content, the comments are always important, but I don't care about the results. I fell pretty confident after this audition - my first audition ever, and the first time I was on a "real" stage playing for someone - and that's a good reward.

Cathy - "My" piano story is mostly done here in PW. Today, was only an episode to remember later. I feel more confidence talking and playing for you than playing for 3 strangers that I don't know nothing. Just because I feel that, here, we "grow" together in this adventure and we can enjoy the progress and the achievements of each other. For me, that's more significant than to be "evaluated" for others that don't know nothing about us. That's the reason I will keep telling the story for you.

yester and rnaple - Thanks! It's a moment to remember later. For sure!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I haven't posted here in a while, but I had a really nice experience on Friday that I wanted to share.

I'm currently in Minneapolis (I've been here for over a week, since a friend of mine got married. I plan to leave in the next day or two). My host has a Yamaha GH1 that hadn't been tuned in probably 10 years at least, so I tuned it, and it's actually a decent enough piano for its size, but on Friday, I went to Schmitt Music to get my fix on a better piano. They were very nice and told me to play all I wanted, so I played a bit, until I realized that a kids recital was starting.

I sat in on it and listened to all the kids play, and tried to imagine myself up on the stage playing, in order to simulate the experience. Then when the kids were all done, I went up on the stage and played a bit while the people were milling around. The recital piano was a short Boston grand that was dreadfully out of tune (very surprising for a recital piano), and I left the recital room and started playing on a GORGEOUS Kawai RX-6.

A woman, who was apparently waiting for her son to finish his guitar lesson, came and started listening to me play, and then talking to me. She told me she had just started taking piano lessons about 10 months ago. I asked if she wanted to hear my favorite piece, and she said yes, so I played the G minor ballade, and it was probably my best "performance" of it yet (as far as minimizing nerves and staying in control go). When I was finished, she didn't say anything, but just came up to me and gave me a hug. It was such a sweet gesture, and I don't think I'll ever forget it. I guess that qualifies for an AOTW smile

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
CarlossCC & Sam Rose - both very uplifting stories, so pleased you shared them with us

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations to CarlosCC. Oowie for Earlofmar. Sam Rose, in your honor, a group hug for all of the AOTW tribe. Cheers.

Week 66: I attend a concert, Ceora Winds, a chamber music ensemble featuring bassoon, flute and clarinet.

Most of my piano week is spent on composition. I bought a printer for the computer. It seems to help, but having a lot more paper around is a downside. The new piece is close to its potential. My critical mind tells me that it isn't much. However, it is a step forward. It will be my first composition with original lyrics and piano music. It is also writing to a title, which isn't always so easy. Now if I could only sing (and then sing and play).

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
CarlosCC - A star was born! It's such a fantastic experience. Congratulations playing your compositions too! I concur with the director that you are born with natural talent.

SamRose - congratulations for yet another successful performancs. It's wonderful that you could move people by your music, i mean, you reach out to people's hearts through your performance. That must be an unforgettable experience.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Earlofmar - hope you get better soon.

Page 240 of 540 1 2 238 239 240 241 242 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission