Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2261794 - 04/14/14 09:41 PM Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Tchaikovsky Themed Recital.

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces being performed in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Now, find a nice spot and enjoy the music …

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2261817 - 04/14/14 10:45 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
AZ_Astro Online   content

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
The Tchaikovsky Themed Recital streamer is at this location:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/Tchaikovsky_Themed_Recital/play-all.html

#2261818 - 04/14/14 10:48 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]

I have already listened to the first twelve of them. Nice job everyone!

Two jumped out at me that make me want to learn them!

The German Song, played by ZRTF90, and Morning Prayer... hey, also played by ZRTF90.

I am very familiar with Opus 39 so the strains of the other pieces are new to my ear. But I have found many of them very intriguing. More comments later.

#2261823 - 04/14/14 11:07 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]

Ohmygosh I just listened to number 34 (34. Morodiene - Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 1 Ruins de Chateau) by Morodiene. Incredible pacing, phrasing, and mood. Wonderful!

Edited by AZ_Astro (04/14/14 11:07 PM)

#2261940 - 04/15/14 04:48 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I only listened to a few pieces here and there, but overall this sounds fantastic! Thank you Greener for putting this together.

Richard, I especially liked the fact that you played three of the "easy" pieces from opus 39. You can hear the expert hand and the subtlety, and it makes such a difference. Expression, rich dynamics, and chord notes sounding exactly at the same time... I like it when you say, 'It took less than twenty minutes to memorise and less than twenty days to develop'. It's reassuring to hear that a piece that you can probably sight-read still needs some time to grow - at least if you're a perfectionist. After two years at the piano there are finally some (few) pieces below my level, where I can switch my attention from mere note learning to all the tiny details, and this is where the real fun starts.

#2261953 - 04/15/14 05:48 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
chopinoholic Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Wow this is great. Here are my first comments.

Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark - SwissMS/Doris
Way to start a recital. What a nice sound coming from your Bechstein. I listened to it a couple of times. Love the Russian sound you project. Nice balance between the hands.

Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song - sinophilia (Diana)
I like the tempo. It reminds me of the stupid movies from the 20's! I keep seeing Laurel and Hardy moving the piano!
Thanks for sharing.

Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song - Andy Platt
Nice atmosphere. You play this nocturne like piece really sensitive. How about that pppp at the end!

Romance Op.5 - Ganddalf
Wow, what a nice piece. I will try it too. Thanks for a considerate execution. (Is that correct English?).

Old French Song. Op 39 No 16. - Recaredo / Ricardo
This sounds familliar in some way. Can't put my finger on it though.
Well played and thanks for sharing.

Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9 - PikaPianist
Good idea to play it in the agitated way as you say. It contrasts well with the middle section. I like your interpretation a lot.

#2261983 - 04/15/14 07:28 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I have listened to the first half of the contributions, and I'm amazed by the quality of the performances. It has also been a real treat to get acquainted with all this beautiful piano music that I didn't even know existed.

I'm going to give individual comments to each piece, but due to the Easter holidays you may have to wait for a few days.

#2262019 - 04/15/14 08:43 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
hreichgott Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
I enjoyed the Italian Song's bright and goofy quality. That aspect of the piece is really fun. Thanks Diana.

Andy, you are right about the difficulties of October/Autumn Song. Congratulations on your success especially with the voicing issues.

Ganddalf, what a beautiful and soulful rendition of the Romance. It is wonderful to hear you communicate through the music.
Loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
Always a fan of Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2262069 - 04/15/14 10:29 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark - SwissMS/Doris:
I really like how you bring such a serious dark mood to this piece. For some reason it invokes a feeling of sounds you may hear in the night. Maybe it's because I got up at 3 am to see the lunar eclipse/blood moon and heard all sorts of birds crying.

On a side note: "Experience: 5 as an adult, a couple as a chile" I just had to chuckle at this typo. laugh

Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song - sinophilia (Diana):
How appropriate that you chose this piece smile I think you give it the lively feeling of the folk music in Italy. Nicely done!

Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song - Andy Platt:
You have a good feeling for this piece, giving it the right sensitivity and rubato. This is has a nostalgic sound to it, makes me wonder what happened to Tchai in the autumn to make him feel this way about it. Well done performance!

Romance Op.5 - Ganddalf:
From my experience in playing Tchai's music, I've noticed there's a lot of layers and intricacy, even in the simpler sounding parts. You handle this complexity very well. I especially like the energy you give to the slower parts.

Old French Song. Op 39 No 16 - Recaredo / Ricardo:
You handle the "round" aspect of this piece very well. Again, it has that layer of complexity that on the surface you don't notice it, but after playing quite a bit of Tchai, I see now how he liked to incorporate that interplay between the hands.

Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9 - PikaPianist:
I like this tempo a lot. It sounds almost macabre at the beginning, like a Tim Burton movie soundtrack. I love your choice of rubato in this piece, especially in the middle section, giving it time to wind out the melody.

OP 39 10 Polka - peterws/pyotr:
LOL "Pyotr" - is that your Russian side coming out? As always I enjoy the exuberance with which you play. You lend this piece a suitable playfulness. I don't have the music, but did you add a note at the end? smile Well done.

German Song - Richard (zrtf90):
I have this collection and have only taught a few pieces out of it, but I see that there are many others I should consider now, this being one of them. Would you say it's good for learning repeated notes or dotted rhythms?

Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2 - Greener:
This was a piece I fell in love with as a child. We owned a book that had a collection of classic favorites. I don't recall if I ever worked with my teacher on this one, I do remember just loving that opening theme. You give it a stateliness and good attention to the repeated notes in the melodic line. Thanks for playing this!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2262116 - 04/15/14 12:46 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Morodiene]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
There is some truly outstanding playing in this recital. Thanks to Greener for bringing this all together. Here are my first set of comments.

Sinophilia -Italian Song: Beautiful, jaunty performance of this nice little piece. You had a nice balance between the melody and the accompaniment. Well done!

Andy Platt – October: You gave this a very melancholy, gentle feel. I like the pacing that you gave the piece. Very nice!

Gandalf- Romance Op. 5: Lovely flow. I love the middle section. It has a definite Russian feel and is very dramatic. Lovely transition out to the returning main theme.

Recaredo- Old French Song: Nice expression and balance in this character piece.

PikaPianist Valse in F# minor: I love the energy that you give this waltz. Wonderful presentation. I can just see the dancers whirling!

Peterws -Polka: I remember playing this sometime back. It is tricky. I like the playful feel that you give it. Really nice pacing!

Richard(zrtf90)German Song: This sounds like a trip to a German beer garden in Bavaria. You gave it a light, lilting sound that fit that vision perfectly.

Greener/JeffChanson triste Op 40. No. 2: I really like this piece, and considered learning as well. I like your take on it. You made it very expansive and paced it well. Great listening.

Richard/(zrtf90)- Morning Prayer: I really like this piece as well. I like your expression in it, with just a hint of darkness in the middle. The Winny the Pooh reference fits nicely as well!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2262210 - 04/15/14 03:21 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Greener Offline

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
There is some truly outstanding playing in this recital. Thanks to Greener for bringing this all together.

Thank you kindly, Doris and Diana. However, I've just played a small part in "bringing this all together". There has been a team involved and stretching back to October, 2013.

Richard, Sam, Monica, Chris, Cheryl and all the folks that contributed and made it possible before this event. I have a better understanding of how things work now of course and I'll tell you, it is magic. The moderators responded instantaneously when request made at 2:45am today. A smooth sailing ship we have here.

I'm happy to have had the opportunity.

Thank you.

#2262302 - 04/15/14 06:25 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
gingko2 Online   content

Loc: MA, USA
This is my first time listening and first time posting. As others have said, I'm impressed by the quality--really humbled by the quality. Even with errors, or still undeveloped dynamics or phrasing. it's obvious that there's thought and musicality in everything I've heard. And like others, I want to learn more Tchaikovsky. Didn't know that even the "easy" pieces were so rich.

I've only listened to a third in entirety--our internet connection is slow today. Like to make comments about the first few.

Doris (Song of the Lark),
Gorgeous. Nice pacing. Lots of layers. Like to learn it (someday).

Diana (Italian Song),
Played the melody nice and jaunty, not overdone which could make the piece comical--the right amount of bounce. Maybe slightly softer left is the only possibility??

Andy (October),
Doesn't sound clinical to me! Nice expression and variety. "Indulgent" is too easy, right? It's hard to back off to subtlety, which is more beautiful. I liked it.

Ganddalf (Norway),
Incredible variety in this piece and good handling of the different sections.

I'd like to write here just more "Additional Info" on "Mama." Being new I wasn't sure of the amount or type of info to post:

I chose Mama because it was one of the few left in the Album for the Young and it didn't look very hard. It was, in fact, a lot harder than it looked. First of all it had to be very even. The subject, Mama, wouldn't lend itself to extreme changes in mood. Getting something even is incredibly difficult, never mind adding accents, dynamic changes, etc. to get some contour to the piece. Again, not too dramatic or extreme. I tried to imagine a brisk benevolence about Mama (I heard a couple professional recordings that were quite fast!) and also some "breaths" or "catching one's breath" and small moments of peace and slowing down. It's not there yet! This is a difficult piece to make interesting and one I'll practice for a long time to improve.

Would like to make more comments about other submissions soon.

Thanks for doing this. This is a great experience.

Kawai CA63

working on:

Khachaturian: Andantino, Ivan Goes to a Party
Bach: Invention #6
Bartok: Joc cu Bata
Pachelbel: Ciaccona
Debussy: Jimbo's Lullaby

#2262406 - 04/15/14 11:06 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
I only made it halfway through tonight. Wow! some great stuff here. Thanks to everybody for contributing, its really great to get the opportunity to listen to these performances.

1 SwissMS Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark Love the lilting feel, the bird song is very nicely done. Very pretty song.

2 sinophilia Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song Neat little song, sounds like a sidewalk cafe in Naples or something. I like the jaunty feel you gave it.

3 Andy Platt Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song I can almost see the leaves falling from the trees. I think you did a fantastic job with the voicing of the melody.

4 Ganddalf Romance Op.5 Beautiful piece, and so well played. I hope to achieve your level of piano mastery some day.

5 Recaredo/Ricardo Old French Song, Op 39 This may be the next Op 39 piece I try to play. You make it sound very graceful and musical.

6 PikaPianist Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9 I love the way you played this, the energy level is great. I really enjoyed listening, thanks so much!

7 peterws/pyotr Op 39 Polka Agree with you about the Op. 39 pieces, Album for the young (at heart). Great tempo, makes me want to dance (the polka, of course.)

8 Richard (zrtf90) German Song, Op. 39 I hope I can knock out a piece like this at this level someday. Thanks for sharing it.

9 Greener / Jeff Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2 Wow, what a great piece. I love the approach you took, it's very sad but not ponderously so. Really great.

10 Richard (zrt90) Morning Prayer Op. 39 Thanks again for another excellent rendition. I love the interpretation, it really has a great positive feel without being too fast.

11 peterws/pyotr Op. 39 Folksong Very upbeat and well played. I loved listening to this. Another of the Op. 39s I have to try someday!

12 AZ_Astro At Church Op 39 I think this sounds great. It has a good stately feel, not plodding at all.

13 peterws/pyotr Impromptu Op 72 1 What a fantastic piece of music! It sounded awesome to me, thanks so much for sharing it.

14 peterws/pyotr Peasant's Prelude Op. 39 I don't understand the title either... Maybe something got lost in translation... Sounded great, though.

#2262508 - 04/16/14 08:44 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I'm slowly downloading these to burn onto a CD. I don't really have the time while I'm at the computer to go through the recital on the streaming player and prefer to do most of my listening in the car. As the zip files have not been made here I made an exception and have been through everything just once so far.

I'm thrilled to hear the enthusiasm and work that went into these performances and the stretch it has created in the performers and I'm very proud to have played a part in this marvellous achievement.

What a stunned to hear so much music for the first time from such a famous composer!

The workload from the ABF #33, Joplin, Tchaikovsky and the upcoming ABF #34 means I'm again unable to devote enough time to individual comments but I strongly suspect I will have precious little to offer on top of what is said by others.

I expect most of you already know that this recital has improved your playing and your appreciation of Tchaikovsky's tremendous and largely underestimated output.

I am in awe that these recitals keep getting better. How much more is there to come, I wonder?

Diana, thank you. Really, thank you. smile

Morodiene, the German Song. I wouldn't have thought of it as being prime material for either dotted or repeated notes. But for a beginner, yes, it offers both and more. It is really easy to enjoy the music, which really helps, and the articulation and phrasing requires great care and precision. I would say that would be its prime challenge.

FWIW, I would offer the second movement from Clementi's Op. 36 nos. 2 or 3 for dotted notes. Scarlatti for repeated notes. I can't think of anything easier than Kp. 149 off hand but I'm sure you won't have to look as far as Kp. 141. smile

#2262510 - 04/16/14 08:48 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: zrtf90]

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
I'm slowly downloading these to burn onto a CD. I don't really have the time while I'm at the computer to go through the recital on the streaming player and prefer to do most of my listening in the car. As the zip files have not been made here I made an exception and have been through everything just once so far.

I'm thrilled to hear the enthusiasm and work that went into these performances and the stretch it has created in the performers and I'm very proud to have played a part in this marvellous achievement.

What a stunned to hear so much music for the first time from such a famous composer!

The workload from the ABF #33, Joplin, Tchaikovsky and the upcoming ABF #34 means I'm again unable to devote enough time to individual comments but I strongly suspect I will have precious little to offer on top of what is said by others.

I expect most of you already know that this recital has improved your playing and your appreciation of Tchaikovsky's tremendous and largely underestimated output.

I am in awe that these recitals keep getting better. How much more is there to come, I wonder?

Diana, thank you. Really, thank you. smile

Morodiene, the German Song. I wouldn't have thought of it as being prime material for either dotted or repeated notes. But for a beginner, yes, it offers both and more. It is really easy to enjoy the music, which really helps, and the articulation and phrasing requires great care and precision. I would say that would be its prime challenge.

FWIW, I would offer the second movement from Clementi's Op. 36 nos. 2 or 3 for dotted notes. Scarlatti for repeated notes. I can't think of anything easier than Kp. 149 off hand but I'm sure you won't have to look as far as Kp. 141. smile

I was thinking of more for using more Tchaikovsky in my teaching. And Clementi, well, he wasn't the greatest. wink

#2262543 - 04/16/14 10:25 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I never knew that Tchaikovsky had written so much great music for piano. He certainly has not gotten much attention in the ABF recitals before. But that has been remedied with this great recital!

01 - SwissMS/Doris - Song of the Lark From memory! I'm impressed. Nice changes in touch, with the contrast between legato and staccato and everything in-between. Sensitive playing too - I loved the little tempo fluctuations.

02 - sinophilia (Diana) - Italian Song Perfect oom-pahs! You know what I mean, the left hand rhythm. Loved the ending too.

03 - Andy Platt - October: Autumn Song I can heard your love for it coming through. The section where you picked things up a little was very nice, ending in the rolled chord. Your playing shows that you are listening and adjusting. Loved it!

04 - Ganddalf - Romance Op.5 Very smooth and refined. Your ornaments (turns) were perfect! The middle section was quite a contrast, almost like a military march.

05 - Recaredo / Ricardo - Old French Song A charming piece, very well played.

06 - PikaPianist - Valse in F# minor Wonderful touch - loved your interpretation. Very subtle pedal work work too. Excellent job.

07 - peterws/pyotr - OP 39 10 Polka Your hands keep switching between green and purple in my video - which gives the whole piece a psychedelic quality, like a polka on a trip. But your playing was flawless!

08 - Richard (zrtf90) - German Song Excellent touch and pedaling. These easier pieces really shine when played by someone with skill.

09 - Greener / Jeff - Chanson triste So sad. But Tchaikovsky seemed to revel in it. There are some passages that sound very familiar as if they are similar to another work, but I can't place them. Very well done.

More to come...

Sam

#2262614 - 04/16/14 02:15 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Well, everything`s done and dusted . . . and here we are listening. Great! You lot seem to get better with each recital, which I suppose is how it should be. Well done, all of you. There`s some complex stuff in there which I can`t relate to. All composers display this when their intelligence output exceeds what I can take in and mentally digest . . I blame lead in the water pipes.

1 Swiss Piano Girl

Quite a melancholy piece, if I may say so. This lark is not ascending; he`s pottering around on the ground. As they do. Food is hard to find . . .A lovely work and sound; great recording.

2 Sinophilia Italian Song

I think you enjoy this piece; you play steady and with confidence with a super rall at the end. Well done!

3 Andy Platt

Thought it was Chopin or Mendelssohn. A very sensitive and contemplative work which was well reflected in your playing. Excellent.

4 Ganddalf Op 5 I`m not qualified to pass technical "judgement" supposing I wanted to. It just sounded great on that Digital of yours . . . A recent acquisition? Lovely tone.

5 Recaredo/Ricardo Op 39 15

You do a splendid job n here. I listened also to your Mendelssohn piece on Y Tube; both of these caused me to think "Kawai" for my next piano. Trouble is, I just bought the one I have! Excellent work and great recording!

6 Pika Pianist Op 40 9

Wonderful music! Love your playing and the dound. Dammit, another Kawai . . . ha ha they get everywhere . . Magnificent work! This is a must for me to attempt (cough cough) but I need a bit o` Dutch Courage . . . Who`s the poor schmuck who`s gonna follow this?

7 Peterws/pyotr

Hmmm . . . ..

8 ZRT/Richard German Song

Def. a Teutonic feel to this, complete with Oompah band and German Beer. . . Great job, man!

9 Greener/Jeff

Thanks Jeff for this event, and your team too. We are indebted!
A sad sad song. Your playing was suitably triste. I`d find it hard to get into . . .so much Chopin is similar. But what a good job you did here.

10 ZRT90/Richard Morning Prayer.

I looked at this myself, in the "39" book. It`s very moving, old fashioned Church style typical of the 19/20 Century changeover. Some of the best hymns I heard were similar to this. A child`s prayer. Simple and effective. Lovely playing. Well done.

Edited by peterws (04/16/14 03:40 PM)

""

#2262640 - 04/16/14 03:07 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: peterws]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Next Group!

Peterws Folk Song: What a sweet little piece! Very upbeat and playfully played!

AZ_Astro At Church: I love this piece! I play it when I am feeling down. It always gives me a feeling of hope. Your version did that as well. Very well played.

Peterws_ 72-1: Wow, this really sounds like a handful! You did a lovely job of it. You may have pieced it together, but it sounded seamless.

Peterws Prelude– This is an interesting piece, leading somewhere, leaving the listener waiting for more. Nice job of setting up that feeling.

PatH - Impromptu: Wow! This one enters into the realm of virtuoso technique. Very well played!

Gandalf- May: This is a very uplifting, gentle piece. I like the relaxed pacing that you give it. It brings to mind spring flowers waving in the breeze. Beautiful presentation.

Richard(zrtf90) Baba Yaga This sounds like a tricky little number. You give it a playful, bouncy feel that fits the vision of the witch. Very nice.

Hreichgott- January: Lovely flow in this gentle piece. It make me think of sitting by a warm fire looking out at a soft blanket of snow. Well Played.

Hreichgott – February: Living near Luzern, February Carnival is very familiar to me. This piece expresses the irreverant, carefree nature of that celebration. You expressed that well in your presentation. Beautifully played!

SamS- June: I absolutely love this piece. It has such a haunting quality. It is still on my do to list. You do a lovely job with it. Nice expression on the bridge chords.

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2262666 - 04/16/14 03:59 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

12 AZ Astro op39 2

I like T,`s churchy stuff. Rooted in Russian Orthodoxy, very noving with a certain beauty to it all. This is very very nicely played and interpretated.

15 PatH/Pat Holstein OP 1 2

Good to hear expertise combined with experience; but what a piece! What was in T.`s mind when he wrote it? Can`t attempt that I`m afraid. Fantastic stuff, man. What can I say?

16 Ganddalf "May"

Very lovely and happy music with a hopeful tinge to it imo. You did a wonderful job! As always.

17 ZRT90/Richard Baba Yaga

An unusual vibrant, quirky piece; sounds modern and ahead of it`s time. You did a super job here. One lively witch from Russia . . .

18 Heather W Reichgott op37 1

Peaceful and hymn like; comprehensive piece o` misic which you executed well.

19 Heather W Reichgott op37 2

It`s always good to hear (and hear from) seasoned performers. This would keep anyone on their toes, and put many on their backs. . . Can`t pretend to understand this, unfortunately. You certainly did what sounded like a great job!

20 Sam s op37 6

Big sound, with big chords to go with it! Great job, man. Loads of dynamic stuff here.

21 Gingko 2 Mama

Beautiful piece indeed which you render so well. I hope it`s in the op 39 book . . . I have that! A "must do" . .

`Bye for now . . .

Edited by peterws (04/16/14 04:01 PM)

""

#2262748 - 04/16/14 07:14 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: AZ_Astro]

Originally Posted By: AZ_Astro
Ohmygosh I just listened to number 34 (34. Morodiene - Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 1 Ruins de Chateau) by Morodiene. Incredible pacing, phrasing, and mood. Wonderful!

Thank you! This one really drew me and originally I was just going to do the one movement, but then thought it would be nice to work on the whole opus. I'm glad you liked it!

#2262767 - 04/16/14 07:51 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]

Morning Prayer - Richard (zrtf90) :
Now, this is one I've taught before and just love. I appreciate how you bring out the moving LH line. The reverb you used made it sound as though you were in a cathedral. Very nice!

Op 39 14 FolkSong - peterws/pyotr :
This was a lot of fun to hear. I like the echoes! This almost sounds like something Scarlatti would have written.

At Church Op. 39 No 23 - AZ_Astro :
Very solemn and stately. I love your pacing here, to let those chords ring out like they would on an organ. I can tell you are carrying the thought through these long chords rather than stopping on each one.

Impromptu op72 1 - peterws/pyotr :
I applaud your efforts, and your enthusiasm for the piece and flair shines through. That slow middle section indeed sounds very enigmatic (I can envision the face that must have inspired you), but beautiful. I can see why you picked this. It's almost jazzy in its rhythms - I love it!

Peasant`s Prelude Op 39 13 - peterws/pyotr :
Or maybe suitable for a harmonica too with that back and forth V-I progression? It seems to have a lot of questions unanswered, but maybe that's what makes it a prelude. A prelude to vodka, perhaps, where the questions go unanswered, but they somehow don't matter anymore.

Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu - patH (Patrick Hollstein) :
Wow, if this isn't Russian music, then I don't know what is! Do dramatic and dark, I love it. You play with the passion to match it, too. All those octaves, this had to be tough. I really like how calm the middle section is. Bravo!

Seasons: May - Ganddalf :
That's an interesting tidbit about the summer nights, I wasn't aware that the birds kept singing. I was up at 3am the other night to see the lunar eclipse, and there was one bird that wouldn't shut up - I think it was a peacock. Not really a pretty sound, more like a yell. Anyways, I really hare the bird-like quality to the moving parts of this piece. I thought I was listening to a professional recording you play it so well! Thanks for this.

Baba Yaga - Richard (zrtf90):
I was curious about this one just because of the Mussorgsky version. Tchai's witch seems much more scheming and plotting than all-out cursing, but no less nefarious. You played the staccato and accents really well to give it that character!

The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott):
It sounds as though Tchai was looking forward to a new year, in spite of the blustery winds blowing at his window. Beautiful playing, my favorite part is how the arpeggios build up in intensity in the middle. Everything you play with an idea in mind as to what you're saying, well done!

The Seasons, Op. 37: 2. February - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott):
This one in particular I can really hear the orchestral quality to it. You bring out all the various melodies going on very well. Again, you play with a clear direction as to what each part is saying. Great job!

#2262819 - 04/16/14 11:09 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]

Performer SwissMS/Doris
From Switzerland
Piece Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark
Composer Tchaikovsky
I love the dissonance in some of those chords. A mysterious and enchanting piece with some off beat cadences. Nice touch and timing. Hmmm, not the happiest Lark in town, I’m afraid, as the song is pretty sad. But your playing captures the sentiment nicely!

Performer sinophilia (Diana)
From Italy
Piece Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song
Composer Tchaikovsky
Your playing is very energetic! Nice pacing. You could look for places to change the dynamics, I suppose. I like the quick parts. Dramatic finish. Great job!
Performer Andy Platt
From Arlington, VA, USA
Piece Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song
Composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Oh this is a Fine Piece by Tchaikovsky. Great choice! Some poignant moments and phrases. Love those triplets off the beat. I am hearing the voices so you did a great job bringing those out. Nice change of pace in the middle. Oh that melody sings beautifully @2:30 on – I think you could bring that out even more. Be proud. Beautifully played!
Performer Ganddalf
From Norway
Piece Romance Op.5
Composer Tchaikovsky
An elegant and charming piece with a lot of depth. Nice transition into the B section. Ooh. And moody too! Your N1 carries the melody nicely and has a lot of tonal body to it. You put a lot of work into that piece and it shows. Super effort!
Performer Recaredo / Ricardo
From Granada, Spain.
Piece Old French Song. Op 39 No 16.
Composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
I fell in love with this piece, too, and have memorized it and played it many times. I thank Tchaikovsky for creating this beautiful song that is approachable by beginners! You play with much more discipline than I do, and I enjoyed the speed and pacing of your approach. I would enjoy hearing it again on an acoustic! Great job with this piece.
Performer PikaPianist
From Brisbane
Piece Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9
Composer Tchaikovsky
Sounds professional! Nice brisk timing and dynamics from the very beginning. I was drawn into the recording from the very start and really enjoyed listening to the entire piece. Very sweet transition around 1:15. Oh my, that second part (B?) around 1:32 is most beautifully composed and admirably executed. Dramatic and moving. Wow. I hadn’t listened to this piece before and it’s rare for me to like a piece on first hearing. But this one I certainly did, thanks to great playing and interpretation.
Performer peterws/pyotr
From N England
Piece OP 39 10 Polka
Composer Tchaikovsky
This would have been a challenging piece for me but you pull it off nicely. It sounded easy for you. Nice clear dual voices in the middle. Ha ha, I am going to have to go check the score to see if that bass note at the end is really in there. Humorous touch. [I just checked the score… you added it!]

Performer Richard (zrtf90)
From Ireland
Piece German Song
Composer Tchaikovsky

I want to learn this piece now. A very joyous performance. I have heard it played more quickly and it works that way but I really liked your pacing too. It appears to me to be technically demanding to maintain an even beat and you certainly did that. Delightful performance. Thanks.

Performer Greener / Jeff
From Toronto
Piece Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2
Composer Tchaikovsky

Instrument Heintzman
Additional info
An intriguing and engaging piece. A soul searcher. Your acoustic adds a lot of character and body to the piece which helped me enjoy it a lot. The melody is complex and mature. I’ll have to come back to this piece and listen to it again, probably numerous times. It’s exactly the type of piece that I fall in love with after about the 7th listen! You did a really nice job with this piece.

Performer Richard (zrtf90)
From Ireland
Piece Morning Prayer
Composer Tchaikovsky

I almost chose this little piece back when we were choosing. It is a very moving and delicate little wonder. Tchaikovsky packs a lot of depth into a minute and fifteen seconds, doesn’t he! A ‘gentle invocation’ is a perfectly apt and beautiful lyrical description. I felt you were very successful in communicating this piece. Fine work!

(more later!)

Edited by AZ_Astro (04/17/14 09:09 AM)

#2262946 - 04/17/14 07:23 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: AZ_Astro]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

22 Earlofmar Dolly is ill!

I`m assuning "Dolly" is in fact a doll since these songs were written with youngsters in mind. She doesn`t feel her best, does she? Will the tablets work? The dquack is shaking his head. Grave prognosis . . You enacted a wonderful portrtayal of bed news. *It`s a good day to bury bad news" Jo Moore, 9/11.

23 zrt90 Richard op19 3

I thought Joplin was comin` up again . . Love what ya done here, man.Great job as usual on that super pee-anno o` yours!

24 ajames 39 8

She didn`t recover then. It happens; get over it! be glad it wasn`t the cat. . . (Can`t you tell I was in the funeral business . . ) Seriously, a thoroughly miserable funereal piece which you did a splendid job on. Op 39 is a treasure trove of super short pieces for the impatient such as myself . . Darned good, shame there isn`t a Dolly Heaven . .

25 Jimmyab 40 8

Great interpretation of theis tuneful spirited piece, with lovely dynamics, light and shade. Piano sounded real good, a joy to listen to. A pro performance.

26 jfmartins 39 20

Baba Yaga. Another on my list. Loved it; Played with vigour and strength. I think I`d like Baba a lot . . . short and, well, is "sweet" the word? "Excellent"`ll have to do.

27 MaryBee 72 2

Lullaby? Will rockin` on a boat, drifting between the trees as night approaches do? Constsnt hypnotic LH gives it substance "You are feeling sleepy!" Flows lovely almost in a "Bolero" way. Well done!

""

#2262950 - 04/17/14 07:40 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: zrtf90]
Greener Offline

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
I'm slowly downloading these to burn onto a CD. I don't really have the time while I'm at the computer to go through the recital on the streaming player and prefer to do most of my listening in the car. As the zip files have not been made here ...

Sorry to be late with the ZIP files. Here they are now for anyone that prefers and can make use of them smile ...

ZIP 1 SwissMS-Greener

ZIP 2 Richard-hreichgott

ZIP 3 hreichgott-MaryBee

ZIP 4-Ganddalf-Morodiene

ZIP 5-MrPozor-ClsscLib

#2262959 - 04/17/14 08:06 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

28 Ganddalf 72 5

Sounds like Mendelssohn . . you give this sensitivity and your usual unique touch. Love to hear you. Great stuff, man.

29 Rupak Bhattacharya 19 4

What is ther not to love about this? The tune and your rendition . . a work of art as we now hear every time you play. Imo. It`s down on my list . . .

30 Ganddalf 72 16

Take 5" was never as good as this. The 5-4 rhythm is hardly noticeable insofar as it feels totally at ease with itself. As do you . . .Brilliant!

31 Chopinoholic/Paul de Koning 72 14

Wonderful piano, school hellish (takes me back to my primary school, now demolished . . .) head teacher walking past, me trying to hide behind the pillar . . . Enjoyed this very much. There must`ve been a load o` work gone into it. Beautiful, man.

32 Chopinaholic 72 15

Those runs at 1 50 like Chopion wrote them, beautifully played by yourself. I`m not putting this on my list. No Siree! Love your confidence! Heard ya turning the page . . .

33 jamieVT 39 5

These are fun pieces because they`re short. You handled this well with confidence good rhythm and dynamics, Nice nice!

34 Morodiene 2 1

Dirgey, then,boy, does it liven up! Back to dirge . . Hard to understand let alone comment on; sounded difficult but you gave it loads of life!

35 Morodiene 2 3

Your piano sings on this one. I enjoyed this one greatly. Lovely work with a full sound.

""

#2262963 - 04/17/14 08:29 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: peterws]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
10 - Richard (zrtf90) - Morning Prayer The simplest things can sometimes be the hardest. But I love how you shaped the phrases with the hymn-like chords.

11 - peterws/pyotr - Op 39 14 FolkSong OK, now you're just freakin' me out with the video effects! Great playing too.

12 - AZ_Astro - At Church Op. 39 No 23 Church-like, but a very Russian sounding Church. You did a great job with it.

13 - peterws/pyotr - Impromptu op72 1 Don't feel bad - very convincing even if it was simplified. Love the pink car.

14 - peterws/pyotr - Peasant`s Prelude Op 39 13 It is a little odd - not your playing, but the composition - and then it just fades out...

15 - patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu An early, angry piece! So dramatic! You did an excellent job bringing it all out. Loved the transition to the middle section. Those fast downward arpeggios at the end of the middle section were very nice. Then the return to the A section was dramatic! Well done!

16 - Ganddalf - Seasons: May Loved the mood of this. Not many "White Nights" in Georgia, USA! The more lively middle section was very smooth, and the transition aback to the A section was very well done. Loved it!

17 - Richard (zrtf90) - Baba Yaga That's funny about the lullaby - there is so much missing from music notation that it's easy to come up with the wrong interpretation. But I think you've got it right now - well done!

18 - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) - The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January Loved the harmony shifts in this at the beginning of the middle section. You handled those fast arpeggios very well, and the little ornaments. The transition back to the A section was nicely done. Thanks for sharing!

19 - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) - The Seasons, Op. 37: 2. February Two months in a row! Nice pedal work and great touch on the detached chords. Nice contrast in the middle section and a great buildup.

21 - gingko2 - Mama You're right, it could be a little louder. When recording, as a test play your loudest chord and adjust the recording volume so that it doesn't clip or distort - then you can record knowing you'll have a good level. Sounded great, though. Loved the ending - very smooth and subtle.

22 - earlofmar - Dolly Is Ill Yes, the simplest pieces can be the hardest since your playing is so exposed. You brought out a simple tenderness that was very well done! I can imagine the little girl saying, "Poor Dolly is sick...".

23 - Richard (zrtf90) - Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3 Yes, the Album Leafs were intended to be gifts that were left in the albums of a host when you were a houseguest. Just something that the composer would dash off as a thank you note! Loved the way you tapered off the ending!

24 - ajames - Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral A funeral march for poor Dolly. Voicing sounds great, and the pedaling and detached chords too. You can learn a lot from playing something like this, and it sounds like you took advantage of it.

25 - timmyab - Waltz op. 40 no. 8 I couldn't tell without the music in front of me that you changed anything. Sounds very convincing. Loved the little tempo changes in the middle section.

26 - jfmartins - Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga Yes, I can see her prancing around on her little chicken legs. Great job!

More to come!

Sam

#2262964 - 04/17/14 08:33 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

36 Morodiene 2 2

I didn`t listen in order; I`m a fella . . .Your expertise in this is immediately apparent; another hard one which I certainly wouldn`t have considered! You have an active LH which sounds great. And the ending was quite something . . . tremendous work, and I couldn`t spot the join!

37 Mr Pozor Mazurka

Plenty here to keep your fingers and brain busy. Yes, recording can be hard work . . You did darned well, man! Keep `em coming . .

38 Carlos 88 37 12

Flows like a river. But watching a film as preparation for playing? Tht`s dedication. The racer`s edge, as it were. It shows. Lovely.

39 Clssc Lib 39 6

Lively and bright playing; is this the Doll that gets sick and dies? A delight to the old ears . . .

Well, guys, That`s my lot! Magnificent effort from everybody. I bet there`s loads are having a small break right now . . .I`m just enjoying playing easier stuff from some time ago. I tried to play some of these I played here. they have been almost forgotten now. . . eek

""

#2262974 - 04/17/14 09:05 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I applaud all of you. Excellent performances. I enjoyed listening to your pieces, and I learned a little bit about Tchaikovsky along the way. Bravo!

#2262987 - 04/17/14 09:40 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]

June - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6 - Sam S:
Despite it being in 4, you give it a very lilting quality, like swaying in 2. A very clear melody that sings out above the LH chords. I like how you build things up in the syncopated major section. Wow that tricky ending with those broken chords, you handle that really well! I do wonder why Tchai was so sad in the summer, and happy in the winter?

Mama - gingko2:
You give such tenderness to this piece, like every note is a clear bell. I think I've found another piece I'd like to teach. Excellent job!

In regards to recording, it is better to record a little lower in volume, and then increase the gain afterwards. That way you don't risk clipping. In Audacity it's pretty easy to do this. I can describe it in detail if you wish.

Dolly Is Ill - earlofmar:
Now here is a piece I have taught before. These are great pieces because while "teaching" pieces or intended for the young (or young at heart) student, they offer a lot emotionally. You really connect with this piece, giving it a somber, delicate approach. I agree, no matter how "simple" a piece may seem, there is always more that one can do with it. Congratulations on a job well done!

Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3 - Richard (zrtf90):
I really enjoy the pastoral quality of this. And then you get to that chromatic LH - crazy stuff! You give this piece a happy bounce to it throughout. I know about the score issues, my piece was hard to find and so I had to settle for a less-than-ideal score.

Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral - ajames:
Definitely a funeral march - every composer's got one I think. You lend this piece the necessary gravity and drama. One recommendation I have is adding a little more pedal so that the dotted rhythm really carries through, and a rit. at the end. Maybe ask what your teacher thinks about that and try it out. Great work on this!

Waltz op. 40 no. 8 - timmyab :
I think everyone of us know what you're talking about with struggling to finish in time. I've learned that we're never really 'done' or 'ready' with a piece, we just get to a point where it'll have to do. Really lovely playing here, though, those running 16s (?) are very graceful. I bet this would sound charming on an acoustic grand. I think I prefer Tchai's waltzes over many of Chopin's.

Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga - jfmartins:
Your playing adds a ferocity to this witch! Very nicely done and well-paced throughout. I really enjoyed this - great job!

Berceuse, Op. 72, No. 2 - MaryBee :
Such a peaceful work, going back and forth between major and minor. You play this beautifully, now I'm in love with this piece! I will have to teach this to one of my students once they're able to play at this level.

Meditation (Op. 72 no.5) - Ganddalf:
Your playing is so well-done in this, it's such a lush piece! I hear a few parts where I can tell you're not comfortable, but they don't ruin the effect of the piece, I could just sit back and enjoy it. Great work.

Op. 19, No. 4 - Nocturne - Rupak Bhattacharya:
I like your playing at the start of the piece, it has the necessary rubato, and clear melody. I'm sure you felt unprepared, but for those of us who don't know the piece, I really couldn't tell. You fooled me! Musically I think you were very clear. If you felt this bad about it, though, please keep working on it. Perhaps just take your time and work things slowly, unmusically, and get the technical aspects down before adding the musical stuff back in. If you have specific issues, perhaps post a topic about that and we can try to help with more detailed suggestions.

#2262994 - 04/17/14 09:57 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
chopinoholic Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
OP 39 10 Polka - peterws/pyotr
What a lovely Polka. You play it really playful with a lot of energy and humor. Well done.

German Song - Richard (zrtf90)
Nice modest playing of this German song. Real clean playing with a touch light as a feather, that brings out the melody nicely.

Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2 - Greener / Jeff
Why the sad face? smile You made this recital a success!
Well played with the sadness and the singing voice. fine ending!

Morning Prayer - Richard (zrtf90)
I can see the people walking to the church for their morning service. Good spiritual playing smile

Op 39 14 FolkSong - peterws/pyotr
Love the reverb, it fits this piece really well. Lovely little gem. Thanks.

At Church Op. 39 No 23 - AZ_Astro
I don't think this sounds uneven. I think you did the piece justice. The slowness does not put me of, you play it very movingly. Thanks for sharing.

Impromptu op72 1 - peterws/pyotr
Too bad of the chopped off first note! I like this piece, it's full of energy! I'd think this is a fun piece to play, pretty difficult though. Nice sound from the recording.
I could not spot the joins.

Peasant`s Prelude Op 39 13 - peterws/pyotr
I actually think you played this better then the Impromptu to be honest. The piece is indeed asking something that cannot be answered. Well done. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Who's Online
125 registered (Alan F, angga888, ando, anamnesis, accordeur, 36251, 34 invisible), 1412 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325889 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission